PolyCast Episode 195: "That's a Different Argument"

Did MadDjinn say you cant build Feitoras on already improved tiles...
Yes, that is what MD said.

Hey guys, big fan of Polycast here.
:) -- glad you're enjoying the show. Out of curiosity how long have you been listening and how did you first come across it?

Thanks to those who responded to your inquiry above re: relating Tourism to Natural Wonders in CivV.

Yes, that is what MD said.

:) -- glad you're enjoying the show. Out of curiosity how long have you been listening and how did you first come across it?

Thanks to those who responded to your inquiry above re: relating Tourism to Natural Wonders in CivV.

hello Dan
I started playing hard since BNW came out and to find the podcast I just googled "civilization v podcast". Listened, liked and downloaded more :)

By the way, I don't know if I am right or I like this game too much, but I think the episodes are too short :cool:

You CAN build Feitoras on already improved tiles. (and theres no need to question me on that since you know im always right.)

:popcorn:
Thanx, I thought my memory was failing me, because I could swear I did this last I played Portugal, but since that has been ages, I thought maybe I was just getting too old.

He was speaking about building fetorias on improved CS tiles. I am not sure you can destroy a CS improvement to place a fetoria.

He was speaking about building fetorias on improved CS tiles. I am not sure you can destroy a CS improvement to place a fetoria.

You can; I've done that many times (the only time you can't is if there is a known resource present); given how fast city states improve all their tiles, this UI would be almost pointless if it couldn't.

hello Dan
I started playing hard since BNW came out and to find the podcast I just googled "civilization v podcast". Listened, liked and downloaded more :)
:)

By the way, I don't know if I am right or I like this game too much, but I think the episodes are too short :cool:
:D

Well, let's look at this another way: have you worked your way all through the show's archive?

:mischief:

:)

Well, let's look at this another way: have you worked your way all through the show's archive?

:mischief:

I didn't went before BNW, since a lot of things changed. But I will check out.
I seriously could hear you guys talk about civ v strategy for hours.

I didn't went before BNW, since a lot of things changed. But I will check out.
A fair point. When you review the show notes for pre-BNW, you will likely find at least some parts in many episodes that are still relevant and likely of interest to you. Even if you find few or none of those episodes worth listening to in their entirety for yourself in the present day, I expect that you will find parts of some-to-most that are. You may have a 'limit' back to those when CivV was first discussed in part, but that would still give you more than two years' worth more content to peruse.

I seriously could hear you guys talk about civ v strategy for hours.
That is one of the nicest compliments given to us about the show in its nearing eight years running... thank you kindly. :king:

A fair point. When you review the show notes for pre-BNW, you will likely find at least some parts in many episodes that are still relevant and likely of interest to you. Even if you find few or none of those episodes worth listening to in their entirety for yourself in the present day, I expect that you will find parts of some-to-most that are. You may have a 'limit' back to those when CivV was first discussed in part, but that would still give you more than two years' worth more content to peruse.

I'll try some Dan.

About global warming, I never played Civ IV (only Civ II, back when Elvis was one of my ministers and decorating the throne room was a thing). But the way you guys talk about it, seems that the mechanic was broken.

Without knowing that, when I started playing Civ V, I remembered that in Civ II late game some tiles got polluted and you had to send your worker (engineer) there to fix it. So I thought that Global Warming would be a way to bring pollution back to the game, with a economic focus: the global carbon credit market. Some things came out of that:

-new world congress enviroment-friendly act, for example forcing players to upgrade factories or build buildings that annul units emissions, and/or creating the carbon credit market)

-carbon credit market would take some gold from the ones that pollute more and give to those less "industrialized". Or would take some gold from everyone (depending on there contribution to global warming), so that the UN can use these resources to "fix" global warming.

-game saves pollution modifiers (oil and coal-base units movement, number of factories, nukes)

-enviromental-friendly AIs get minor positive/negative diplomatic modifiers depending on your contribution to global warming

-global temperature increase (begging in atomic era): in higher levels causes some ice tiles to melt and in extreme levels causes sea level to rise, transforming some flat coast tiles (non-hill or mountain) in coast tiles. Desertification too.

-just like from some times we get those rankings(someone publishes a work that is the rank by techs or something), there could be a publication saying "scientists say that at the current pace, if nothing is done, the tile west from your capital will become a desert (or will be swallow by the ocean)".

-research labs or other buildings could stop the global warming effects inside the cultural borders.

You can; I've done that many times (the only time you can't is if there is a known resource present); given how fast city states improve all their tiles, this UI would be almost pointless if it couldn't.

I stand corrected. :hatsoff:

I find it odd that everyone tends to talk about global warming only with respect to Civ4. Maybe it was just my games or play-style in particular, but I found global warming in Civ3 to be many, many times worse than in Civ4. In Civ4, I might end up with a dozen or 2 dozen tiles flipped to desert due to global warming while in Civ3, I had many a game where my planet wound up looking like the sand planet in Dune by the end. Every single tile would be flipped to desert by the end and it sucked. Then there was the ice caps melting, global flooding thing Civ2 and that sucked mightily as well.

DanQ, I have two suggested topics for your next episode:

Could you spend some time talking about how to 'best' use great people? It comes up a lot in your show, but usually it's very situation-dependent and someone will say things like, 'oh in that case I will use Great Person X on tile Y' and so on. What would be useful is a general how-to discussion on how to use all the great people in most situations. You don't have to go into nitty-gritty, every-single-scenario detail, just general tips on say, when to settle certain types of great people versus when to use their unique powers. This would be helpful given all of the changes to GP's since G&K and BNW came out. And for reference, I almost never settle GP's and I'm quite sure I'm doing it wrong.

Another potential topic:

What features would your cast like to see added to Civ 5? You often address features that your audience suggest such as colonies and bombing resources. What I'd like to hear are the new features that your cast would like to have added to the game or some features from old iterations of Civ that you would like to see return to the game.

Thanks, and great show!

I find it odd that everyone tends to talk about global warming only with respect to Civ4. Maybe it was just my games or play-style in particular, but I found global warming in Civ3 to be many, many times worse than in Civ4. In Civ4, I might end up with a dozen or 2 dozen tiles flipped to desert due to global warming while in Civ3, I had many a game where my planet wound up looking like the sand planet in Dune by the end. Every single tile would be flipped to desert by the end and it sucked. Then there was the ice caps melting, global flooding thing Civ2 and that sucked mightily as well.
Funny, wonder if it was because I played lower difficulty or just was more careful to prevent global warming, but I never had any serious issues with this in earlier games. I did get a couple of tiles swapping every now and then, but never more than that. I did like how it made you think twice about building factories etc. instead of just mindlessly spamming them as I do in Civ5.

DanQ, I have two suggested topics for your next episode:
We responded to the first of these on the recording of Episode 196 earlier today as part of our take-up of feedback on the most previous episode of the show. As for your second topic suggestion, it was noted during this recording that we would look to respond to it on another episode in the near future.

Dan, just heard the last show live for the 1st time. Very cool.

If you type "civilization v strategy podcast" the polycast is the first result ;)

Dan, just heard the last show live for the 1st time. Very cool.

If you type "civilization v strategy podcast" the polycast is the first result ;)

I tried this, turns out North America switches to DST two weeks earlier than we do xD

We responded to the first of these on the recording of Episode 196 earlier today as part of our take-up of feedback on the most previous episode of the show. As for your second topic suggestion, it was noted during this recording that we would look to respond to it on another episode in the near future.

It really is amazing that you can remember all of these topics, Dan. That's five years of information that has to be kept in your brain! (Or somewhere else zombie-brain-eating proof?)

I think we all appreciate what a capable director you are for the show.

It really is amazing that you can remember all of these topics, Dan. That's five years of information that has to be kept in your brain! (Or somewhere else zombie-brain-eating proof?)
Going on eight years actually...

I think we all appreciate what a capable director you are for the show.
Thank you kindly. :king:

Sorry to res this post. I'm going back through some of these episodes that I missed, and I have a comment regarding the tesselated sphere map: one gameplay change would be that it would allow the world to wrap vertically and it changes the distance between tiles near the poles. Imagine an earth map in which aircraft (or nuke, paratrooper, etc) in Canada could fly over the north pole to bomb/attack a unit or city in Russia. I think it would be a subtle, but significant change, especially at higher levels of play, since it forces players to change how the defend their borders. Furthermore, if systems were implemented in which anti-air units could shoot at planes in transit (rather than at their destination), then finding different routes to a target has strategic value.

Top Bottom