What other Civs would you like to see added to DoC

First I settled on the Suez Canal desert hill, then I sailed my second settler to Australia, and let the indies take the suez canal city.. England had to die since they were becoming a little bit too strong, also they were enforcing civics with the UN. And everyone hated me because I nuked a Super-Canada until they collapsed so that I could at least get a time victory. Multilateralism let me get a ton of stability from defensive pacts in the late game, also I think I got quite a bit of economic growth after switching out of isolationism.
Please, send me some of the stuff you're smoking. I want it.

With the good work that Leoreth has put into the late areas, it seems a shame that there isn't any civilization that has the Mars colony as a goal.

I get the obvious counterpoint, that this is future speculation as opposed to actual history, but then again since the techs and wonders are already there, why not use them?

There could be a couple of ways to implement this: one would be to use Australia since it is currently "the empty land", the other candidate would be the European Union, founding in Brussels (i.e. the space between Paris and Frankfurt and Amsterdam) something in the 1950s. The Mars Colony could present the technological ambitions of the EU.

The Mars Colony is the Technological Victory. Having the Mars Colony Completion as the UHV would mean that the other two UHV goals would be meaningless. You win either way.

If the goal is just to start the Mars colony... why, we have already civs that have UHV goals connected to the Space Race (Apollo).

What about a Zulu civ? Their UB and UU is the same but with the UU replacing a rifleman or musketman, similar to pombos. Their UP would basically be a supercharged one from Civ V and their goals would be tied towards the precious mines of SA, holding off against the dirty birts and maybe even related to Today's South Africa where they build a nuke.

- Australia, naturally.
- And a non-player native american civ that may have a few cities but no cultural borders beyond first ring. Barbarian rules apply, but they should be allowed to have diplomatic relationships with all American civs from Maya/Aztec/Inca towards even US/Canada/Brazil. The latter would profit more from conquering them, but maybe there could be player that prefers to have a native vassal. At least, as long as said vassal doesn't destroys all other foreign relations... *rolls eyes*.
- And flexible spawns of a South African and a West African civilization: If a colonial civ goes into collapse, South Africa should be able to emerge as early as 1850; and West Africa as early as 1940. "West Africa" (Mali respawn!) shouldn't be the name, of course. Depending on their capital, the nation's name may be Senegal or Liberia or Nigeria or whatever. For "South Africa" I would think that they'd be starting as a Boer civ under the civics of Isolationism/Colonialism. Only when they change to either Egalitarianism or Multilateralism they would evolve into the modern black democracy. That said: I'm not in favor of a Zulu civ emerging in the Industial Age, it just seems wrong to me. They would only be competing with Kongo for dominance over Africa, and the colonial civs need also their space for expansion. (Currently tolerating a very powerful+stable AI Portuguese Empire with Maria holding all of west/south Africa and lasting long into the 20th century. That's somewhat nice.)

Now that Leoreth is basically done with unlinking civs and slots, it is probably a good idea to revisit potential additional civs, some might be partial, and some might be playable:
Already existing in some form:
Mamlukes, currently respawn, but don't have stuff fleshed out as a playable civilization
Peru, also respawns, but also without flavour, make into a Peru-Bolivia Confederation?
Turkic, different incarnations of Central Asia with more flavour?

Commonwealths
Boers/South Africa, a popular request, fills a good bit of dead space
Australia, also population, fills a giant amount of dead space

Indochina
Vietnam, Cambodia hasn't been a major player since the Khmer, but Vietnam could be a new interesting player, given the repeated Chinese attempts to take it over, plus interactions with the French.
Burma, fills a good chunk of space that Siam and Vietnam don't really fill. Taungoo tried to expand and conquer the rest of Indochina so that could be an interesting point, then later friction for European colonized India.

Indonesia
Indonesia is quite large and historically quite culturally varied, just one civilization seems strange, maybe split it into Javanese (Majapahit) and Sumatra (Sri Vijaya) civs? Should there be one for Malaya and Borneo? This was an important area for trade, religion, and conflict

Middle East and North Africa
Maghreb seems too big for just Morocco, need at least an Algeria, maybe also a Libya and even a Tunisia?
South Arabia, there should probably be something for Yemen and Oman, they had holdings south along East Africa, and traded with the Indian subcontinent,
Iraq and Syria? (Babylon and Phoenicia?)

Europe
Should Scandinavia be split into a Denmark/Norway and a Sweden? Basically one to go west, and one to go east?

@1SDAN's Civilizations Reborn mod has a good list of new civs to implement, though I think it's better if we hold out until the new map is ready. For me, this is my opinion on some of the civs in the mod as well as a few other suggestions:

Ancient Civs
  • Hittites - pre-Greek Anatolia
  • Celts, Goths - early European peoples, more historical interactions with the Roman Empire and after it
  • Kushan - for conflict in classical India
Europe
  • Hungary - for the Carpathian basin
  • Kievan Rus' - for more flavor and dynamics in early eastern Europe
  • Sweden - definitely, split Scandinavia
  • Holy Rome* - is it okay if we have like, one civ/city? lol
Middle East
  • Islamic Egypt - spawn as early as the Fatimids (918), can work as an Egypt respawn
  • Oman - historical trading empire, also held parts of the Swahili Coast
  • Yemen - not sure, though could be, too
  • Turks - break it up. It's weird seeing a contiguous empire from Anatolia to the Tarim Basin (or is it just me?)
  • Khazars/Cumans - more interaction between Transoxiana and its north?
Asia
  • Burma - same thoughts as @Vectors
  • Manchu - another challenge to late China. Can spawn early (1000) as Jurchens and then respawn as Manchus
  • Vietnam - definitely
  • Philippines - not sure if we do need this, but we're a separate culture group so idk
Africa
  • Swahili - for the Swahili Coast. Trading center, also competition for Oman
  • Nigeria - neighbor for the Mali
  • Zimbabwe - this is the Zulu civ, I suppose
  • Boers/South Africa - for the later eras
Americas
  • Peru - make it official!

@1SDAN's Civilizations Reborn mod has a good list of new civs to implement, though I think it's better if we hold out until the new map is ready. For me, this is my opinion on some of the civs in the mod as well as a few other suggestions:

Ancient Civs
  • Hittites - pre-Greek Anatolia
  • Celts, Goths - early European peoples, more historical interactions with the Roman Empire and after it
  • Kushan - for conflict in classical India
Europe
  • Hungary - for the Carpathian basin
  • Kievan Rus' - for more flavor and dynamics in early eastern Europe
  • Sweden - definitely, split Scandinavia
  • Holy Rome* - is it okay if we have like, one civ/city? lol
Middle East
  • Islamic Egypt - spawn as early as the Fatimids (918), can work as an Egypt respawn
  • Oman - historical trading empire, also held parts of the Swahili Coast
  • Yemen - not sure, though could be, too
  • Turks - break it up. It's weird seeing a contiguous empire from Anatolia to the Tarim Basin (or is it just me?)
  • Khazars/Cumans - more interaction between Transoxiana and its north?
Asia
  • Burma - same thoughts as @Vectors
  • Manchu - another challenge to late China. Can spawn early (1000) as Jurchens and then respawn as Manchus
  • Vietnam - definitely
  • Philippines - not sure if we do need this, but we're a separate culture group so idk
Africa
  • Swahili - for the Swahili Coast. Trading center, also competition for Oman
  • Nigeria - neighbor for the Mali
  • Zimbabwe - this is the Zulu civ, I suppose
  • Boers/South Africa - for the later eras
Americas
  • Peru - make it official!
Hi,I added these civilizations to the big map based on the document you modified and Civilizations Reborn mod made,there are some minor problems, but they don't affect the game.
QQ图片20200310170936.png

QQ图片20200310170834.png

Is this the latest version of the map? It looks too familiar to me, while I already want to forget that... :lol:

The new map imo opens up new opportunities for a lot of new civs, but some to me provide a more unique play style and impact on the game than others.

Armenia: Like Tibet and Poland it should be able to be turned off, but there is space for it now. I'd choose Armenia over Georgia if one had to pick between the two, because of its history with religion as well as being an empire at one point.

Iroquois: It's been requested for RFC forever but with the bigger map it's finally time to implement them. I'd like to see more North American First Nations aside from the Iroquois, but I'm not sure how they'd play out. The Iroquois seem to fit into the RFC model best.

Golden Horde: Russia often ends up becoming more powerful than they should early on because their only competition is the short lived Mongols. The Golden Horde was a Mongol successor state that lasted until the early 1500s and even later as Crimea. Russia and the Golden Horde should have a real rivalry that would make Russia more interesting to play.

Scotland: In a similar vein to Russia, England is a very safe civ with its only danger being a scripted Viking conqueror event. With the new map, Scotland has room for a two city core, and they could pose a real danger to England early on.

Guarani/Paraguay: This idea isn't as set in stone for me, but the new South America might have room for them. The idea would be that the Guarani would represent both the Tupi and Guarani and have bonuses to jungle settlements. They could respawn as Paraguay? I don't see what Paraguay has to offer to the table though.

Chile: Major player in South America, very military oriented.

Marathas: It's not right to me that such a huge area as India only has three civs. The Maratha would represent both the Maratha Empire and modern India, with keeping colonizers out and population growth as the main themes.

Punjab/Sikh Empire: Another important area of India to cover, a check on Mughal power. If the Kushans are added, could be a respawn of them.

Punjab/Sikh Empire: Another important area of India to cover, a check on Mughal power. If the Kushans are added, could be a respawn of them.

I love this idea! Also, (I've suggested this before) we could add Sikhism as a late-game religion, maybe discovered with the founding of a late Renaissance era tech like social contract or combined arms (that unlocks the Golden Temple)? It would not be a widely spread religion outside India (perhaps other places during the global era) but it adds a little spice to religious elements in the later-game.

I shudder to imagine South African UHVs, though...
Why? There's so much more to the Boers and South Africa than just apartheid. I mean, Hitler, Stalin, and Mao are all in DoC, and they were all a million times worse than any apartheid leader. Apartheid killed 21,000 people in its 4+ decades of existence. Hitler killed 6 million, Stalin killed 20 million, Mao killed 70 million.
You can easily make Boer UHVs that have nothing to do with apartheid.
- Rag Tag Army: Drive the Brits out of South Africa
- General Smuts: Get invited to at least 1 World Congress
- Vela Incident - construct a nuclear weapon
UP: The Power of the Bittereinders: whenever a Boer improvement is destroyed, or a Boer unit is killed, all enemy units within a 5 tile radius lose 10 HP
I think a 'Quebec' civilization would be a good idea if there were both French and non-French cities in North America around the time of the current Canada spawn and most of Quebec's core were not occupied by another civilization. However, if there were only French or only non-French cities or Quebec's core were mostly occupied, Canada should spawn.

I put Quebec in brackets since its core/historical area could stretch into Louisiana and represent an independent French-speaking state in North America.
Why should a civilization that never had its own independent country be in the game?
A Boer civ could be interesting, though we'd need to see the Dutch settle cities in the area more often for that to make sense within the game. I wonder if they could be conditional on colonies being established in the Cape area and then changing hands.

I think more civs in central and southern Africa would be good, but "Bantu" is a super broad term. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantu_peoples
I think we'd need a bit more narrow of a scope, even if one civ in game is used to represent different polities over time. Definitely civs within that category that could be added though!
The Boer Republics were settled by the intrepid Voortrekkers, not by the Dutch...

The Boer Republics were settled by the intrepid Voortrekkers, not by the Dutch...
Right, and the Voortrekkers were decended from colonists who came predominantly from the Netherlands. I suppose it could be conditional on any civ colonizing the area, but it would definitely be odd for Boer Republics to pop up without anyone ever settling the cape.

I don't see why a hypothetical Boer civ couldn't just spawn on the same conditions as every other colonial civ (ie they always spawn unless the settling civ is stable enough).

I don't see why a hypothetical Boer civ couldn't just spawn on the same conditions as every other colonial civ (ie they always spawn unless the settling civ is stable enough).
Fair enough. I forgot what the conditions are for the other colonial civs. It makes sense for them to all work similarly.

Golden Horde: Russia often ends up becoming more powerful than they should early on because their only competition is the short lived Mongols. The Golden Horde was a Mongol successor state that lasted until the early 1500s and even later as Crimea. Russia and the Golden Horde should have a real rivalry that would make Russia more interesting to play.
A Tatar civilization would be interesting. They would variously represent states such as the Khanates of Crimea, Kazan, the Uzbeks, etc. Spawning around the time of the collapse of the Mongols, their core centered around Astrakhan with their historical area including Crimea, the Urals, much of modern-day Kazakhstan, and extending somewhat deep into Siberia.

Because they wouldn't spawn by flipping already-existing cities...they would spawn in Pretoria or Bloemfontein, which weren't settled prior to the Great Trek.
A Tatar civilization would be interesting. They would variously represent states such as the Khanates of Crimea, Kazan, the Uzbeks, etc. Spawning around the time of the collapse of the Mongols, their core centered around Astrakhan with their historical area including Crimea, the Urals, much of modern-day Kazakhstan, and extending somewhat deep into Siberia.
We already have a Turkic Central Asian civ.
Because the Boer Republics didn't come out of the Cape Colony declaring itself independent...they came out of intrepid Voortrekkers moving inland, where there was no political control, and establishing their own republics. The Boers should spawn with a couple of settlers, not by flipping Cape Town.

Top Bottom