1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 11 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mtt9999

mtt9999 Builder of Dreams

After an OK attempt at 6otM 17, in which I "thought" I started well with 6 cities by turn 100, I decided to try a step down in difficulty with the same victory condition. I am now at turn 103 of 6otM11, and I think I have had a fantastic start. As such, I thought I would share my attempt in spite of it being a few months past due, for my future reference and future readers looking for advice.

Civ6Screen0014.jpg

- Where did you settle your city?
    This is a big one, as I took a different approach than most people and I believe it paid off. I moved 1 tile West and settled on Cattle. I created a calculator that lets you input tile yields to figure out the most optimum starting location. Based on my calculations, this would net me 7 more production and 16 more food than settling in place by turn 15, and a total of 11 more production and 30 more surplus food by turn 30. As such, I did not settle in place. [NOTE - I will start a forum thread once I have polished the calculator for anyone to try].

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Fairly straightforward approach. I pair my builds/policies/techs together for early eureka/inspiration. This is especially helpful with China's boost!

Tech Order

Animal Husbandry
    Mining
    Achery
    Wheel [Mine a Resource]
    Pottery
    Writing

Civic Order
    Code of Laws
    Craftsmanship
    Foreign Trade
    Early Empire
    Political Philosophy

- What was your build order?
    My typical build order for higher difficulties:
    Slinger
    Builder
    Slinger
    Slinger
    Settler
    [not sure if I snuck a monument in there - I don't think so because I got culture from God of Open Sky [culture from pastures]

- Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
    Unlike 6otm17, I did start early wars. I was first to find Kandy, which helped me establish my pantheon God of Open Sky. As soon as this was finished, I immediacy DoW and took it in 3 turns. Stupid Cleapatra denounced me, and got mad for settling Handan too close to her cities. As there were a few other prime locations near her, see Xingzhou & YiYang on my screenshot, I decided to DoW on her and take her nearest city to eliminate that 'settling too close promise'. I took Shedan [later renamed She' Zhao in the proud Chinese tradition. Her chariots were starting to get tough, and I never had intentions on moving on to her capital, so I made peace and began spamming settlers, fast.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    I don't remember the turn. Probably around 50 I built campuses in Xi'an and Changsha. I was trying to get them out fast so that I could rush Great Library - which made perfect sense for china - extra boost for eureka and can rush with builders. I later realized that I cannot build Great Libary in Changsha because the 'flat' land had a resource on it I guess??? While I thought about harvesting the resource, I decided against it as this is a 6otM and I didn't want to replay turns. It was a blessing as I made the much better decision to build the Colosseum in Xi'an. As such, my next district was an entertainment in the capital. WOW OMG, the Colosseum provides it bonus to the capital and 6 OTHER CITIES because of my city locations... that is huge and will surely get me soon in the lead for civics. Not to mention I will not have any problem with amenities in spite of my city spamming. As the builder rush is sweet, I decided to built the pyramids in Shaghai, which I am done in 2 turns. If I can't see much reason to build Great Libary with China, I see no reason to build it with any civ. How the mighty has fallen, I think Firaxis nerfed it too much...

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Yeh, I have 10 cities and a settler on his way for #11 [city 4 tag on map]. I captured two of these and settled others.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Went for classical republic - I love the economic cards during early expansion [in fact at one point I was running 3 economic cards including the wildcard slot].

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    I met 4, and an alliance with Rome get me 2 more. I try to cultivate all of them - except the military ones.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yeh nobody has DoW on me because of my fast military priority. I DoW on Cleo.

- How were the Barbarians?
    Pesky but manageable.

- Any surprises?
    Can't build wonder on a resource???

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    My next steps, now that my expansion is pretty much done, are to start building the great wall - which I am so excited to connect the mountains to the east and west with a xenophobic Chinese Empire - finish pyramids, spawn my first Great Scientist to finish Education and build Universities everywhere. Then on the Ruhr Valley and Oxford, and then Mars. This map is perfect for China - thanks 6otM team!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017