6otM 60AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 60 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Religion?
- Did you Bother with Culture?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
- How many Capitols did you leave glowing from fall out?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Around 16 or so homegrown cities by turn 303.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Wanted to get to GDR’s ASAP so as to avoid the late game warring clickfest vs. civs that have researched the steel tech.
- Did you bother with Religion? No.
- Did you Bother with Culture? Kumasi.
- Were City-States helpful? Yes.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Around T315 or so I realized I only had 15 turns to complete.
- Did you enjoy the game? Fun game.
- How many Capitols did you leave glowing from fall out? None. Used uranium for GDR’s.
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

I suppose I should have gone with the theme of the game and used artillery and nukes to start the conquests earlier. I wanted to use GDR’s and ended up timing out. Actually the computer I’m using due to a primary PC failure crashes out at the end of T229. I’m imagining that’s my computer’s fault and not the April Fool’s joke.

One thing is certain though: Once GDR’s come online, they’re quite effective. Look @ the difference 26 turns can make (check the minimap).
Spoiler T303, GDR faith cost :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 4_1_2019 4_39_03 PM.png

Spoiler T303, GDR gold cost :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 4_1_2019 4_39_36 PM.png

Spoiler T229, GDR dividends :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 4_2_2019 8_18_39 AM.png

I think I could have done it if I had not mindlessly chopped and mined. I chose Earth Goddess, built the Eiffel Tower to increase appeal, then chopped and mined everything. I should have chopped, replanted, then created lumber mills on the hills for more Earth Goddess appeal/faith. Edit: Come to think of it, this game was probably a win with Harvest pantheon.

Attachments

• GANDHI 329 2048 AD.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Too slow. Only got Nidaros, Madrid and Washington by the end of time, Turn 330. First time my game has lasted long enough to get coastal flooding, which was rough on Nidaros and devastating to New York.

GDRs can't get through Walls? What the heck? I light up a 66 Strength Encampment and barely scratch the thing.

Started with Fascism to nail down the government card for the rest of the game (+ combat strength, reduced war weariness), and the world went with Democracy.

Domination T304 / 1791p

- Settled 4 in the beginning and 4 more a bit later. Captured a lot but focused on the capitals.

- Started with Facism for building military fast. I dont know, if that +50% works towards settlers and builders, so I had +50% toward settlers card also to get few cities up fast.

- I took goddess of harvest. Initially used faith with Valletta to buy Encampment buildings and city center buildings. After I got some army, I was too lazy to continue chopping.

- I did not focus on culture at all.

Valletta helped in early game to get encampment buildings up.

- No surprises this time.

- It was fun to roll quite fast. But it was too easy.

- Not a single nuke used.

I started with tanks and artillery. Then tried Jet Bombers, which were really good so started buying those. I think Spy's could have been to provide vision for capitals so I could target them further away. Often there were many cities that had to be cleared before I could get to capital.

Early game I was worried about money so built commercial districts. I also wanted general so built encampments. In hindsight, I should have built campuses more early to get to Jet Bombers faster.

Attachments

• g60_dom_t304_1791p.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 194
At first I was thinking this was a April fools joke. Was kind of excited to play GOTM on the new patch. I'm trying this one out. It's good to get experience with modern units, but I've never enjoyed the non-ancient starts.

Too slow. Only got Nidaros, Madrid and Washington by the end of time, Turn 330. First time my game has lasted long enough to get coastal flooding, which was rough on Nidaros and devastating to New York.

GDRs can't get through Walls? What the heck? I light up a 66 Strength Encampment and barely scratch the thing.

Started with Fascism to nail down the government card for the rest of the game (+ combat strength, reduced war weariness), and the world went with Democracy.
I ran into the same problem. Created 3 GDR's intending to blitz through Scythia's empire, but fizzled out @ the 1st stop (the capital). In fact until I unlocked the particle cannon upgrade jet bombers did all the heavy lifting. IMO GDR's without the particle upgrade are duds. I found a high science critical to unlock 1st GDR, then particle cannon in a timely manner.

Then there's the JoZilla way. I had just finished with my 16 or so cities and was about to declare my 1st war 1 turn after he had already won via the old fashioned way (with tanks and artillery with the move+attack promotion).

Turn 330-331 Score Victory Score 1113
So you only gave us 87 turns for a domination victory on a huge map. Nice April Fools joke. So how about we get the real one now?

Attachments

• 6otM60 Score Victory.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 189
I ran into the same problem. Created 3 GDR's intending to blitz through Scythia's empire, but fizzled out @ the 1st stop (the capital). In fact until I unlocked the particle cannon upgrade jet bombers did all the heavy lifting. IMO GDR's without the particle upgrade are duds. I found a high science critical to unlock 1st GDR, then particle cannon in a timely manner.

Then there's the JoZilla way. I had just finished with my 16 or so cities and was about to declare my 1st war 1 turn after he had already won via the old fashioned way (with tanks and artillery with the move+attack promotion).

I took stone nothing with GDRs, although they got Mansa Musa's attention. I was using Tanks and Artillery, and actually goofed up my build queues by accidentally teching to Modern Armor and Rocket Artillery while a lot of units were still coming off the factory line.

I tried really hard to get in an early war with Machine Guns, Field Cannons and Rangers but I got 3 of my early units bushwacked by Barbs. On King!

I took stone nothing with GDRs, although they got Mansa Musa's attention. I was using Tanks and Artillery, and actually goofed up my build queues by accidentally teching to Modern Armor and Rocket Artillery while a lot of units were still coming off the factory line.

I tried really hard to get in an early war with Machine Guns, Field Cannons and Rangers but I got 3 of my early units bushwacked by Barbs. On King!
I think 2 of my rangers got bushwacked as well. I finally merged 3 anti-tank units into an army and dispatched the camps :ar15:.

DomV T299 (56 turns played)

Interesting game.
Never played an Atomic era start before. I can't remember the last time I played late game warfare (if ever?).
Major mistake: I made a bunch of Triplanes/Fighters which apparently get -17CS vs cities. Bombers are the unit I wanted..
Didn't get the chance to use GDRs, but Jet Bombers seem better anyway.
AIs didn't build any anti-aircraft, so all air units remained unscathed.
I am not sure if it is intended to be that way, but late cities claim a lot of tiles (up to the 4th ring).

Attachments

• GANDHI 299 2018 AD.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Civ6Screen0013.jpg
    Civ6Screen0013.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 204
Victory T324

This is my first (well first victory submission anyway ;) ) submission for the gotm! I really enjoyed this game! It was nice to do something different for a change!

Settled 16 Captured a ton. All of Norway, Mali, America, One from Spain, All continent ones from Scythia, 4 from Dido and Hungary and Mongolia
Went for Computers to get flood barriers up asap, then advanced flight and nukes. The plan was going to be conquest through tanks/bombers/nukes
Earth Goddess + Eiffel tower, chopped and planted forests to raise faith output, no religion just faith.
Yes for City States and built a few theater squares to push the civics tree along
Yes, Cardiff proved to be very lucrative for trade routes later, however it was hard to suz them without Amani.
Loyalty, I really despise this mechanic it slows down everything, I had to use governors and the loyalty card+ units to keep it in check. My cities kept flipping, wasn't 100% sure If I could get the victory because of it but it worked out in the end.
Absolutely! I always love a bit of air superiority! (and nukes) This is my first time doing a start in the atomic era! I usually always play from ancient so it was nice to try something different!
- How many Capitols did you leave glowing from fall out? I built 3 GDR's for fun and to speed up the victory.
Kupe, Hungary, Mongolia, Inca.

Attachments

• GANDHI 324 2043 AD VICTORY! .Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 98
  • 20190404185111_1.jpg
    20190404185111_1.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190404185125_1.jpg
    20190404185125_1.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
T278, Domination Victory

- What was your strategy? early base of 3 cities developed; expand; find and destroy all

- Where did your cities go & what was your build order?
See map in thumbnails for location of first 3 cities & then first 7 cities; ended with 47 cities
Bought 3 quick builders in first two cities for chopping, then focused on early districts & factories & power plants, then on quick expansion to 7 cities and builders; then military & all military related buildings in Government Plaza

- Districts? 1st 3 cities: Campus, Commerce District, Industrial Complex; Government Plaza in Capital; Aerodromes as soon as I hit sizes 10 (2d/3d city) and 13 (capital); near expansion cities industrial complexes & factories; Aerodromes forward if still room for a district in captured cities
- Wonders? None
-Military? Tanks (mostly via faith or in cities without Aerodromes), Bombers (via production and later gold), Carriers (via production and later gold)
- Most useful unit? No one unit stood out – combo of bombers/carriers/tanks; most numerous was 25 bombers by the end

- What did you prioritize for research and policies & governance cards?
Science: T253- Adv Flight, T258- Combined Arms, didn’t track or care after that
Culture: Didn’t focus at all; no theater districts; T265- Cold War
Governance: T243-Communism: Logistics, Levee, Res Mngt; Dip Lea; Five Year, Rationalism, Public Works; T254 – Fascism (via Warlords Throne completion): drop Collectivization, add Lightning Warfare; T265 – drop Public Works, add Communism Legacy

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
Capital – Pingala x3 (mainly for science, but also took culture bonus)
2d City – Magnus to Vertical Integration (factories everywhere for big production in this city)
3d City – Reyna x3 (gold)
Then added the other 3 governors for Communism Legacy & loyalty in captured cities when needed

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Did religion play a role in your game?
T243 - Goddess of the Harvest; of course, took full advantage of India/Gandhi special faith characteristics
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
None, didn’t reach the next age

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
Met: T246- both America and Netherlands, last on T268- Maori
Unfriendly: Everyone was a Democracy, I started Communism and later Fascism, so all hostile in 1-2 turns
Wars: T257- started war against America, …, T277- started war against Inca; eliminated America, Norway, Spain, Scythia, Mali, Phoenicians
Didn’t use any nukes, so none glowing, bombers left them in ruins

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Helpful?
AI gave them TONS of envoys, so almost always joined wars against me. In the end I had a few on my side. Generally tried to get up to 3 envoys for science/commerce CSs as well as all early ones met.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
Used Collectivization for the +4 food and +2 production to help early cities get more districts quickly; almost all internal trading.

- Was diplomacy useful? How? Had to make trades on the first turn I met AI as within 1-2 turns they denounced me.

- How were the Barbarians?
Not an issue.

1) Need to better understand rebasing of bombers – noticed carriers can easily be out of range which caused some slowdown, but when cities all in connected territory I could go across the entire landmass, but not between landmasses
2) Not surprised, but annoying spies kept hitting my industrial complexes; I didn’t build any spies and was able to quick recovery pillages buildings

Yes. First time I’ve done a domination victory with atomic era units – bombers are insanely awesome.
6OTM 60 T248.jpg 6OTM 60 T259.jpg

Attachments

• GANDHI 278 1997 AD win.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 157
T324
- How many cities did you settle or capture?10 settled 40+ captured. Got Washington settler cornered right away and spawn my city right on his border
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?bombers ,forgot to beeline the carrier that could of give me a faster victory
- Did you bother with Religion?NA got the earth goddess
- Did you Bother with Culture?nope
- Were City-States helpful? only Valetta and later the one with safe naval trade routes
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? very easy game no one could counter my jet bomber
- Did you enjoy the game?yes bur was at urn short of using a death robot on the last cap :)
- How many Capitols did you leave glowing from fall out?Gengis cap in the last 10 turn

.Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 12.12.50 AM.png

Attachments

• AutoSave_0324.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 214
Score Victory t330, 7 capitols captured, score 1240
Too much settling early, too many buildings in all my districts... until only 30 turns left I hadn not barely begun off my starting continent. I over-estimated the ai ability to defend... and underestimated my ability to get enough loyalty to keep the capitols, so I ended up taking a lot of cities I didnt need too, which wasted many turns. Still, I was only about 3 turns from domination. GDR sucks without the particle beam that does 100% damage to cities.

So... on a second run-thru, I was able to do domination victory t322 score 1931. Still lame compared to the better players. But at least I learned some things.

In neither game did nukes make any sense... just take too long to get one made and by then its all over but the crying.:cry:

Attachments

• GANDHI 331 2050 AD 7caps 1240sc.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 100
T284

First 5 turns waiting Magnus to arrive capital. In the mean time building disctricts + ancestar hall. Then spamming settlers and forward settling AIs.

Finally at turn 265 switched to warmonger path: Changed goverment from communism to facism.
Chopped bombers and faith purchased tanks. Also chopped some naval stuff.

Nidaros, Qaraqorum and Buda.

Spoiler :

Building nukes was just waste of resources, but hey it was fun to bomb AIs to stone age.

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• GANDHI 284 2003 AD DV.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
T317 Domination Victory @1965 Score.

Started to play a normal game until the point I realized, the game is ending soon and I haven't even started my first war. At that point I thought there was no way
I was gonna make it in time on a huge map, but it actually did work out in time. For the first time ever in any civ game I was able to utilize aircraft carriers well :eek:

Bought one GDR late game in a proxy city settled right next to Buda. He couldn't scratch it's wall, even with the so called "100% effectiveness against cities particle beam siege cannon upgrade". Underwhelming.
On home continent (Rocket) Artillery did the job alongside Tank armies and later Helicopters (since I was running low on oil) and to get things done globally Bombers were the weapon of choice.

I did built some nuclear submarines too, but they barely reached the other large continent in time with their slow movement speed. At least they helped to take two Dutch cities.

Seeing where Qusqu was located and how little time I had to win the map I thought maybe I should nuke that. Unfortunately I was 1 turn short of building a nuclear device before the game ended.
Takes so long to build these, leaves you a rubish city if you use it and a bomber takes down a city in just two shots, so why bother with nukes? Qusqu for some reason I don't understand took 4 bomber shots however :crazyeye:

Attachments

• GANDHI 317 2036 AD WIN.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 147
  • happyempire.jpg
    happyempire.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 154
  • army.jpg
    army.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 133
When I first tried using a GDR against a city I too saw hardly any damage on the walls. Then I realized the GDR is both ranged and melee and I had used melee against that city's walls. When I used the ranged attack against the walls (R is the default key) with the particle beam upgrade it took them out complete and took the city's health almost all the way down. The next turn I was able to capture that city with the GDR's melee attack.

Domination Victory, Turn 330 (Just in Time)

Non Captured Settlers: 6
post T300 captured settlers filler Cities: 3
Final Number of Cities: 56, but I may have botched the count -- that would make 47 captured.

Initial Prioritization on the techs that exposed resources (Uranium) and harvesting of Resources (Plastics for Oil Wells).

No to each, I did build a token Theater District, later used for an Archeological Museum in order to uproot artifacts in inconvenient locations.

Teddy and I went back and forth over Valetta early, eventually we spent all our envoys, I would snatch for a turn to spend all the early game faith on buying encampment buildings. After that expenditure I was pretty much done with CS envoys.... Long story short, not terribly helpful, but the early faith-bought Encampment buildings saved me some turns in my original 3 cities.

Maybe less surprise and more my mistake in not knowing AI tendencies, but my early choice of Fascism for the military policy slots was an economic disaster that ruined relations with all other Civs even prior to my initiation of hostilities. I am not sure if I really needed all the extra military policy slots for the first 20 turns, and if it would have been more efficient to have better relations and trade deals early before .

Everyone I encountered was Democracy and Denounced me within about 1 or 2 turns of contact. The lone exception was Scythia who was also Fascism, but by the time I encountered her I was well into warring and so she was aware of all the grievances I had against the other civs. So everyone hated me. So the work around was to initiate any luxury trades I could on first turn of meeting new Civs, but mainly I had to keep a focus on building out Commercial Hubs to T3 buildings in nearly every City (and harbors if worthwhile for gold).

Yes. As belabored below, I rarely go for a domination win - I usually only counter-attack for my wars, and even then I tend to peace as soon as able usually with only a couple city captures at most.

None, no nukes.

-------------------------------------

First official GOTM attempt here . As a brief intro to myself.: long time lurker of the boards, have played every (mainline) Civ, the first came out when I was in high school, and I put many an all nighter with friends in college with 2 and 3, memory seem to blend together for those 2 versions. Lots of hours on 4 and 5 in which i would be vaguely interested in following strategies online, and when I started lurking here and Apolyton. And now 6 is hitting me at a time in my life where I seem to be sticking one game for a much longer period. I had rarely played at difficulty levels above Prince before, now I am keeping with Civ long enough to up the difficulty, I have won on Deity, but I wouldn't say I'm playing at that level consistently.

Just prior to this attempt I did (too late for an official play) GOTM 58, where, after what I thought was a good start but ultimately turned out to be a sloppy, inefficient late game - ended with SV around, but likely after T330. After reading other After Action reports my main take away is that I am too hesitant to go to war in order to capture cities from my neighbors. So I decided to give this GOTM an official run to break me of my passive builder / defensive tendencies. Also, I am typing all of this out ahead of time prior to posting, hence the length. (But I didn't start taking notes right away, so not too detailed.)

Early priority was Commercial Hub / Encampments and Aerodromes.
I only put down a few high Adjacency bonus Campus Districts.
Commercial Hubs to fix early Financial Deficit and support a large Army.
Aerodromes to get Bombers online ASAP. Encampments to hold resources and - well - I was going to be going to war....

By turn 300ish I realized I should have been not just putting out the basic Aerodromes, but to continue building airports for Rapid Deployment as it was becoming clear the bottleneck was going to be the time needed to get my troops to the next target.

I declared war too-early on Teddy - easily within 10 turns of start - with only a couple of the original troops, which was enough to pillage a tile and stall on his border until he offered a peace deal for decent Gold Per Turn which helped get my overall economy closer to being out of the negative - at one point I did have a couple of my recon units disbanded due to bankruptcy - and allowed me time to build an bomber force to focus on Harald. Once I had aa couple bombers, Harald fell quickly - bombers taking out defenses faster than I could get ground troops to his cities to officially take them - and it was at this point that I realized that mobility of units to take the cities would need to be my focus. Without yet solving that, I was able to capture all of Teddy's cities. I should have made a note of what turn this was for this report, but I did not. At this point, considering the turns left in the game, my priority was to simply find and capture capitals. Teddy had built a few Spaceports, so I wanted to use one to quickly get up a Earth Satellite to do my Exploration for me. That was completed in turn 311.

At this point (turn 311) I had eliminated Teddy and Harald. I had taken the capitals of Spain (and a couple other cities) and Scythia. I was at war with Mansa, and the satellites revealed the exact location of his capital as I was already engaged on his eastern front. I would have liked to get an engineer to put a tunnel into the mountain range separating Teddy's former cities from Mansa's, but the turns it would take to get there (about 8) was probably too long to be worthwhile.

19 turns for the remaining capitals, and now to plan the logistics of deploying force exactly where I needed it to be. This may be too late, but I need to fight my usual tendency of rushing the end-game and getting inefficient. I suppose turning this into a 20 turn game may help in that.

I found myself playing differently that I ever had before:
- I was actually using Strategic view for extended periods of time
- I built more aircraft carriers in this game of Civ 6 than all previous ones combined.
- Probably the largest air force I ever built: I ended with 26 bombers and 6 fighters. While some Civs had a fighter defense, ultimately the fighters kept getting re-based further from the front and weren't absolutely needed.

By turn 328 I was still missing the capitals of Inca, Genghis and Hungary. I was nearly certain that I would not even be able to get ground troops to Hungary's shore in time, and I was worried nearly as much about reaching the Incan capital, but ultimately everything was in place by turn 329, my bomber and carrier fleet had left the capitals defenseless well ahead of time, as were just waiting for ground troops to arrive to capture on T330.

In hindsight some turns could have been shaved by getting an earlier start on establishing a presence on the other continent and the Netherlands' island/continent.

Anyways to summarize, had a lot of fun, learned a few new tricks, and maybe will mix in some later start Civ games into my usual play mix. And the next GOTM, time willing.

Thanks,

Attachments

• GANDHI Domination 6OTM60 - mentos.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 112
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom