1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3.0 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - The Second Revolution' started by GarretSidzaka, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

what exactly do you mean by "flavoring the tech tree" I may be able to help, but I am unsure exactly what you mean a lot of the time by flavor exactly.

2. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well, we need to come up with a 'theme' or flavor for each civ, and make sure each civ has a tech tree branch to dominate (can also start with the ideology tech)

themes already there:

USA: expensive but powerful
    Cuba: Defensive Bastion
    Rebel: Commando Insurgency
    Canada: Reliable and balanced
    Mexico: ?
    Zapatista: Weak but plentiful

3. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

are you thinking of some sort of leader bonuses or are you looking more towards UP like bonuses like from RFC?

I think an appropriate sounding bonus for Mexico given the schism there would be + gold + unhappiness.

4. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

exactly. i just want to be consistant with the themes. also we might as well chat about it, since the episode mentioning this will be about a month away

5. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

hmmm looks like you've already done the super spy mod piece on modcast on episode 17.

6. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

LOL i think we have. it was awhile back though :D

7. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

well hey wait I've done some reading here after listening to that podcast.

Apparently when you looked at it, it was bts 3.13 compatible only.
    The OP left so someone else took up the project of making it 3.17 compatible.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=300992
    The threads run till current. I'm gonna look through it because other moders who have integrated it into other mods and they may be able to tell me how to unravel the mystery of the espionage menu.

8. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

also find out if there are any really respected kitchen sink modcomp collaboration mod

9. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

your thinking something to gut for use as second rev's main gamecore/python adjustments. I'm looking around but I've been unexpectedly busy lately. Also I've been looking at the updated version of the superspies mod and it's newer gamecore changes are becoming difficult to search through. I suspect much of it has to do with edits to the AI and the assassination/bribe missions. I'm wondering if it may be simpler to pose the question of multiple espionage menus to the moders in the updated superspies thread than search for it in the gamecore files.

I might look at cleaning up that XML, just for something easier to do for a while, if you've uploaded the most recent version... which you haven't actually clarified yet if the one uploaded in June is the most recent update.

10. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

yeah i have to make sure there is need to update. also if your busy thats fine, just keep talking to me here and these threads wont die. im going to put out a call for a coder and a 2d artist whenever i find a guesst for modcast so we can record

11. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

Just updating you here. I have figured out the secret of unique missions menus. It's real easy. All I have to do is make a unique mission for the UUs and make it a prereq to the missions in the espionage index. I can do this easy and start designing the UUs which will call for art in short order.

Another interesting mod I saw was one of your kitchen sink mods you were asking about, containing SS, called RevDCM. Looked like it could work if we deactivate a lot of Rev's components, which upon inspection seems to be doable because it was coded for people to turn some functions off. I'm going to look at this (playtest) before I look at implementation of my code modifications into SS because it may be an awesome base to build Second Rev on for SDK. I'm not sure if you've covered RevDCM on modcast if you would like to look into that, someone may do an interview or... whatever.

Also, if it would be possible, please give me some answers on the XML god damn it!!!! Or just upload whatever you have and I can look at it for you.

Also9 here is the link for RevDCM.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8322

12. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

you know iim pretty sure you hyave the most updated version. the only thing i might have done last was tweaked the ideologies and temple graphics, but i think thats alareadyt in the download.

13. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

are you sure the temple grtaphics are included, all I see are advancedfactory gatewayarch fusionplant, vegasstrip in the structures folder.

14. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

15. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

this is an interesting article. I think the author misses some of the universality of some of it's concepts to all businesses, rather than just the desk jobs of the office.

Since I can do these UEUs it would be worthwhile to look at the design aspect of them. Particularly how can/should we decide the espionage menus (split or overlapping) this can be changed later for balancing. Also what styles of UEUs should be available for each nation, as well as any bonuses they should have.

Interesting enough. I'm considdering some other missions to add to this mod. How about an ideology removing mission for the missionaries? This would add a strategic level to the missionary use (perhaps increase the number limit for them as well). If we were to use RevDCM as a backbone to SR it's already coded into a separate unit and the only possible problem could be if the AI did not understand how to manage these two missions when they are a part of the same unit, which I suspect could easily be fixed. This mission also could be made to be a UEU mission with an ep cost instead.

We may be able to copy the dynamic of this mission to allow either cities or units of some type to file injunctions or otherwise run specific corporations out of town. If for example what I mentioned earlier about a civic being able to prevent a specific corporation's effect seems to be impossible or difficult, we could tie the ability to eliminate such corporations to the civics.

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

yes and i still freaking havent uploaded the mod. everytime i chat with you im upstairs and my archive is downstairs with my desktop.

i want to completely revamp the event system. i want to pull up each event, and change the units/flavortext/techs to match our mod.

17. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

I've seen your avitar, I understand, stairs can be hell right...

sounds good on the event system. I'm not very familiar with it since I've spent a lot of my time since I begun looking at modding, looking at the tiles/improvements and the missions system. Are you planning on looking at creating new events or just changing the current ones flavor wording and unit/building types?

Edit: Oh and what was your opinion on using RevDCM as a SDK backbone to build the mod off of? I think you may have looked at it before on modcast. A lot of the rev components don't seem to be comparable with Second Rev, but they are entirely disable-able. I've been looking at it, but I am not fully sure of it's merits and possible conflicts yet. A cryptic post in the SS thread suggested that it (SS) was not separately comparable with 3.19 yet, while it is in RevDCM. I asked for a clarification if this was so, but have not seen a response yet.

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

btw: i uploaded what i had incase it was different. its now alpharelease.03.zip in the alpha thread.

we should upload our versions to that thread. my friend suggests i get 'subversion'.

lets just wait on that response and see if there is any life there :)

19. ScavengerType

ScavengerType Warlord

subversion? enlighten me.

Edit: looked at the new version, it is the same as the old. I must not be able to find the temple art you did, my bad.

can we add a pink dot or something to link all the graphics for everything that has no graphics yet? Stole the idea from a modcast ep, seems like it would work.

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

yeah the pink dot should be fine. i think that appears as default for a graphic error. if you want to see the temple graphix look uunder structure/regional or structures/branch