3.17 Global Warming Mechanics

Ah, yeah, there it is. I was looking in the wrong place, the My Games folder. (Looked in both BtS and Gold, also Warlords for the heck of it.)

Okay, um... so I go find GlobalDefines.xml, paste a copy into My Games/Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/xml, and modify it with note pad... and it causes the game to crash while loading. Removing the file fixes the game, but obviously I'd still have global warming. So what am I obviously doing wrong? :crazyeye:

Try putting the unmodified file in your CustomAssets folder first.

If the game accept it (it likely will), then you made a mistake editing. Try again more carefully ;)
If the game crahses with the unmodified file put in CustomAssets, something else is brocken (I have no idea what, however...)

Well third time's the charm, I suppose. The unedited custom file worked fine, so I modified it the same way (removing the '2' in '20' to leave '0'... and that's all) and the game loaded. No idea what I did different, but I'll take it. :king:

Global Warming would be so gradual as to have little effect on a player in the short term. You could have it play out for the longer term but the question still remains as to what is causing the warming in the first place...

Well, after checking the GW attempts in my games, I found out that the number of attempts per turn is NOT rounding up!
This means that you don't have to stop at 0.5 but reach less than 1!
In a duel map (24 on 40) this means less than 48 bad health buildings :)
I'm now sure of it after passing tis limit back and fourth..!

Finally Global warming is resolved ;)

It's still a terrible feature :(. Somehow population, forges, and clean power all contribute to GW. Somehow nukes magically contribute to GW for no good reason (Radiation? Fallout? Nukes are extremely unhealthy but what greenhouse gasses do they contribute? Er...none...they throw a lot of irradiated dust up though, but that isn't exactly a WARMING effect...)

It's good to know the mechanics though, even though GW sucks in this game, is unrealistic, and has no place in terms of balance...although I must admit I barely care in game play as I seldom get meaningfully impacted by it if at all, so it's just more a gripe about reality vs game play :lol:.

Maybe global warming should give a health penalty to all cities once it reaches a certain treshold? This penalty keeps stacking up as global warming becomes more severe until the point that no city can expand anymore. It would look like a future doom scenario aswell with the putrid gas eventually hanging over every city.

Maybe global warming should give a health penalty to all cities once it reaches a certain treshold? This penalty keeps stacking up as global warming becomes more severe until the point that no city can expand anymore. It would look like a future doom scenario aswell with the putrid gas eventually hanging over every city.

If it will be so, my cities will build all pollutants, and still b healthy... using future techs ;)

honestly, probably the main problem with including global warming in the game is that it really should not be part of the game in the first place. In real life, the states of the world are not in constant rivalry with one another (in a Hobbesian sense). No one is trying to "win" the game. But of course in Civ you are trying to win the game and will happily stomp on everyone else to do so. Global warming, by its very nature, is a problem that can only be solved by cooperation of everyone around the world. It doesn't make sense to include it in a game where competition, rather than cooperation, is what makes the game fun.

I kind of like the idea of taking air pollution :)yuck:) and (de)forestation into account. And like you said - it is a more refined mechanism with somewhat mod-/use-able tweaking variables...

But i just finished a game, and i really did not like the effect.

Even with nukes baned (and no meltdowns i know of) there was no way to prevent GW. You can't influence AI city building, Ecology and recycling centers seem not to be too high on AI priority as well...
And with the AI chopping everything they get they hands on, keeping enought worldwide forest coverage for a significant amount of GW_DEFENSE is utterly impossible (Let alone hitting the green threshold...).

I think it needs a different valuation/policy for AI terrain Improvements.

And the effect is still completely irreversible of course... Be it feature removal (even with Forest Preserves the Regrowth is laughably slow) or straight desertification...
We can influence the actions of AI civs regarding global warming by using the U.N. to pass the "Environmentalism" resolution, which gives more value to forest and jungle tiles.

The more land you control, the more you can influence global warming. :D

If I were a necromancer I'd probably reanimate a useful thread like this one, too. Very good info.

I don't remember my Political compass score, but it's something really negative :(
The post you are responding to was written during the Bush administration :p

Top Bottom