6otM 08 After Actions Report

Hi,
First time Civ6 GOTM, and not played many games at all in fact. Because of that, I took a lot longer to win than I should have really, still getting a feel for the game.

Turn 313, Score 1079

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled about 12 on the original land, then captured many.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Whatever was boosted, pretty much. Aimed for better governments and military in general though.

- Did you bother with religion?
Not at all after being beaten to the prophets.

- Did you bother with Culture?
Only the cultural buildings I could buy, mainly monuments. Extremely cash-rich in this game.

- Were City-States helpful?
For the envoy bonuses, definitely in the early game.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Surprised how I ran away with it in technology. The Aztec worker/district build really put me miles ahead.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes!

- Spread the word thru peace and love, or conversion by the sword?
Nothing but swords....

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 313 1884 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 152
Worked my way through using Whacker's strategy and city locations. It works like a charm, took London as the last capital on turn 116. I was inefficient in a couple areas, had to delay Frigates for two turns to get my last Quad built. Also Vilnus was being stingy with the builders, so I didn't finish with it until turn 55. When I got shipbuilding my units were over by Preslav and it took 6 or 7 turns to get them into the sea heading toward Dehli.

Quite an impressive strategy. Of course I was helped by knowing where all the other civs were.

Domination victory turn 186 (Ethelred the Unready!). I didn’t start any wars with major AI civs until turn 135, when I was able to upgrade my first 3 quadriremes to frigates and headed East to invade Spain. This conquest provided the funds for more upgrading and a second trio of frigates headed West to attack India. These two groups of ships, each with a knight and caravel in support, proved to be more than sufficient for global conquest. I rather messed up the finish when I managed to block the narrow sea channel en route from Russia to Egypt by making peace with India, who then refused Open Borders at any price:- this cost me at least 6-7 turns, very frustrating! I managed to get +15 combat bonus from luxuries but never found mercury or wine on the map. No wonders built, no IZ until the last few turns.

The Aztecs seem to be very strong for a domination game, the luxury bonus really kicks in as you capture rich territory from the AI. This wasn’t perhaps the best map for Eagle Warriors capture ability, but I can see the advantages of it. I didn’t use the district-build ability, nor did I build any of the UB.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 186 1250 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
Domination Victory. Turn: 233 - 1610 AD - Score: 696.

Attachments

• Falabello 6otM08 - Montezuma Emp.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
Domination Victory, turn 270 (1795 AD) - Score 660 (Nero). Would be faster if I were more systematic in exploring the map to find where everybody is early on. Pretty easy after building the Venetian Arsenal.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 270 1795 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
Won turn 207.

Built 6 cities or so, then went conquering. My path to victory:

138 Delhi
158 Ra-Kedet
176 Madrid
193 London
200 St Pete
207 Moscow

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 207 1460 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

Domination Victory Turn 314
591 points

Settled 5 cities, captured 6 and settled 2 by turn 100
Prioritized the basics then rushed musket men and frigate research.
- Did You get the first religion?
No. Did not go for a religion.
- How much warring did you do?
I tried to remain peaceful for the first 100 turns so i could build up my city's and a army. Then went after the civ. I thought was the weakest at the end of turn 100.
Yes. The extra production towards units helped a lot.
No
Yes. Was a lot of fun.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 314 1886 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
T147, Score 406

Settled 4 core cities, mosly to get lux. Captured 9 cities.

After I found India I researched Knights to take them out and then to Frigates since there was mostly sea

Not. Found a relic and that netted me an early pantheon for extra production on early military units

Not really

Found Vilnius very early and that helped culture ... for a few turns until I found out that I needed workers. Must have gotten 6-7 before I took her out for all the neighbouring lux.

Surprised not to have an civs on the continent ... built an army a lot later than I normally would. But once I got an army of knights they sort of swept through India, Russia and Egypt without any issue. Got two Great Generals and in addition to the 12 lux bonus towards the end they were quite effective.
Well once the frigates were online they swiftly took care of remaining business.

Very much so :)

Sword!

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 147 720 AD.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
T386, Score 1038 (Ivan the Terrible!)

Settled 8 core cities, Captured about 20 cities

Tried to outrun any other nation on Science first which worked well then switched to Military, especially Navy

Not at all.

Just built one Threatre Complex

Yes, they did help with Sciene and Production

Realized too late that a strong Navy is the key to win this game, that's why it took me so long

Absolutely

First sugar, then the whip!

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 386 1965 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
There. Finally finished my first game of civ 6. A 221 turn domination victory. It was educational, I think I learned a lot about the new game mechanics. And about how appallingly weak the enemy AI is.
In hindsight, I should not have bothered building so many land units. Small frigate fleets were enough to take out all enemy capitals. I also should have paid more attention to plotting optimal routes on the map for the fleets.

I liked the map, being more surprising than the regular two blobs of continents. I did get the feeling that the Aztecs had a highly privileged starting position when compared to the other civs.

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 221 1550 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Domination victory turn 138 - 540AD - Score 341

I trained 1 settler and settled 3 or 4 cities from stolen settlers and captured 17. Since this was island plates and I saw the cliffs to the west of the settler start location I figured I'd rush there, and use the abundant hills there to push out as many galleys as I could manage and hope that others were settling the coast as well. Turns out the AI is really bad at naval combat and I was able to just slice through every empire without resistance, felt like I was playing on settler difficulty.

Sailing -> Mining -> Ship Building -> Celestial Navigation -> Writing -> Square Rigging
I got sailing to get the fishing boats up, then mining for a few mines. Ship building let me move a few eagle warriors over to Gandhi to take his cap since he was the ONLY civ that settler off the coast for his capital.

No

Yes, the Maritime Industries, Raid, Sack, and Naval Infrastructure cards were invaluable. Professional army was a few turns too late for me to use it when upgrading my quadriremes to frigates but if I timed things a bit better that one would have been great too. I didn't feel too bad with all the gold I was making from harbor pillages though.

I was able to farm builders off of Vilnius for a while. Nan Madol had me the top culture earner in the game, their bonus pairs extremely nicely with the amount of harbors I was building.

I was surprised I won so quickly. The AI played exceptionally poorly. Ghandi lost a settler to the barbs, I took his two cities that he settled on the coast, and he build not defense to stop me from just taking his cap with just 2 eagle warriors. I found Harald's little cluster of cities on the northwestern straight and immediately sent my whole fleet, I was on the cusp of Cartography at this point and caravels. I figured if I could just take one of the 3 cities and hold it, it would give me a few hexes to upgrade from. Once I had 3 caravels his 3 coastal cities fell in a few turns. I saw Vicky trying to sneak a settler out to settle some small island and surprised declared war to snag it. Turns out she never managed to settle a second city... I just had to wait for my caravel to descend upon London and after a few rotations she was gone. My land army of eagle warriors, that took out Gandhi, moved west on to Ra-Kedet, which fell easily with 4 eagle warriors, a caravel, and a battering ram. By now I had 4 frigates so I just showed up outside of Spain and Russia's capitals and they both fell within a few turns of each other for the win.

It was one of my favorite play throughs so far, I just wish this map had been for that Harald 6otm, that one was frustrating to play.

No religion, just war, and nearly all naval.

Spoiler :
6otm 08 001.png
6otm 08 002.png
6otm 08 003.png
6otm 08 004.png
6otm 08 005.png

Attachments

• 6otm 08.Civ6Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Top Bottom