+1 Range to Artillery units makes AI unable to defend itself

marioflag

History Addict
This was a balance issue already in Civ5; in Civ 6 it is simply a bit harder to get the +1 range promotion to artillery units, but it is nonetheless a balance issue again.
AI is unable to defend militarily efficiently against the human player and the +1 range makes things even worse, because it allows the human player the opportunity to attack cities without having its artillery units attacked. Even on an open battlefield artillery promoted with +1 range are lethal because AI doesn't take in account the increased range nor prioritizes them as targets.

For balance reasons i think this ability should be removed or at least there should be a defensive building which increases city defense range to 3.
In the latter case though the balance issue would be only partially resolved for the already listed reasons.

What about the air balloon support unit? You want to get it out of the game? Does it give 4 range to promoted artillery?

It's even worse:
You don't need a promotion at all - all you need is simply a reconnaissance ballon.

Personally, I like the enlarged range against the AI. It's fun. ;)
Regarding game balance though, I guess it would be better to limit the baloon's use to add vision range and grant the 'Indirect fire' ability to shoot over hills and woods.

Last edited:
It's even worse:
You don't need a promotion at all - all you need is simply a reconnaissance ballon.

Personally, I like the enlarged range against the AI. It's fun. ;)
Regarding game balance though, I guess it would be better to limit the baloon's use to add vision range and grant the 'Indirect fire' ability to shoot over hills and woods.

I read somewhere that the ballons stack as well!
Crazy if true. Can anyone confirm this?

I read somewhere that the ballons stack as well!
Crazy if true. Can anyone confirm this?
balloon magic.jpg

Yes yes, and yes again. Having the recon balloons to give indirect fire and vision only is already a huge boost, we don't need the increased range. And I agree with the OP- having a defensive building that allows cities to fire back 3 tiles :). And if that makes taking cities too hard? Well there is air power~ and NUKES :D

AI already can't defend itself anyways. At best you're slowed down by the terrain.

The problem with air to take a city is 57 turns after you start bombing with 8 jet bombers, the walls health may be gone. I'm having trouble finding a good use for air other than the convenience of not having to move them around. 85 strength vs 110+ cities just takes forever to do anything.

This was a balance issue already in Civ5; in Civ 6 it is simply a bit harder to get the +1 range promotion to artillery units, but it is nonetheless a balance issue again.
AI is unable to defend militarily efficiently against the human player and the +1 range makes things even worse, because it allows the human player the opportunity to attack cities without having its artillery units attacked. Even on an open battlefield artillery promoted with +1 range are lethal because AI doesn't take in account the increased range nor prioritizes them as targets.

For balance reasons i think this ability should be removed or at least there should be a defensive building which increases city defense range to 3.
In the latter case though the balance issue would be only partially resolved for the already listed reasons.

You want to remove a fun part of the game just because the AI can't handle it? Why not remove nukes too then, and all air and naval units, since the AI can't defend against those either. Get a grip, the solution is to fix the AI, and in the meantime, I'd rather have my toys to play with.

We went with 1UPT. We now suffer with an incompetent AI because of it.

+1 Range for the balloon is really overpowered anyway. I thought it was going to be a support unit that granted extra vision, which would have been an interesting tactical unit... instead of what it is, which is utterly broken.

With 10 range artilery, even human cant defend themself.

It is my secret hope that before they release the patch which will squash this maximum fun bug, say one week before, the devs would silently release a secret hotfix, teaching the AI to spam Artillery and couple it with balloons, this tied to the difficulty level (dl-1), e. g. Chieftain - no balloons, King - four balloons, Deity - seven balloons per AI Arty unit, each balloon giving +1 stackable range and vision.
So that the AI could go: so, meester Hooman, you thought you had us, eh? Well, you 'aven't. Hee.. hee.. hee... hee...
:D

On the serious side, I completely agree that balloons should be limited to giving vision and indirect fire ability.

Top Bottom