• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[1.0.0.341] Building a new city on a flooded coastline

CraigSacco

Chieftain
I was able to build a new city on a flooded coastline, and now I'm unable to build any structures associated with the "City Center" since "the required district is damaged".

It appears that the underlying tile cannot be repaired, therefore the city is essentially stuck in this state that prohibits you from building some structures.

I'm not sure if the problem here is Civ6 letting you build cities on flooded coastlines in the first place, or if there is some function within Civ6 that lets you "repair' a flooded coastline that is not working.

I have attached a couple of screenshots for clarity, along with the game save file.

Cheers,
Craig

Attachments

• Civ6_FloodedCityTile1.png
    Civ6_FloodedCityTile1.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 846
  • Civ6_FloodedCityTile2.png
    Civ6_FloodedCityTile2.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 334
  • JOHN CURTIN 469 2034 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
I would say its an issue with building on the flooded tile. If a city is built on a potential to flood tile, before it floods, the City Center is protected when it floods. In this case, the tile is already flooded. I think the game only checks when a tile is to flood, and protects City Center tiles only then, causing the issue you are having.

I runned into this issue with v1.0.2.39:

Spoiler :

SettlingOnFloodedTile1.jpg

SettlingOnFloodedTile2.jpg

SettlingOnFloodedTile3.jpg

The current way the game handles settling on a flooded tile results in a city not being able to built in the city center, so it doesn't even allow building the FB, which would be needed to correct the situation… I think that instead either building on flooded tiles should not be possible or that -if that possibility is kept- the city center (as "district") should be somehow immun against being damaged by flooding (which would be consequent, as cities built on lowlands before flooding happens behave exactly that way)

To reproduce with the attached save:

Settle like the pics show it and try to built any of the city center buildings in the new found city.

Attachments

• 1.0.2.39SettlingOnFloodedTile.Civ6Save
    7.1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Still a problem in v1.0.5.11:
Spoiler :

SettlingOnFloodedTileV10511.jpg

To reproduce with the attached save:

Use the settler to found the city as shown in the pic and see that you can't construct any buildings in the city center, because the game considers this district to be damaged.

Attachments

• 1.0.5.11SettlingOnFloodedTile.Civ6Save
    5 MB · Views: 68
I runned into this issue with v1.0.2.39:
The current way the game handles settling on a flooded tile results in a city not being able to built in the city center, so it doesn't even allow building the FB, which would be needed to correct the situation… I think that instead either building on flooded tiles should not be possible or that -if that possibility is kept- the city center (as "district") should be somehow immun against being damaged by flooding (which would be consequent, as cities built on lowlands before flooding happens behave exactly that way)

I noticed the same in my games and agree

By the time I was ready to settle all the one-tile islands of the map, it was pointless. I guess if I settled there, unable to build a flood barrier, the city would eventually disappear.

Last edited:
I can confirm this is still an issue as of 1.0.8.4. I had to reload & build inland so I'd have the chance to rush floodwalls with engineers. Valletta wasn't in the game.

Top Bottom