The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΓ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rinsed potatoes to grill but it started raining. Will they sprout by tomorrow when I try again? Are there any precautions I need to take to prevent sprouting?

I rinsed potatoes to grill but it started raining. Will they sprout by tomorrow when I try again? Are there any precautions I need to take to prevent sprouting?
Keep 'em in a tupperware box in the fridge and that should be it.

Why do people mow their lawns? Is it simply an aesthetic thing or is there some practical purpose to it?

Are there many evil gnomes over there in Grottland? Over here in Murica they seem mostly benign.

They're not the problem, it's those zombie gnomes that have all but wiped out the lawn flamingo population.

Oh my goodness. :cry:

From now on I promise to always cut my lawn for the flamingo's sake.

Why do people mow their lawns? Is it simply an aesthetic thing or is there some practical purpose to it?
I am not quite sure how serious you are, but I will assume "totally". If you do not mow your lawn at all the grass will grow very tall (I have seen lawns that we about 3 foot tall). This is pretty much unusable as a lawn. Even in less severe cases, mowing your lawn gets more grass to grow in it compared to broad leafed plants and moss, as grass is more resistant to cutting than those plants. Also cutting off the flowering / seed heads makes grass put more effort into leaves, so you get a better lawn and less grass pollen.

I am not quite sure how serious you are, but I will assume "totally". If you do not mow your lawn at all the grass will grow very tall (I have seen lawns that we about 3 foot tall). This is pretty much unusable as a lawn. Even in less severe cases, mowing your lawn gets more grass to grow in it compared to broad leafed plants and moss, as grass is more resistant to cutting than those plants. Also cutting off the flowering / seed heads makes grass put more effort into leaves, so you get a better lawn and less grass pollen.

The question was meant to be serious.

You say tall grass makes lawns unusable...unusable for what? If you have kids, then they might play on it. If you have dogs they use it as their toilet. I supposed you could lose a kid/dog in 3 feet of grass.

But not everyone has a kid or a dog and most adults don't use their lawns for much of anything that I can tell. It's just kinda of there. Yet people get concerned when their grass grows a couple inches. It seems kinda weird to me.

If you don't use your lawn then no, there's no practical purpose to even having one, might as well have asphalt or rocks. But short green grass looks prettier.

However most people do cut their lawns way too short. You should cut on your highest or close to highest lawn mower setting and just cut more often if grows too fast. It should be like 1.5 - 2 inches. You're not supposed to cut more than like a quarter inch off at a time cus it injures the grass apparently. Taller grass is for one more lush to walk on barefoot, but really it's healthier for the grass, it self shades so it uses less water and can choke out weeds easier and thus needs less weed killer. People like to scalp their lawns down to golf course turf green levels which is kind of ridiculous unless you really are going to golf on in.

No there are. HOAs and local governments typically require some length. There's not much they can do if you don't though. They can fine you but you can refuse to pay it and they'll put a lien on your house. Which is bad if you try to sell it but meaningless otherwise.

HOAs can revoke your right of ownership on a property in their jurisdiction. I wouldn't recommend just saying "nah" to their bylaws.

If you don't use your lawn then no, there's no practical purpose to even having one, might as well have asphalt or rocks.
Having grass, or better yet true green areas (trees/plants), helps a lot in making sure your land is rainstorm proof and reduces the load on (municipal) drainage. Compared to asphalt, grass and especially trees also result in a sizeable reduction of the effective temperature on sunny days.

Two reasons to mow the lawn are to cut down on hiding places for mosquitoes (they love long grass, and if you want to be surrounded by a literal cloud of them, just walk through long grass - especially in the morning or evening), and to reduce the appeal for mice moving in.

We never had a mouse problem in my old neighborhood until the city decided not to mow the grass on their own property.

Having grass, or better yet true green areas (trees/plants), helps a lot in making sure your land is rainstorm proof and reduces the load on (municipal) drainage. Compared to asphalt, grass and especially trees also result in a sizeable reduction of the effective temperature on sunny days.

Actually I was being kind of facetious but you are right. If you don't have foliage then your yard can just wash away. So some landscaping is pretty important, and asphalt or concrete would be hot potentially.

Also for short grass, tall grass allows bugs to thrive but especially concerning is ticks. Lyme disease is on the rise throughout the us and a legit health concern right now. Ticks get on you by hiding in tall grasses and latching on when you walk through.

As far as hoas, maybe it depends on the state, and surely it depends on the bylaws you sign, but I do not think mine can evict. Though we are individual homes, not condos.

shortest grass = less mowing = less time expenditure

therefore, always cut it as short as possible.

Anybody here have a robot lawnmower? Their popularity is gaining here. Though I've yet to see one in my neighbourhood. I suspect they are the ones who will initiate the inevitable robot uprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom