6otM04 After Action

Domination victory turn 284 (score 979). A Deity GOTM is not the best place to learn modern warfare tactics but I had the opportunity to try out most of the units available. I was doing fine at turn 110 then had a long (2 week festive) break, returning to the game with a New Year and New Patch. This was a bit of a pain as my IZ were now sub-optimally placed and Russia turned from a cowering presence to an invading menace almost immediately I completed conquest of Germany. 3 Cossack Armies (with a couple of random barb AT units for good measure) retook some land but I managed to get up walls and upgrade to Field Cannons and Muskets just in time. A protracted deadlock with Russia followed (they had +10 strength from religion, big strong cities and early army capability from strong culture). I finally turned the tide with 3-range artillery but did not have the power to break though to St Petersburg. I made peace then fairly breezed through the other civs (Norway to Rome to Sumeria to Greece) with my offensive units whilst building up an air armada to finally crush the Russian resistance. Bombers are great and airstrips a godsend. I though the Mustang was punchy but never built a Rough Rider. Not sure if I have time or energy to rinse and repeat with 6OTM5. Thanks for the very interesting challenge.

PLEASE NOTE:- I had a background Windows 10 upgrade yesterday which restarted Steam on turn 259. I played on from the autosave of that turn. It wasn't an eventful turn and I was well on my way to victory by then. Hope that is OK

Attachments

• TEDDY ROOSEVELT 284 1826 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 158
PLEASE NOTE:- I had a background Windows 10 upgrade yesterday which restarted Steam on turn 259. I played on from the autosave of that turn. It wasn't an eventful turn and I was well on my way to victory by then. Hope that is OK
No problem, you did what you should have.

Nice to see you playing again HN. :thumbsup:

Thanks Leif. I have started out on 6oTM5 and will hopefully get through it (one way or the other) before any more patches or updates!

Domination victory on turn 249

This one was a tough start. With Egypt, Germany, and Scythia all starting so close I knew I'd need a bit of luck because if they all decided they wanted a piece of me I was toast.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
I settled 5 main cities, 2 extra from conquered settlers during wars. I ended up with 38 total cities after the conquest.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
I focused on getting the city to the north first to secure the iron I'd need for my inital push. Started mining into bronze working and followed with animal husbandry and archery.

- What order did you take down your opponents?
Germany settled Berlin directly west of Washington so I knew I wanted to take that city just to slow Germany down. I was able to snag it with 2 warriors and a slinger.

As I was considering a push onto Aachen I noticed Egypt was amassing a bunch of warriors near Boston so I peaced out Frederick and moved my units into position to defend Boston. Which I did, narrowly, I managed to build walls the turn before they would have taken the city.

It was then onto Egypt after that, and they fell without too much issue however on the northeast coast of the starting continent they let the barbs run rampant. There must have been at least 12 man-at-arms up there that I had to beat back before I could take Ra-Kedet.

Scythia followed, by that point my man-at-arms/battering ram/siege tower combo was just melting cities. I then took Norway's capital without any issue and then Aachen fell a few turns later. By this point I hadn't discovered Rome/Greece/Sumeria so I decided to bypass Peter, who had the highest score at the time, in order to find these other 3 and keep eyes on them.

Rome fell next very easily as soon as I unlocked Cartography.

It wasn't until I met Greece did I run into much resistance. They had discovered Steel and their urban defenses were too strong for my infantry to damage. I decided to redirect to Sumeria as they had not unlocked urban defenses yet. Taking Larak got me a foothold on that continent and I was able to use the aerodromes that Rome built to buy 2 bombers. I made quick work of Uruk and Kish before moving back onto Greece now that I had my bomber's stationed on the continent.

I took our Kabul to get another city bordering Russia.

It was time to turn back to Russia, who had Jet Fighters by now, my bombers were able to make slow work of the defenses of Nizhniy Novgorod and Kazan, requiring healing between each bombardment. Eventually St Petersburg fell and I got my very first win on Deity!

-What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
3 warriors and 2 archers started things off fighting Germany. I kept those units for the majority of the game and all 3 warriors ended up lvl 7 infantry. I didn't get to use swordsman much as I was quick to get man-at-arms. Settling the Great Barrier Reef and getting both tiles worked quickly really boosted my early research. Man-at-arms to musketmen then right to infantry. I did use some field cannons and late game it was bombers and rocket artillery.

- Did you use diplomacy? How?
I was hated from the start so I was able to do very little in the way of trading and negotiating.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
No

- Were City-States helpful?
Not much in this one, I suzed Stockholm which helped me get an early great general which helped.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
I was just surprised how big Rome got on their own island. If they had built any military I might not have been able to take them out which would have slowed me down and I probably wouldn't have been able to kill Pericles before he went to space.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, it was super fun to finally get a deity win!

1672863359791.png

1672863459225.png

Attachments

• 6otm 04.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Top Bottom