Votes: 3 0.6%
  • University of Sankore

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Versailles

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • The Internet

Votes: 44 8.5%

• Total voters
CI isn't anywhere near poor enough to be considered the worst wonder. The extra defense buys time to reinforce against a SOD. It's on a standard tech path (unlike, say, the SE). Denying it to the AI is useful, whereas you actively want the AI to build some wonders (e.g. the Hagia Sophia, maybe the AP unless you're cheesing it). Finally, it's one of the few stone wonders that appears during the time period, which is good for fail-gold, if nothing else. The Hanging Gardens can also be failed at about the same time, but you need to build an aqueduct first and the AI tends to bee-line mathematics en masse anyway.

No, it's not good, but we're dealing with superlatives here. The SE is the worst to build, followed (at some distance) by the Hagia Sophia.

I don't think it got nerfed, I think the developers thought it was good on paper. It gives defense over and above what walls give, so if stacking city defense is what you want its better than just giving walls.

I think the wonder looked good on paper, its just in practice its not practical. Unless you're AI and are out to stall instead of win. It's a pretty decent wonder for the AI.

I don't think it got nerfed, I think the developers thought it was good on paper. It gives defense over and above what walls give, so if stacking city defense is what you want its better than just giving walls.

I think the wonder looked good on paper, its just in practice its not practical. Unless you're AI and are out to stall instead of win. It's a pretty decent wonder for the AI.

I agree with this.

Also, to add a further use: the defensive bonus helps with the likes of knights when you are over-stretched and conquering the AI's cities. I know that you have to wait for the city to come out of revolt... but counter-attacks happen, especially if you're trying to take down the local behemoth.

Also, to add a further use: the defensive bonus helps with the likes of knights when you are over-stretched and conquering the AI's cities. I know that you have to wait for the city to come out of revolt... but counter-attacks happen, especially if you're trying to take down the local behemoth.

It's a possible use, but if you build extra longbows with the hammers you would also have a very good defense against counterattacks and wouldn't have to wait for the city to come out of revolt. A major counterattacks 5 turns later against a city would be quite unusual for me. I'd like the instant defense.

CI was probably not meant for offensive means. It was meant for the builder types. It also is more useful in always war games.

Still, the problem comes down to being unable to engage the invaders in the field (such as when they are bombarding down your defenses outside your city and ready to hit with a bunch of siege weapons. Defense means crap in these situations. Also, it obsoletes. That's why I suggested giving a combat bonus in all your culturally dominant tiles-- it would serve its intended purpose but it wouldn't help in offensive warring.

Regardless, the Space Elevator is still far worse; either change the tech it comes on, or make it really overpowered.

I like Stonehenge and Great Wall (even in no barb games) simply for the value of the early great person.

SP is useful for the free religion option, which if for no other reason comes in handy in those games where for diplomatic reasons, you'd rather not pick a religion but would still like a useful religion civic even with OR not available. When I find myself in the middle of a Hindu Shaka-Buddhist Genghis sandwich, then suddenly SP is useful.

I voted for CI. I can't think of a single situation where I have been tempted to build it. Whereas with the SE, I have had games where I am pumping out almost 3000 beakers and production actually was my main concern getting the spaceship out.

Granted, this occurred due to bad city management as far as getting good production cities developed, but I'm still learning that part of the game.

For worst wonder I put hagia sophia. Worker production by that time is usually done. Useless bonuses offa Hagia Sophia

Whatever you voted for should be in italics. Apparently I voted for the Space Elevator. I guess that'd still be true for me. I haven't even had a game that went that late for over a year. :p

Glad to see I'm not alone in hating the Space Elevator. It's too far down the tech tree, even when you are going for a space race you can have half the components built before you even start on it.

Angkor Watt is good up to Emperor for a religious economy game, even better with Egypt or Arabia.

I sometimes play religious economy early, but by the time I get to Philosophy (prerequisite for Angkor Watt), I am usually in the heat of the race to discover Liberalism, and so am more interested in generating Great Scientists to help bulb Education or Liberalism rather than get more Great Prophets. Sometimes I build it anyway just to pick up the 8 culture points, but usually not.:)

Other than a OCC (GE GPP's & culture), I'd never build HS nor prioritize the tech that enables it.

Glad to see I'm not alone in hating the Space Elevator. It's too far down the tech tree, even when you are going for a space race you can have half the components built before you even start on it.

I think you're in the majority in hating it. I voted Chichen Itza but if I voted now it would be Space Elevator. My reason is semantics. I still find Chichen Itza useless and the SE has a rare use in very specific OCC conditions (about 1/2 of 1% of OCC's). But SE is worst because more players build it when it actively hurts them. It's a shame, really, because it was a viable choice in vanilla.

The real pain with the SE, even with the late start, is having to research a very expensive tech that isn't on the road to a SS part.

Taj Mahal is actually a very good wonder. Buried somewhere in this thread is a good explanation by TMIT.

I think you're in the majority in hating it. I voted Chichen Itza but if I voted now it would be Space Elevator. My reason is semantics. I still find Chichen Itza useless and the SE has a rare use in very specific OCC conditions (about 1/2 of 1% of OCC's). But SE is worst because more players build it when it actively hurts them. It's a shame, really, because it was a viable choice in vanilla.

The real pain with the SE, even with the late start, is having to research a very expensive tech that isn't on the road to a SS part.

Taj Mahal is actually a very good wonder. Buried somewhere in this thread is a good explanation by TMIT.

They are both fairly useless, but I figure you will at least get something out of CI throughout the game, even if it's just great people points and culture, whereas you have to really calculate as to whether the Space Elevator will pay itself off by the launch of your ship (it hasn't in the few times I've gotten into the space race, since I completed other parts before thinking about building it).

No complaints on the Taj--I'll take a well-timed golden age on the way to cavalry. (Note: by the smiley, I assume he's being tongue-in-cheek, but I'm giving the serious answer any way.)

Top Bottom