The Very Many Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread ΛΓ

Status
Not open for further replies.
shortest grass = less mowing = less time expenditure

therefore, always cut it as short as possible.

If you are anyplace with hot summers, grass too short doesn't do as well in really hot sunlight, and doesn't protect the ground and roots as well. Better to leave it like 2 inches tall.

That's not actually true, or at least not proportionally. Grass has like an ideal height it tries to get to so it actually grows faster when it's short and then tapers off. So yeah if you scalp it and then let it regrow to like 6 inches you'll mow less overall at the expense of your healthy lawn, but if you said I'm always going to mow when it's a half inch higher than my cut height you'd mow less keeping it at 2-3 inches than under 2 inches.

Anybody here have a robot lawnmower? Their popularity is gaining here. Though I've yet to see one in my neighbourhood. I suspect they are the ones who will initiate the inevitable robot uprising.

I have only recently heard ads for them. Do they work like the robot vacuums? Cus those kind of suck. When I was a kid I used to mow neighbors lawns and I thought wouldn't it be awesome if you could mow a lawn with a computer on it to memorize the pattern and they have it run the pattern like a track later? Well I guess I was way ahead of my time! Though I don't know if the robot lawnmowers are programmed and run a specific route or are like the vacuums that just bounce around with sensors. I'd imagine the former.

I have only recently heard ads for them. Do they work like the robot vacuums? Cus those kind of suck. When I was a kid I used to mow neighbors lawns and I thought wouldn't it be awesome if you could mow a lawn with a computer on it to memorize the pattern and they have it run the pattern like a track later? Well I guess I was way ahead of my time! Though I don't know if the robot lawnmowers are programmed and run a specific route or are like the vacuums that just bounce around with sensors. I'd imagine the former.
Yeah they're like robot vacuums armed with knives. I'm told the cheaper robot vacuums suck but the pricier ones can do a solid job. Though some areas are just not robot friendly. I think the lawnmower robots work by a combinations of area scanning and markers you put in the ground to make boarders and stuff. Would be pretty sweet if it worked. Especially if you have a big lawn.

Random fact time (assumed to be true - I forget the book I read it in):-
Apparently King Louis XIV is to blame for people having grass/gardens at their homes.
The idea being that because is was so rich he was able to make a statement with the Gardens of Versailles along the lines of "look at me, I'm so wealthy I can afford to leave all this land unfarmed and not worry about the lack of produce/animals on it" - i.e. it worked as a status symbol.
This then passes down to French nobleman, who in turn pass it down to the middle-class and so on down the chain.
So having a lawn becomes a status symbol and an indication that you have money to spare (and are generally better than the peasants who need to farm all their land!). :king:

shortest grass = less mowing = less time expenditure = dried-out/ yellow/ dead grass = additional time, seed and water to repair = zero-sum game
FTFY
Or, if your lawn is large enough, buy a sheep :sheep: Autonomous, self-propelled, and even adds free fertiliser. Baa-aaa-aaa-aaah!

Though you'd then need to fence off anything you don't want eaten, and might also want to reconsider walking around barefoot...
Anybody here have a robot lawnmower?
My brother-in-law's GF has one. Her son had to build a little house for it, so it had somewhere to hide where their cat couldn't piddle on it.

If this is a common problem, then it's the cats who'll be first against the wall during the Robot Revolution, not us... :whew:

Last edited:
So having a lawn becomes a status symbol and an indication that you have money to spare (and are generally better than the peasants who need to farm all their land!). :king:
Fast-forward to the 20th/21st centuries and it becomes illegal for people to plant anything in their front yards other than grass, trees, and flowers. Raised beds of veggies are illegal in many municipalities, even when neatly arranged in well-maintained beds and planters.

Fast-forward to the 20th/21st centuries and it becomes illegal for people to plant anything in their front yards other than grass, trees, and flowers. Raised beds of veggies are illegal in many municipalities, even when neatly arranged in well-maintained beds and planters.
I assume those are the same Municipalities that also ban clotheslines 'cause "It degrades the aesthetics of the community" or some such nonsense.

I assume those are the same Municipalities that also ban clotheslines 'cause "It degrades the aesthetics of the community" or some such nonsense.
Clotheslines are fine, as far as I know, in homes that have back yards.

They're not allowed where I live, though, since apparently putting a clothesline on my balcony wouldn't be "attractive" but people keeping a pile of furniture, truck tires, and bicycles on their balconies is better.

Due to extensive carpeting in my suite, if I want a clothesline I'm going to have to rig it up in the kitchen and around the corner to the entrance.

It's a nice racket, laundry-wise. The driers here almost never get stuff completely dry in a single cycle.

It's a nice racket, laundry-wise. The driers here almost never get stuff completely dry in a single cycle.
Apparently many college campus driers are the same.
https://www.tigerknight.com/cc/2000-12-24
Plus i remember when my parents drier broke, having to go to the laundromat and then having to hang up the clothes when we got home to let them finish drying.(it was in January, and we had to wait 2 weeks for the new drier.)

For a second there I thought you were talking about beards.
Random fact time (assumed to be true - I forget the book I read it in):-
Apparently King Louis XIV is to blame for people having grass/gardens at their homes.
The idea being that because is was so rich he was able to make a statement with the Gardens of Versailles along the lines of "look at me, I'm so wealthy I can afford to leave all this land unfarmed and not worry about the lack of produce/animals on it" - i.e. it worked as a status symbol.
This then passes down to French nobleman, who in turn pass it down to the middle-class and so on down the chain.
Luxurious gardens existed a long time before that.

You're assuming I care about my lawn beyond meeting the standards imposed by the local authorities.

But anyway, no, I use the shortest possible setting on my mower and the grass is a beautiful green regardless. It certainly is more lush for barefoot use when it's about 5" or around there, though. That's a good point.

I'm thinking about going to a movie this weekend: Deadpool 2 or A Quiet Place?

Where in Toronto will we be able to watch the champions league final some hours after it is played?

Some work colleges and I will be arriving in Toronto about 4pm local time, some hours after the champions league final on Saturday. Is there any sports bar or something that is likely to be showing a replay of the game that evening?

It's called ‘football’, not ‘soccer’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom