Unit Request Thread

Hey, I'm making a Dutch East India Company mod and I'm looking for a Model for my UU the Dutch East Indiaman. There is already a model but the mod it was created for has been removed and the creator is inactive.
I found the mod that originally had that model on my old computer. It uses the pre-G+K method of adding unit art, so it would need an update to actually work, but in \Art\Units\ you'll find the frigate reskin you're looking for.

Attachments

• Dutch Republic (v 5).zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 370
Hello my sirs; is there any sort of generic horse archer without a head covering, similar to this guy? (To be the graphics of my Magyars' Cuman UU)

Also, how about a generic trireme graphic that I can use for the Minoans' Pentekonter? I know of a civ4 trireme pack that's been brought up several times on this thread, and those would work, but I've tried converting 3D graphics from civ4 before, and, um... well, anyway, the Pentekonter is currently just using the Quinquereme graphics, and I tried changing the symbol on the sail to an octopus, but heheehehhhhehehhhe;h;HAoH;heNO

I'm tinkering around with a mod/scenario that focuses on the Ancient Greek world. As I would like to expand the number and types of units available in the ancient era I find myself in need of some more unit models. Luckily I've found some stuff from Civ that would be smashing. The trouble is I have no experience in converting such things. If anyone would be willing to convert some or all of these units I would be deeply obliged.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/greek-ancient-age-unit-pack.12698/

Last edited:
... the KV-2 heavy tank ... the SU-100Y tank destroyer.
As far as the 3D art, danrell converted a KV-2 and an SU-100 already with his WWII USSR unit pack. (See pic).

As far as the code for the mod, you wouldn't really convert from Civ4, but it's pretty easy to do. Would these represent new classes for everybody (e.g., heavy tank and tank destroyer) or just for Russia? Either way, check out Gedemon's "new unit" tutorial thread linked in danrell's post.

As far as the 3D art, danrell converted a KV-2 and an SU-100 already with his WWII USSR unit pack. (See pic).

As far as the code for the mod, you wouldn't really convert from Civ4, but it's pretty easy to do. Would these represent new classes for everybody (e.g., heavy tank and tank destroyer) or just for Russia? Either way, check out Gedemon's "new unit" tutorial thread linked in danrell's post.

Thanks, though my idea is to have those units as different mods vs in packs so that it is usable/spawnable with IGE and hopefully the military city-states can do the "They know the secrets of (just an example) KV-2, if you have researched X and are their ally they will gift you this unit." That way the file size is small and say you don't like one tank, you can just use the other because they are totally separate. Also don't mean to sound pushy, SU-100 is not the same as SU-100Y. One letter difference :p

If not converting then would I follow Gedemon's tutorial and that's it? Though it says "It assumes that you know how to create a basic mod, and understand the meaning of "OnModActivated"" which I don't know how to do either of those this is a totally new thing for me so I'm going to need a lot of handholding. But hopefully in the future this means I can make more units beyond these. I'm thinking of making the units available to all just to be fair and make it easier and I don't really play Russia much.

Hi there.

I'm trying to make a new unique unit for the Shoshone for a 4 unique components mod specially balanced for the Community Patch. The CBP gives pathfinders to every civ, so they need a new unique unit to replace it. I need to make a unit based on the Yellow Brow (Ohamupe) military society

Description of the yellow brow society from "Kiowa, Apache, and Comanche military societies: enduring veterans, 1800 to the present, 1st ed." by William C. Meadows (1999). Pertinent physical descriptions of their appearance are bolded:
The Yellow Brows were identified by a short ‘‘cockscomb’’ hair style that
contained a square bang plastered with yellow clay. Members cut off all their
hair except that on the ‘‘tip of the head,’’ painting the rest of their heads
yellow as well. The Yellow Brows consisted of one hundred to one hundred
and fifty men (twenty to thirty according to Lowie 1915a:813), with the
bravest serving as officers. The Yellow Brows maintained several‘‘contrary’’
warrior characteristics in their induction, battle behavior, and daily speech
patterns. Membership seems to have been voluntary: when members asked
a man to join, an affirmative answer meant he did not wish to join, while a
negative reply indicated his desire to join, whereupon the members sat him
down and cut and painted his hair to the society specifications. One of
Shimkin’s consultants indicated that ‘‘the club was made up from all the
bands,’’ and membership was for life. Elder members could remain as less
active members but had to find replacements. A fixed number of member-
ship positions existed.
The Yellow Brows were composed of men generally considered braver
than those in the Logs. When an enemy was seen, the members stopped,
gathered together, and began to sing and dance before fighting. Yellow Brow
chiefs were distinguished by fringes on their shirtsleeves and leggings. In
battle, officers carried seven-foot-long curved staffs that were painted,
wrapped with strips of otter fur, and adorned with eagle feather pendants.
Some of these staffs had an attached knife blade tip. These staffs were used
to pull fleeing enemies from their horses and as nonretreat staffs to stake
oneself down in battle. As one of Shimkin’s consultants described, ‘‘When-
ever an enemy is getting the best of the people, the chief will stick this into
the ground and stay there. The Ohamupe will see him, come back and save
him. Just the chiefs and sub-chiefs did this. These lances may be painted
blue or red.’’ Whenever a society chief died, the people prepared the body
and interred it in the cliffs. He was succeeded by a subchief. In addition to
serving as a vanguard for tribal movements, they also served as scouts.

My plan is to modify the Pathfinder warrior unit by swapping their heads with Iroquois Mohawk warriors' heads, but painting their heads yellow. I'd probably keep the weapons the same, except for a single unit in the back row, which would have to be swapped with the scout's staff.

For animations I would use the mohawk warrior's animations for most of the units, but swap out one of the units in the back with the scout's animations, reskinned as a modified mohawk warrior except for the staff.

I have no idea how to do any of this, however.

Last edited:
Any chance of getting some Late Roman/Byzantine units? Civ4 had a set of them but i dont think they ever got ported.

I'm considering doing a 3/4UC mod addition for CL's Inuit civilization, but I hadn't realized no one has ever made a dog sled team.

@Barathor has already made an excellent unit icon, but there's no unit graphics. to accompany it. a wolf has already been created, so adding a sled seems like the easy part
upload_2018-3-28_13-40-57.png

Sounds excellent.
We can use the spear projectile from the impi in that case. Reskin the 2 "charioteers" with Civitar's Unaak skin, and then it's a matter of scaling.

The huskies will animate a bit weird if it's using a horse's animation's but that's a small price to pay. Due to the difference in leg proportions between a dog and a horse, is it possible to shorten the limbs animation, or would you need to have the animation extend below the ground?

Thanks so much for taking this on. I'm sure @mikeburnfire, the originator of the 4UC project for vanilla, and @trystero49, the coder for the original Inuit civ, will appreciate be interested in this as well.

Sounds excellent.
We can use the spear projectile from the impi in that case. Reskin the 2 "charioteers" with Civitar's Unaak skin, and then it's a matter of scaling.

The huskies will animate a bit weird if it's using a horse's animation's but that's a small price to pay. Due to the difference in leg proportions between a dog and a horse, is it possible to shorten the limbs animation, or would you need to have the animation extend below the ground?

Thanks so much for taking this on. I'm sure @mikeburnfire, the originator of the 4UC project for vanilla, and @trystero49, the coder for the original Inuit civ, will appreciate be interested in this as well.

Using another animation projectile might be feasible but it will be the last item of the experiment. Directly copying the .ftsxml and art defines for the Impi projectile would likely create a timing issue since the two projectiles are very probably on different timing sequences. I can experiment with it by modifying only the art defines but worst case is that it uses the projectile from the Hittite chariot unit, which won't be very noticeable.

Regarding the driver/spearman combo of the Hittite unit, I can remove the driver altogether by simply not assigning any mesh to those bones, rendering it effectively invisible in game. That would actually make the unit more realistic since there can only be two dogs pulling the sled using the existing horse animation bones. I'll put the "spearman" at the back of the sled on the rails as both driver and spearman. It should look fine that way. I will throw some gear on the sled for an added touch of realism.

I can't really tweak individual bones if they are part of an armature. I can scale an entirely independent armature of an animation, but tweaking bones that are parented to other bones will result in undesired deformation of the animation. I might be able to tweak the neck a bit, but I will do that last in the event that it looks awful. That way, I can reset it back to its original location if necessary.

An M113 APC unit would be great ... wikipedia says it was named the most significant military vehicle in history by military channel, whatever that is!

Top Bottom