3ds Max and Niftools

coffee junkie

Tech Hippie
Ok, normally I don't ask question. I always get to understand how to do thing but this time, I'm really hitting a wall.

I'm trying to modify a mesh. Not doing one from A to Z, just taking one, making some small changes and, this were it never works, got it back working fine in Civ.

Here an exemple : I changed one / two thing but the left hand isn't working fine.

I thing it might have to do something with exporting. I've read all tutorials I could get my hands on and the step by step for exporting isn't working for me. It only works with the niftools window export.

Here what I'm talking about :

Now, I really need help on making this thing work and understanding it. If I want to do better units, I need to move foward ;)

If you use Max 6, 7 or 8, then I suggest you use the other plugin (just go back to Civ4 - C&C and take a look at some entries above this thread). Niftools was only good for me for importing, although units could work somehow. However, you'll then need to 'nifswap'.

If that's not possible because your Max is 9 or later, try disabling the following checkboxes:
- export skin modifiers (well, could easily be, that you really need this activated though)
- enable multiple partitions
- sort nodes (I believe this screwed up things very well when I tried it)
- Add Accum Nodes (you should not add anything via the exporter if you ask me)
- zero transforms
- collapse transforms (collapse sounds like something could get lost)
- Transforms

Also, I would not weld vertices (you could lose some), so set the value to 0.

Well, these are just guesses. You might try to disable these separately at first, then disable more then just one at once. Start with the boxes I listed with brackets - except of the very first entry of my list maybe.

First, thank you so much for your answer cool 3a2 :)

I was away for few days but back now.

Going to follow your advices and tell you if it works better.

Once again, thanks ! :D

No prob. I'd be interested in your results myself. I would be interested especially in whether one can import and export again leaderheads while keeping the shader. That was my biggest problem when giving this a go. So, I'd be glad if you could simply try to import and export an LH. Of course, only after you solved your own problems and if you have the necessary time.

Top Bottom