1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3.0 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - The Second Revolution' started by GarretSidzaka, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

I'm looking in the new version and it doesn't have temple graphics either, the structures folder only has those 4 that I mentioned earlier. I've looked all though the art folder and it's not there. Figure out if you put them somewhere else. Did you loose them with data on your computer in that data loss you described?

I was unaware that the debug art worked like that already, so if I understand this art references in the XML will not cause the program to crash if they don't exist? Just the other buggy stuff.

Anywho I tried superspies it crashed and it's a dead project. The dude who took over it after Trojan Sheep (Lord Tirian) is involved in FfH2, so he's not likely to update. RevDCM has way too many options menus that we'd have to lop off and close the settings for. It would take weeks to get it ready to use for SR and unless we were to use some of the additions from it it would be largely not worth it. Particularly since the only components I realy wanted to add from it were the promotions/counterespionage stuff and the AI work, which from what I've seen is pretty decent. I must say the interface is pretty nice too, much better style than normal.

What's this "subversion" you mentioned? a mod? I wouldn't mind lookin at it if that is the case. I looked it up on the search engine and couldn't find anything.

Most of what I mentioned earlier about the UEUs is still doable regardless of what base SDK we put it on, the new missions may need to be re-wrote or pilfered from other code but I think this could be done with ease in comparison to locking up the RevDCM menus or anything like that.

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well, for now lets just start on things that we can accomplish, like events.

by the way look in the structures folder and look under branch or regional. these are the ideology buildings

subversion is an opensource project update system. you pick a subversion client, and then somehow when you do something or i do, or anyone, it updates the whole project online.

3. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

The temple art is not there man.

4. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well i have replaced temples with ideological buildings, nor are they labeled temples and the art files are from WW2 mod i think sothey are named "fascist" or "communist"

5. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

well I was in a hurry when I wrote that, what I meant to say was I looked everywhere in every single nif file in every single non-units folder and it wasn't there.

I've still got some work to do today but I'll look at the events system later tonight and change a bunch of stuff as well as mark stuff for later changes. Some missions may be better changed to different buildings or unit types or need variable changes (9 libraries in all cities is not a substantial challenge anymore). You may wish to include new buildings or something like that which would fit the mission better.

6. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well we can certainly remove redundant missions.

here are the ideology buildings
    assets/art/structures/branch or /regional

7. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

folder not found

8. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

???? what do you see in the structures folder?

9. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

advancedfactory, gatewayarch, fusionplant, vegasstrip

10. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

11. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

already did. As I said when you uploaded it they are both the same.

edit:
    So I'm looking at a few of these text entries for the events and some look like they need word-changes. What should I do with the non-english languages, in general and particularly in these instances?

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

no localization. we should just include english entries where we aren't using default text. if its default text we can leave the localization. if this mod gets popular, we can get translators.

i just checked: if you open this file, its in there: alpharelease.03.zip

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

14. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

that copy is much more updated.

15. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

thank goodness.

now i just need to get the mod to load without crashes. im hopefully recording on this sunday coming up. i will ask the listeners to come peer through my noob error reports :)

16. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

going through events again. I'm wondering what flavors of tech there is in this mod, all? You know like FLAVOR_RELIGION or whatnot.
    Also what are the religions coded as?
    BUILDINGCLASS_JEWISH_CATHEDRAL should be?
    I could look these things up but you wrote them and if I have to go through all 150 something events it may be simpler just to ask you and come back to em.

Hopefully your one other regular (modcast) listener will come to our aid after it airs and some stranglers will come look at it later.

17. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

the religions are generally listed under the default tags, but the descriptions are correct.

as for flavor religion and whatnot, i havent finished the AI weighting or flavors or anything, we should come up with flavors that are appropriate for the mod.

18. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

OK I'll leave the religion flags then and flag the tek ones for changing later.

Hey you should change the alpha release version on that page to the new file before Sunday btw.

19. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

roger tthat

20. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

So I'm probibly 1/3 done the events, there is a lot of them here and I definitely know a lot more about how the event system works. I may consider making an events suggestion thread to get people to suggest events for the mod, particularly ones which would need prerequisite techs. One of the thing's I've been doing thus far is eliminating tech prereq code wherever I see it so there will be 0 tech prereqired events when I am done the first thinning and rephrasing phase.

Also I am considdering looking at coding regions or zones for the events to occur in BTS. IE earthquakes/volcanos occur in the pacific rim (ring of fire) and perhaps if I can with even greater frequency in the juan da fucia plate subduction zone in the greater California area. RFC has some code for this which I think I can pinch for such purposes.

Anyway, just posting today to give a status update, I thought this would be way faster. Also to make sure that if I create an event thread in the SR 3.0 section you won't delete it. I will do so tomorrow if you do not respond.

Edit:
    Oh and you forgot to mention SR in your modcast fool!
    Next time maybe. 1 month? GL with the baby btw.