59 hours in, and I've already lost the will to play

That's got to be some sort of record. I remember a point during my Civ I heyday when I played over 59 hours in a single week when I was home from school on break.

Anyone else get tired of this after their first win? I can only hope the new patch fixes the attrocious combat AI.

Anyone else get tired of this after their first win? I can only hope the new patch fixes the attrocious combat AI.

It does not. :sad:

Once again I have happily slaughtered bowmen, while the cavalry was feeding their ponies in the background.

I'm currently playing Civ4. Partially this is because of all the 'new' stuff about Civ4 I've learned just from listening to the wider debate about Civ5 and partially because Civ5 isn't quite doing it for me. After several games I realized that I could easily live without a lot of the little stuff....it is the game core which I fundamentally dislike (which means that XPs are unlikely to fix anythign for me).

Frankly it's really depressing....especially as I really enjoy 1upt, etc.

That said, I'm sure I'll go back to Civ5....just not quite yet.

Uninstalled it few weeks ago... BUT I had 40 hours played already. Will go back after it is better than BtS.

I can then say that about 59 minutes of CiV gaming in my friend's home...

What an experience that was!

I either lost my will to llay or it was that I had to choose between the game/coffee and freshments that was offered to me.
At that point I chose the latter.

Still feel uneasiness and pain inside. Don't know why.

Yeah, from what I hear the new patch doesn't fix things. Perhaps the next patch, which is more aimed at the AI, will make it better.

Well, I'm still getting enjoyment out of the game... sorry. :p
If it makes you feel any better, OP, you're purchase netted you over an hour's worth of entertainment per dollar. (that is if I'm reading you right and you were having some fun until you got bored with the game)

It would take me 20-30 hours to finish a game and then I would take a break for weeks or months (and go play something else). Then I would get the urge to play Civ again. I played Civ2 for 8 years and Civ4 for 5 years like this, looking forward to play again. Civ5 is no different. I played two long games back to back and now I am taking a break for a little while. That way when I get back, it would feel fresh and the game would be improved some more.

The scary part is this .... when you go back to playing Civ4, there's nothing about Civ5 that you miss.

That's the result of doing game design by subtracting elements off an existing game.

If you haven't already bought Civ 5 yet, take the hint and don't.

My first post after playing Civ5 was that I'd slept like a baby that nite. That had never happened on any nite when I'd first gotten a Civ game. I always stayed up all nite playing the game. Not this time. An hour before my normal bed time, I was yawning and deciding I was too tired to play on the computer any more.

Maybe we can call it Civ Z, as in ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Yeah, from what I hear the new patch doesn't fix things. Perhaps the next patch, which is more aimed at the AI, will make it better.

From the notes, they aren't even really 'patching' the game yet. This 'patch' looked like a lot of stuff that should have been in the 'final' release but wasn't ready. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they fixed a lot of stuff. But, when you see a dev team still working their schedule to put new features in the game, then you know they aren't into the stage of really patching and balancing this game yet. At least a chunk of their programmers are still working on finishing the original code.

The Civ 5 layaway plan. Buy the game now, they'll deliver the final game next May.

Of course, the sad news is that you know the version that really does finally 'fix' what they can with Civ 5 won't be a free patch. Nope, that's going to be in an 'expansion pack' that you'll have to pay for.

you're purchase netted you over an hour's worth of entertainment per dollar.

Which definitely makes it the worst civ game ever.

For a civ game, you expect that to be many hours of entertainment per dollar. Even up means you bought a bad game. How many people can even count how many hours they played Civ 4? I couldn't begin to even estimate, its such a high number. Whatever my count, add 15 because I had it fired up yesterday playing it even more.

Civ 4, with BTS, is probably dirt cheap right now. If you don't already own it, then go buy that instead. The game is years old, and a lot of people still have it on their hard drives and still play it. That's probably thousands of hours of entertainment for $9.95 nowadays. A much better deal.

If people got hundreds or even thousands of hours of entertainment from Civ 4, then you can understand why the same people who find they only get an hour's worth of entertainment per dollar from Civ 5 are so disgusted by that.

Civ 5, the MOO3 of Civ games.

The one thing that makes it a bit dull for me, with my gameplay style, is that there is absolutely Nothing to do besides wage war.
Now, i Never ever waged war in Civ4+all exps, i'm dead serious, never.
I just played the culture, diplomacy, religion and trade game, and expanded, tended my cities and llllloved every single hour of it. Over and over again.

Now in Civ5, its like. Yeah, the combat is awesome. Yeah, for the first time i do like the combat in a civ game, but... I dont WANT it, you know? I dont want to be forced into it. This is a civ game, not Starcraft 2 (that i also love, but just as Starcraft shouldnt be like Civ, Civ shouldnt be like Starcraft).
I feel like there's nothing but combat in Civ5. You have to massage and sausage-suck the AI's to ridiculous lengths to keep the peace, you have to build a large army, to keep the peace, that's ridiculous.
(if you think its realistic, think again and take a look at real life) Its ridiculous that the AI plays to "win". And hugely immersion breaking..
I mean, play to win? Win what? Win the world? Win the future? Win what?
Oh wait, win the game. Game.

This brings to mind Sid Meier's talk on GDC a while ago, about the secret agreement between the develper and the player to suspend the disbelief, the devs part is to design the game in such a way as to provoke the player into willingly decieve himself to think its real, to extend the gameplay and immersion.

Then comes Civ5, as if it hadnt listened to Sid what so ever, and the AI's magically want to win the game, the concept we were supposed to agree on to keep hidden, we were supposed to pretend it was a world of different civilizations and nations, growing and dealing with eachother in various ways.
And here comes Civ5 and just blatantly and incredibly clumsily announces "I WANT TO WIN!!", spits in your face and declares war because they settled a city next to your capital, because the AI predicted ten thousand years in the future and decided that the threat of nukes is too great, its best to annihilate the player now with the bowmen (and fail).

I mean what else is there to do to keep the immersion?
Theres no diplomacy, you cant do anything. The only reason to go into the diplomacy window is to declare war or propose peace, and to trade gold or +5 happiness.
(call the resources whatever you want, they are all just a +5 happiness stat anyway)

And the entire Pact of Cooperation is only there as a MEANS TO ENSURE FURTHER TRADE, but.... The thing is, there IS NOTHING FURTHER TO TRADE... So, hence it loops back to the Pact of Cooperation being rendered useless. It blows my mind how such a common sense conclusion didnt enter the designers mind.
This applies exactly the same way to Pact of Secrecy too, the only purpose of the Pact of Secrecy, is to worsen relations so you can declare war "easier" in the future, but the thing is, there's no "easier" way to declare war anyway, just hit the declare war button, hence it also loops back rendering the Pact of Secrecy utterly pointless as well.

If they worked on having a big normal tech tree, they could keep tech trading, and then there'd be an actual reason for diplomacy, and an actual sense of excitement when meeting a new civ as in civ4, rubbing your hands wondering what goodie techs they have for trade.

Instead of as it is now, you sail across the ocean, discover a new continent with Ghandi on it, and.... Well.. He has cotton and some gold. Wow. How much fun. +5 happiness again. Next.

This brings to mind Sid Meier's talk on GDC a while ago, about the secret agreement between the develper and the player to suspend the disbelief, the devs part is to design the game in such a way as to provoke the player into willingly decieve himself to think its real, to extend the gameplay and immersion.

Then comes Civ5, as if it hadnt listened to Sid what so ever, and the AI's magically want to win the game, the concept we were supposed to agree on to keep hidden, we were supposed to pretend it was a world of different civilizations and nations, growing and dealing with eachother in various ways.
And here comes Civ5 and just blatantly and incredibly clumsily announces "I WANT TO WIN!!", spits in your face and declares war because they settled a city next to your capital, because the AI predicted ten thousand years in the future and decided that the threat of nukes is too great, its best to annihilate the player now with the bowmen (and fail).

I think your entire post is spot-on and should be sent to Firaxis. I wanted to quote this part for emphasis because it is so true. Why did they decide to ditch the immersion-filled role-playing aspects of the AI for a dull, boring 'play to win' style? Did anybody actually want this? Sure, I remember people in cIV complaining about the AI's lack of ability to choose a victory condition and win the game but I'm 99% sure that Firaxis' horrible diplo-mangling is not what they had in mind.

cIV diplo had some issues, it could be too spreadsheet-like with its bonuses at times, but geez at least it was INTERESTING. It created interesting decisions and the feeling of really interacting with these leaders who all had distinct, consistent personalities. Also, there was genuine REWARD for developing a strong friendship with them. ciV diplomacy is a mess and I'm not sure anyone including the devs could argue.

Bring back the feeling like I'm interacting in a vibrant world rather than moving glorified chess pieces around a glorified chess board.

Why did they decide to ditch the immersion-filled role-playing aspects of the AI for a dull, boring 'play to win' style? Did anybody actually want this?

Be careful in making assumptions. I agree that diplomacy sucks but I want an AI that I have to outsmart, however they are playing. It doesn't matter what they are called or what color they are, I just want them to play smarter. To me, "role-playing" doesn't equate with playing a strategy game to win a challenge. There was no "role playing" in Civ4 either, just hard opponents to beat when you are in a big hole at higher difficulty levels. That's what I want, not some pretend stuff that has little to do with playing the game.

Even after getting the patch yesterday I haven't played. I think I'm going to shelve it for at least a year and then see where it stands... we'll see.

Besides, I'm too busy with GC2 and EU3 right now anyways. :D

Well, I've stopped playing too. 59 hours of gameplay might have been considered a decisive victory for any other game, but for a civ game it should rank as major defeat, to use ciV lingo. ;) I'm guessing that like me you probably didn't really enjoy part of those 59 hours either.

Civ 5, the MOO3 of Civ games.

Wow.. let's not go overboard here. :lol: Yes, ciV is a big miss for me too yet surely it's no MOO3? Kind of like Spore - massive disappointment, but still somewhat enjoyable in some small, basic way. :( MOO3 was frustration incarnate and failed in every possible and impossible way. :crazyeye:

Of course, the sad news is that you know the version that really does finally 'fix' what they can with Civ 5 won't be a free patch. Nope, that's going to be in an 'expansion pack' that you'll have to pay for.

Game purchasing process these days:

1. See game release
2. Wait to see if there's DLC
3. Follow news coverage (those usually say how many DLC's are planned for the games "lifespan")
4. Buy Game of the Year edition.

Alternatively, just wait for it to go on sale in Steam.

the patch that will fix and make everyone really comfy is more than likely a long ways away

just use mods, its how all pc games are nowadays. new game = crap, with mods = great

or wait for a patch 6-12 months down the road

30 secs to 1 min turn time after turn 300. 170 hours invested, i am tired already. I had to make / use custom maps and limit the workers just to have a decentish performance.

What bothers me a lot:

- horrible performance, turn speed and so on, on med-high end systems
- horrible diplomacy and AI behavior. Its like they were made by a 5 year old designer...

Top Bottom