Version 0.9.8 Discussion

phungus420

Deity
This thread is for giving feedback on the recently uploaded 0.9.8 version. Made available as an installer on 14 Dec 09.

Legends of Revolution has been updated to version 0.9.8. It is not prior version save game compatible. The main notable changes are that you should no longer need to launch as an administrator on Vista and Windows 7, you may now disable Legend Units, and the AI will now no longer announce that it is preparing for war (WHEOOHRN diplo denial) unless all other diplomatic denials have been overcome. So don't expect that Orange fist to warn you about Stalin preparing for war if he hates you already, his diplo denial wol't change from "We just don't like you enough", so there will be no prior warning to invasion.

Changelog:

V 0.9.8 changelist:
  • Fully updated to RevDCM 1.61 + current SVN changes
    • Updates betterAI version to .82j
    • Updates BUG component to 4.2
    • Eliminates Python Callbacks (should improve peformance)
    • Barbarian Civ settling now scales better with game speed
  • Fully normalized LoR with BtS, so no crucial strings are missing (should make things easier on scenario makers)
    • Set back Civilizations (Austria reverted to the HRE, other changes are under the hood, such as changing the civilizations info string for Sioux to CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA)
    • LSystem Files
    • Added back in missing unit strings such as UNIT_HORSE_ARCHER
  • Add new game options, No Legends and No Wonders
  • Updated installer. Removes need for "Launch as Admin" for Vista Users
  • Removed Protected Cruiser and rebalanced Industrial Era Navy
  • Art updates (Model for Babylonian Longbowman, Ethnic Spy and Achilleszero's General's models, Button for Roman Heavy Footman)
  • Normalized Light and Full versions
  • Set up GameSpeedInfos file so that LoR ends in 2100 AD with a 10% increase in default number of turns
  • Add diplo text for all LoR leaders
  • Update Scenarios to 0.9.8 build, and fixed all bugs in scenarios
  • Changed order of DENIAL_TOO_MANY_WARS code in CvTeamAI.cpp
  • More Translations; specifically German should be eniterely translated

Okay so I guess you answered my previous (other thread) question. SO now that I have this version installed, can you rebuild the GOTM file or am I just out of luck now that I uninstalled and reinstalled the new version

You can simply reinstall 0.9.7. Old versions are still in the download list. Bigfatjohnny is running the GotM, so it's up to him if he wants to update it to the new version or not. I can't really comment on it. Generally I'd just say finish any 0.9.7 game you got going on, and then update when you're ready. 0.9.7c is a good build, no bugs (other then MP) are known to exist in it either.

Does this mean that Austria is gone for good?? I've been looking forward to play them for 3 months ;( And what does the bit about Sioux/NA mean in non-technical language?

I hate to stress you ;) but what is the current ETA for the MP-compatible version?

Does this mean that Austria is gone for good?? I've been looking forward to play them for 3 months
Yes, I brought back the HRE. This brings things in line with what an official expansion would look like, Firaxis would never remove a civ; and there is no way I'm going to have Austria, Germany, and the HRE all in the game, that's just crazy. Plus it was easy to convert Austria back into the HRE.

( And what does the bit about Sioux/NA mean in non-technical language?
There is no way to explain this without being technical. Basically I changed the strings that identify the classes to default BtS strings if they had been changed. For instance in BtS the string that identifies the civilization in the XML for the Native Americans is CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA. In prior version of LoR the Sioux used CIVILIATION_SIOUX, they have been reverted to CIVILIZATION_NATIVE_AMERICA to bring things back in line with BtS and to make scenario conversions easier.

I hate to stress you ;) but what is the current ETA for the MP-compatible version?
This is glider's main focus in RevDCM right now. Originally he was shooting for a Christmas release, but I can tell you that's not going to happen. I'd wager February to be honest. Basically as soon as possible, but the coding involved is non trivial.

Been giving LoR 9.8.7 a try. I haven't played since about 9.6. One thing I noticed is what exactly is the deal with Constantine is he Byzantine or Roman? Is there anything that would prevent the game from having Byzantine being ruler of Byzantine and Rome at the same time in the same game? I guess I am old school but I think Constantine for purposes of the game should have to be one or the other.

Also this is kind of a minor question but it really annoys me :aargh:that I can't figure out how to change this. I want to change the commerce slider from 10% to 5%. I have tried going into the Assets/XML folder in both "Civilization 4" and "Beyond the Sword" into the GlobalDefines.xml and I changed the COMMERCE_PERCENT_CHANGE_INCREMENTS to 5 and also tried 05 but my game still does 10% when I adjust the slider. I know I was able to do it before in an older version of LoR. I am using NotePad.

Also I thought I remember reading about how it was a goal of LoR for every civilization to have two leaders? What is the status of that and also the strategic trait which the Civilopedia has no information on yet. I don't want to come across as nitpicking cause I think your Mod is great Phungus :goodjob:

Re Installing and old versions:
The installer will uninstall a previous version if it detects one, so don't worry about it. Of course if you tell the installer not to uninstall the old version it detects, it will just abort, so I suppose yes, you have to, but if you let it, the installer will do all the work for you.

Re Constantine:
The game wol't duplicate leaders, unless it has no other valid choices. So you would need to set up 3 Romes and 2 Byzantiums for it to repeat Constantine randomly, and you'd stand a good chance to have one of the other leaders repeat as well; this way of making leaders repeat is possible in BtS, so it has nothing to do with the mod. It simply makes sense to have Constantine be a leader of Rome or Byzantium, because you could have historians argue about which Empire he ruled, and most would tell you "both", so that's the way it is in LoR.

Re new leaders:
This is under development. It takes a long time to add new leaders, deal with the diplomacy text, and all that. It's coming, but keep in mind since achilleszero has disappeared this has become a one man show. I put in about 100 hours of work into this the last two weeks to get 0.9.8 out; I can't work any faster then this. Also the mod is straight up screwed without a graphic artist working on it. I don't really see how I could start further development at this point, as most of the "todo" stuff involved Graphics Art.

Re 5% increments:
Ask in the BUG mod forums, this must be a BUG mod implementation if the XML doesn't effect it anymore, BUG must have hardcoded the tax sliders in the Python. This isn't an issue from my perspective, so if you want to mod the sliders, you'll need to talk to the BUG team for advice.

I had some odd unit behavior with the new version. My city was being attacked by axemen, and I had a few legionnaires and the 300 Spartans guarding it. The 300 never defended, even though they were definitely the best choice to do so. Even when my unpromoted legionnaires were severely wounded, they always defended instead of the unhurt, highly promoted, attached-to-warlord 300, who have a large bonus against melee units. :crazyeye:

I had some odd unit behavior with the new version. My city was being attacked by axemen, and I had a few legionnaires and the 300 Spartans guarding it. The 300 never defended, even though they were definitely the best choice to do so. Even when my unpromoted legionnaires were severely wounded, they always defended instead of the unhurt, highly promoted, attached-to-warlord 300, who have a large bonus against melee units. :crazyeye:

LoR uses BtS's getBestDefender code, so nothing is different here. Which is kind of odd, since base BtS doesn't have World Wonder units in it, it seems strange they coded for them; but they did. I'm not sure on the specifics, but units that have a world build # limit (like Legends in LoR, that may only be built once in the game) are substantially reduced in the picking order to be the defender. They'll still defend, but the other other units in the stack need to be at substantially lower odds for Legends to be chosen to defend.

They were fixed some time ago (version 0.9.6 I believe). Some events have been removed though, for instance no more slave revolts; this is because that functionality is now better taken care of by Revolutions.

I actually figured out the answer to the 5% thing on my own. Basically what I should have done and did was that I had to go into the Mods folder and of course go under LoR and adjust the XML file there for it to work in LoR. I guess LoR just doesn't feel like a "Mod" since it is so much better than that.

Hopefully Achiles shows up :hide:. I don't expect you to work any harder or faster on my account :whipped:, after all I am just some random person on the internet who thinks your mod is cool and makes Civ 4 much better you certainly don't owe me anything. My question was more a curiousity thing rather than a get off your lazy ass and make me some more leaderheads damnit!!! :joke:

I don't know what you do for work Phungus but you really should IMHO put in a resume with Firaxis or some other software company as a game designer/developer/tester. It seems like you could add alot when Civ 5 is eventually developed.

I can't install the new patch. It says it found the game but that I haven't updated BTS to version 3.19, which I definitely have. I got the game from Steam, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I don't know what you do for work Phungus but you really should IMHO put in a resume with Firaxis or some other software company as a game designer/developer/tester. It seems like you could add alot when Civ 5 is eventually developed.

Hear, Hear!

I can't install the new patch. It says it found the game but that I haven't updated BTS to version 3.19, which I definitely have. I got the game from Steam, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

i'm having the same problem
i have not got the steam version though
i have definitely updated bts to 3.19
checked the build etc
not cracked, no nocd, bought from the store

Yep, we now know that Steam doesn't sign a version key on it's BtS registry so the installer thinks it's not updated. We need someone with a Steam copy of the game to upload their registry file from the Firaxis registry root so that we can figure out a proper test for the installer to make for steam users. Please check out this post, and post your registry information in this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8731066&postcount=86

i'm having the same problem
i have not got the steam version though
i have definitely updated bts to 3.19
checked the build etc
not cracked, no nocd, bought from the store
This should not be possible. The installer only fires that error if it finds a BtS registry, but the version key is not 3.19; now for steam users, aparently steam doesn't apply a version key to the BtS registry, but all other installs should. Anyway to fix, pretty much the same information as above. I need to know what everything in your Firaxis registry looks like so that we can figure out what's going on. Please check out the same thread and post your Firaxis registry information as described by EF in the post I link to.

I would greatly appreciate the help you guys (or anyone else that is having problems with the installer) can provide, so that I can fix the installer logic for all users.

Here you go Phungus. Had to zip it, forum wouldn't let me upload a .reg file.

Attachments

• BtsSteamReg.zip
    350 bytes · Views: 56
Top Bottom