Approval Vote for Proposal #69

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" for every proposal you'd be okay with if it were implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if these proposals weren't implemented. You can vote for any number of options.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 5, Proposal 69

@azum4roll's proposal

Current quest rewards:
Base :c5influence: Influence: 25
Base :c5gold: Gold: 60
RandomMod: 10

Formula:
Era scaler = 100% for Ancient and Classical, and +50% for each era afterwards
Random contribution = random(RandomMod) * 2. This gives a uniform distribution of random numbers 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18. This number is added to both era-scaled Influence and Gold.

Quest reward modifiers from player: Austria +50%, Foreign Service +50%
Pledge modifier: +15% if pledged to protect
Personality modifier: +25% if Friendly, -25% if Hostile
Same religion modifier: Abode of Peace +25%
Above modifiers stack additively and apply to both Influence and Gold

Gold mods:
Mercantile: x1.5
Maritime: x1.25
These stack multiplicatively.

Problem:
In the very early game, you can get quests to gift Slingers to CS, but the Slingers are so cheap they sometimes cost less than what the CS gives. And then there are the Spearman UUs which don't obsolete until Renaissance, but cost very little compared to the gold reward.
This quest is very easy to complete compared to another quest with slightly lower reward - Bully CS, which obviously pisses off a CS and may trigger a quest to declare war on you. It should have a low reward to match the low cost and risk.

Proposal:
Lower base influence to 20, RandomMod to 5 (same as bully CS) and base gold to 40. These are all simple SQL changes.

@axatin's counterproposal
(see discussion before vote for this proposal there)

Proposal:

• The rewards for the quest stay as they are currently
  • In order to fulfill the quest, the gifted unit must have a minimum amount of XP (stated in the quest description)
  • The amount of XP required is the amount of XP a newly produced unit has when produced in the "best" city
  • UI improvement: When selecting a unit to gift to the CS, the hexagons around the units that fulfill the requirements have a different color than white
  • The quest will not be given if no buildings that give XP have been built yet (no "0 XP" requirement)

Rationale:
As it was pointed out in the discussion of the OP, nerfing the rewards doesn't address the deeper problem of the quest: It can effectively be fulfilled by giving the city-state gold, which is then partially refunded. Beside the fact that this doesn't feel like a good quest design, it is also effectively a trade of gold for influence. It's similar to the vanilla implementation of just spending gold to get influence, and goes against the VP concept of having to use diplomatic units (of course, diplomatic units can also be bought, but at least there are cooldowns, they have to actively travel to the CS, and there's the paper restriction).

With this proposal, an XP requirement is added that forces the player to actually produce the unit, not just buy it. This makes it harder to fulfill the quest and the player is faced with the decision if he really wants to give away a fully-trained unit. The restriction that the quest is not given if there are no buildings that give XP yet prevents having an incentive for delaying Barracks.

One limitation of this proposal is that with the Freedom Policy "Draft Registration" (Full XP for bought units), it would still possible to fulfill the quest as before. On the other hand, in the late game the relative value of the quest has decreased a lot because of the strong rise of unit costs in Industrial, and because diplomatic units can now be produced in high numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially when playing Austria, since you get a +50% reward from quests, you can reliably hit rewards above cost (and statecraft help, too). Plus, this quest have a hidden +8-12 :c5influence: , since your are giving a unit.

Realistically, this needs to reward something that isn't gold. As long as it's costing gold to reward you with gold, the quest won't feel good, even if it's "balanced".
At the end of the day the quest is basically: "have a bank? did you comb through all the CSs to find the one asking for a unit? here's some free* influence".

Realistically, this needs to reward something that isn't gold. As long as it's costing gold to reward you with gold, the quest won't feel good, even if it's "balanced".
At the end of the day the quest is basically: "have a bank? did you comb through all the CSs to find the one asking for a unit? here's some free* influence".
i agree with the concern on some level, but at same time, is this not an abstraction of real life financial mechanism... "spend money to make money"

I can see lowering gold but do we need to lower influence as well?

Ultimately I'll admit my bias, I really like this quest. Its one of my favorites, and I'm worried we are overreacting on the nerf.

Ultimately I'll admit my bias, I really like this quest.
agreed, and I agree that the nerf may not be ideal. Maybe there's room for changes here? Not sure if it would be viable code-wise, but say you give unit, get instant influence reward, and one of two time-delayed additional rewards: if unit survives x turns, you get it back with +1 level; if it dies, you get gold consolation prize payout

I can see lowering gold but do we need to lower influence as well?

Ultimately I'll admit my bias, I really like this quest. Its one of my favorites, and I'm worried we are overreacting on the nerf.
It's mainly for the comparison with the bully quest, which is much harder to fulfill and has a drawback.

It's mainly for the comparison with the bully quest, which is much harder to fulfill and has a drawback.
So then is the bully quest too weak then? (though if the tribute rework passes that will certainly add more appeal).

I'll also mention that when the influence reward is less than 30, and for a far-off CS that I'm unlikely to influence again (I'm not gambling that another easy quest will come around), it may still be completely un-worthwhile, even if I'm refunded 90%+ of the cost.

Last edited:
I'll also mention that when the influence reward is less than 30, and for a far-off CS that I'm unlikely to influence again (I'm not gambling that another easy quest will come around), it may still be completely un-worthwhile, even if I'm refunded 90%+ of the cost.
I'd gamble that if 90% cost is refunded, because then the cost is very low.

Yeah I was probably hyperbolic with the 90%. But I guess the randomMod is added to both the Influence and the Gold equally, judging by the OP? Is that correct? @azum4roll

That is, it will roll 0-18 once for the quest. Meaning if you have a low gold refund, you are also getting a low influence reward. So it's 60g, 25 influence (+5 or whatever for the unit itself) in the worst cases, which are the ones I'm remembering not completing (if I don't already have a bit of influence already). I guess the actual worst case would be with a hostile CS as well, so: 45g / 20 in

Yeah I was probably hyperbolic with the 90%. But I guess the randomMod is added to both the Influence and the Gold equally, judging by the OP? Is that correct? @azum4roll

That is, it will roll 0-18 once for the quest. Meaning if you have a low gold refund, you are also getting a low influence reward. So it's 60g, 25 influence (+5 or whatever for the unit itself) in the worst cases, which are the ones I'm remembering not completing (if I don't already have a bit of influence already). I guess the actual worst case would be with a hostile CS as well, so: 45g / 20 in
It'll be rolling 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 if RandomMod is set to 5. The influence will always be below 30 before Medieval (good, no more RNG!)

Yes, the same random value is used for both influence and the reward yield.

I do the quest even for hostile far away CSs only in order to refresh it and have a nearby friendly CS ask for it. I like this quest, a lot, as it allows for CSs to get a nice army of gifted units early on, but it should not give gold back. I'd welcome a change for it to provide Great Generals or Admiral points, a way for pacifist civs to still get military leaders.

I do the quest even for hostile far away CSs only in order to refresh it and have a nearby friendly CS ask for it. I like this quest, a lot, as it allows for CSs to get a nice army of gifted units early on, but it should not give gold back. I'd welcome a change for it to provide Great Generals or Admiral points, a way for pacifist civs to still get military leaders.
This is a great idea!

This also means that as a pacifist, you don't get economic bonuses, and you can't spend gold from quest to do the next quest. I think it's in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom