Very Productive Civ World

RecycledElectro

Chieftain
I built a world that is almost the most productive (production shields, trade arrows, and food) that is possible. You have to see it to understand. I could have filled in the land-locked lakes with hills, but I decided against that as the lakes make expansion very time consuming at one point in the game, which makes gameplay much more interesting.

I was surprised that the game play did not go anything like I expected. I will let you see for yourself.

If you are wondering about the Shaw, that's the Indian tribe I was born into. At one time, when the state of Texas had given up on capturing or killing renegade Indians, they would offer them membership in the Shaw Tribe, which was made up for that purpose. Membership never exceeded a couple of dozen people. Every one of which lived under a treaty that said they were exempt from all laws (e.g., victimless crime laws, tax laws, etc.) as long as they did not hurt anyone. Their children were able to continue as Shaw or become Americans, up until it was disbanded in 1989 when the State of Texas declared us all Americans. (I was/am not happy with this.)There are still a few holdouts in the hill country who refuse to become Americans. The State of Texas mostly ignores them.

In the old days, the State of Texas executed anyone who was believed to be an Indian who was not carrying their papers and who was off a reservation, or who was on the wrong reservation.

My ancestor become a Shaw after she walked out of the badlands leading a horse with her infant daughter on her hip. She was asked about the two dozen lawmen who set out after her. She replied that she had never seen them. Her saddle had belonged to a lawman who had been sent after her, who was never seen again. One of her guns belonged to another never-to-be-seen-again lawman. She agreed to take amnesty, as she was sick of running with her daughter. That infant was my great-great-grandmother.

Later, her (the infant's) dad was hanged on the back steps of the not-yet-completed Dallas Courthouse for not carrying his papers. A copy of his papers arrived from Austin later that day. The messenger with his papers was told he could cut the dead man down and give him the papers if he wanted. Texas claims they never executed an innocent man, because the State of Texas claims it was Dallas that executed him. Dallas claims he was not a man, he was an Indian.

FYI, you can pick any name for your nationality if you hit "Escape" when asked to pick a nationality.

--Andrew

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP
    40.4 KB · Views: 213
  • CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 204
I started to play this GOTM. I reached a location with a settler that seemed a likely spot for a city. I decided to irrigate a square prior to building the city. I received the following message. At first thought that it was a TerraForm error. Looking at the MAP file I noticed that I was on the seam. CIV does not look over the seem although the world appears circular or a tube with the poles being the end. It is not! It’s flat for the purposes of city activity.

Unfortunately TerraForm does not have a single source of documentation. Some of the aspects of CIV dos are not apparent through regular game play.
Seam – the zero longitude –
The columns are numbered 0 to 79. Maps generated by CIV always have oceans in columns 78, 79, 00, 01 and 02. Why 02 is ocean is beyond me, but 78, 79, 00 and 01 are to prevent cities from having part of their control area (The 21 squares that make up a city from hanging over the edge.).
I went on to build a city this is what I got.

The French had the mishap of founding one of there cities on the edge also. I Investigated with a diplomat.

This thread Map Generator for Terraform discusses this aspect of maps in more detail.

Thanks for trying to keep the GOTM active.

Putting in an ocean seam will make this game more playable. Please leave the original files so others can look.

Attachments

• Jul2012A.png
    Jul2012A.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 634
  • Jul2012B.png
    Jul2012B.png
    5 KB · Views: 672
  • Jul2012C.png
    Jul2012C.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 651
Looks good! I'm gonna give it a try!
I am new at this. I downloaded the files... Where do i place them, and do i need to backup other files to get ik back to normal?

Putting in an ocean seam will make this game more playable. Please leave the original files so others can look.

Did somebody 'repair' this?
Maybe posting those repaired starter files here?

Top Bottom