Who Should Get the 2016 Olympics?

Which city should host the 2016 Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've heard that the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City is just about the only time the Olympics did not plunge its host city into debt for at least a few years, and they pretty much just broke even that time.
Salt Lake City had ungodly corrupt judging. :mad:

I'm glad Rio won, because I at least am interested in seeing the cultural and human interest stories that are shown inbetween events. And some of the events take place where we can actually see some scenery. It also helps that the time zone isn't too far off my normal viewing hours (I still can't believe I got up at 2 a.m. to watch a hockey game during the Nagano Olympics! :crazyeye:).

You hardly have the authority to speak for 'everyone' in any event. Doing so only makes you appear foolish. Hence my earlier comment about being mature enough to admit to something even though you may disagree with it as a matter of course...

Apropo.....feel free to add a 'most' in front of my previous sentence if you prefer then.

Or should I have simply responded with the 'half a brain' comment the poster did to the comment of mine that you just parroted?

But I feel confident my statement holds relatively true historically for american presidents. Regardless of what problems (or benefits) they inherit from their predecessor, they will be judged by the general populace on what occurs while they are in office.

You are free to argue othewise if you want. /shrug. But even Bin Ladin no longer sends messages to Bush....heh.

Oh, and I just heard Obamas speech in trying to convince them about Chicago....no one it got cut first...the speech was all about Obama and more hope/change garbage than why Chicago would actually be a great choice. I mean if your main point is that Chicago is a great choice because Obama choose it 25 years ago, I would have voted for something else too....

This could hurt Obama politically.

Nah. He'll just be hurt with the folks in Chicago who had all the kickbacks and other sleazy dealings lined up.

Brazil get's 2014 WC. But I don't want America to get it, they should have it somewhere else.

Perhaps in Australia again.

Thoughts about the video that Godwynn posted: the zooming-in on the American flag made me want to vomit, and the thuggish chanting of "USA" reminded me of something from English football matches, only much worse.

At least Britain knows how to get the Olympics.

Thoughts about the video that Godwynn posted: the zooming-in on the American flag made me want to vomit, and the thuggish chanting of "USA" reminded me of something from English football matches, only much worse.

At least Britain knows how to get the Olympics.

London is the only city to have gotten the Olympics every time it has tried.

This chart was made pre-decision.

My thoughts: the Olympics will be quite good for Rio, since billions and billions of dollars of federal money will be invested in the city (plus all the tourists and stuff), but it will almost certainly mean a financial loss for Brazil as a whole. Which means I am happy :)

Do you secretly hate Brazil? :huh:

No. I do hate the current Federal Government, though, and additionally I think Rio has been screwed over big time by it since they moved the capital to that giant waste called Brasília in 1960, and even more when they forced the State of Guanabara (which was only the city Rio de Janeiro) to merge with the rest of the State of Rio de Janeiro in 1970, forcing the once rich and prosperous city to subsidize the corrupt wasteland that is the Northern half of the state.

So the tens of billions of dollars that Brasília has promised us for the Olympics are long overdue.

"Yo Rio, I'm happy for you and all, and I'mma let you finish, but Chicago had one of the greatest Olympic bids of all time!"

Ah. I see.

Are there any other cities in Brazil you think are worthy for large international events?

EDIT: Crossposted by awesomeness.

Aww, I wanted a reason to go the US/Chicago in 2016. :(

Lollapalooza ;)

Looking at that graphic posted above, DETROIT has had bids?

Who in their right mind would want the Olympics to be held in DETROIT!? That place stinks.

edit: They put in a bid SIX times!?? They'll never get it - hopefully. What are they smoking?

Ah. I see.

Are there any other cities in Brazil you think are worthy for large international events?

EDIT: Crossposted by awesomeness.

What do you mean by "worthy"?
It is obvious that in many criteria, no Brazilian city can compete with the likes of Chicago or London. But that doesn't mean that none can host successful games. I think any large enough city of the Southeast, South and Center-West could very well host such events. In fact many will host matches of the 2014 WC (which is bigger than the Olympics). Even cities in the North and Northeast, which frankly I find entirely lacking in decent infra-structure, will host some matches.

I think anyone who've been to São Paulo, Rio, Brasília, Belo Horizonte, Curitiba, Porto Alegre, and several others know that those cities, which do have problems to varying degrees, also possess a developed urban infra-structure, a decent hotel and mass transit network, etc etc.

In fact Rio doesn't even have the best infra-structure in Brazil; São Paulo is superior in any technical criteria (although traffic there is much worse). But Rio is unique in it's beauty and charm, so I don't think any other Brazilian city is deserving of the Olympics or the WC final.

Congratulations Luiz!

I was rooting for Rio because the Olympics belong to the world, and South America deserves a chance to host. We've held the Games plenty of times so it's no real loss to miss out on this one.

Top Bottom