6otM 90 opening actions

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM90 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your cities?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you bother with Culture?? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

Where did you settle your cities? I settled in place for my capitol, 2nd city was to the west near the volcano, 3rd to the east on the river by the sugar, 4th south of the 2nd
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? AH,pottery,mining archery then things with eurekas focusing on military.
- What was your build order? Scout,slinger,warriorx3,settler
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Holy site as soonas I had astrology
- How did you place your districts? Near the mountains for the bonuses.
- Did you bother with Culture?? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?I'm keeping pace with culture.Settled four captured three one of the four was with a captured settler that was undefended.
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?God king until pantheon then settler or production card., barb card until I started fighting people then agoge.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? I have two of the military ones,have met a third military one along with a religious,trade,scientific,and two cultural.
- Were your neighbors peaceful? No the eastern neighbor declared on me right after I pieced out the western neighbor after the settler snipe.
- Any surprises? Not really.

Turn 101: Currently at 11 cities. Built only one settler, stole 2 (1 still looking for a settling place). 4 cities took from the Indians, 3 from Mongolia and so far 1 from Poland.

Started by taking a risky settler steal near an Indian city (not India India) even when my scout was surrounded by 1 warrior and 1 scout. It was successful and quite quickly I was able to take out the whole civ. At that point my Varu army was already at war with Mongolia. I could use the special Casus belli to benefit both wars. However, Dowing Poland with this was not possible. Polish war should be quite easy, but Mongolian capital got walls up a few turns before (damn, forgot to denounce them in time) I could approach it. So I'm building now about 6 catapults, hopefully they will be enough. AIs are having crossbows now, luckily not Knights yet.

Prioritized encampments and later CH. Wanted to get the first GG, but got the 2nd just 2 turns after the 1st. Later got a 2nd one and soon should be able to get a GG that transforms to a very early Bombard, which is nice. It was also nice to get 2 campuses from captured cities and one encampment in place of the usual HS the AI keeps spamming.

Tech-wise no real focus, just HBR quite early. Civics also the usual, working towards Exploration. I have envoys in 5 CS, but am not a suzerain yet.

Not sure yet, but probably have to attack Scotland and America next.

Interesting game, but probably I will hit a wall at some point and struggle to finish pre turn 300 or something, let's see. Should probably already have a 3rd army attacking someone at this point. 2 civs that I haven't met yet.

Start of the Medieval, Turn 96. Moved my Warrior and then moved my Settler to get closer to that sweet double Cocoa. Second city went north near the Horses and third city went South Southwest and planted on the riverside Cocoa to be able to sell it and buy a Horseman.

I stole a Settler and two cities from Mapuche, conquered Fez and took a staging city from Poland. Canada gave me all their lump gold and GPT for a Joint War with England, but I haven't sent any troops there yet. Scotland has Canberra, so an eventual war with them will be a two-fer.

I hate Mapuche so much, because that bonus vs. Golden Age is really tough to overcome. I wanted them incapacitated early because otherwise they would have just attacked me when my back was turned. When they declared on my suzerainity Granada I had my excuse.

I have two armies and am building one in Fez to go say hello to Scotland. I'm in a Golden Medieval and Indonesia and Poland are Dark so they are the likely next targets. If I can get 4 caps this era I will feel like I'm doing well. Still 2 civs to meet.

Spoiler :
upload_2020-7-3_16-15-52.png

Settled first city in place, second city on the geothermal vent to the east, and my third city to the North, near horses. No more settled cities after that.

Horseback riding -> Mining -> Writing -> Bronze working -> Filler techs -> Engineering (to deal with the walls that were popping up) -> Castles for research.

Early empire (didn’t have the boosts for the top half and was in a position to get them) -> Military training -> Political philosophy - Mercenaries -> Merchant republic for civics.

Build order was scout - slinger (For eureka) - settler - archer - archer - settler - encampment I believe.

Pre-Placed campus in second city (the one near geothermal vent) instantly, then built a monument in the second city and finished the campus.

Tried pumping culture as high as possible in the early game, trying to get to military training as quick as possible. In my medieval golden age, I picked Pen Brush and Voice for the extra culture, as I had a bunch of cities to use it on.

I have 14 cities as of T100, including the Canadian and Mapuche capital. Indonesian capital is at a sliver of health and I will take it next turn. I built 3 main armies, one which attacked Mapuche - Indonesia, and is supposed to keep going to the east and kill whatever is past the Mongolian barrier, and one which attacked Canada, and is planned to attack Scotland - Australia - Poland. The third army is made up of stragglers and new recruits, and will attack Mongolia shortly.

Neighbors are sparring with each other and gobbling nearby city states. No big annexation or anything yet, except by me.

I built a few archers early on, and I thought that I might be able to take down a Mapuche city or two with them. Boy was I wrong. I lost half that early force to archers, warriors, and a spearman. This probably lose me a few turns from the investment I put in the archers. In hindsight, Puel Mapu is really easy to defend, any defending archers in or near the city have full line of sight to attackers. Additionally, to get into range of the city you have to travel through rainforest, so the always get the first shot.
Another surprise was Poland. I met them randomly, with no unit on either side meeting eachother. I didn’t know where they were, and I figured I would find them eventually. I ended up figuring out where they were when I saw the last Mapuche city (I had kept it alive to declare war against) besieged, and a Polish general in vision. I will kill Poland with my southern army.

Settled in place. 2nd city settled NE near luxes and toward Mapuche--found him early and picked him as an early target, but events happened otherwise.

Mongols wardecced me early, and settling 3rd city west was already under pressure from them. This war defined much of the game so far; although they sued for peace after being beaten back, I kept it going until taking their three main cities, including cap. Got Gitarja to join the war with me--they wanted 1 gold! lol (Screenshot is from T121, but I didn't think it would matter as I've explored so little of the map--Mongols got my first scout (I'd forgotten to move him for a while when/after healing, doh, and never built another).

Settled cities 4 & 5 south and north respectively. 4th because I could fit it in, 5th for the iron on the border with the Indonesian city. Techs--mainly beelined for military techs for Varu and crossbows.

That's about it. Decent foundation, with three campuses built plus one taken from Mongols. That war is still ongoing because on a second special world congress, the emergency against me passed, but with only America joining in. Note LA to SW of Choir is a free city with a musket, so they seem to have troubles of their own. Barbs were about to take Kokeqota from Mongols when I sent an Elephant in to finish it off. Brought up a catapult and xbow to take their cap. Have lost the scout, a couple archers (one to a barb skirmisher) and a catapult (to a Mongol xbow at Choir).

Reading about others with 2-3 armies...so doubt I'll be competitive, with only the one. Who's next? US? Canada and Scotland.... We'll see.

Picture hidden below.
Spoiler :

upload_2020-7-5_20-36-14.png

Top Bottom