1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.194] Start Locations Bug

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by blackbutterfly, Oct 20, 2017.

1. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

Is there any other way around? Unless It's ment that Washington and Paris are 3tiles apart.....

2. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Use the "reveal all" debug command to preview the map to see if spawns are ok. Not ideal but the problem effects certain map+seed combinations.
    So Restart if you have a weird start.

Also, I've found not all maps are impacted so badly by the default start locations. E.g: Scrambled Arctic -> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124979000 (Huge)

3. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Sorry to troll this thread, but I updated my map to use the Fractal map's starting defaults and lo and behold the standard starting locations seem to be OK.
    So it looks like Firaxis only tested their start locations logic on Fractal and maybe Island Plates. :cringe:
    TBH of the default map scripts Fractal is probably the nicest, followed by Island Plates. I don't play any of the others anymore. Only "real world" maps now ;)

4. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

It works, but aside from exploration being a key feature, you also immediatly meet everyone and get boosts for political philosophy/astrology/etc....

Are some map types not impacted at all? And apparently enabling the console gives more map types?

I usually play continents, but I guess I could witch to fractal for the time being. Or play the scenarios...

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Reveal All will have those effects, but what you can do is save the initial start, use Reveal All to confirm it isn't a messed up start, and then reload the initial save. Yes, you will have seen where the other civs and CSs start, but you won't have the meeting gold and early eurekas.

cvb and blackbutterfly like this.
  6. cvb

cvb Chieftain

I did this sometimes in the older days with the former versions of civ ... I saved the nice starts into a special directory and then, after having seen dozens of starts, picked randomly one of the "nice ones" in said directory ... and didn't remember really a lot of that individual game ... especially not some days later, when continuing from the so prepared start.

How do you say? Who fails to prepare, prepares to fail ...

7. newbie2

newbie2 Chieftain

its an elaborate workaround for something that should have been fixed ages ago...

Can anyone tell if some maps are not affected?

8. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

It did effect all but TSL maps.

UPDATE: post 2/7/18 patch:
    I've tested the majority of my maps and it looks like the start locations bug is resolved, mostly. Though there is probably still room for improvement (for city-state placement for example) from mods like Caps Lock by @BWS.
    Everybody please, a big round of applause to thank modders like @BWS for plugging this hole until Firaxis fixed it.:clap:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  9. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

I just looked at the new version of AssignStartingPlots.lua, and it still has the problematic fallback code. They have changed they way they broke up the map into regions, which might ameliorate the previous problems with neighboring starts, but it looks like it might still be possible to end up with polar wasteland starts and similar problems. I will need to do more testing, but I suspect that Caps Lock will still be necessary for a while, and I will work on updating it.

blackbutterfly likes this.
  10. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

So, even though there are still some bugs in the new map code, they seem to affect starting locations much less than they used to. Apparently the high-level strategy for creating start regions is good enough that the algorithm rarely gets to the buggy parts. I did update Caps Lock so that it won't crash, so that we have an alternative if the buggy starts are still a problem.

blackbutterfly likes this.
  11. Old

Old Chieftain

I tested extensively with my favorite type map script : Advanced Start - Tiny Map with 6 civs and 10 City States, World Age:New, Sealevel:High. Previously impossible type of map (even with Caps Lock, somehow) after the broken Firaxis patch because of the "start within 2 tiles of everyone" bug , but now i had no sign of the bug, quite opposite, tested without Caps Lock and only 2 times out of 20 did 1 or 2 opponent civs end with poor tundra locations, thats not bad result at all - especially with this kind of very crammed map.

Seems like Firaxis finally fixed this :thumbsup:

BWS and blackbutterfly like this.