(3-NS) Stop sending missionaries trade option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralAmadeus

Chieftain
Proposal Details:
Add a option to trade menu to stop sending missionaries and GP to my cities.

Reason:
Right now tho only options to stop other players from converting your cities with missionaries is to either ask them nicely via the discuss option or declare war. It would be good to have a less drastic option available than asking nicely. This would allow players to pay for the privilege of being left alone by fanatic preachers or to have it as a concession after war.

Example/Rant:
In the current game i am playing i declared war on Spain when i saw 3 missionaries in my borders. I was not ready for a war nor had i prepared or intended to start one. But it was easier to fight a war than to keep them from converting my cities with my own missionaries and inquisitors. There was no hope either of us would break through a narrow land corridor that was our border and neither of us had the navy for an amphibious assault. It has so far been 70 turns of war with no change in borders and a second AI declaring war on me and blocking a second religion from being spread about 50 turns ago. There have been numerous peace offers (white and them giving me 1000-2000 gold) and i have not considered any of them because peace comes with the hidden gift of enemy religion.
Rant Update:
Eventually I had to make peace with Spain to deal with unhappiness. Next turn there were 4 missionaries in my borders.

Last edited:
I would love to be able to kill missionaries freely in time of peace for a diplomatic penalty indeed.

I would love to be able to kill missionaries freely in time of peace for a diplomatic penalty indeed.
That's not human-friendly. You'll have to search your whole territory for rival missionaries every turn, to see if any sneaked past your borders.

So the ask here is to have some kind of new agreement that shuts off any missionary spread in your civ from the other civ?

That's not human-friendly. You'll have to search your whole territory for rival missionaries every turn, to see if any sneaked past your borders.
You don't have to. You would just have an option to do that. If AI could do that then it'd be a nice addition.

You don't have to. You would just have an option to do that. If AI could do that then it'd be a nice addition.
Actually you have to do that currently. It's too late when you're notified that your cities have been converted. Or worse, there's not even a notification when your artifacts are being excavated. So it's optimal to search your whole territory every turn already.

Optimal, sure. But you don't have to play optimally to win even on Deity. I usually ignore missionaries anyway, but if someone would like to hunt them during peace for a diplo penalty then why not?

I agree. There are two points to this. Firstly, whenever they convert/try to convert my cities I too automatically declare war, as asking them is a waste of time as no one except player is likely to take any notice. The other point, was the reason I put down a proposal for stopping spying when in a peace deal was more as a temporary measure as the biggest problem there are no real ways to stop these sorts of actions.

In my opinion there should be options in a peace deal, if you have significant score, to be able to stop an AI from spying or sending religious people against you for a limited time, because at the moment there is no real reason to stop a war. In my current game for instance the obnoxious Shoshone keeps trying to put down cites near my borders, which as you know take significant amounts of land. Now I know I could declare peace, wait for him to put down cites then declare, but personally I would rather gain XP on my useful Babylonian range units. If there was something in the peace to stop him doing this for a time, like when they voluntary agree to it, I would call peace, but as there isn't total war is for the Shoshone.

I should clarify that this diplomatic option does not let you kill or attack religious units just stop them from either using the spread religion ability or entering your borders. Which it should be depends on difficult they are to implement. Either would be fine as they both solve the issue.

I should clarify that this diplomatic option does not let you kill or attack religious units just stop them from either using the spread religion ability or entering your borders. Which it should be depends on difficult they are to implement. Either would be fine as they both solve the issue.
Please refresh my memory - do inquisitors directly adjacent to a city hex prevent religion spread? IIRC, that was might have been a feature of the vanilla (G&K)? Perhaps inquisitors could have that feature returned to them entirely or paritially via promotions?

Proposal failed due to lack of sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom