Resource icon

28 Bronze Age Spearmen 2016-10-05

This set contains 28 Bronze Age Spearmen for civilizations in the ancient Mediterranean zone that I've made, collected or assembled using models and textures released by firaxis or other forum modders. By reading this THREAD you'll understand the purpose of this collection, and you'll find additional in-game screenshots also.

From a historical point of view, you should consider these unit as early spearmen. I've equipped them with light spear and rounded shield, only giving to hellenic units the real feel of "bronze spearmen" as described into homeric poems. Also middle-eastern region got historical spearmen, because of the early Egyptian, Assyrian, Babylonian and Hittite civs, and I made evoluted units for them. The still uncivilized northern and western europe got barbarian-style spearmen. The true "heavy" spearmen (as we know them through movies or printings) will come several centuries later, in the "Classical Age", mainly around 400 BC.

Using blender I built 6 different meshes, and using nifscope I put them into firaxis vanilla spearman nif. In addition to the 24 units representing the TAM civs, the set contains 4 more "hero" units with a laurel wreath on head. Now you have these fresh meshes to reuse or reskin at your pleasure.

As usual for my production style, I've spent lots of time to make my units 100% playable with nifscope, because I like to download civ4 stuff and run it immediately. Furthermore these units have both shader and no-shader nif and the lesser number as possible of art files, in order to reduce memory usage.

Use vanilla spearman artdefine for xml purpose. The package contains 1 animation folder for convenience, but you may use vanilla spearman animation for all models.

Credits go to EVERYONE who made ancient units before me.

Check this THREAD to visit my complete BRONZE AGE units collection ;)

Spoiler :

BUG REPORT
While I was testing my units in game, I spotted a weird graphic issue. It's a flashing dark strip while scrolling the map to look at units. It happens at certain angle, while zooming in or out, but not always.
Because it happens on shader units only, I worked on nif skinpartition, and this spearmen package has passed my final test successfully.

However if someone has got the same fault (with these or other units) please report it here. I need to know:
1) if someone gets the same issue on his PC
2) if someone knows why this happens

Thanks
Author
ambrox62
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More resources from ambrox62