1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM07 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jan 15, 2017.

1. whacker

whacker Chieftain

Spoiler :

fortydayweekend likes this.
  2. Rain

Rain Marquesa

Where did you settle your city?
    On the spot. Don't like to waste time and seemed i would have a few bits of raw production without a builder.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Animal Husbandry > Archery > Mining Then the walls tech and spearman tech
    Policies where barb bonus and faith in capital til i pantheoned then 50% bonus on archer production and 2g for trade.

- What was your build order?
    Slinger Warrior Warrior Archer Archer Spearman Archer spam built a second Spearman in there somewhere so each of my armies had a spear and a warrior. I improved 3 tiles at Nidaros with a captured Sumerian around turn 50.

- Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
    I declared on China with 2 archers and and 2 warriors followed by declaring on france and sumeria in overlap after sumeria forward settled me while i was warring france.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Commercial hub finished it on turn 92 i think or thereabouts.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I captured Bejing a settler Jiaodong and Xi an which ended China; Then Sippar from sumeria; Rennes and Rouen from France; Eridu from Sumeria then took Paris and a settler and Uruk on turn 92. France has 2 left Sumeria 1 i think. Getting tricky tho sumeria built a pikeman in uruk before it fell and France is spamming catapults. I have a large army of archers 2 spears and 2 warriors. I lost one warrior to china thats it so far. In total i have ten cities: Nidaros plus nine captured and 2 settlers in waiting.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Civics were just a beeline to 4 policy goverment. Just followed the path of least resistance. Went Oligarchy around turn 90. Policies unit maintenance reduction; 50% unit build ; 2g for trader : 2 pts for envoy.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Jakarta Preslav both are at war with me being allies of France and Sumeria.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    They were til i attacked them. China was probing my location but got caught up in the barb avalanch then i trashed their little army in the open. I met Russia while taking eridu and swapped some lux with them but i have no idea where they are, tho an educated guess is somewhere to the south of sumeria.

- How were the Barbarians?
    Had a horde of them right out of the gate including a horse camp about 4 tiles from my cap.

- Any surprises?
    1st try at this level and the norwegians are useless on this layout so its all a surprise :D I'm surprised its going so well tho I am so leveraged it could collapse at any second.

Update Eliminated Sumeria on Turn 98 and found Russia. French are still hanging on but lost another settler and i think are done tho will take some mopping up yet.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Chieftain

Well, I was 0-2 so I gave up.
    Last month GoTM on diety at turn 101 I had 13 cities (+1 settler), 43.7 science, 45.1 culture, 33.5 faith, & 4 trade routes. I haven't finished the game yet, but I had high hopes for this month!

I settled 2 NW to keep the stone in play and a 2f2h tile. Having found horses up there (also 2f2h) I decided to tentatively make a run at Stonehenge if I could get the eureka for Astronomy. Build order plan was still Slinger x3 then Stonehenge but depending how AI went, gold from huts, etc. it may have been Slinger x2, Stonehenge. I figured if I got it fine, if I didn't no problem.

Met China on T5, got the Eureka for Astronomy a couple of turns later, then China declared on T10.

This was extremely frustrating as China had only 1 warrior (and 2 in the shadows) and clearly had no hope of doing anything -- I don't know what they were thinking. My first slinger got some shots in as my warrior came up and by the time the 2nd slinger was built China sued for peace for 34g + 8g/turn. Fairly ridiculous sum for a game before turn 20 and I knew Sumer was around so I took it. China declaring also gave me hope though that they may not focus on SH & worker rushing it.

At this point I felt great, used the $$$ to buy a worker for chopping and had Sumer declare when I was ~5 turns from Stonehenge. I ended up losing SH with 3 turns to go and 2 slingers & a warrior had no chance against Sumer. Because they approached through forests/rainforests the Slingers (maybe even archers at that point?) didn't do much and I was quickly killed.
    -------------------
    I don't finish a lot of Civ games and I'm likely to only play starting with GoTM so I can talk about it so I revved this one up again and went with the same settling plan but the "normal" approach of 3 slingers planning to upgrade to archers ASAP.

The game went exactly the same except China declared on T11 and sued for peace just as quickly. At this point I had meta-knowledge and didn't advance the archers on their city but instead kept them back in my territory. Sumer declared anyway earlier than in the first game and 2 archers & a warrior (with a 3rd archer brought online just before death) couldn't stop them.

Just as a player can sweep early cities with 2 archers and a warrior 3 warriors and a war cart through forest/rainforest terrain seems unstoppable. If you shoot them you're just going to give them a promotion and once they have 3 units in place next to your city and the warcart attacks it's all over.

GG all -- may the RNG make Sumer look the other way for 5 seconds.

4. whacker

whacker Chieftain

t97 update.

I conquered a French city with my archer army and took Preslav as part of the peace deal. I`m done with settling now, 17 cities. Sumeria DOWed me, but i wanted to do that anyway in the next few turns.

I sent two galleys northwest/southwest and found Amsterdam, Nan-Madol, America and England. Sadly America conquered Stockholm and England took Seoul. I therefore decided to split my 10 knight army into 2 parts and added a 2. battering ram. 5 knights will cross the ocean and liberate Stockholm and Seoul and then scout/conquer that continent. The other 5 knights and my ranged army will take care of Sumeria and France, scouting south/east afterwards.

Back home im starting to actually get a SV going. :)

I also finished the Colloseum in t94 by chopping 2 stones and a deer.

Spoiler :
    20170117111051_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. CappyAA

CappyAA Chieftain

So far, things are going ok I guess. I think I'm in an ok spot at turn 100 but don't have the science output I'd like by now. Here's my empire at turn 100:

Spoiler :

- Where did you settle your city?

I moved my warrior to see the landscape but ultimately decided to settle in place. I didn't see a huge gain from moving the settler and in-place isn't bad --> lots of production to the south.

Did AH first which I'm super happy about (more below). Went to Archery very quickly. Then I played my Eurekas and beelined Currency, then to Machinery for Crossbows, and now I'm catching up on the top and researching Shipbuilding (1 turn left).

In the Culture tree, I beelined to Political Philosophy and now making my way to Feudalism (on Defensive Tactics now).

I had been going Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Settler in my previous few plays, but in this one I went in with a plan of early expansion and warring, so I went Slinger, Slinger, Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Slinger, Builder, Settler. I'm super happy I did given China's early aggressiveness. After that I put a Campus down in my capital. As I expanded out, I have prioritized Walls (due to the aggroness), Campuses, and Commercial Hubs.

China declared within the first 10 turns, I barely had 1 slinger out when they sent 4 warriors to my capital. I managed to fight him off as I kept building slingers and took the first peace deal. I quickly updated to archers and moved towards China and Sumeria. I declared on both of them when they had spare settlers floating around. I was able to take one more of China's cities before they got walls up. Sumeria already had walls up. I didn't have any catapults done yet, so I just picked off both of their units and took favorable peace deals. I am currently at peace while I build up my cities and armies. Will likely declare on China first within the next 20-30 turns as the terrain seems more manageable than vs Sumeria.

Got a campus up semi-early (~turn 40) in my capital. In total, I have finished 3 campuses and working on the 4th. Have 1 encampment in my capital. And have 1 Commercial Hub, while working on another.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes, I have 7 cities now - captured 1 city and started 6 (with 2 settlers captured). A couple of my cities are in less than optimal places. 1 was a rush to beat Sumeria to an open spot SE of my capital. The other was in the middle with no fresh water. I would have gotten a unit killed and my settler captured back if I didn't just settle in place on that turn.

I chose Oligarchy for the flexibility. Used the +5 to barbs early, but that quickly changed to -1 gold for units and have kept that the same. I used the +1 faith until I got a pantheon (God of the Sea). Since then, I changed to +1 production in cities. After I got my government, I have the +2 points towards envoys. And have rotated the wildcard between the 30% builders, bonuses towards units, and First Envoy gets 2. Although I have only met 1 city state so not getting much use of that. :)

Jakarta only. And France has them now. :(

Haha

Early they were a pain. While I was dealing with China, 3-4 came from the SW and had to fight them off afterwards. But now I have my whole part of the land settled so they shouldn't be an issue until I expand outward.

- Any surprises?

Other than the early ambush war, nope!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  6. Tana

Tana Chieftain

Well, that was interesting. Made so many mistakes but I guess I'm doing OK.

Settled in place and started with a scout.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Animal Husbandry, Archery, the usual stuff. Survey and god king. For one last time I wanted to see if it's possible to get a highly promoted scout. Never again. God king also turned out to be completely useless.

What was your build order?

Scout, slinger, slinger-to-archer, builder for 1 turn - switch for archer, warrior. Then either one more archer or finish builder, not sure.

Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
    Gilga declared on turn 19. He gave me a relic as a peace offering, so I accepted without thinking. I was maybe 2 turns away from getting a pantheon either way, so it was not that helpful. So a few turns later I sold it back to him. China probably planned to declare before gilga, as he had his army on my doorstep, but maybe the barbarians and my delegation distracted him enough so he did not declare war. Instead he chose to help me with barbarians who were invading my capital. I thanked him by capturing 2 of his cities some time later and getting 2 more in the peace deal. Made some mistakes and had to take a peace deal before I got his last good city.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Got a science district for the eureka boost. A few trade districts and science districts here and there, now starting with industrial. I don't think my timing was optimal, and made some stupid mistakes with city and district placement.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Total 9 cities, 1 settler on the way and 1 more building. Should have been done by now. Captured/traded 4 cities, and I think I stole 1 settler.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    2 envoys in dscharakrakrata.

How were the Barbarians?
    Horsie spotted at turn 10. Brought all units to capital to defend. Still having trouble because I stupidly let 2 camps appear.

Crisis at turn 20 when gilga declared (and china helping against barbs)
    Spoiler :

Situation at T100.
    Spoiler :

7. lqwertyp

lqwertyp Chieftain

First post, longtime lurker (lurked at a lot of civilization 3 SG's).

When I saw this 6otm I thought I'd give it a try, although I haven't played an immortal game yet.

Since it was immortal difficulty I reckoned to build slingers first, but boy, I got murdered!

China and Sumeria DOW'd on turn 15 together and by turn 20 I was gone to Valhalla.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got murdered right away, but it's too bad I'll have to wait until the next 6otm to try to submit.

Love lurking the forums here, so keep up the good work! Until the next 6otm!

8. cheffster

cheffster Deity

on spot, at first the location didn't look very appealing but once I realized how many hills are to the south I saw it's a great location for a high production city.

animal husbandry-archery immediately and from there researched any tech I already had a eureka moment towards or needed while working towards apprenticeship.
    policy wise I went (+1 production all cities) and (5+ combat vs barbs) for a long time. After declaring war on Gilgamesh early I was able to get a +4 faith relic as part of his peace terms so I did not need
    to get (+1 gold/faith in capital) in order to found a pantheon.

Once I was done with clearing out most barbs and had political philosophy I went (-1 unit upkeep), (+2 influence) (+30% builders and +1 each city production), while queuing up a 1 turn to complete builder in most cities to finish building once I can swap to
    serfdom (+2 build actions)

slinger->slinger->builder->slinger->settler

yu,p both china and Sumeria I harassed early and got favorable peace deals.
    I went north and conquered china and after I defeated them both France and Sumeria declared war on me. I was
    easily able to defend off their attacks and got got 21g/turn, 9g/turn and some luxuries from Sumeria/France respectively.

Immediately after bronze working i chopped an encampment in my captial, simply because of the 2 military city states I had and one of them had a quest for an encampment.

captured all 3 of china's cities, settled 4 myself to make 7 and an 8th city is underway with a settler moving to a location in the middle of the continent.

nope, 2 declared war.

pretty rough. to the south there was a camp that kept spawning and I had to send 2 archers down to clear them.
    A swarm of 6 barb horsemen spawned while I was at war and pillaged most of my capital tiles but I was able to fend them off eventually and not loose and settlers/builders.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  9. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Ouch - I got immediately trounced by China. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. My one early slinger was surrounded by units and taken out and then warriors swarmed my capital and my starting unit was too far away to help. Defeat on turn 17. I probably should have gone straight slinger (switched to a builder after my first one) and kept my units closer but I'm not even sure it would have made a difference. First defeat in Civ 6 :wallbash:

10. jeremybeier

jeremybeier Chieftain

T29 Loss

Didn't get to do much after DoW from China T9 and Sumeria T24.

in place

started with mining for copper

scout, worker, warrior, warrior, campus

Attached Files:

11. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Settled in place after warrior went northwest and found coast but nothing that inspired a move.

TECH:
    Pottery -> Animal Husbandry -> Archery -> Mining
    Bronze -> Irrigation->Writing -> Wheel -> Currency
    Engineering -> Iron Working -> Machinery -> Horseback Riding

CIVICS:
    CoL -> Foreign Trade -> Early Empire -> Craftsmanship
    State Workforce -> PP (turn 81) -> Mil Tradition -> Games & Rec -> Drama & Poetry

Slinger x3 -> Warrior -> Granary -> Builder -> Settler -> Builder -> Trader

Yes, first China and Gilgamesh DoWed me on turn 12 and 18 - I was able to beat them back, but it took quite a bit of resources and time before I could get peace with them (turn 22 and 29). Meanwhile barbs added to the fray - once I was able to finish off the barbs, I then DoWed China off and on again but was only able to take one city before he had walls up, and enough horsemen to keep my archers too busy to capture another city. As of now i am at peace w/ everyone but still hold a grudge against China, and one against Sumeria as well.

As of turn 100 i have 2 campuses and 2 commercial districts - the first of those wasn't completed until turn 74, however.

I only have 4 cities so far - my capital, 2 expansion cities from my own settlers, and 1 captured city from china. I have another settler on the way, and I am seriously considering sending to the NE section of the continent (past China) for Iron, Fur and Tsingy de Bemaraha bonus tiles. I plan on expanding via war over the next 100 turns to try to catch back up. My goal is to take over roughly half my continent, and then try to build up the infrastructure to finish off with the space race. I don't intend to expand overseas (either via war or peace).

Discipline & God King to start. Ilkum, Agoge & Colonization have all made appearances.
    I chose Oligarchy as my government.

I have 1 envoy each w/ Jakarta and Preslav and see that Kabul has been captured (initially by France, but currently owned by Russia)

No! - Sumeria and China have been jerks from the start. France and Russia have been OK to me - but probably because they have been at war with each other

Rough - I've had 3 separate camps get out of hand, and require far too much effort to beat back. It has stunted the development of my civ as well as my ability to wage war against my neighbors effectively.

- Any surprises?
    I guess no real surprises, but that early warfare not paying off with any real dividends has me in last place. I am behind on tech, civics, and overall score. I am planning on upgrading my army (Archers->Crossbow, and building some siege/bombard units) and then either going back at china or perhaps taking the fight south to Gilgamesh.

Overall it sounds like I am faring better than some (I'm still alive at turn 100!) but not as well as most of the people who are still in this thing. I really thought I could take China down more then I did, that was the real surpise.

Spoiler :

20170122003420_1.jpg

12. CaptainFranz

CaptainFranz Chieftain

Tough start on this one, but I am glad to see I am not the only one having problems...

In place. Not particularly attractive, but didn't see anything else worth moving for.

For techs, I opened with my usual AH into archery. Then trying to balance bottom of the tree for military tech (aggressive neighbors) with center for tech to campus / CH / IZ.
    For civics, no particular priorities. Loose aim for political philosophy, then feudalism... like most games.

My usual: slinger/archer x4, then builder for 3 improvements.

Well, met China on turn 7 which did not bode particularly well. Found out their location and planning to go for them as soon as I had my usual 3 archers + 1 warrior. Except Gilgamesh didn't agree with my plan and declared on me at T20. With perfect timing, barbs attacked from the west at the same time. Thankfully archers were ready not one turn too early (boosted) and took care of everything, included a war cart. First time I get to deal with one of those early and wow are those bad.
    As soon as that was over, I decided to go for China. I thought they would be an easier target and definitely a shorter distance than Gilgamesh, whom exact location I didn't know by the time. Unfortunately, having to deal with all of that defense + healing threw off my usual timing. I declared at T36 and walls were up already. I thought no big deal, since city strength was pretty low. China's second went down at T42. Except now I have to deal with a *MASSIVE* barbarian wave from the NW (like 6 or so, at least no horsemen). Once that was cleared, I went for China's capital. Unfortunately I was a little late. Attacked with 3 archers, of which 2 with double promotion vs. city districts, but that wasn't enough. I managed to take down the walls but then lost one of the archers. At that point I knew it was over and went for peace at T65.
    After that, I declared twice on Gilgamesh, both times to take over an unescorted settlers. I lost a few archers to their horsemen. This was pretty bad.

Campus in the capital at 59. Then went for a commercial hub and a couple IZ a little earlier than usual. Starting location looks like production heaven. I sacrificed a hill to get a perfect +6 adjacency IZ that is covering 5 cities and also a +4 adjacency in my second city. Planning to use the double IZ adjacency card later.

I was going for the usual initial conquest, but it didn't work out this time. So I planned out a few cities and expanded. Founded 5 more cities and took 1 one from China. That totals 7 cities by T100 which is by far my lowest in any of the last few games. Especially bad, considering there is no more space for expansion and taking cities from neighbors is gonna be very tough. I am trying to go for knights and see how that plays out, but it's still dicey.

Spoiler Map at T100 :

20170122160900_1.jpg

Discipline + god king for early pantheon. Then colonization for settlers. Once I got political philosophy (T88) I switched to classical republic and took colonization, ilkum, diplomatic league, maneuver (cranking heavy chariots for upgrade to knights).

Third game in a row with a lack of nearby CS. This time around it looks even worse as there is only one in the middle of the continent, so it's gonna be impossible to suzerain.

Other than the early declaration from Gilgamesh, I declared the other wars. The fact that both Sumeria and China have access to 2 horses is troubling. To make things worse, they like each other, so I am concerned that they might do a joint declaration on me at some point.

Attacked with really bad timing. First from the West at the same time as the declaration from Gilgamesh. Then a massive wave right next to the city I had just taken from China. That second one was particularly bad as it threw off my timed push against China.

- Any surprises?

Overall aggressiveness / war preparedness of both Sumeria and China. Did the AI suddenly learn how to fight? LOL. Anyways, Sumeria war carts + horsemen is bad. China with horses too is even worse. This looks by far the most dicey of the last 3 games I've played. I might have to go some heavy war to pull it off, which is not really how I was planning to play this one.
    Also, Norway's uniques are completely useless in this game. If at least we had islands instead of continents, it might have been a little bit more interesting (probably also easier given the victory condition).

13. mateusz

mateusz Chieftain

this location is quite challenging. in my first attempt, after 20 rounds i was attacked by neighbour and killed within next 5 turns :D

Moderator Action: Welcome to GotM. Moved your post to the Opening Action thread as it contains spoiler information. In future, please follow our rule that once you open a save, you are no longer able to post in the announcement thread. We do this to prevent information that may spoil the game for others from being posted. Thanks. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  14. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

This is my first Civ6 gotm, and my first game at immortal level. I thought I was doing pretty bad, but at least I'm still alive! ;) Turn 105 and I just settled my 3rd pathetic city. Still don't have any iron and don't see any on the map.

Settled in place. Build order was slinger, slinger, warrior. I think a builder was next, then walls. I was preparing for barbarians, but China showed up with a slinger and 4 warriors around turn 15. We ended up fighting barbarians together, and once I got the walls built and upgraded my slingers to archers, China went away and got a lot friendlier. Sumeria was also acting kinda froggy but never jumped. I'm getting along okay with both of them now, and I've also met France and England. I have 2 campuses up and an encampment. No commercial districts yet and no holy sites. I'm in last place in every category except military; I think I'm about 5th or 6th there.

15. Steve Milne

Steve Milne Chieftain

I went one tile to the northwest. I thought I may have sea access at that location, turns out this was false but still served as a solid location.

I did pottery into Writing, then Animal husbandry into archery - I delay AH into archery until I kill something with a slinger.

In order to survive on immortal I've adopted the strategy of building a slinger right away and teaming up with the warrior to kill a barbarian. This gives you the boost for archery which I've found is critical to winning early wars. No matter what victory condition I'm going after, in immortal, I start a bunch of wars and try to take as many cities and territory around me ASAP. Archery is crucial to this strategy.

Oh yeah, I went after China with a surprise war, took me until about turn 80 to take all 4 cities they had made - while my army was north, Sumeria attacked at took my capital but it didn't matter. I then declared war on France and moved south. I plan to move west again and retake my capital . My empire is now massive and eventually I want to start focusing on science. I've found however that in Immortal, you have to go to war in the first 100-200 turns before really focusing in order to get a big enough empire to win. Civ 6 removed penalties for the # of cities you can have, so now having more Campus districts is a huge advantage as long as you keep up on amenities.

Yeah it was probably turn 50 before I finally finished this because I was spamming warriors and archers to support the war effort in the north. I went with a campus first - China ended up focusing on Culture so I had 2 theatre districts built in cities I captured. Eventually led to a nice balance - the final city I took from China had a commercial hub, so just by conquering I maintained a nice balance.

In order to win by science I really think you have to. You need lots of Campus districts to win by science on immortal, so having a ton of cities is crucial. I think If you spend the first 100+ (usually 200 for me...) turns expanding your empire and taking cities from you neighbors it will really pay off in the long run. If you declare war early in the process you can keep the war mongering penalties low. Don't accept peace deals from civs that you plan on taking cities from - that's the key to expanding while keeping your war mongering penalties low.

I played bonus against barbarians and +1 production until I got the 50% boost towards military unit production. Then rode those until I got to choose a first government. Eventually I became an oligarchy, got the -1 gold for maintenance, kept the unit production bonus - +2 towards city state envoys, +2 gold for trade routes. Pretty standard military focused gov't.

France took over the only city state that was near by and I didn't get a coastal city until I took one from China so it took me a while to get some ships in the sea and do some exploration. I ended up taking Jakarta from France but chose to keep it instead of liberate it. It's a great city with mountains which are great for campus districts - so I thought that was better for my cause than a gold based city-state.

I feel like this is similar to the war question but no - I mean you're right next to Sumeria and China two civs that love to war. So it's pretty much impossible to avoid conflict early in this one. France is the only civ that tries peace, look what that got them - I ended up taking all their cities.

Well it's always the worst case scenario when you have barbarian camps on each side of your capital city and of course that's the case in this start. There is one barbarian camp to the south west and one almost directly east. They both send scouts and you can usually only handle one in the beginning. I took out the one to the east and just dealt with the endless horde of barbarians from the southwest.

- Any surprises?
    I'm embarrassed to say I was surprised by it but getting blind sided by Sumeria while I was north fighting the chinese caught me off guard. I lost my capital which was disappointing... but more to come as my army works its way back west...

16. Steve Milne

Steve Milne Chieftain

I completely know what you mean by "holding a grudge against China and Sumeria" - When someone attacks me and tries to take my cities, then tries to declare peace afterwards I have such a tough time 'accepting' their deals... All I want is vengeance...

17. sebtanic

sebtanic Chieftain

Turn 109 right now, seems I was luckier than some, at least I didn't get DOWed or killed.

2 tiles to the NW, thinking I might eventually want to get a harbor. Didn't get one so far as I settled 2 coastal cities.

Can't remeber really, think I went writing first, then astrology, but too late to get a religion. They were gone really fast.

scout - slinger - settler I think, but didn't really take note

I DOWed Sumeria when they sent a settler to my borders, just in time to capture it. They had a superior army but I didn't lose any city (lost a few archers though). Just took the first Sumerina city and it looks like it's going to be a cakewalk from here, his army is nonexistent, my longboats and quadriremes are devastating his shores and my archers and heavy chariots are advancing towards the Sumerian core cities.

got 2 holy sites and one campus so far, working on a harbor now

Settled 2 coastal cities myself, another inland one with the settler I took from Sumeria. Planning to annex most of the Sumerian lands, hopefully war weariness will allow.

Constantly changed cards as I needed them

Just 2 so far, Jakarta who got conquered by China, and Preslav (2 envoys)

They keep DOWing each other

Much less of a nuisance than last GOTM

- Any surprises?
    Found a relic in a ruin! Didn't expect that, nice surprise. 4 free faith and 8 free tourism :)

18. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji Chieftain

I had posted in the AAR Thread how I've been murdered twice and didn't realize I maybe should post here. Anyway, my third attempt went better.

On spot. Considering my chances of surviving was low at best, I needed every single turn. Besides, I've seen worse locations.

Animal Husbandry > Archery. Needed those Archers ASAP with China and Sumeria already lurking around. The standard path for Civics: Craftsmanship > Early Empire > State Workforce > Political Philosophy > Feudalism (on the way there, actually)

Hardcore military: Slinger >Slinger >Slinger > Warrior > Slinger > Warrior > Builder > Archer > Warrior (should have been an Archer, in retrospect) > Archer > Settler. This proved enough to scare Gilga enough that he didn't DoW me on the spot

Yes. I actually declared against China and Sumeria, but I would get declared anyway a couple turns later. At least I had my troops in place while theirs weren't well positioned. Later on France was just next to China, so why not grab a few more cities.

Commercial Hubs and an Encampment. Shame the barbarians didn't allow me to safely build an EC for Colosseum though.

Considering other posts, I expanded quite a bit. 14 cities, half conquered, half settled. I'll still settle at least a couple more, and definitely finish Sumeria and Russia. I had enough of the AI to let it live in my continent.

Changing as needed, though Conscription was active all the time. Needed it because I raised quite an army, because Gilga had walls quite early, meaning my Archers are obsoleting.

Jakarta (no envoys) and Preslav (2 envoys). The bonus to unit production in the capital is quite valuable.

Russia bullied France too when I declared, and now Gilga has just declared war on Russia. Hope it keeps Gilga busy while I conquer his cities.

Annoying. There was a camp in the west that kept spawning unit after unit while my army was conquering China and France. Then a camp to the south began sending Horsemen, which pillaged some tiles. Later on, another camp to the west had appeared and kept sending more units.

- Any surprises?
    Buying a 1f-3p tile to the south really helped to crank more Slingers in a shorter time. In my opinion, it was the most important decision that eventually led to my survival.
    Even with a numerical disadvantage, it seemed to be better to declare war than to expect them to do it. Their positioning may get more awkward because of that (don't blame the AI, I think a beginner might have done the same mistake because of the surprise factor in MP).

19. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

Busy month for me, haven’t had a lot of time to play so just now got to turn 100. As others mentioned, challenging opening with such aggressive neighbors and barbs. I’ve survived so far, so I guess I can’t complain, but definitely felt hemmed in most of the game so far.

Where did you settle your city?

Starting hex- on a river, mountain nearby for an early campus.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Science:
    Animal, Planned to go Mining but China declared the turn I completed it so I went Archery, then Mining/Pottery/Irrigation/Writing/Sailing/Bronze/Currency/Wheel/Astro/Masonry/Shipbuilding (Forgot that opened up Ocean tiles or I would have done it sooner). Then Engineering/Horse, started on Apprentice.

Culture: Push to Political Philosophy (turn 80, couldn’t find 3rd City State in time), then Games, Def Tactics, Mil Tradition.

What was your build order?
    Scout/Slingerx2, Archer/Builder/Settler (interrupted for a warrior)/Builder/Monument/Campus, another Settler then WaterMill/Chariot/Commercial(swap to another builder)

Bergen built a couple longships early, a settler, and a Commercial district, other cities built Water Mills, Builders, Walls

Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
    Yes – No. China declared surprise war on turn 10, had a weird issue where I saw a unit from Sumeria the next turn, but it didn’t give me contact until turn 17. Sumeria DOW’d on turn 33, got peace about 10 turns later. Then turn 83 they ganged up for a joint war against me, but again I killed a few units and got peace after 10 turns. I wanted to go after their cities, but I was facing multiple waves of barbs at the same time.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    I wanted to go for an early Campus, but between units it was delayed and finally finished turn 64, and a Commercial district in Bergen. I am currently working another couple commercial districts and looking to build an encampment in one of my eastern cities.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    It was a struggle early to hold off the AI and barbs, but I built Bergen on turn 46, then built a pair of settlers (and captured one from the barbs) for a wave of 3 cities around turn 75, still just have 5.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Initial priority was the +5 vs Barbs, then the bonus toward ancient units, used the + for builders or settlers when I could build a couple at a time. I chose Classical Republic for the GP point bonus, hoping for some scientists.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Just Jakarta for most of the game (France took Preslav early), and China already was Suzrain. My longship just met Stockholm and Nan Madol in the last 10 turns.

Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Not at all!!

How were the Barbarians?
    Challenging. I had steady stream from the SW corner (until I could clear and settle there), and there were waves of horsemen and horse archers flowing thru Sumeria that tied up my forces, so I couldn’t advance and take any of the AI cities.

Any surprises?
    Just the aggression of the AI, was hoping for a relatively peaceful early game.
    Spoiler Map at Turn 100 :
    G7_100.jpg

20. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

Im at turn 85. Holy cows what a GOTM !
    I havent played since GOTM2. Did they patch up the difficulty levels ? Or did you edit things to artificially increase the difficulty ?

The Questions
    Spoiler :

On the spot

My research priorities were: Archery - Irrigation/mining (to work tiles) - Horseback riding - Machinery - Currency
    My civic priority as always for the 4 slots government asap, getting stuff on the way there as boosts provide, then feudalism. Next will be the merchant republic.

2x slinger - 7x archer - Settlers

Chinesed DOWed me T12, Sumeria DOWed me T18

As of yet, T85 i have not completed any districts myself, only conquered a bunch and layed out build plans for a few science districts.

As of T85 i have captured 6, gotten 1 in a peace deal and constructed 7 including my capital.

50% unit production was the main thing, used the 50% settler production for a long time too. Other than that the unit upkeep, the 1 production in cities. As soon as i got feudalism (early 80's) i took the +2 action workers and started building those everywhere.

I met 2 city states. Dont remember the names, but it should be obvious which ones as there arent any others nearby. I got 1 envoy with the commercial one trough a quest. I did not yet spend the 1 envoy i gathered over time. Ill keep it until i find scientific CSes.

O.o

O.o !!!! WTF

- Any surprises?
    See above.

-The unasked question about religion:
    I got a pantheon trough an artifact gotten in a peace deal.
    I hoped to get a religion too by conquering some holy districts.
    I thought i was on track to get one, as there were only 2 religions founded yet and while i was behind in great prophet points in the race for this next 120point GP, i was catching up and felt that i could probably catch the next one or if not, surely the one after that. However, there were no next ones. I dont get it. There were only 3 religions and the prophets were sold out.

The report
    Spoiler :

The overall plan:
    To get a good production and science base, as always the first goal is to take the continent ASAP.
    I will go full force military first producing a bunch of warriors and slingers, using coins to upgrade those to archers and swordsmen adding some horseman production.
    If those 2coin upkeep units dont seem enough to take the continent, i will produc some heavy chariots and upgrade to xbow and knights.
    I dont expect to be using any berserkers because they are on a different tech and upgrade path. Many of the boosts require certain tile improvements.
    I will try not to build or buy any workers and hope conquest can do the job instead. Either by stealing workers, or by taking cities with the needed improvements.
    After this conquest phase, i will have a settler production phase to fill in the gaps on my continent, followed by a worker building phase.

The early invasion:
    This is quite an amazing start for a GOTM. I thought mostly GOTMs are supposed to be easy so that most everyone can at least finish the game even if its not fast. Not so for this one.
    As my warrior and slinger are smashing a nearby barb camp China declares on turn 12 and brings 4 warriors.
    The warrior and slinger hurry home to defend. Fortunately a second slinger also just finishes production and the archer tech comes in for upgrades on turn 17 so the attack is repelled effectively and without losses.
    On turn 18 Sumeria declares as well and barb scouts are taking their chances to run and report their camps of my presence.
    Even though i went pure miltairy, straight for archery and got the boost for archery, if the AI wouldnt like moving around so much, it could have probably taken me down. Quite an amazing GOTM experience indeed.
    As i have killed all the invaders, Both offenders pay dearly for peace 10 turns after their declaration (22 and 28).
    China pays a good sum of money+GPT and Sumeria offers me a relic which is really nice as it soon provides me with a pantheon. (devine spark)

A very short peace:
    It is turn 29, things have calmed down around my capital as im mopping up the last barbarians.
    A scout has however spotted me and it got away as i was too busy with the Chinese and Sumerian invaders so new barbs are to be expected.
    I have purchased a builder so that i can get boosts for Irrigation, The Wheel and Craftmanship.
    Not sure if that was the best idea as i will have to protect the improvements against barbs.
    War-carts are too formidable an enemy for an early assault on Sumeria. Archers and warriors are not really sufficient against them.
    With for now China being the only other foe to conquer, i dont know how much work there is to do for my archers and warriors.
    I need to take care not to overbuild them and give more priority to teching for better units and settling the space available.
    I currently have only 4 archers and 1 warrior though so i can use a bit more to fight China while also keeping the barbs at bay.
    Culture seems to be the key as i want to get feudalism to make stirrups cheap while defensive tactics can help me build a wall for engineering.
    Rather than build a monument though i prefer to make haste conquering china. They probably have monuments too.

Revenge on the Chinese:
    I sent my 4 archers + warrior up to China. Capturing its 2 expansion cities went quite smooth on turn 36 and 44. The capital with its citywalls was a tough nut to crack but it went down on turn 52 .
    During this offensive war, the barbarians kept coming from the southeast in an endless stream so i kept producing archers until i researched early empire around turn 50.
    At that point i totalled 9 archers and 2 warriors. One of those archers was bought in a conquered chinese city to provide some extra firepower on the capital.

The French war.
    As i didnt know whom my next enemy would be and i couldnt yet build anything better than archers, i changed to producing settlers around turn 45.
    My newly founded cities would mostly start with a monument. I also started 1 longship and a trader and a worker to hook up a second horse.
    After conquering China, my 6 archer + 1 warrior army moved east. In the late 50s they had found France.
    Unfortunately, by now they were too far from home to expect any backup so the archers and warriors will have to do the conquest by themselves.
    They capture toulouse on turn 62 and bordeaux on 72. Following that, i sign peace getting all the gold, gpt and lyon in the peace deal.
    I now have a healthy coin income and some cities are starting to get ready for horseman production so i will be using the comming 10 turns to build and upgrade a more modern army.
    2 of my archers have around 100xp, so they might end up being logistic-crossbows in the foreseeable future.
    I also finished my first longboat on turn 72. Meanwhile research and culture are still targeting for machinery and feudalism. Both of those should be coming around somewhere in the early 80's.

Another really short peace:
    After signing peace with France, my archers moved westward to scout on Sumeria. They didnt really find many war-carts. Sumeria was very low on military score.
    So i told them to attack and if nothing else, at least gain a bunch of experience so that hopefully the 2 veterans among them can have logistics by the time they will be upgraded to x-bows.

War from 2 sides:
    Around turn 80, Russia declared on me and move into my french territories. I moved my most advanced archers home for defence and upgraded them to Xbows as they arived. They easilly dispatch Putin's 2 swordsmen and heavy chariot. Unfortunately they spend some time moving instead of fighting and only had these 3 units to kill, so they are at 120ish xp for now and thus need another 10 turns of attacking before they will become truly awesome.
    By turn 84 the remaining archers manage to capture Kish with the help of freshly produced horsemen who provided zone control.
    Also around this time i researched feudalism and my cities start building 5-action workers to get things going for real.
    In total my army now counts 6 horsemen, 4 xbows, 1heavy chariot, 5archers and 2 warriors. That should hopefully be enough to take the continent, but surely its going to take a while.
    My score is now finaly about average in the world rankings. Im still lagging on both science and civics though.

Lessons learned so far in this game:
    -Must use ZOC to stop cities from healing if you dont take them in 2-3 turns. I wasted way too much time on the Chinese capital before i got this "luminous idea"
    -Beware of era increases in relation to barbs, the first horse barbs surprised me a bit.

Edit: Abandoned game. I hadnt played late game before and wasnt aware of my true goals. Too much i have been working to grow my cities rather than just getting those science districts asap and meeting the scientific CSes asap. Of course i knew that was also part of the plan, but i wrongly though that i would also need big cities with science from population. With factories and ruhr to get the production for building research labs and all the things needed to facilitate population. I was wrong and thus i have prepared for the wrong goals.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017