Wonder consolation prize

Xiao Xiong

Prince
It bugs me that it is a cash payout. It SHOULD be hammers towards an equivalent non wonder building.

Fail to build the great library? You should get hammers toward a library. Fail to build the great lighthouse or the handing garden? Hammers towards a lighthouse out garden.

I think you could match almost every wonder to a non wonderful equivalent. Not a1 to 1 hammer conversion, but proportional. Built half the great library? You are half done a regular library instead.

Good idea pretty similar to civ rev. But how would it work say for colossus?

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Good idea pretty similar to civ rev. But how would it work say for colossus?

Harbor?

Still, they did that in Civ 3(ish), in that the wasted production was carried over to the next project.

CBP instead has a culture boost. which is a better incentive anyway.

I also had this idea, would hurt much less losing a wonder.

I had an idea that each wonder had a lesser variant and every civ who got at least 25-50% the hammer of the great wonder would still get to finish theirs, but for a less profit.
(for example: Stonehenge 5 faith/turn, others who finish it would get a great shrine or something, 3-4 faith/turn, but it doesn't count as great wonder for other bonuses.

Option 1:
How about, instead of building "The Colossus" or whatever specific wonder in your city, you simply select a new "Build Wonder" option in your build list (which is sort of like the World's Fair, you can change it at need), and when you hit enough stored production to actually build an available wonder, then your adviser lets you know you have enough stored, sort of like how Faith accumulates until you have enough to buy stuff. In this way, you don't need a consolation prize, you just keep storing up production towards a wonder until you can finally build one, or the game ends, whichever comes first.

Option 2:
How about (building on the OP a bit), each wonder has a corresponding city improvement, so for example, the Great Library's improvement would be a Library, The Colossus would be a Harbor, or whatever. Then, if you fail to build the wonder, that production is distributed towards the construction of the corresponding city improvement throughout your empire.

If you fail to build the Great Library, starting in City 1, the computer checks to see if you have a Library built there, if not, it pushes all that accumulated production into a Library there. If you still have excess, it rinses and repeats the process through all of your cities. If you still have excess, you get another popup which allows you to Gift those, in this case, Libraries to other city-states and/or civilizations, improving relations, or to simply waste the production.

Option 3:
How about (building on mzprox's post a tiny bit), each World Wonder has a corresponding National Wonder, and if you fail to build the WW, the production goes into the NW instead, then Option 2 could kick in if any excess remains or if the NW was already built or is being built in another city.

I don't mind the cash payout, but the amount of gold seems way too low for the hammers lost.

I also wouldn't mind a hammer boost as in the OP. "We built this fine museum here. It isn't Louvre, but still a musem". Makes sense and is less punishing.

Top Bottom