Tomatekh's New Civilizations

I'll just say everyone should be cautiously optimistic. Although I did solve the specific crash that was in the save, I don't know if that was the only crash affecting the mod. Honestly, this is probably the most complex mod I made for V (even more so than Xia), so there's a fair chance there might be other problems I still need to fix.

Again, if you encounter any bugs or crashes please try to include an error report. If you are able to provide saves with a repeatable crash, that greatly increases my chance of actually fixing the problem ( and if those saves have a minimal mod list so it's not a huge effort just to load up, that also helps :p )

The last crash ended up being related to city-states and barbarians. If you do get a crash, you can also try a game with both turned off to see if it works. There was also the potential for a graphical base crash with the "unknown resource revealed" mechanic, but I think this was either an all or none situation (either this never worked for you or it always did).

Is it compatible with JFDDLC?

It was when I originally released it. I have no idea if JFD made changes to his mods since then. If he has and it's no longer compatible, it will be up to him to include compatibility in his next update. The mod has had enough problems working as it is without also accommodating changes to other mods.

I would love to test it in this week. Well done, Tomatekh! Do you have any unreleased project related with Civ 5 that you want to keep working on other Than the great spy? I hope you do because you are a such elite modder.

I have been motivated recently to finish up any loose ends I left with Civ V modding, but there's other issues holding back my other stuff. I am looking into it. It'll also depend on if the Great Spy still needs more work as I only have so much time to mod these days.

Awesome work and thanks for the effort in updating and bringing it back! Love the quality of all your mods (incl all your civs), so very excited to see this!!

Great to hear the save and feedback was valuable!! Can't wait to try this new version!! Unfortunately I'll be away for 2 weeks as of tomorrow, but will for sure test the new version straight after and provide feedback...

Thanks! Your bug reports have always been a great help when fixing my mods!

Last edited:
Thanks for quick reply.

Looking at my code, I realize I forgot to also check minor civ territory when I check major civ territory. A simple oversight. I'll fix it next time I do an update, thanks!

Brief report: just started quick game with a.o. Great Spy mod and Harappa. Stayed in Ancient Era but so far all concerning Great Spy mod looks good! Only observation is that the Mystery Cult pantheon is bit underwhelming, as one typically won't have much unemployed citizens in the beginning. Perhaps this can be improved by more faith or gold, or providing some sort of Intelligence bonus?

However on Harappa as I was playing with this civ, I remembered there still being a bug open (few pages back, around February) causing bullock cart 'trade luxury'-feature not to work in CS territory. Is this something you could still fix?

Another weird one I hadn't seen before yet (which I expect to be more of CP issue tbh) is that I can't create land trade route even though target city is within 10 spaces of my capital. From a 2nd city closer to target cities (8 spaces or so) I am able to utilize the Harappan free caravan to create land trade route.

My mod list:
CP v88 (7-18-1)
Great Spy v12
Harappa v55
HR v45
E&D v3

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    329.6 KB · Views: 227
Another question for people using the new version: Do you see the event messages informing you when an AI uses a Great Spy against you? I know the AI is using the unit, but I don't remember if I fixed the notification issue.
Brief report: just started quick game with a.o. Great Spy mod and Harappa. Stayed in Ancient Era but so far all concerning Great Spy mod looks good! Only observation is that the Mystery Cult pantheon is bit underwhelming, as one typically won't have much unemployed citizens in the beginning. Perhaps this can be improved by more faith or gold, or providing some sort of Intelligence bonus?

However on Harappa as I was playing with this civ, I remembered there still being a bug open (few pages back, around February) causing bullock cart 'trade luxury'-feature not to work in CS territory. Is this something you could still fix?

I actually did fix the Harappa thing internally months ago. However, any fix to a cradle civ also requires me to edit the cradle pack and I usually hold off on updating the cradle pack until a few fixes pile up because its size makes it a hassle to upload/download. Then I took my break from modding. It will get uploaded eventually.

Do you still make new mods or new civilizations?(My computer too old to play civ 6, crash and crash)

So, two people have commented that the new Great Spy build seemed much more stable. I think it still has some more bugs, but I'm going to post the update to the download links. It might get me some more feedback to correct everything. If it still proves too crash happy, I'll just take it down again.

I've also corrected the issue with the unknown resources' icons not displaying in the strategic view.

Last edited:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1110796159
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1110793290

So, they're released!?!?!

Okay, the artwork... the icons are okay, the leaders are unfortunate, and the art for both (especially Poverty Point) don't have much historical merit. However, I know a lot of people were looking forward to these mods – and I hated leaving them as they were – so I did the best I could to finish them and get them to a releasable state. I hope the art doesn’t stop anyone from enjoying the mods.

There's a link to a direct download via Dropbox on the Steam pages.

And with that, I've actually released every mod I said I was going to release. I think that allows me to declare myself the best Civ V modder!!! :p

These will likely be the last mods that I release for Civ V. I hope everyone has enjoyed my work for the game over the past few years!

Let me know about any bugs you find and I'll do my best to fix them.

Last edited:
Glad to see them out (officially)! I've always enjoyed your mods tremendously and they - together with works of a line of other modders - have definitely been part of the reason why I went into civ5 modding. Thank you Tom :)

Congrats on the release! Thanks for your years of hard work and excellent mods.

Thanks everyone!

I hope you're not too disappointed with the art... I know everyone was secretly hoping for one last batch of Janboruta or Leugi or Sukritact stuff :p

I figured it was better than never releasing them at all, and I felt bad just leaving the mods like they were. I also fixed a number of bugs that were in the previous builds.

Actually, I don't think the Poverty Point art is that bad. Certainly not the quality of my other mods - and completely historically inaccurate - but overall okay. The Mississippi is definitely less so (especially the leader stuff). However, on the positive side, the Mississippi's art actually has some historical merit :p

Thanks everyone!

I hope you're not too disappointed with the art... I know everyone was secretly hoping for one last batch of Janboruta or Leugi or Sukritact stuff :p

I figured it was better than never releasing them at all, and I felt bad just leaving the mods like they were. I also fixed a number of bugs that were in the previous builds.

Actually, I don't think the Poverty Point art is that bad. Certainly not the quality of my other mods - and completely historically inaccurate - but overall okay. The Mississippi is definitely less so (especially the leader stuff). However, on the positive side, the Mississippi's art actually has some historical merit :p

Well the art looks better than any I've ever done, so quit moaning :p

Well the art looks better than any I've ever done, so quit moaning :p

Well, art quality matters. There's no denying this.

Actually, I think the reason that Poverty Point seems more popular than the Mississippi on Steam (despite the Mississippi being a much more recognizable civ) is because Poverty Point has better art :p

Of course, no one probably cares about Civ V mods anymore or looks at the V workshop, anyway :/

Last edited:
They're both already at around 1000 subscribers so still quite some demand for it... :)

Mississippi is working fine, no issues found. For Poverty Point however I still found a few bugs (also posted 15-March):
- Culture Threshold bug: at certain moments the threshold for next cultural policy drops, seemingly random moments? In this game it happened after enacting Liberty Opener and once after discovering Trapping/gaining Foxman/creating EM (not sure which was the trigger). Think this is a big one. Logs attached.
- The Foxman not being selectable with the Libery Finisher. Indeed recognize issue with unique faith purchase units from reports on other civ-mods, but believe some have found way to deal with it by allowing AI to select them but then immediately change back to default unit? Not sure but believe it works like this for CL's Zapotecs? Option to leverage this?
- Looking back at your 15 March reaction: did you include the fix for Old Man Above?

My mod list:
CP 8-16
RtP v40
CulDiv v15
ExCE v20
E&D v3
EE v6
HR Complete v45
PeC v6
RER v4
More Luxuries v155
CIV-Linked Great Generals v11
Civ VI Style City Names v1
The Mississippi v40 (playing as)

Will try and test Great Spy later...

Attachments

• Poverty Point Culture.zip
    126.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Poverty Point Culture Trapping-Foxman-EM.zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Poverty Point Liberty Finisher.zip
    71.8 KB · Views: 144
Started a game with Kuikuro and with same mod set as above.

- In CiD/RtP the worker gets (instant) build charges. When improving forest with Kuikuro worker it doesn't get build charges, but instead 9 (?) turns of building the farm. Is it possible to keep the worker build charges from CiD/RtP in combination with the UA? (assume it's related?)
- Should they get a jungle start bias? Not sure they have that now as few starts near jungle...
- Noticed previously that with PeC, the decision Hold the Kuarup Festival did not provide a 50% longer Festival

Attachments

• Kuikuro worker.zip
    76.5 KB · Views: 163
- The culture problem in an interaction with the CP as I adjusted for it in normal games. I thought I also corrected for it when using the CP, but - since I'm not sure of all of the workings of the CP - it's possible I only partially adjusted for the issue. However, it's also equally as likely that I did adjust for it correctly and a later update to CP completely negated the support. I'll go back and see if it's possible to correct for without also interfering with normal games.

- I believe this is another issue with the CP. However, it likely can't be corrected for without compromising it working correctly in normal games. I use my own method to adjust for unique religious units which does automatically replace the great prophet and also corrects for the bug which allows civs to faith purchase other civ's unique religious units (which you'll see when using civs like Bhutan and the Zapotecs which use the other method). The CP corrects this bug but apparently interacts with my method. However, if it's between choosing it working in normal games and it working in CP games, I'm going side with normal games.

(Both of those are examples of why modders hate the CP/CBP. Besides over-frequent updates that completely negate any previous support you might have added, it [even just the CP] also changes a lot of interactions with the base game that it doesn't need to. I'm still of the opinion that the CBP is essentially a total conversion mod and, as such, any CBP support for other mods should fall on Gazebo).

- The Old Man Above will correctly adjust for changes in the threshold and game speed. The implementation hasn't changed, though. It still forces the spawn earlier instead of actually changing the threshold as that's simply easier to do.

~~~

- I'm not going to support the instant worker charges in my mods, and your error report for the Kuikuro sums up why. See, I actually already added support for it to the Kuikuro... twice. If it's not working now that means JFD likely changed something about it since I last added support. If it's also not currently working for the Kuikuro that likely means the support I added for similar situations in the Garamantes, Xia, Shang, Caral, Harappa, and the Olmec is also not working. Of course, no one informed me that its implementation was changed and that's collectively several hours of work I did on my mods wasted. My motivation to support also isn't helped since I don't think that instant worker charges works very well with the Civ V mechanics. I'm more than happy to support JFD's mods as he's an amazing talent and his stuff adds a lot of great ideas, but for changes like this which are so far reaching while also affecting such an inherent base game mechanic, I feel support would be best handled on his end to adjust for specific exceptions.

- Kuikuro already has a jungle start bias.

- I've looked into it before. Mutual support can't really be added without Leugi also updating PeC which is unlikely to happen at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom