1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3.19 Infinite free tech with liberalism

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by Plastics, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Plastics

Plastics Chieftain

When the screen to select a free tech appears, click both mouse buttons in the same time, in a tech you want. The civipedia will open for that tech, click exit and the screen to select a free tech will appear again. Keep doing and you get all techs.

Now the multiplayer games will be more fun after liberalism.

2. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

I was able to duplicate this bug for both Liberalism and The Oracle.

This bug can/will create a terrible experience in multiplayer games and HoF games until it is patched.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I'd have to imagine HoF would ban such games, as they remove any true competitive aspect. Although to be fair if one doesn't break the rules...........

Anyway, I'm not in a position where I can test it, but if Kesshi is confirming it then it's probably a true base 3.19 bug...and a serious one.

4. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I can't replicate this using BUFFY (the latest HOF mod).

5. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

I was able to reproduce it using BUFFY.

I'll include more HOF related information in a PM to you.

6. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

My question is, what possesses someone to click both mouse buttons at the same time in order to discover this? :confused: :crazyeye:

Presumably some accident led to the discovery? Or was it a more deliberate bug searching effort ... ? :mischief:

dV

7. Plastics

Plastics Chieftain

It was an accident. I am a computer science student but wasn't searching for bugs. I found this while playing Charlemagne scenario. And then tested it on a normal game.

I believe this bug is on all versions of civilization 4 and expansions.

English is not my main language so there will be some grammar problems here.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Thie lib hacks were supposed to had been solved in 3.17.... but indeed it wasn't this exact bug that was solved in 3.17 ( had to do with reloading ). Bah :(

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

This one is more serious. HoF and XOTM ban reloads regardless. This is not explicitly banned, and could thus lead to trouble.

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Hmm, quite a bad bug... good that it's out in the open I guess, although I wish it'd been earlier (we're probably unlikely to see an official patch for it now).

11. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Anyone know where/how that free tech screen is displayed?

Is it just a instance from Python\Screens\CvTechChooser.py? (EDIT: Definitely not, that screen seems to be the tech advisor)

12. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

It shouldn't be that serious though. You can just look in the game log to see the discovered technologies. If more than on technology is discovered on the same turn after lib it will look suspicious.

13. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

But trades can happen in that time period also. If someone is flagrant, then it's less an issue as it's obvious. But if they just take 2-3 techs instead of one it's much harder to trace, because those could have been trades (especially on higher levels, where this offers the greatest boost).

14. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

At least for pitboss games, this shouldn't be too much of a problem because of Civstats, which provides a log of every time your score goes up/down in a turn - thus making the acquisition of extra techs obvious. However, that doesn't negate the fact that in other types of multiplayer gameplay (for instance PBEM and Gamespy), this bug could be a serious issue.

15. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

I have never tried any of these mods (nor do I intend to) but how do they differ reloads from regular "I have to go to bed so I'll continue tomorrow" loads? :crazyeye:

(Except checking the replay manually for multiple session starts in a very short timespan, obviously)

16. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

without compromising the security they offer, I can't go into details on them, but suffice it to say from someone who has used them from the administrative side, it is very easy to tell the difference between reloading and saving and loading again later.

17. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

I'm guessing this isn't a moddable fix, and will require an EXE change to repair?

18. echosfolly

echosfolly Chieftain

I havn't been able to reproduce it with the BAT mod....Don't know if that means anything

19. bwcbwc

bwcbwc Chieftain

Well, maybe not. It does sound like a mouse event bug, probably combined with the state restoration after returning from the Civilopedia to the game. But maybe that can be overridden from the SDK? If not, a mod could completely disable the free techs for liberalism and Oracle.

Also, since the score goes up from tech trades, that means a free tech will show up only as a score increase for the cheating player, while a trade would show increases for both traders. There are still some fine points to that detection since scores change for multiple reasons, but in general a cheaters score would go up disproportionately.

20. mail2345

mail2345 Chieftain

Having difficulty replicating. Can replicate, it's just difficult(can't seem to push both buttons right consistently).
    Testing on BUFFY.
    Too bad there isn't a way to be sure 100% of if someone is cheating.