59 hours in, and I've already lost the will to play

The scary part is this .... when you go back to playing Civ4, there's nothing about Civ5 that you miss..

For me I miss not having to build transports to sail your units across the sea. That was a really nice addition to Civ.

Wow, that's a lot of people who are done with Civ5.

From the notes, they aren't even really 'patching' the game yet. This 'patch' looked like a lot of stuff that should have been in the 'final' release but wasn't ready. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they fixed a lot of stuff. But, when you see a dev team still working their schedule to put new features in the game, then you know they aren't into the stage of really patching and balancing this game yet. At least a chunk of their programmers are still working on finishing the original code.

The Civ 5 layaway plan. Buy the game now, they'll deliver the final game next May.

Of course, the sad news is that you know the version that really does finally 'fix' what they can with Civ 5 won't be a free patch. Nope, that's going to be in an 'expansion pack' that you'll have to pay for

After listening to that recent interview with Shirk, I get the feeling this will not happen, he sure seemed to deflect any questions regarding an Xpack. Xpacks are NOT the new $DLC BUSINESS MODEL$ Expect DLC for this game to be Spain @ $4.99, Malinese @ $4.99, X country not already in game @ $4.99, New UU for X Civ @ .99 cents, New UB for X Civ @ .99 cents, New leader for X civ @ $1.99, New wonder @ $1.99, maybe something bigger like religion @ $9.99... thats the way of the video game industry now, nickle and dime (heh ok dollar and fin) everyone to the max. I seriously doubt you'll see any kind of changes like the evolution of CIV did.

After listening to that recent interview with Shirk, I get the feeling this will not happen, he sure seemed to deflect any questions regarding an Xpack. Xpacks are NOT the new $DLC BUSINESS MODEL$ Expect DLC for this game to be Spain @ $4.99, Malinese @ $4.99, X country not already in game @ $4.99, New UU for X Civ @ .99 cents, New UB for X Civ @ .99 cents, New leader for X civ @ $1.99, New wonder @ $1.99, maybe something bigger like religion @ $9.99... thats the way of the video game industry now, nickle and dime (heh ok dollar and fin) everyone to the max. I seriously doubt you'll see any kind of changes like the evolution of CIV did.

I find this hard to belave as many pc games and some console games still have expansions. I can however see them offering extra civs as dlc and wonders as dlc for a while then throwing them in and expo along with big changes packed together.

I probably totaled 80 hours. I had to finish my last game on emperor and it took forever as I went for a cultural victory. And now I cannot bring myself to play again. There are so many things wrong with this game. I do believe that it is not worth fixing.

What needs to be done is just start again and make CiVI with the hardcore games in mind this time. And please get someone else besides Shafer....

Steam says I played 23 hours worth. That was the same number it was at about three weeks ago or so.

Record for me that's for sure. I'm so sad over this all.

I can only iterate the same. Steam reports 18 hours, and I know I was asleep for a couple of those (yes, I've literally fallen asleep twice playing a Civ V campaign).

I'd like to play more and get my $50 worth, but I fear I have a bit of a wait on my hands until the game is truly "released" :)

I know Firaxis read these forums but I wonder how much of the "negative" feedback they've read? And are they still reading this feedback or have they shut their eyes and turned off their hearing? Is Mr. Shafer screaming "LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of his voice?

I think a majority of people here would agree when I say that we don't want to rubbish Civilization nor Firaxis but we feel we must due to the current state of Civ V. It's, quite simply, BORING.

I still hold out hope that in the next 2 years, we will have a polished, fun, enjoyable and most of all, ADDICTIVE game in our hands. But quite frankly, I don't want to wait. I want this addictiveness now. The fact that Civilization cannot provide that means I either have to go back to a prior version or play a different game. Fallout New Vegas it is. Thanks Firaxis :) It's far more addictive than anything in Civ V is right now.

I wonder if the new expansion is going to be called: "Civ5: The Will to Play"

:)

I'm up to, what, about 70 hours. The patch made things somewhat better, but it I have come to terms with the sad fact that, at it's heart, Civ V is a game for warriors, not empire-builders. That can be fun enough -- and my children certainly like watching the little people fight -- but that is not what I am looking for in this franchise. In other words, it's nice, but it ain't Civ. If things stay as they are, I'll be playing it off and on, but it's back to Civ VI BtS for me.

The good news is that Civ VI should be awesome: Go back and use Civ IV BtS as a base, then add hexes, 1upt, embarking units, and a few other things they did in fact get right.

My steam stats says 126 hours but you can assign 100 of them to my desperate try to find something I like. I really tried to.

Eventually I've stopped playing Civ 0.5 a week ago. There's little to no hope that the first expansion will improve it, so I can only hope that they start on CiVI soon. Without Shafer then, please.

I'm up to, what, about 70 hours. The patch made things somewhat better, but it I have come to terms with the sad fact that, at it's heart, Civ V is a game for warriors, not empire-builders. That can be fun enough -- and my children certainly like watching the little people fight -- but that is not what I am looking for in this franchise. In other words, it's nice, but it ain't Civ. If things stay as they are, I'll be playing it off and on, but it's back to Civ VI BtS for me.

The good news is that Civ VI should be awesome: Go back and use Civ IV BtS as a base, then add hexes, 1upt, embarking units, and a few other things they did in fact get right.
Sigh - I wish...

I get the feeling that with CivRev and now Civ5 (and Civ on Facebook in works), civ6 will be made by buying Evony (which was called Civony before - hint, hint), slapping Meier's name on top and that's it - we'll be playing entirely through browser with "Come my Lord, Play NOW" cleavage monsters. And in interviews with devs we'll learn that "We wanted to go into new direction, cause fans might get bored with all this installation process, lack of innuendos... Now the world is more organic and even more streamlined - you can just BUY whichever buildings or units you want and have a perfect game tailored by yourself! DLC's for Civ5 has proven to be a success, time for a next step!" :lol:

Played one game, shelved the game.

I switched to Kael's Fall from Heaven 2, which is SO amazing... the commercial titles can't really compare to it.

I am up to 119 hours and *gasp* I still love Civilization 5. :) I really like the overall design compared to earlier iterations of Civilization but there are still some work to do on computer opponents (in fact ALOT of work) and ofcourse some more balancing to do to get it perfect.

I think that most buyers of this game are really happy with the game and that this forum does not reflect the average consumers view of the game. There are many people here that have logged thousand of hours in Civilization 4 and other earlier iterations of Civilization and that the difference between the earlier and the newest iteration was abit to big for those people.

Btw I still play Civilization 4 and Civilization 2. I view all the Civilization games as independent game and rate them on they own. For Civilization 2 there are many beutiful scenarios I still enjoy and play from time to time. Civilization 4 has some pretty good mods such as Rhyes, Rise of Mankind 2 and Fall From Heaven 2 that I still enjoy although I have to say that since Civilization 5 was released Civilization 4 even with the mods feels increasingly boring every time I play. Just my honest opinion, I know that most of you disagree. ;)

I think that most buyers of this game are really happy with the game and that this forum does not reflect the average consumers view of the game.

Probably not but the major difference now compared to when Civilization and Civ 2 were released is that now the vast majority are on the internet and will probably go looking for online resources for the game of Civilization. Do a google search for "Civilization forum" and you get this. CivFanatics are up top. Add in a "5" and you get the same. More and more people will come here, I'm sure. Especially for the modding community.

But yes, generally online forums only make up around a very small percentage of what a playerbase thinks about the game. But then again, online forums are generally where developers get feedback on their games to make changes.

I think if you said "newcomers to Civilization are happy with this game", you would be more correct although we do not have any proof either way even though you have a history of playing prior versions of Civ.

There are many people here that have logged thousand of hours in Civilization 4 and other earlier iterations of Civilization and that the difference between the earlier and the newest iteration was abit to big for those people.

Bit too big? Maybe. Dumbing down the game... Oops, "Streamlining" the game is generally never a good thing for your established players, unless it was completely called for and I don't think there was a case for all the changes that arrived in V from IV or even III. Besides that, the game's AI is simply broken. It might be fixed. It might not.

Civilization V is in a lot of ways a reboot of the franchise and one where Firaxis is definitely in danger of losing a lot of already established players - i.e. players that have played Civ for years. Players that have SO MUCH experience (not me, but others) and have so much dedication to the prior games that I don't think we can tell what effect it might have on the greater community if they leave.

Ultimately, crap happens and things change. Some good and some bad. If you enjoy Civ V Saarud, then good for you. :)

I spent 130+ hours on Civ5 trying to find something interesting and then trying to make it run faster. While contemplating on what is wrong with the game I ended up with the following thought.

The gameplay of Civ5 is the gameplay of Civ4 at the point when you know that you have already won the game and only need to transport your troops to every little city on the map to destroy everything and end the game.

And no, I don't enjoy this part of playing Civ games.

Civilization V is in a lot of ways a reboot of the franchise and one where Firaxis is definitely in danger of losing a lot of already established players - i.e. players that have played Civ for years. Players that have SO MUCH experience (not me, but others) and have so much dedication to the prior games that I don't think we can tell what effect it might have on the greater community if they leave.

I have lost all desire to play Civ5, and I've been playing civ games since II. If this reboot is the direction of the franchise, I probably won't be playing future civ games. Seriously, the only reason I have now to fire it up is to try in some way to get some of my money's worth out of it. ....and thats just sad, since its not really entertaining and thus not worth the cost in my time.

I can't much be bothered with ciV anymore either though I wouldn't of burned out on it so ast if I hadn't thought it would be a much better game.

Can't wait for civ6 I heard they are finally going to bring elves and dwarves into the main game.

I nearly got to 50 hours. Haven't touched it in... 3 weeks? No desire to do so either. They won't get a cent out of me for DLC because the base game isn't worth paying.

The empire building is shallow and dumbed down. The wargame aspect is improved, but the AI is dumb as a rock so it doesn't matter. MP support is weak, at best. It's badly optimized (why are the recommend specs for a quad core CPU when it can only actually use two of them at once effectively?).

When they fix puppet cities to not fail and make it so the general strategy isn't "raze everything in sight", then I might get interested again. But right now it's just Civ Rev 2, and that was the last thing I wanted.

I am in the same boat, however i did attempt to play more. I ended up with 140 hours, but the last 40-50 were attempting to stay enjoyed by playing HOF games in order to create a challange.

Overall, i would agree with the previous poster who states that city-states are the issue. I really think that the city state mechanic & puppet mechanic are bad for the game. These gameplay elements end up reinforcing the one dimensional gameplay that civ 5 suffers from.

Top Bottom