1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 08 After Actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 06 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with religion?
    - Did you bother with Culture?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    - Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. paulthebug

paulthebug Warlord

This is my first GOTM!
    Tried GOTM07, got killed like T30 or something. :cry:

T184 Domination Victory, Score 617 Warren Harding

I adopted whacker’s SV playstyle, only focused on campus, CD/harbour, plus monuments.
    Self-settled 11 cities as close as possible before T100.
    Only started wars ~T140-ish: India>Egypt & Norway> Russia > England & Spain.

I have to say, Monty is really OP/fun to play.
    I managed to utilize Gifts For The Tlatoani (1 luxury for 6 cities, +1 combat strength for each luxury), Legend Of The Five Suns (builder-rush district) and Eagle Warrior fully.

Caught 6-7 free builders :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye: from early war with Vilnus & Preslav.
    Imagine if there were another AI on my island...
    Toward the end, I got 14 luxury resources, bumping my Knights’ strength to 62, making them as good as cavalry.:smoke:

Where did you settle your city?

• Settled in place.
    How many cities did you settle or capture?
    • Settled 11.
    • Captured 1 CS (Vilnius)
    • 3 from India
    • 2 from Egypt
    • 2 from Norway
    • 2 from Russia
    • 1 from England
    • 1 from Spain
    • Total 23
    What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Not much focus. Trying to stay in ancient & classical era as much as possible. Timing for Eureka.

Did you bother with religion?
    Nope.

Did you bother with culture?
    • First built for new city being monument, and that’s about it.
    • I saw Vilnus very nearby, debating with myself for good 10 minutes or so do I wanna get culture or free workers? Free workers won out. Got 6-7 free workers from Vilnus using Eagle warriors.:smoke:

What was your build order?
    Scout > Slinger > Slinger > Eagle warrior > Settler

How soon did you build a district? Which one did you prioritize?
    • First district being a +3 Campus on 2nd city. Very early, T30-40-ish. Using Aztec’s UA to builder rush build district. Why not, as I got a lot from Vilnius.
    • Only built campuses, commercial & harbour throughout the game.
    • Zero industrial.
    • Zero theatre.
    • Zero holy site.
    • One entertainment district for Colosseum, but the game finished before it was built.:lol:
    • Zero wonder.
    How did you place your districts?
    I don’t know why, I couldn’t place campus on the tea, otherwise it would had been a +4 campus. Otherwise just as per usual.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    • Yes. Settled all 11 as close as possible to one another before T100.
    • Found Egypt, Norway, Spain & India.
    • Had some inklings where Russia & England were.
    • In the process of capturing Vilnius
    How did you place your governance cards, priorities?
    • Colonization, Ilkum, Serfdom, Public Works,
    • Professional Army, Triangular Trade, Town Charters, Free Market, Natural Philosophy & Meritocracy.
    What CS did you meet and which one did you cultivate to your side? Were CS helpful?
    • For a long time, there were only Vilnius & Preslav. I went to war with both early for free builders.
    • Eventually I suzerained Hattusa & Amsterdam, because I have more CD & campus. Didn’t even meet Brussels, Lisbon & Jakarta until the last 10 turns.
    • In short, negligible impact.
    Were your neighbours peaceful?
    What neighbour? I have to use two 1-charge builders to swim fanatically on both east and west coast to trigger Eureka for Writing & Political Philosophy.:lol:

How were the barbarians?
    Surprisingly tame. Not a challenge at all.

Any surprises?
    Spoiler :
    Very little barb.
    The island is HUGE! 3 Continents! And yet not a single neighbour!
    The capital city is surprisingly good. 1 iron & 3 COALS!!!
    Poor Victoria...:lol:

What did I do wrong?
    Spoiler :
    Should had diverted some Science effort into units building.
    Didn’t need anything beyond Square Rigging. Battleship is not needed.
    Should had delayed Square Rigging, stock piled more Quadriremes and launched a simultaneous attack on multiple capitals. That I guess could easily take ~20-30 turns off the final victory.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Definitely. I was only a Prince-level casual player before. I learned a lot from all of you guys, especially whacker. :thanx:

Attached Files:

3. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Domination Victory, Turn 179, Score 743 (Neville Chamberlain)

Spoiler :

Brief Summary:

I knew Island Plates meant a somewhat isolated start, so I didn't care much about armies in the beginning. But I didn't want Eagle Warriors go to waste, and Vilnius had 4 luxuries nearby, so it had to go (as useful as the +2 culture is).

Then I expanded. A lot. I wanted to fill my landmass with my cities. I didn't know at the time, though, that it was almost as big as a Pangaea landmass. But I eventually stopped settling after I reached bottlenecks.

Found Gandhi relatively early, he had built only 1 Varu, so my land army was enough to capture his cities. Of course, by that time I had expanded it to prepare. Later I spotted Egypt, and Cleo was about in the same situation as Gandhi, so another grab for my land army.

By then, I developed much of my infrastructure (perhaps I over-developed it), but had neglected my navy a bit. As a result, Russia was invaded using a joint force of army and navy. After that, Frigates and Caravels did the job of wiping out the rest of the capitals.

12 cities settled by myself, 4 using stolen Settlers, Vilnius, 3 from India, 4 from Egypt, 2 from Russia, 4 from Norway, 2 from England and 1 from Spain. Grand total of 33 cities.

Techs: Apart from the usual Archery > Currency > Machinery > Apprenticeship early game, I also reasearched Sailing between Archery and Currency (using an eureka), and Celestial Navigation and Shipbuilding, somewhere betwee Currency and Machinery. Then I went for Cartography, Indurtrialization and Square Rigging.

Civics: Not much to mention here apart from beelining Colonialism after Mercantilism, for the Press Gangs policy (100% production to Renaissance/Industrial naval units).

Policies: Had Serfdom active almost all the time after Feudalism for the Builder boost. Also, I ran the 100% production to naval units (both Maritime Industries and Press Gangs) for some time. Not much apart from that.

Not even a bit. Though I had a harder time against Peter because he used Defender of the Faith.

Yes. Unlocking governments and policies is powerful by itself, but it's not always that you have the chance to abuse the 100% production to naval units cards. Those are the biggest policy bonuses to production. Also, naval units are powerful for their time, but quite expensive, so it really helps having those cards ready.

Not that much. I spent a long time with only Preslav, and by the time I found and sent envoys to others, it was already by late game. Though Amsterdam really helped with gold income.

Huge landmass without neighbours, meaning my Eagle Warriors almost went to waste. Vilnius, Gandhi, Cleo and Peter made sure they didn't.

Yes. Island Plates are a refreshing take on Domination games, and I learned that while Aztecs don't have bonuses in water maps, they don't need them to do well.0

Really?

Things I learned:
    • Don't be afraid of putting you soldiers into boats to take foreign cities. Especially for Aztecs, the luxury bonuses meant that a couple of Eagle Warriors might stand up to Varu.
    • Battering Rams work with naval units, and even when embarked!
    • Build Galleys and Quadriremes and upgrade them. Maritime Industries come early with Foreign Trade, but Press Gangs is all the way up to Colonialism.
    • Frigates are very, very powerful. You don't need Battleships to rule the seas, you can do it with Caravels, Frigates and Privateers.
    • I'm still overemphasizing infrastructure. If I didn't stop building ships, I might have finished around 10 turns earlier.
    Overall, I think I could have done it around turn 165. But still, that was quite enjoyable. Also, this map might be very good for a Science Victory, for those that like it. Lots of mountains and hills, and a capital packed full of resources.

Looking forward to the next one!

Attached Files:

4. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Prince

Domination turn 245.

Settled four. Wanted to go settle all over but barbs took one of my settlers and I didn’t get the horses contained fast enough and was made to pay for it. By the time I got the barbs under control I’d changed my game plan so stuck with the four cities.

Captured a bunch. Didn’t count. Basically started with Spain and worked my way east dividing the fleet as needed.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?

Top of the tree to get the boats out but saw I wasn’t ahead enough in science to start war before Square Rigging so I part built ships in a couple of cities. Got the Great Lighthouse for some movement points and then Venetian Arsenal before finishing my boats and heading for Spain.

Stayed in Oligarchy for longer than I needed to in order to top out the XP bonuses for combat then switched to Merchant Explorer for economy to pay for the fleet.

After Square Rigging, bee-lined for coal/iron clads and then battleships. Frigates did Spain and England (split fleet) and most of the work on Russia where I then upgraded to Battleships and accepted Egypt’s and India’s joint DOW to take Egypt and split the fleet again to go for India and Norway.

Found Delhi inland so swam two tanks over to finish the game after the main fleet had accounted for most of Norway.

I had a go and failed to get it which cost me some valuable production in the early game. Didn’t spend any faith the whole game.

Did you bother with Culture?

I tried to keep it going up using trade with Vilnius but didn’t build any theatre squares so didn’t spend too many envoys on them.

Were City-States helpful?

So so. Vilnius for some culture and a few others for gold.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

Barbs… Horses took a few of my units which meant I wasn’t going to war early.

Did you enjoy the game?

Frustrated at the beginning - need to build more land units early on for settling and fog-busting.

Shouldn’t have gone for religion which piled misery on top of frustration.

I then positioned an IZ in the wrong place for Venetian Arsenal so had to wait for another population to build another IZ and then VA… Didn't know that VA doubled the boat built in all cities - that's OP but can be costly to economy early on.

With the timing mess-up I probably didn’t save as much as I’d hoped on the fleet build and I didn’t end up needing to build a big fleet. Great Lighthouse and extra movement was definitely worthwhile though.

Got the game plan back together and was a good game in the end. Fleet set sail for war around turn 180 and had vanquished the world at turn 245.

Attached Files:

5. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

Domination Victory on turn 189 with a score of 560. Not quite enough for the lead but still a personal fastest finish by more than 50 turns so I was pretty pleased with it. I think we are going to see some really early finish times on this one. The Aztecs are unstoppable.

I settled 10 or 11 cities (stopped at the bottleneck to the second large landmass) and then starting focusing on boat production. I captured all of India's cities and then just went for capitals. Almost everyone else got death by Frigate.

What did you prioritize for research and policies? I beelined for steel but it turns out I didn't even really need it. I did conquer the last civ with battleships and probably wasted a few turns upgrading but really Frigates did all the the heavy lifting - I didn't realize how strong they were until this game. For policies I kept the worker card in for almost the entire game along with the naval production bonus. Triangular trade was pretty crucial because everyone was so far away so my economy was pretty dependent on that for awhile. Professional Army off and on to upgrade navy.

I thought about it but decided it would be more of a distraction and went all out science in the early game instead.

Did you bother with Culture?
    Just monuments - it took awhile to get my cash flow up so I needed them for border expansion.

Were City-States helpful?

Less so than usual. I suzerained Preslav and Amsterdam late. It helped a little for unit production.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Melee ships can capture cities?!? I feel like I learn something super obvious every time I play one of these but this really sped up the win for me. Naval units are much better than I originally thought.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes - I played it almost straight through.

I think the Aztec abilities are hands down better than anyone else - it almost makes the game too easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. paulthebug

paulthebug Warlord

Congratulation on the fast victories, fellow fanatics.
    @ShinigamiKenji, thanks for the siege + navy discovery, good find!

7. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Funny thing is, it was totally accidental. I misclicked on my Eagle Warrior next to a Galley and instead selected the ship to attack. I thought it'd take much damage for nothing, but I was pleasantly surprised when the wall was immediately taken down. I also learned there that the luxury bonus also applies to naval units (as people may have noticed throughout the game).

Aztecs are really OP in this aspect and rightfully deserve their place in Tier A along with Rome, Sumeria and Scythia.

8. EthelredTheUnready

EthelredTheUnready Chieftain

Domination Victory turn 208:

I settled 6 cites before turn 100 plus captured Vilnus for the luxuries and the culture district. A few barb horses had slowed down my expansion.

I settled 3 more later 1st - stolen settler from peter so I could upgrade troops near Ghandi 2nd- fog bust the main continent (had too many trade routes pillaged by barbs) and 3rd - to grab some nitre on the main continent. Added too many more - I should have beelined capitals rather than clearing all cities.

Poliicies were focused on unit production, trade route yield and upgrade cost reduction. Other than captured holy sites and theatres , I made no real attempt toward culture or religion. I build a couple of campuses but my science was dragging as well since I went unit production early. I captured Vilnus and was suzerain of Preslaw for the encampment bonuses and sent the rest of my envoys to the financial CS's when I met them but the game was basically over at that point. Its curious that you can meet a CS when the declare war on you and send them an envoy or three.

First army (eagle warriors and archers) set out for India around turn 90 but I stopped to start upgrading to swords and crossbows before attacking city walls and varu. This first army then proceeded to Egypt after India and down to Russia with upgrades as it travelled. A second army of muskets, field cannon and bombards took Spain, England, and finally Norway. Not a very logical route But I attacked with little lay of the land.

I didn't build a navy. This was fine for the early attacks but really became a problem at the end of the game. I lacked naval bombardment and my embarked land units couldn't clear out all the stupid swords and chariots surrounding London and Nidaros. This lead to higher casualties and slow movement as my units trickled through a sea of enemies to get to capitals. I should have researched further and built some navy before going all war.

The huge land mass was a big surprise. I expected to fill the starting island with 4 or 5 cities but it just kept going. It was my first play on island plates and I didn't appreciate the rarity of good production locations or the value of ships. That really slowed me down.

Fun fact - this was the first game where the AI took a city from me other than a early game rush. Near the end of the game, Harald landed 4 knights and 2 swords near a late built nitre grabbing city. He sieged the city and sat for 5 turns (I was curiously watching) before finally attacking. Its nice to know that the AI can take an undefended city if given enough time. I immediately took it back but it was an actual effort at offense.

Not so fun - the tons of obsolete units churning the water near London and Nidaros made a very effective defense against my embarked army.

Attached Files:

9. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Domination victory turn 258. That's a bit faster than my usual at this level, so am satisfied with the win. Took too long to get ocean access... I overbuilt units thinking there would be a use for them, but was suprised how large and empty the land was. So that slowed my teching down, somewhat. Suprisingly easy victory.

Attached Files:

10. Rain

Rain Marquesa

Turn 228 798 Score

39 total 18 settled: razed 2 i think
    Sea Techs Primarily
    Built an early campus and got 4 GS which was all that got taken in the game.
    Won the wars with frigates knights and battleships.
    No
    No Tho I had the lead
    Unlike some others I kept Vilnius and Preslav around and used them to trade with and for some culture bonus.
    Surprised I was so isolated which put my original plans off track. Terrain aside from the start site was very poor for production. Lot of grass and mtns. I had a pile of more or less useless cities producing a bit of culture and taking up space lol.
    Not really my type of game but it was interesting to work through.
    108 kills to 4 losses. Lost a couple of xbows to fog of war attack by England. 1 sword to a barb onslaught. Can't recall the other one.

Attached Files:

11. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

Turn 154

Dunno how many I captured, probably 7? I made 9 cities of my own though. So many luxury resources on the starting continent that I just went crazy snatching it all (and to reduce possible barbarian spawning)

After I realized the starter continent was empty of enemy AI, I knew I would need to learn how to sail. Prior to that I beelined archery, expecting an early conquest.

No. Absolutely pointless. Picked the faster growth Panthenon to get cities up faster and that was it.

Not at first but when my main army started killing the AI in short order I just started building rubbish just to pass time.

No. Well thats not true, the first nearby city state provided a nice way to farm some workers but after I took it over that was it, only met the military CS and it turned on me in my hour of need but outside of that I didn't even meet the rest until the game was virtually over.

No. AI is no surprise to me, just build an army and smash their face in. As usual with GOTM there is always a juicy fruit near our start location but national wonders aren't what they used to be (they are still good but civ6 itself marginalizes them) so I settled 2 cities near it for its large food bonuses.

Eh. At first I started auto-piloting, taking over every city and building a massive army but then I decided to actually try and win a GOTM so I just sniped the capitals and called it a day.

Don't understand this question, the VC was domination so there was never going to be any peace and the AI hate your guts no matter what you do so even then, its pointless trying to make friends.

-Other
    Can be done easily in 134 turns and if optimized (and you keep the barbarians at bay) I would say a 84 turn win is possible. The bonus damage per luxury quickly piled up because we had so many luxuries nearby waiting to be sucked up. Almost made me want to play more of Civ6 for fun but then I would just do nothing but domination victory so it's kind of pointless.

Attached Files:

12. CaptainFranz

CaptainFranz Chieftain

Domination victory turn 209 - 1480AD - Score 679.

This was a weird game. I was not pleased with the start, didn't like the terrain much (other than the luxuries). I played the first 100 turns much faster than usual due to this and being isolated / no war. Played really sloppy up to turn 120/140 when I realized I had a chance because all of other civs were pretty far behind too. I guess that the isolation really hurt everybody. Some AIs got a really tough start on even worse terrain lol. So by far didn't play optimally. Could have probably shaved 10/20 turns, but oh well. Still a pretty fast finish.

Settled 12, captured 17. Only settled 7 by turn 100. I am not as good at settling a lot of cities as opposed to conquering them early on.

Usual techs for war. Mostly went to knights and then took nearly everything with those.

Not at all.

A little. Mostly built monuments and 1 TD. I don't like to fall too much behind, because of the lost boosts to tech trees from having certain civics.

Well, eventually yes. I took Vilnius which was helpful with its 4 luxuries :) Met most of the other ones very very late. They were all at the edge of the map. Not having met any commercial CS until late in the game really hurt my early economy. I had techs but no money to upgrade units.

• Huge size of our "island". Lol. Not a big fan of huge stringy land masses.
    • I was really surprised at some AIs/CSs going heavy naval. Russia just went crazy. I think I destroyed 20+ of their boats. Thankfully all tier 1 and I had a caravel. But it took way too long and I lost 2 knights with 2 promotions each (out of 4 knights I had by then). I guess on island maps I should go heavier naval next time. I tried that before but it was pretty useless. I guess things have changed with one of the patches?
    • Overall surprised at how behind everybody was. I guess isolation hurts everybody. Or maybe I just got used to higher difficulties.
    Not until I started rolling over everybody (T140 or so).

By the knight sword. Take down order was India --> Egypt --> Russia --> Spain --> England --> Norway.
    Army started as mostly knights and a couple infantry with one battering ram and one siege tower. Added a couple bombards and a few more reinforcements along the way. Tried to go for a second army but didn't really get to build a large one. Eventually I sent the few units I had to take Spain which was really weak and then rejoined the main army. Didn't really build enough naval.

Attached Files:

13. DogBoy

DogBoy Deity

Domination Victory on turn 295, 1848AD. Score is 1,279 (Charles de Gaulle)

-How many cities did you settle or capture?

I settled 17 cities and captured 35. I only had 5 cities by turn 100, and built the other 12 throughout the game.

No priority, just worked my way through the trees. I tried to research the ones that I had eurekas for. I had 39 science eurekas and 21 civic eurekas.

No, but I finished the game with the most faith due to capturing cities. I didn't spend any faith the entire game.

Only monuments, and still finished the game with the most culture.

Only Vilinus and Preslav. I farmed them with my Eagle Warriors for builders, and left them alone the rest of the game. None of the other City-States I cared about.

I didn't read the game parameters and didn't know this was an island map. I didn't expand fast enough and built too many land units at first to kill barbarians and my neighbors, but there were no neighbors.

Yes very much, until the late game and I had to make so many units to kill off the enemy. By the time I went on the war part the AI was big and lots of units and cities.

Sword.

I'm still new to Civ6 and am trying to play Civ5, or even Sim City. I was too hesitant to attack and instead built up my nation. I killed 200 enemy units and only lost 2. I built 100 districts. I need to build less and go on the warpath faster in these games.

Attached Files:

kcd_swede likes this.
  14. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

T150, Score 620

Prior warmongering maybe 8 cities. During the process settled 2 or 3 more to get luxuries. Captured 20+ cities.

Research: It would be nice if the Eagle Warriors could swim. It would be even better if they were accompanied by Archers. And it'd be awesome if they were escorted by ships.
    Civics: Aim for civics to get better government. Monarchy > Oligarchy > Chiefdom

Nope. Except pantheon to get culture from pastures.

Pantheon and few monuments.

Farmed workers from Vilnus (50 turns or so). Eventually, made peace and later became suzerain with her. Sending convoys to militaristic CS helped a little.

Well, had a good laugh when I invaded India. See attached screen shot. Actually, it should be posted into funny screenshots thread.

Yes. This was my first dom victory and I learned a lot.

Thanks for the game.

Sword

Attached Files:

RaidandTrade likes this.
  15. Markus5

Markus5 Code Monkey

Turn 258.

Surprisingly easy. I took far too long and built far too many units.

The plan, which worked just fine, was to build the Venetian Arsenal, then spam submarines and ironclads from coastal cities and interior cities produce gold. The submarines and ironclads can capture any coastal AI city. If an interior AI city needed to be captured, just buy a unit from a nearby coastal city already captured. That last step required that any AI city be only one step from the coast so submarines could bomb down the defenses. As it turned out, no problems.

Shortly after turn 120 Russia and England DOW. I targeted them first with the Navy of the East. The first ironclads and submarines were lost to Russia. There were 2 Great Admirals that were troublesome. So, I waited until I could attack with overwhelming force. I took Russia's capitol and got instant peace and was never bothered again. I headed north to England. Poor, poor England. Easy pickings. Now the Navy of the East was overbuilt and Spain was easy. I did need to build a horseman in a captured Spanish city to take their capitol. I play with them for a while and ended up with 6 cities.

Meanwhile, the Navy of the West was a bit slower to build up. I vastly overbuilt again. I had no idea that the AIs would be so weak. Egypt and Norway did declare a fake war which ended 10 turns (or whatever) after it was declared. I took one Egyptian city that was settled on my western shore. I knew where Norway's capitol was. I had good guesses about India and Egypt, but let them be last. Norway fell easily to the Navy. I took all their cities sent Dear Leader to Valhalla. After that, Egypt and India fell without incident.

I settled about 12. Captured about 15.
    Venetian Arsenal, submarines and ironclads.
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Marginally. But, when policies, wonders and great people kicked in, all trade routes were internal. When I first sailed towards Russia, a couple of them were harassing me. Partly because of that I overbuilt the Navies.
    I built a city on the isthmus, so the Navies could sail back and forth. I never did a proper exploration of the world.
    I got a bonus somehow so naval units could heal at sea. That was nice.

Yes. First real domination win.
    Peace, Love and Mars.

My save won't upload. Is there a trick?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  16. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Please use the "Upload a File" button in the lower right corner.

17. Markus5

Markus5 Code Monkey

Exactly. I get an error popup. I'll try again at home tonight. I'll capture the error.
    It failed for both the save and a final screenshot. From here at work, I could upload a 1.6 mb jpg. Didn't try anything else.

18. Markus5

Markus5 Code Monkey

No joy uploading.

The following error occurred
    There was a problem uploading your file.

MONTEZUMA 258 1735 AD.Civ6Save

19. Markus5

Markus5 Code Monkey

Different browser. Firefox fails. Microsoft Edge works. Firefox at work, works. I wonder what I've got set differently. I looked at settings and nothing jumped out.
    Work PC is Win8 Pro. Home PC is Win10 'free'.
    Curious.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  20. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Turn 175, 1140 AD Domination Victory, Score of 549

Settled about 10 cities or so in the first 100 turns then conquered the rest (20ish)

I went for masonry into apprenticeship asap so I could build the pyramids wonder the boost my workers.
    I also constructed the Colosseum asap for the culture and amenity boosts.
    Early on I focused on settler/builder spam policies and then policies to increase gold income/luxuries.
    Once I settled 7-8 cities on the nearby land I built up an army and invaded India. From thereon was at permanent war.

no

Just monuments, Colosseum, and the +1 culture per district policy.

not really

I was surprised there were no nearby civilizations so early on I focused on domestic expansion/economy instead of building military units.

First time play Aztecs and also by FAR my fasted victory time, I really liked this game.

Constant wars, the ai declared war on me often and failed spectacularly to to even kill a single unit of mine, let alone capture any cities. After 10 turns they would always give me their gold/luxuries,etc for peace.

I was really surprised how good caravels, frigates and privateers were. I really did not build much of a navy until turn 125 or so but once I did I was amazed how fast and easily it was conquer enemy capitals.

Having pyramids I think really helped bolster my advancement as I was able to queue a 1-turn builder in every city while building the pyramids giving 4 builds each once completed and shortly after another 1-turn builder for 6 builds while I was researching Feudalism. Expect for a few turns (and 30% production policy pre-Serfdom) while I finished production on builders most the game (post-serfdom) I did not need to use any builder policies. Getting a few districts in each of my cities was really fast due to the builders being able to speed district production.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017