6otM 94 AAR

RV: Turn 158

Hi all! I know this 6otM is already well over, but I wanted to give it a try. After a long hiatus I decided to get back into Civ 6 [been on break since before R&F]. With the additional gameplay of R&F and GS, I picked up 6otM 94! [Covid-19 quarantine also has me pining for things to do!]. I did a few practice games with Khmer, and I must say they are my favorite civ so far! I'm a city builder at heart, and I think the inherent bonuses that offer huge passive effects can help the empire grow regardless of victory type. Couple that with the super-faith generating aqueducts, etc, and you can set up your religion for whatever gameplay you want.

That being said, this was my first attempt at a religious victory, in fact I very rarely ever found a religion, so thankfully it was Prince! I went for an all-peaceful victory, which was hard because I was so tempted by the pure weakness of Georgia. I was the third to found a religion [ironically nobody ever built stonehenge]. Once founded, I quickly spread my religion to Georgia and Germany [via sea], with Missionaries. During this time I continued to build my empire and found more cities - the land was so fertile how could I not? Plus, I needed to seal the southern coast once I realized I had no access to it from the east. Once I had my 9 cities [around turn 105] I was ready to really focus on religion. I built Jebel Barkal for 24 bonus faith, followed by Hagia Sophia [for extra spread]. Both wonders were built in my third city, along with the government plaza. By this point, Georgia had founded a religion wihch pretty much wiped mine away from her lands [another reason I wanted to declare war on her].

Regardless, my religion was unstopable at this point because of my super missionaries and apostles. I overwhelmed her land, Peter, and Australia. Germany was self-spreading my religion with his growing empire, which quickly locked up the continent. While my wave of missionaries were spreading religion to the west, I was stockpiling apostles in my main cities on the east, ready for the long swim to find other heathen civs. I got Cartography right around the same time as Reformed Church, and bought a dozen or so religious units and went east. I quickly overtook that continent in about 8 turns.

- How many cities did you settle?
9 [in hindsight too many], but I didn't know how easy this would be.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
early city building techs/civics, in particular for holy sites and aqueducts. I also went for Pingala in my capital early rather than Magnus. With such a high-population city 10 pop by turn 88]. The extra culture and gold basically doubled my early output, helping me rush through both trees.

- Did you bother with Diplomacy ?
I always try to be friendly to get better trades.

- How did you convert your enemies?
Through brute religious force using missionaries and apostles.

- Were City-States helpful?
Fez was great.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
How powerful Pingala was early game with Khmer. How easily my religion was spread. Was surprised that no other civs apostles ever attacked my missionaries, which meant I could not use their martyr abilities. Was surprised that other civs camped out their missionaries in the holy sites, which made it harder to kill them. My biggest surprise was how absolutely powerful two different apostle promotions were [when spreading religion reduce other religious pressure by 75%, and triple the spread.] With either of these apostles it made converting other civs SOOOO easy and fast. 1 or 2 charges even for big city. Another surprise was someone started building stonehenge around turn 152, which I thought was smart, becuase any city of theirs witha holy site would naturally convert to their religion immediately, loosening my grip on my victory! I started to rush it in one of my cities, but converted the entire world before anyone finished it.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Seriously loved it. Love Khmer. Loved the map and its esoteric challenges. Enjoyed religious victory.

-What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?

Its the only way I play any more. Makes each game so much richer, like my first games playing Civilization 1!

Thanks admin and moderators!

Religious victory turn 145

Enjoyed the recent Religious OOC challenge so much I looked back down the list for a similar game and thought I would give it a shot. Used the same 3 man apostle routine backed up by a Guru and as many Missionaries as I could afford

- How many cities did you settle?
7 in total though 3 were too late to have any real impact. Felt that I was slower than I expected because I just couldn't generate enough builders to do the chops I wanted and had to hard build them

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Got too clever about where to put my Holy site for my first city so needed Bronze working - given the mixed up tree that was a bit of a pain, probably should have been less fussy, particularly as it turned out to be a bad move because of the volcano which started erupting and I had to repair the Holy Site about 4 times costing me about 20 turns of extra production

- Did you bother with Diplomacy ?
Not really

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Thought the NE part of the map was going to give me a route across to the other continent, luckily found the SW channel not long after so didn't have an impact- the number of volcano eruptions was an unpleasant surprise
The best bit of luck though was when I was using a couple of slingers to scout around for what then became Hariharalaya and realised that Tblisi was under attack from Barbs, took the chance to declare war and grabbed it while it was weak - got the Great Bath as a bonus, not that it had a massive effect

- Were City-States helpful?
I clearly don't pay enough attention to City States. The Fez unique bonus was helpful but I realised it to late to meaningfully use it - and the Yerevan bonus came too late as I'd already built my apostles - clearly an area I should be working on

- How did you convert your enemies?
Target any opponent religious units with the apostles to aid the conversion using the 3 man group - then go after the holy city.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes I did, didn't realise how much fun religious victories could be until I played these couple of GOTMs - thanks again for all the work you guys do to create these

-What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?
Not sure - I don't think I have the number of hours played to make the normal version second nature or the skill to beeline like some of the other players do but it definitely brings i some randomness

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 145 680 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    7.7 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Top Bottom