US General Election, 2008 (Early Electoral College Maps)

North King

blech
Using polls cited on Wikipedia, I figured out the general election electoral vote for the two candidates. Keep in mind that this is an extremely early set of polls, so they should only give a rough idea of who has more catchup work to do.

I also don't know the sample size for any of the polls, so they could have ridiculously large margins of error; however they mostly seem reasonable.

Depending on how the campaign went, Obama could win in a landslide or lose in a landslide, at least in the electoral college. He would win the popular vote, most likely, but a number of states could swing by very narrow margins. However, I believe that to some degree this would be offset by thorough campaigning

Clinton would win a general election in the electoral college, but the win would be pretty narrow either way. The number of swing states is very few. I suspect there's some polling error here, and the bias of recent campaigning in, say, Ohio. If Ohio were a swing state, note that she would not automatically win, and it would indeed come down to the swing states.

This does raise the question of what a Clinton/Obama ticket or vice versa would do: would they destroy each other's advantages, and lose thoroughly, or would they manage to take both of their core demographics, and win handily?

We may well find out, depending on how the primary goes from here.

Anyway, feel free to discuss.

I have recently became convinced that it actually nescassary for Obama to take clinton on his ticket. Do to here being the favorite of Florida and Ohio.

Care to explain the color coatig.

A lot of people say they'll vote one way in surveys and such but turn out to vote another way when it actually comes down to it. Must be because they don't want to appear racist or whatever.

I have recently became convinced that it actually nescassary for Obama to take clinton on his ticket. Do to here being the favorite of Florida and Ohio.

Hillary Clinton would never play second fiddle to Obama.

She would. When she says she would be on a ticket with Obama do you really think she's that deluded.

I carried over the colors from the Democratic Primary to the general election maps. Obama's gold, and Clinton's blue. For the record, Romney was in brown and Huckabee in green. McCain obviously gets red, since he's the nominee of the Communists Republicans.

;)

A lot of people say they'll vote one way in surveys and such but turn out to vote another way when it actually comes down to it. Must be because they don't want to appear racist or whatever.

The polls have been pretty good for the primaries, actually. Not perfect, but within the margin of error.

Alright so basically your pictures say Hillary will win no matter what? I do find Pennsylvania, and West Virginia switching from comlete Republican to complete democrate under clinton dubious at best.

Alright so basically your pictures say Hillary will win no matter what?

Not quite. They say her votes in those states are outside the margin of error in current polls, so if it were held today, she'd probably win.

I do find Pennsylvania, and West Virginia switching from comlete Republican to complete democrate under clinton dubious at best.

Pennsylvania I have no doubt about. Obama's only getting started there, and Clinton has a strong appeal among the Rust Belt Democrats. West Virginia is a little more strange.

Alright so basically your pictures say Hillary will win no matter what? I do find Pennsylvania, and West Virginia switching from comlete Republican to complete democrate under clinton dubious at best.

Keep in mind that he has assigned Pennsylvania to Clinton despite the last 5 polls of Clinton vs. McCain in PA being statistical ties.

And risk him losing valuble independent, Anyone But Clinton people, and Moderate Republican voters? Not a chance

I find these to be better. (although not perfect since they assign new jersey and maryland to different states. Despite the fact of their national vote compacting.

And risk him losing valuble independent, Anyone But Clinton people, and Moderate Republican voters? Not a chance

Don't worry. He'll lose all of the Moderate Republicans when they're choosing between a Moderate Republican and the most liberal member of the Senate. Obama only got Republicans voting for him because some of them cared more about getting rid of Hillary than voting in an already decided GOP primary/caucas.

Obama is only more liberal then clinton because of two issues. 1.Completely unimportant issue that i forget. 2. He voted for a bill that would have a third party investigate senators for any wrongdoing. (Previously senators investigated themselves. So basically they were imune to punishment.) And they for god knows why count that as a liberal position. And Clinton I believe in ranked nineteenth so only those two seperated them.

Please dont use polls this far out to even think about what the popular vote would be like.

The biggest fact of separating the 3 candidates is that, for many years, Hillary has had an exceptionally high negative rating, relative to the other candidates running.

Obama is only more liberal then clinton because of two issues. 1.Completely unimportant issue that i forget. 2. He voted for a bill that would have a third party investigate senators for any wrongdoing. (Previously senators investigated themselves. So basically they were imune to punishment.) And they for god knows why count that as a liberal position. And Clinton I believe in ranked nineteenth so only those two seperated them.

The point is that they're both very liberal, and that when people see Republicans voting in Democratic primaries, they should realize that they're mostly doing so strategically. Neither Obama, nor Clinton, nor the Dreamtck't should expect votes from Republicans in the General Election.

If they're voting strategically then why the hell are they electing more electabale Obama.

*WARNING*

Got some "TagUs" spyware opening your link North King. Be careful everybody.

System restore is a beautiful thing.

~Chris
Sure you werent looking at anything "questonable" on the side? :mischief:

Top Bottom