[1.0.0.317] can bombard after moving

Qwan

Warlord
I'm surprised no one (that I found) has posted this:

Despite the Civilopedia saying that catapults and bombards cannot fire if they've moved, unless they have the right promotion, they CAN move then fire.

However, the Hwacha cannot move then fire. So clearly it's possible to make this happen.

I'm running Civ VI Rise & Fall (i.e. not Gathering Storm) on a Mac.

Afaik, this mechanism is implemented differently than description. Siege units need 2 movement points to fire. So, usually when you move, you won’t be able to, however, you may get extra movement points from e.g. Great general. In that case, if a unit still have 2 full points, it can fire.
I think it’s been like this since the first release.

Afaik, this mechanism is implemented differently than description. Siege units need 2 movement points to fire. So, usually when you move, you won’t be able to, however, you may get extra movement points from e.g. Great general. In that case, if a unit still have 2 full points, it can fire.
I think it’s been like this since the first release.

Nope. I have two movement points, move one, then fire. I have saved games if you want me to upload.

Upload it nonetheless. It will help Firaxis to track the error if there is one, especially if you have it pinned.

Ok, I went back to my save games, and either they behave differently now or I mis-remembered.

I can fire bombard after moving if there's a great general near. I don't need 2 move points, just any > 0.

Ok, I went back to my save games, and either they behave differently now or I mis-remembered.

I can fire bombard after moving if there's a great general near. I don't need 2 move points, just any > 0.

I think that was in the patch notes of a vanilla patch, that siege units near a GG can fire after moving if they have points left.

Regardless if bug or WAI + misleading ability description, I can confirm that with NFP 1.0.6.9 and Gran Colombia Siege units can bombard as long as they have 1 MP left:
Spoiler :

MoveSiegeUnit.jpg

MovedSiegeUnitCanBombard.jpg

To reproduce with the attached save:

1. Move the bombard as seen in the first pic
2. See that it can still shoot like seen in the 2nd pic despite having only 1 out of 3 MP and not the Expert Crew promotion

Attachments

• 1.0.6.9SiegeUnit1MPCanBombard.Civ6Save
    4.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
[1.0.6.9] without NFP.
Ok, I think I've pinned down how a bombard can move and fire on the same turn, without having the promotion that allows it, or a Great General nearby.

In the attached saved game, I have a bombard in my territory with Logistics active, so it has 3/3 movement.
I move it one tile (onto the enemy campus).
It now has 2/2 movement.
It can fire.

If I move the bombard 1 tile further along the road, it has 1.25/2 movement, and cannot fire.

It seems the problem is that the game only checks to see if the unit has "full movement", not whether it has moved or not. Or maybe that the movement should have changed to 2/3 instead of 2/2, so it wasn't "full".

(Although, this doesn't explain Pfeffersack's ability to fire with 1/3 movement. I was unable to check out his save, because I don't have NFP. So I couldn't see if Logistics was active.)

P.S. Sun Tsu was with the bombard in this turn, but I moved it out of the way. Besides, Sun Tsu shouldn't have affected bombards. But just to check, I also did a force-next-turn, and it still happened. So it doesn't appear to be a near Great General effect.

Attachments

• MVEMBA A NZINGA 172 bombard.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
(Although, this doesn't explain Pfeffersack's ability to fire with 1/3 movement. I was unable to check out his save, because I don't have NFP. So I couldn't see if Logistics was active.)

No Logistics involed, just Gran Columbia's UA (+1 movement for all units always) @ work ;)

Ok, later in my game I had a bombard move & fire with 1.25 movement remaining, in my territory. I had Logistics, so it started with 3 movement. No Great General near.

It seems the common factor in my games and Pfeffersack's is that the bombard starts with 3 movement. Although I'm not sure why the previous instance of 1.25 movement remaining couldn't fire, and this one could, so including the saved game. (move the unwounded bombard to the roaded-hill tile SW of Corinth, then can fire on Encampment) Maybe it's because the movement is 1.25/3 instead of 1.25/2.

Attachments

• MVEMBA A NZINGA 187 bombard.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Top Bottom