2 newbie questions

Goatus

Chieftain
I have two newbie questions. I am quickly getting addicted to this game.

Question 1: Which civ(s) are the best for newbies to play, so we can get a grappled hold on this game?

Question 2: Advice on how to start out the game, so I can get off to a roaring start? Is there a newbie guide post?

Thanks
Goatus

Well I guess the Iroq should do the trick. They have commercial for the cash to sustain an empire. They have AG to allow fast growth and start with alphabet to let you get the Philo slingshot.

They have a superior AA unit, but you have to be careful that it does not trigger a despotic GA.

Tons of good threads in the War Acad, look for Crackers opening moves.

Well for Newbies i would probaly say an civ with an idustrious trait so that you get to use your workers a whole lot more. Also maybe Religious for easy goverment switches. Put them too together and you get....(consults civilopedia) Egypt. But everyone has different tastes and stratigies. And also remember there is not a best civ just different civs.

you should go to the war academy(youll find it on the adice thread) the where to find advice thread is on the page before you come onto this one

And good luck :goodjob:

I agree with Jay about Egypt being good for learning to play, especially if you're starting with vanilla Civ, rather than C3C. Just play as much as you can. After reading an article in the War Academy, then try to apply even just one new idea in each game. Read this forum every day and ask questions (we all love to give advice. ;) ) Little by little it all begins to come together and your game play will improve.

Good luck!!! :)

Egypt is the best for a newbie, i think. close runner-ups would be: Iroquois, Babylon, and Persia.

I agree with those who have mentioned Egypt! Religious and Industrious would be best for learning the game (you don't have to wait forever for your worker to finish a job and you don't have to wait forever when you switch government). Plus, the War Chariot is really a like the doomday machine, especially at the Chieftain level.

DO NOT PLAY HARDER DIFFICULTY LEVELS.

Play them one at a time or you will get put off. The harder levels are 50/50 even for those of us who optimise their gameplay for them. (I say those of us, but I don't play Deity normally)

If you get into this game your life will vanish before your eyes, as it did with all of us. I started playing Civ about 12 years ago and it still keeps me up after 2am when I have to go to work at 7...

Civ is just the best game ever, welcome to the club...

Edit: why hasn't anyone mentioned the persians? Bloody Immortals are ludicrously good...

The big diff between Civ3 and Civ2 is that in Civ2, the AI civs would almost always dogpile you. In Civ3, the AI civs are often useful. For that reason, when first learning Civ3, I actually found Warlord easier than Chieftain. The AI is SO crippled on Chieftain that the AI can't help you and you have to do everything yourself.

Hope that is all the help you will need.

Welcome to your new life...i mean addiction....i mean.....good luck! :goodjob:

Top Bottom