1 unit per hex. Poll

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phil9999uk, Oct 7, 2010.

?

1 Unit Per Hex: For or Against?

1. For

795 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. Against

252 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Voted against.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of 1UPT and I enjoy the more tactical feel of the game because of it, however.... the AI can't handle it and fights like a moron. If they could make it so that the AI uses the 1UPT more intelligently the I'd be for it.

Also why can't civilian units stack? It really annoys me when a worker I'm sending somewere is blocked by another worker or a GG. Stupid design IMO.

Maybe there could be some form of limited stacking?

2. metal134

metal134 Chieftain

That's not true. There are tactical war games out there (Advance Wars, Field Commander) that are based on unit production where the AI is not dumb as bricks. Granted, they can't hanndle advance tactics and have holes, but the same can be said of the AI in Civ IV. The point is that in those games, the AI is servicable and can provide a formidable challenge.

3. blind biker

blind biker King

If civilian units can stack, why can't military units? Do their feet smell worse, so they need to keep a larger distance between each other? Like, tens or hundreds of miles?

4. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

1 unit/hex and regarding ai, I see no reason why it cannot be up to par. Panzer general series ai utilize the same unit/hex and provides a challenging game.

5. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

@ blind biker

The reason I think civilian units should stack is that I can see no clear gameplay reason for them not to, where as I can understand that the 1 UPT military arrangment is potentially alot of fun.

Getting pop up messages saying that your worker has been blocked on its way somewhere isn't fun.

And yes their feet do smell....

6. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

The main problem with 1 unit per tile in Civ 5 is that in a normal game you end up with far too many units for the number of tiles on the map. This kind of tactical game can work OK (both from an AI point of view and for keeping the human player entertained), but only if most tiles are unoccupied at any given point.

In Civ 5 however it is entirely possible to produce enough units to cover virtually every tile on the map. This results in hopeless traffic jams and annoying shuffling of units like one of those block puzzles with only one empty tile. Units being able to move through each other isn't much help if all the possible target tiles are also occupied. The AI of course can't cope with this, and it isn't great from a fun point of view.

One unit per tile could work, but only if you stick a zero or two on the number of tiles in the game without increasing the number of units on an average map. Alternatively you could make units even rarer, but to get rid of congestion on Civ 5 size maps you'd need to be well down in single figure number of units per civ. Without that, the old stack system (or even a compromise system with say 6 units max) is far superior.

7. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Good in theory but bad in practice.

8. Don Senglar

Don Senglar Chieftain

From article "What Went Wrong with Civ5?" by Sulla:

9. blind biker

blind biker King

^^^Post of the Thread. Long but EXCELLENT read.

10. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Again, I think you should allow 1 upt of EACH kind... for example, 1 melee & 1 ranged unit on a single tile.

11. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

I said it, and i'll say it again;

With the current AIs state and most general gameplay features or tricky flaws (CS, ICS, Yields, MCD grid, 1upT, etc), Stacks (of doom or even tactically feasible, btw) aren't a proper solution.
    IMHO, there's no other alternative than to basically reshape & redesign the movement directions of all UNITS in a new ZoC ruleset that allows much better rates of deployment & progressive range factors accordingly.
    As exposed (in theory, for concept testings) within this thread.
    We can complain, analyze, wish for better -- it remains & will always be a matter of restrictive access to *any* targeted tiles within 6 possible moves only.

12. blind biker

blind biker King

Carpet of Doom!
    carpetofdoom.jpg

13. redmosquito

redmosquito barbarian bear

If they want to add a limiting factor why dont they add supply routes for the armies, instead of 1UPT. It is computationally feasible, compatible with the rest of the game, and more importantly it can be fun if properly implemented. I vote for: limited stacks + supply lines.

14. Barticus

Barticus Chieftain

I'm for it in that it adds a new dimension / strategy level to the game rather than a simple "my civilization out produced yours and I built a gazillion military units and put them on one single square and will attack you from this square for the next 6 hours...on this turn".

Plus makes a game much more interesting...the 1 military unit per tile frees up other units for homeland security, etc. plus one doesn't need to spend 1000 years building a huge military in order to go to war...war is now less strategic & more tactical...i feel.

I've yet to see any sim/strategy game that accurately simulates tactical & strategic battle...until that comes along, well..I'll take this.

15. blind biker

blind biker King

16. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

I think this attachment clearly shows how superior Civ5 is to Civ4.

Now, finally, my boosted economy pays off. I have even built a forge.
    Gone are the days when I couldn't span an umbrella over my territory to protect it from invasions.

And it adds so much to the gameplay experience when you actually have to *think* about how to move that tank from Almaty to Vienna! I love it!

/Civ5 rulez mode off

17. blind biker

blind biker King

Yep. I think 1UpT is dead. Civ V is the first and last Civ game to have it. As Sulla so beautifully explained, 1UpT is what ruined Civ V. No matter how many prefer 1UpT, its fate is the junkyard of game history. And those responsible for 1UpT, their names shall be blotted out from the annals, carved away from tablets and inscriptions, and their effigies destroyed from the monuments of our civilization..... or something to that effect!

18. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

It's a nice change but not implemented very well. I know lots have said the same thing. I just wish I could stack workers or have have more than one civilian unit per tile (if even just for mobility).

As for the military and AI, it's definitely a lot different than any other game I've played. I've noticed that in taking a city you need to bring units that will die. Sacrificial units to distract the city bombardment and any other unit inside. I don't know... It's a lame tactic but works.

19. Ankh

Ankh Warlord

For me 1UpT basically makes this game so to those who hates it so much, would you rather bring back the stack of doom?

Its either 1UpT or stacks of doom any limitation between really doesn't work.

For me 1UpT is the superior way to get rid of the SoD.

20. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Care to explain?