[Vote] (4-02) Proposal: Swap some Blockade/Piracy Bonuses

Approval Vote for Proposal #2 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 4, Proposal 2
Proposal
: Swap the city gold steal and withdraw from melee abilities on the Blockade and Piracy (Naval melee promotions). New promotions would be:

Piracy: Gain 100% of the CS of defeated enemies as gold. Steal gold equal to 100% of damage inflicted on a city, capping out at city strength x 10.
Blockade: +25% CS when defending vs ranged attacks. +50% chance to withdraw from melee combat.

Rationale: Both of promotions are very niche in the promotion line, and frankly are almost always dwarfed by other promotions. With this swap, with focus the abilities more. Piracy is now the ultimate "steal gold" promotion, giving you multiple ways to snag gold. Blockade becomes a strong overall defensive promotion, giving you resistance to both ranged and melee attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the new promotions don't make a big change anyway for the purpose you envision. It is unlikely you will use the piracy promotion to attack a city (cause you won't deal that many damages - hence not much gold - if you don't commit to the dreadnought side of the tree and you will be very very easy to snipe back). The new blockade won't be useful either in my opinion. If you attack a city your melee ships should have their back covered and it's unlikely they would have to avoid any melee engagement. Plus thematically if you blockade you don't want your ship to evade to a new random position. While being hard to catch fit thematically with piracy.

Overall I would say it makes the dreadnought side of the tree much stronger than the other one: your ship will be still as good for city attacking and will be a nimble ship for high seas fighting. That would be unbalanced probably.

New code, but what about:
Blockade extra effect: can blockade land tiles adjacent to the ship (unless protected by unit)

Proposal sponsored by Legen.

Gold steal from boats is a nice mechanic, but it doesn't scale very well. You need to keep in mind how much water is on the map, the more water the less gold it should give, and the civ the boats belong to.

For that matter, stealing units as Huns is also bugged, when taking a barbarian camp you don't always take the unit with your horsemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom