6otM 02 Opening Actions

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM 02 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

First!
I've yet played culture vic game. So I had no clue at all. I looked around here civfanatic and got a rough idea for my plans.

Settle in place

For techs, I went AH > Mining > BW > Writing > can't remember exactly after but it's almost beeline for techs of industrial zone, naval, and knights.
I think relic tourism strategy is too much up to early lucky jackpot. And no relic found on my continent, so I decided to utilize Acropolis - cheap theater, in order to generate tourism. But it isn't enough so I'd focus on science to get computer as fast as possible.

For policies, I beeline for PP and Feudalism then into exploration.
I expected really fast culture farming but it's island map. Alone in my big island and only fighting barbs didn't generate enough culture. So I wanted take advantage of leader ability, culture farming through battle, so beelined for Feudalism to get kinghts, then to start warring.

Scout - expected lucky relic but I didn't hit jackpot it went N, NW, W, found another scout in hut.
> builder - I chop for next builder, and two pasture
> builder - put quarry and chop for next settler
> settler - went NW
> settler - went SE

I started with two campus, both on +4 spots in turn 55 -60. Then industrial zones > acropolis > trade routes ones.
I placed encampment for a classical general but Japan kidnapped Budica :(

Mostly for max adj bonus. but IZs are for max aoe effect because I am beelining for industrialization.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
No early war at all. I settled 6 cities including Sparta. Not much room for more cities in my islands.

Godking for fast pantheon,
I focused on production boosts - urban planning plus builder/settler/naval/cavarly etc..

I've met 6-7 of them, can't remember them all but I am not suzerain of any. But managed to get 3 envoys in Toronto and Nanmadol.

Not at all, America and Rome fighting each other, on the other side of world, Japan and Norway fighting each other.

It was okay. I left alot of space in fow in order to farm culture but not many of them spawned so far.

- Any surprises?
Haha, the picture was bait. It's lake, not coast :)
It delayed early wars so this maybe my first game not warring in first 100 turns. lol

I've also surprised at very nice starting, compared to the gotm1.
Civ choice is interesting too. Brazil and Japan seems strong in culture farming.

I am having fun!

turn 101 images
Spoiler :

no culture progress yet.

government and policy

tech tree

civic tree

Played 90 turns. Not feeling much love for the way Civ VI is playing atm. I only built 3 cities and a Wonder, Oracle. Sparta is size 9 so that is good. Barbs are contained, I am scouting with 2 ships. Have not met everyone yet. I feel like I did not get a good expansion going this time. I have some trade routes going, I need more cities. Will play more later in the days ahead.

Ok so this time I started off aiming for the correct victory condition so that's a good start!!! :D

I've only done 1 immortal game up to now and that was a very inefficient science victory finishing around turn 260 so I wasn't sure how this game would go. That said, I've been doing lots of gauntlet games using the Reliquaries strategy and have finished culture games very quickly so at least I knew the mechanics of culture victories before the game started. I still wasn't sure how to approach this but ended up plumping for a safer strategy than relic farming and just go for a normal non-religious culture game. I also have never played on this map script before although i'd watched one of Marbrozirs lets plays before the game was released and figured that it would be fairly isolated start.

My Capital + stuff
Spoiler :

t100 6otm_2.jpg

The strategy I ended up going for was a balanced Culture/Science approach. Basically the first few districts would be science and then I'd get as many Acropolis as possible while building Harbors/Commerical zones in the cities that didn't have decent Acropolis locations. At T100 I have 2 Campus, 3 Acropolis completed and a number of other districts being built. Within the next 20-30 turns I'll have most of my construction done and then I can build a few more cities in strategic spots to get the tourism modifiers working nicely. There is only 1 opponent that might get in my way which is Teddy who has a really high amount of Culture for 100 turns so I may have to go and remove America from this game to make victory swifter. A strategically placed bait city 1 tile away from one of Teddy's cities should do the trick ;)

Culture Score @ T100
Spoiler :

T100_CULTURE SCREEN.jpg

On spot

Mining, Pottery, Irrigation - popped the boost from a hut at the perfect timing, Bronze working so i could chop rainforest, then some other techs which I can't remember. I didn't really have any specific early research plan so I'm probably behind the game in this respect.

Risky start for immortal but I went Slinger, Settler, Settler - I think I ended up switching the 2nd settler to another slinger before it was completed due to barbarian pressure but I didn't keep detailed notes...

I was quite late to the party at finishing districts, I prefabricated the spots as soon as I could but it was around turn 60 before I finished my first campus.

Pragmatically. I mis-clicked the Acropolis for my capital into a terrible spot :(

I expanded pretty rapidly for me although I'm sure it could have been done more efficiently. There aren't many forest left now though as I chop rushed a lot of settlers with the policy that gives +50% settler production. I have 10 cities and I'm not planning to build any more in my central area, any further cities will be purely to set up trade routes or to upset Teddy into declaring war on me.

Nothing special here other than switching production boost cards at the right time.

I've met lots of them by now but most are already under someone else so I'm just going to get to 3 envoys with the culture one i've found for now to boost my culture. I'm not quite there yet... I'm not really bothered about the city states in this game to be honest and I don't think they will be all that much help.

Yes

They were a lovely source of free culture <3 Gorgo

- Any surprises?
No

Last edited:
This was my first ever Civ immortal difficulty game, and my first culture game in Civ 6.

In place

Researched towards archery and the acropolis, then petra because of my 2nd city being in the desert.

As this was my first ever immortal game I focused on military the first 4-5 builds as well as military tech. I didn't want to be rushed by the AI nor raging barbarians.

I believe it was around t70 when I finished Acropolis (I wanted to build it earlier but found out that I didn't have the tech to harvest the stone spot at that time), I then went ahead and built campus

Acropolis, harvested the stone on the hill next to the capital and placed it there.
For the campus I bought the tiles SW of the capital and built it adjacent to mountains for max bonus

Yes, after building 4-5 units of military I focused on settlers. Built 2nd city ~t30 in the desert NW, south of oasis (built Petra here later and the city became my main production hub). 3rd city ~t60 SW. 4th and 5th city before t100.

Switching cards at the right time for boost towards settlers, builders and some military. Culture economic cards and writer/artist/musician cards.

I met city states very late in the game because I didn't prioritise galleys nor cities close to coast before ~t100.

Yes, but I think there were some wars between the AIs. Annoying that America settled north on my island (t129), I wanted it for myself, but didn't start a war over it.

Didn't have any problems with barbarians because of my strategy to build a large military from start which busted the fog on most of the island.

- Any surprises?
I thought immortal difficulty was going to be hard, but I didn't have any problems :)

Also my first Cultural game, as well as my first Immortal. So far though not so bad..

Current state of affairs
Spoiler :

In place.

AH, Mining, Pottery, BW

Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Slinger

Not terribly soon, went Campus then Acropolis in capital.

Got decent adjacencies for my Campuses, also have good spots for IZ

Got my 2nd and 3rd cities up pretty quick, 4th and 5th a bit later, and will have 6th and 7th up soon enough. Think I'll call it there.

God king for pantheon, got an early Writer, then production bonuses.

Met a few late on

People don't like Victoria, and me by association.

Delightful, culture bonus is nice.

- Any surprises?
A few fun ones; Victoria asked me to join her in war against the as yet unmet Japan. She offered me an awful lot of gpt, so I accepted.

Didn't take note this time.
In place.
Well, unlike the AI, I actually skimmed a bit thin on naval techs early so I'm still researching Cartography on T101. I did grab Mathematics (currently building Petra) but I still have Wheel to learn. Hoplites have been in use since almost the beginning to fight the Barbarians but they're really not that great, to be honest.

As for Civics, I ran for the Acropolis first and actually managed to snag the first Great Writer (only claimed GW at this point).
Had 2 Settlers pop out early in between military in units. Since then, I've started putting up districts, a few buildings and a couple more settlers.
First district was actually a Campus. The goal is Acropolis in every city and then it's priority of city. Sparta has a Campus, Corinth put up a Harbour before the Acropolis, Athens has an Acropolis with probably an Industrial Zone coming next (after Petra, of course), Olympia has started their Acropolis and haven't decided on the rest.
Campus is +4 due to that little nook. Aside from that, I'm just looking for ways to maximize Culture bonuses (Petra/Forbidden Palace...)
I've built 4 so far with another Settler on the way to a spot just south of America. Will show a picture of the map.
Really just whatever works for the situation but the goal will be GP and Culture. Took Classical Republic, of course.
I've only just started meeting CS so I have met Jakarta, Hattusa, Toronto, Nan Mandol (I want) and Zanzibar.
With me? Yes. With each other? Japan got ambushed by a joint force of Rome/Brazil but Rome has already backed out of the war. I'm pretty good for the most part.
They can go screw themselves. I don't like building early militaries but for the good of the culture farm, sure.
- Any surprises?
Immortal isn't as difficult as I expected but I'm only 101 turns in.

Another newbie to immortal feeling a bit nervous about this one at the outset. But have survived 101 turns so far (pre-patch)

After moving my warrior revealed the surprise of discovering the water to the north was not actually the coast, I settled in place. Anticipating that it might be quite a small island I decided to risk a builder first, then a scout, before two slingers and a settler. Fortunately, this just about worked out ok, although had the second slinger been 3 or 4 turns later arriving we could have had more problems from the barbarians. With no one else on the island the barbs had no-one else to find so were a bit of a pain in the first 50 turns, but once I'd got archery they were actually great because they were simply culture fodder.

Again guessing a small island, I crammed three cities on to the east side, with Athens (guess no Pericles in the game then) along the more southerly river and Argos on the coast. Further cities followed on the south coast, west coast and north coast, bringing me to six by turn 101. Argos was probably a mistake, it has little production and is eating up potential tiles from Sparta and Athens. Another mistake was that I once again tried and failed to get a religion - and as a result now have a holy site occupying a place where a campus would be much better.

In terms of tech, I went mining, then animal husbandry, then pottery and irrigation to ensure I could capitalise on the land around my capital. Then I went archery to fight barbs (and gain culture) better before going along the top of the tree to get naval resources for exploration. Met Teddy, Victoria, Harald (who hates my puny navy), Rome, Japan and various city states. Still two major civs to meet. On the civics front, followed the inspirations (other than second continent which I didn't get until too late) to political philosophy, then took drama and poetry for the acropolis's. In government I took classical republic - this is Greece after all...

My diplo information hasn't told me of anyone else preparing land for Petra, so even though it feels a bit too late I'm tempted to take a punt. Other than that, I'm hoping to add two more cities on the south-west of the continent, get acropolises up and running, and avoid Harald pillaging my waterfront cities. The score still has me in last place - although only just - so I've got a way to go yet before I'm in with a shot of winning this. But at least I'm surviving on immortal so far. Just installed the patch now, so hoping the more aggressive AI (which I support overall) isn't too much more aggressive right here!

- Where did you settle your city? - In Place
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? - Tried to farm eurekas mostly and took a direct approach to build comm/indu districts.
- What was your build order? - 2xSlingers Builder Settler
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? - Been watching lots of Filthy Robot lately and reading the forums. I think based on this comm/ind are the early 1/2 districts for all major cities.
- How did you place your districts? - Mostly due to tight city spacing I couldn't make ideal choices except that sweetheart campus district that everyone actually made +4, I settled where could only do +3.
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? - A ton. I seem to have settled far more cities than everyone else so far. 4 and 1 more settler coming to make 6 total cities prior to T100. All on home continent. Had no choice as I was alone.
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? - Gold and production, stayed with my default stuff.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? None yet.
- Were your neighbors peaceful? They are fighting amongst eachother, which is nice I think.
- How were the Barbarians? Actually really not too bad. They popped some horse archers on me but they botched the approach and I got to farm them for culture.
- Any surprises? New update was supposed to be easier to be nice to AI, but they all hate me for most part so far. Liz gave me OB, which is nice, but getting denounced for stupid crap by everyone else.

I still don't really have a long term plan. I plan on doing a knight charge into probably Teddy and then go total peace the rest of the way except for C-S. I don't really understand how to get a culture victory even after reading lots of guides on here. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with culture, but really tourism so I'm not going out of my way to start stockpiling culture this early. Will get Comm/Ind Ind/Sci districts up first. I'm looking at an amenity issue and some production issues in my big cities. Hoping Teddy has some good ones to smash.

I think I'll squeeze 3 more cities on my continent, one by dover, one maybe in that area but to the right and on coast. One somewhere in the south hills. Can't see any other obvious spots. I need to read and see if there is some wonder that can go next to dover that makes sense for this victory type too.

I am still rusty, attached my settler and city spots. Not sure I made best choices, but here I am.

Attachments

• 20161120175542_1.jpg
    20161120175542_1.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 413
- Where did you settle your city? In place

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Everything up to the Masonry/Wheel tier is complete, additionally finished Celestial Nav, Currency and Mathematics. We for getting gold production zones early since I noticed I was already having problems with income. Policies I went for culture building, government, and got up to Theology.

- What was your build order? South east, South, West, West

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Went with the shrine pretty early. Didnt get a religion last game so kinda wanted to get one this time. The village i found to the south west had a holy relic in it too so that gave me more incentive to get a religion and start building up tourism.

- How did you place your districts? Purchased the tile to the west of sparta to get the 3 mountain bonus on faith, culture went south east.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? When I realized it was all an island I started pumping out more settlers and really thinking about where my cities would go. I placed my troops I used to clear barbarians where I'm thinking of doing more cities. Working on getting all the island settled and then I'll start on the culture stuff.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Current government is Republic with Colonization, Urban Planning, Diplomatic League, Inspiration and Literary Tradition.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Met no city states yet.

- Were your neighbors peaceful? America founded the first religion with stonehenge and by turn 40 already sent an apostle to me, Ive seen others from the English, but so far no war agression.

- How were the Barbarians? The barbarians were pretty brutal around turn 30, but I had a hoplite, 2 warriors and a slinger to clear the camps.

- Any surprises? The island was a nice suprise.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-22_16-13-59.png
    upload_2016-11-22_16-13-59.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 385
Currently at turn 100.

Started by building 3 scouts, then 3 slingers who bursted fog all around, I also took both military civics early on to power level the scout. (I left the barb's scout alive for more culture)

First expo was in the desert area.

Then I expanded in a ring after that, but i'm having slight trouble conquering the southern tip.

Currently America is leading culture, and I'm starting to build acropolis in every cities (7 rights now)

Moderator Action: Welcome to Game of the Month. Moved this post from the Announcement thread to the Opening Action thread as it may spoil the game for others. Once you open the save, please do not post in the Announcement thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
First post to the forums here. Lurked a lot during Civ 5 but never was all that active. Decided to register and jump in because this GotM looked interesting to me.

Turns 101 Screenshot:
Spoiler :

Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_23_2016 1_32_09 AM.png

Settled in place.

Animal Husbandry -> Mining -> Archery -> Pottery -> Writing -> Bronze Working -> Irrigation -> etc.
First couple were for Builder actions on adjacent spots, wanted to improve those early for turn advantage resource gain. Archery (boosted) was because I figured upgrading my Slingers would help keep the Barb threat under control. Pottery was a pre-req for Writing, which I wanted because that nearby +4 Campus spot looked too good to wait any longer to get. Bronze Working (boosted) because I wanted to check on Iron in case I needed Swordsmen sooner rather than later. Irrigation (boosted) after that for the Silk (and later Sugar) nearby to get my amenity crunch under control

COL -> Craftsmanship (boosted) -> Foreign Trade -> Early Empire (boosted) -> State Workforce (boosted) -> Political Philosophy -> Drama and Poetry -> etc.
Basically it was the shortest route to Classical Republic. Getting an early Settler out early to make a second city in a nice food spot helped me get the E.E. boost, and Writing and the Campus got me the S.W. boost. However having no navy and finding no City States turned getting P.P. into a very slow drag.

Slinger -> Worker -> Slinger -> Settler -> Granary -> Campus -> Settler -> etc.
I've been generally unimpressed with Scouts in Civ 6. I tend to prefer scouting with Slingers instead. Not sure if I needed the Granary really at that point in my build order, basically it just fit the exact time requirement for Writing to finish researching so I could start the Campus ASAP. Put off Monuments until late, killing Barbarians made up for that lack of culture.

Early Campus. +4 with that set of mountains, and using it for the State Workforce boost to speed closer to P.P. and a better government. After that a Commerical District, and then later a Industrial District in my capital.
In my third city I built a second Campus (partly for another boost to a tech, but also because it had a nice +3 setup), an Industrial District, and finally an Acropolis.
Second city is working on a Commercial District right now, it really needs a Seaport for food/housing but not teched to that yet.

For optimum bonuses.

Done a couple Culture victory games before and they feel to me to be so very dependent upon A) Theatre Districts producing GPP, and B) Theatre Districts having places to display Great Works. Going wide early on, claiming a nice swatch of land with decent resources, felt like it might delay my building up Tourism until a bit later but it would let me boost up into Tourism faster later.

Hit turn 100 with my Capital + five additional cities. 4 of which were from Settlers I built, the last from a Settler I stole from Rome.

Growth. +Prod, +Gold, and faster Worker & Settler building. I do need to swap soon over to GPP though on Wildcards.

This is the one thing I know that I most need to get better at with Civ 6, being more on top of swapping the cards out to get the best possible boosts at any given moment. I have a tendency to set them, forget about them, and not go back to change them as frequently as I should when my priorities change.

None. I have yet to meet a City State as I only got a Galley built in the few turns before 100.

Rome & England both declared war upon me on the same turn. Unsure if that was a Joint War or not, but Rome landed no troops other then Warriors and 1 Settler which all fared poorly against my trifecta of Archers. Rejected his first attempt at peace to grab his Settler and then deal for Peace. England didn't have any troops at all to land nearby. War ended pretty quickly and everyone seems happy with me just a few turns later. Not sure what happened to set it off.

Surprisingly non-obnoxious. The mountain range in the middle of the map really helps a lot in shielding the start spot from barbarian approaches. After I got my Slingers going (and then upgraded to Archers) I was able to sweep the island of barb camps (free culture!) and kept them well suppressed.

- Any surprises?
A little curious as to how Washington has all of that Tourism. Wondering if there is a high Tourism natural wonder near their start spot. Still not sure what provoked both Rome and England to declare war upon me at around turn 65'ish, but no complaints as I got a free Settler out of it. Generally surprised that I have kept up this well at this difficulty, not completed a game above Prince yet in Civ 6, which makes me think that I don't understand the difficulty modifiers in Civ 6 yet.

Last edited:
Settled my first city in place. I don't remember my tech order, but it seems I'm around the same as other players?

I took Oral Tradition for my Pantheon for the culture boost from plantations, since a lot of things around us need plantations. Barbarians have certainly been nice for culture.

As for districts, I have 3 Acropolis's up already. I got an encampment and an entertainment district in Sparta as well (hoping for the Colosseum so I can get those amazing adjacency bonuses, I'm not sure if it's a good move but I'll find out!).

I'm realizing now that I didn't do so well at the start in comparison to you guys, but I still have hope that my long-term strategy of getting all of my Acropolis's up early will pay off in the long run. My main Acropolis in Sparta should be beastly with all the district adjacency bonuses.

I made a huge mistake in not ever building a naval unit from Argos because I've still only met America and England, and no city-states. England likes me for unknown reasons, and America is neutral at the moment. Should probably have more coastal cities in general, but I still have room to expand as you can see. I only have 4 cities and yes, I know that's bad by this point in the game, but I have faith that I am doing the right things to get culture.

My empire on Turn 100 (don't laugh at me, lol)
Spoiler :

That's why my Policies look like this at Turn 100 (although I'm realizing now I should probably have the reduced unit maintenance one because that will help my gold issues more right now):
Spoiler :

And my victory conditions:
Spoiler :

I did take note of my city settling times:
Argos - 2520 BC
Pharsalos - 1640 BC (in hindsight I settled this city in a bad spot, although it will eventually be a beastly production city)
Knossos - 550 BC (I had to delay this by several turns because the location I sent it was swarming with barbarians)

This is what happened to me at one point, and that's when I built the dual Hoplite (notice the settler positioning in the 2nd picture):
Spoiler :

Next plan is I'll probably get dual settler going from Sparta and Argos, then a harbor in Argos and a Commercial Hub...somewhere, to help with gold/trade routes. America will probably be my first conquest target. I'll have that builder hook up the dual diamonds so I can hopefully trade one to England or America and get gold, because my gold is really struggling.

Settle in place.

Mining, Pasture (To get the three resources, Stone, Coppar, Sheap = bonus in several polices/tech). Changes polices to only have builder/settler bonus when I am doing them.

Builder, Slinger, Settler, Builder, Slinger, Archer, then start focus on buildings.

The plan
1_26.png

Round turn 50, a 4+ campus to get speed on research, then harbor (turn 80) when we need to leave the island.

Close to the middle mountains on main island to get the bonus for my campus. Else where it get most bonus, failed I little should have set the build industrial zone and entertainment zone closer in the middle so I could later on use the 6 field bonuses better.

4 settled could have done some more but I decided to get the expand north (invasion) on to the Americans.
101 turn:
11_262.png

Going fast for Classic republic, change to Oligarchy when I went on war against the Americans.

Got contact with two not much more.

England, Japan, Amerika yes but I was not!

Got rid of them fast. I was not running around so much until I got power to get them in place.

- Any surprises?
Crappy Island, but soon I realized everybody got crappy islands. Americans in culture lead so I had to stop them

2 West, I wanted both Dye and Copper in my Inner Ring, made shure they were worked accordingly to my need.
Started with Astro because my plan was to spread culture via religion, but I saw Stonehedge complete very early, and bee-lined for campus + naval tech.
Currently we are under Olygarchy and we have a strong naval force (4 quadrireme) and few land units, barb are still a problem on the island.
Warrior - Settler - Slinger - Settler (not optimal in term of expanding, but since then Settler are build in my proxies city)
Turn 51 first Campus in capital then second campus at turn 60. Industrial Zone will be complete by turn 99 unless I get the Euraka which I'm working on)
For max bonus
I think I will have 7 or 8, and more settlers on the way
100% naval prod. +1 Hammer in all Cities / 30% for builder.
Only 1 soo Far.
It's seem to be a slow start for everyone.
Raging ;)

My experience in Immortal in VI is pretty sketchy thus far, one game that I didn't finish, but given my take on AIs going for religion on Emperor, I expected it to be even more competitive on Immortal and so I decided right out the gate that I wouldn't be going for a religion, or a relic victory, unless something happened to change my mind. Nothing did.

First move of the warrior, to the northwest, revealed that the water was just a two-hex lake, and nothing compelling, so I settled in place.

AH, Mining, Archery, Pottery, Sailing, Irrigation, Bronze Working. Wanted to get galleys going as soon as possible, for exploration and for Shipbuilding eureka. Bronze working to reveal iron before my third city was in place.

Scout, Builder, Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Settler, Builder, Trader, Monument, Settler.

I didn't keep notes on this but I think I built a campus around 50-60. Unlike those who placed theirs in the four-mountain location to the south, I went with three-mountain location in the southwest, because cash was very short and I needed to buy only one hex. The other location would have delayed my campus 10-20 turns. Next I got an Acropolis up in the capital (Commercial hub would have come first, except again, I had to wait for the hex to pass to my ownership). Then finally the hub and I started gaining some positive cash-flow. I've also got an Acropolis in Knossos, and one being built in Argos. I've just finished a harbor in Knossos, which will combine with the one building in Corinth to finish Cartography. Once my financial situation improves a bit more, I plan on Acropolis spam.

I've got a nice little Campus/Acropolis/Commercial triangle going in Sparta. The harbor in Knossos is good only for the trade route, but will provide adjacency to the Acropolis and a future Industrial Zone.

I've tried to expand steadily but not insanely. I've got five cities up and and currently building the settlers for six and seven.

Though I often spend some time in Oligarchy for security purposes before making the switch to Classical Republic, I went straight for the latter this time. I've swapped out cards for what I see as the most useful for each situation, trying especially to time waves of expansion (building settlers with Colonization active) to alternate with periods of build-up (builders with the Ilkum card). Merchant Republic will be a priority down the road.

Only Zanzibar so far, which is comfortably mine at five envoys (the only competition being a single Roman envoy).

So far. Not friendly, but peaceful. I notice that Vicky is friends with Caesar so I rather expect her to backstab him soon. Unless he backstabs her first.

I was a bit light on military to begin with and that ended up hurting a bit in that I had to hold my second trader unit unused for several turns until I could clear barbarians from its projected route.

- Any surprises?

I'm surprised I've met only one CS so far.

Turn 104. I have 5 cities with 3 more marked out for next phase of expansion. Terrain is OK but a bit short on luxuries. Settled Sparta in place. Second city as port on river to SE. Other cities on W side of mountains, all slightly away from coast. I have founded a religion (+4 Holy Site) and have a +4 Campus in City 2. Currently building up infrastructure of Industrial Zones before an Acropolis spam (having to place these on a hill is a nuisance, even on this map). Have met 4 other Civs and seem to be mid-table by most stats. At least 3 AI have beelined caravels, which the barbs now have in profusion! I will keep my trade routes internal until barbs are brought to heal. Barb horseman have also been a nuisance (pillaged my first trade route and killed an archer) so hoplites are now being put to good use. Isolated start slowing down tech progress but I have OB with all known Civs and am using GW / GS civics to try to get some early Great People. Will try to keep the peace if possible but there are some feisty characters on the map.

In the location they started me at
Focused on Mining, animal husbandry and then irrigation before going for writing and then production from there
Policies-straight for acropolis and then political
slinger, builder, settler, monument, settler (until my island is only mine)
campus and commercial and now pumping out acropolises
in the +4 mountain circle and then built out from there
5 cities built with one more to come
focused on settler and production
none
so far
very few
- Any surprises?
nope

Immortal means no Reliquary strategy unless you're really lucky and afaik Stonehenge is the same.

So standard build order for me :
Capital BO : Slinger, Worker, Settler, Worker (cut x3, need room for districts), Settler, Monument, Campus, Settler x2, Worker, ID, Granary, Library, Acropolis, Workshop, Scout, Builder (pre), CD
City 1 Athens : Trader, Settler x2 (+bought worker), Granary, Monument, Campus, ID, Builder (forgot to stop :( ), Workshop
City 2 Olympia : Settler, Granary, Monument, Pyramids, Acropolis, Builder (pre)
City 3 Knossos : Worker, CD, Trader, Granary, Monument, Builder (pre), Acropolis
City 4 Corinth : Granary, CD, Trader, Builder
City 5 Eretria : Worker, Granary, Monument, Worker, ID, Builder (pre), Workshop
City 6 Argos : CD, Trader, Builder
City 7 Ephesus : Granary, Monument, Builder
Tech : Mining, AH, Pottery, Writing, Currency, Horseback, Apprenticeship, Irrigation, Bronze Working, Sailing, Mathematics, ShipBuilding, Education, Mass Production, Industrialization
Civic : Craftmanship, Trade, Early Empire, Workforce, PP, Mysticism, Games, Defensive, Feudalism

Got an extremely lucky Eureka of Mass production with the great scientist.
Spoiler :

This is only my 3rd full Civ 6 game (Prince Science Victory and King Domination Victory) so I'm a bit nervous - but I like having a structure and goal to shoot for. I was a good, not great, Civ 5 player and have been playing since the fist Civ 25 years ago. :old: After reading the first few posts I felt like I was really far behind but a few more "normal" posts came in and I feel a bit better with my overall situation.

I felt like I expanded and developed my island well, but my army is a little weak (hoping an island map helps keep me safe). My districts are coming online much later than most other players, and my Galleys are late (which seems to be the same for about half the other players).

Well ok... that's only a lake! So I settled in place - although i see what looks like a cliff to the east. Playing an Island map with a land locked capital feels risky - but I didn't see anywhere worth traveling for.

TECH: {Mining, Animal Husbandry and Irrigation were all needed in the short term for builders - but there was no immediate resource to farm to boost irrigation.}
Animal Husbandry (turn 1 - turn ?) -> Pottery (?-16) -> Mining (16-22) -> Archery (22-28)
Bronze Working (28-36) -> Writing (36-41) -> Astrology (41-45) -> Sailing (45-49)
Wheel (49-54) -> Irrigation (54-57) {late due to waiting for wheat farm boost}
Currency (57-62) -> Masonry (62-66) -> Horseback Riding (66-71) -> Construction (71-77)
Engineering (77-88) -> Shipbuilding (88-98*)*paused half way for boost
Apprenticeship (93-100) -> Celestial Navigation (100-

CIVICS: {Mostly bee-lined for PP, took Oligarchy for balance and foreign relations but am now rethinking that, policy shifted for build queue & military reasons}
Code of Laws (default - turn 14): +Discipline +God King +Urban Planning
Craftsmanship (14-23): +Agoge -God King {got my Pantheon}
Foreign Trade (23-28): -Agoge +God King
Early Empire (28-*)paused due to easy boost achievement {turn 41}
State Workforce (32-41): -God King +Ilkum
Mysticism (41-45) {chose this 4 turn sidestep for policy mgt}
-Ilkum +Colonization
Political Philosophy (45-62): ++Oligarchy +Charismatic Leader +Corvee -Urban Planning +Ilkum
Drama & Poetry (62-71): -Ilkum -Colonization +Conscription +Agoge
Military Tradition (71-74): -Corvee -Agoge +Urban Planning +Literary Tradition
Recorded History (74-86)* on hold for Games and Recreation
Games and Recreation (77-80): -Discipline -Literary Tradition +Ilkum +Land Surveyors
Defensive Tactics (86-99) {forgot to adjust policies} -> Feudalism (99-

Slinger (turn 1 - turn 9) {upgraded on turn 29} -> Monument (9-17) {probably a misstep}
*purchased Slinger #2 on turn 16 - barb scout saw my city and was running SE
Builder (17-24) {improved nearby horse, cattle & stone}
Slinger (24-26) {upgraded on turn 29}
Settler (26-34) {Sparta is size 4} -> Granary (34-40) <Sparta>
Builder (38-47) <Argos>
Builder (40-44) <Sparta> -> Settler (44-50) <Sparta size 5>
THE ORACLE (47-74!) <Argos - gutsy or stupid? - we shall see>
Settler (50-56) <Sparta size 5> ...

I went into districts really late - i did a Wonder (and a lot of settlers & builders) instead
Acropolis (completed on turn 84) <Sparta> finally!
Commercial Hub (completed on turn 99) <Athens>
Acropolis (started on turn 97-) <Argos>
Campus (started on turn 100-) <Sparta>

Normal adjacency bonuses, mostly.

6 Cities, all with settlers I built in Sparta
Sparta (pop 7) - settled in place
Argos (pop 7) - settled in NW Desert
Athens (pop 7) - settled SE on river
Mycenae (Pop 3) - settled on W coast cliffs between lake and sea
Ephesus (Pop 4) - settled on South coast river
Rhodes (Pop 1) - settled lake side in middle of island
{2 future sites planned in SW}

See Civics above.

Only Jakarta. Late galleys led me to be isolated. When I met Jakarta I had 3 envoys that it forced me to use all at once.

England and the US are both peaceful. I share open borders with both. I tried hard to make sure they liked me, including gifting Vicky my horses for a bit. She's now my BFF.

A pain. I've had 2 major and 3 minor Barbarian encounters.
Minor #1: My warrior found and destroyed a camp on the northern part of the west coast before turn 20
Major #1: I spent roughly 20 turns dealing with a major barbarian raiding party that came up the east coast using 3 archer/slingers
Minor #3: My warrior (accompanied by 1 Archer) took out some barbarians in the SW tundra in a couple of events (which led to some nice culture farming)
Minor #3: A barb camp spawned in the middle of the island that 2 Archers handled easily
Major #2: A barbarian horse war party spawned NNW of Sparta. I had no nearby troops to handle them, I bought an archer (which I later lost) and built 2 hoplites while 2 additional Archers came back north to assist. I also lost my trader in this war.
I have had peace and stability on the island for about 20 turns now, and forces positioned well to fog bust nearly everywhere but the tundra.

- Any surprises?
Not really. I am a bit surprised that I went for and got a Wonder built. I hope that doesn't mean it was a mistake. :undecide:

Turns 100 Screenshots:
Spoiler :

The Geek empire:
20161127023228_1.jpg

My pride and joy The Oracle of Argos (with current scores showing):
20161127023516_1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom