• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

axatin

Prince
VP Congress: Session 5, Proposal 40

Problem/Rationale of this Proposal:

The scaling of unit maintenance costs over time is currently determined by the percentage of elapsed game turns. This isn't a good measure because the number of turns to win a game depends strongly on the difficulty level. I propose to change the scaling so that it's based on the percentage of researched technologies instead. The scaling of unit costs will then be more similar across difficulty levels. In addition, the unit costs will then be lower for players that are behind (and usually have weaker units).

As a game is usually won before the end turn, this would require reducing the scaling factor a bit, otherwise unit costs would become too high in the late game. I calculated it through using a set of save games. With the change I propose, unit costs would still be slightly higher in the late game than they are now. As there's also an increasing discrepancy between unit costs and building costs in the late game, I suggest to reduce late game building maintenance costs slightly.

Proposal:
Unit maintenance cost scaling:

• Unit cost scaling is determined by the percentage of researched technologies instead of the percentage of elapsed game turns
  • The scaling factor is decreased from 8 to 7 (see explanation below)
Building maintenance cost scaling:
  • The costs of Industrial Era Buildings (currently 6 or 7 gold) are reduced by 1
  • The costs of Modern Era Buildings (currently 8 gold) are reduced by 1
  • The costs of Atomic Era Buildings (currently 10 gold) are reduced by 2
  • The costs of Information Era Buildings stay at 10 gold

Spoiler Explanation of unit scaling: :

The current formula is (Number of Units with Maintenance)*(1 + 8*(Number of Elapsed Turns)/(End Turn Number)). To this value, an exponential increase is applied that causes in particular large armies to be more expensive.
With the proposed change, the formula is replaced by (Number of Units with Maintenance)*(1 + 7*(Number of Researched Techs)/(Total Number of Techs)).

Spoiler Example :

Playing on Immortal difficulty, Standard speed, approx. 15 cities, Progress (no Authority unit cost reduction):
Turn NumberResearching Tech (%Techs Researched)Number of Units with MaintenanceCurrent Unit Costs*Current Building CostsChange Unit Costs*Change Building Costs
220Economics (49%)45143280+20
257Fertilizer (61%)66259511+34-3
286Rocketry (68%)92433985+65-44
324Advanced Ballistics (78%)905011570+106-108
356Robotics (89%)986492121+197-188
* In my game, all unit costs were increased by 25% because of a WC proposal. The values shown are the ones before the 25% increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the proposed change, the formula is replaced by (Number of Units with Maintenance)*(1 + 7*(Number of Researched Techs)/(Total Number of Techs)).
This equation? It mentioned "Total Number of Techs".

Suggested amendment: everything else the way it is now, but don't nerf the 6 GPT buildings and do nerf the 7 GPT buildings, making all of them consistent at 6 GPT. :)

To better how light the intensity (or lack thereof) for the change, here are some % notes.

Turn NumberResearching Tech (%Techs Researched)Number of Units with MaintenanceCurrent Unit Costs*Current Building CostsChange Unit Costs*% ChangeChange Building Costs% Change
220Economics (49%)45143280+21.40
257Fertilizer (61%)66259511+3413.1-3-.6
286Rocketry (68%)92433985+6515.0-44-4.5
324Advanced Ballistics (78%)905011570+10621.2-108-6.9
356Robotics (89%)986492121+19730.3-188-8.9

Here is a great example of why I don't think late game costs need to be increased at all.

Spoiler :

screenshot.png

All ETRs a going and I still have a negative GPT.

Would the costs increase in this example? You're at turn 369, that's 74% of turns, and in terms of techs you seem not to have Infantries or Destroyers yet. What do the demographics say, what's the percentage of techs you have researched?

Would the costs increase in this example? You're at turn 369, that's 74% of turns, and in terms of techs you seem not to have Infantries or Destroyers yet. What do the demographics say, what's the percentage of techs you have researched?
I'm at 73% tech

Wouldn't your costs go down under the new proposal ( 73vs74) (7vs 8) and lower building maintenance-- or is that the point you were making?
Exactly, that was my point. If the proposal passed, the costs would decrease sometimes, depending on the tech progress of the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom