6otM100 Opening actions Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM100 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you bother with Culture??
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

Game 1/ Ethiopia

T72, and I just ran into what looks like a bug :
Soothsayers cannot be used to trigger floods on the floodplains tiles that are shown W of the starting location.

They can on every other floodplains tile on the map, so maybe it's because these 5 specific tiles were edited in?

Anyhow, it kinda ruins the whole GreatBath --> MassFloods --> MassFaith strategy that is particularly fun with Ethiopia, which may have been the point??

Honestly because of this I don't think I will finish this game and move on to Game B, since this whole strategy was my only reason to play a Prince game....

Game 1 Ethiopia
here did you settle your city? In place. Good hill land
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? went straight for astrology, Got to see the eye of the sahara in time for the boost
- What was your build order? scout, slinger... eventually the pyramids
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? holysite. I think this game is made for a religius victory
- How did you place your districts? holy site next to mountains and EOTS, campus by the geothermal vents
- Did you bother with Culture?? Not really no... Pingala as governor was almost automatic... although later I was thinking maybe the buddist monk guy... but so far so good
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? growth
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? geneva was a first... then whatever was best at the time
- Were your neighbors peaceful? macedonia is locked in war with Nubia
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

Game 1/ Ethiopia

T72, and I just ran into what looks like a bug :
Soothsayers cannot be used to trigger floods on the floodplains tiles that are shown W of the starting location.

They can on every other floodplains tile on the map, so maybe it's because these 5 specific tiles were edited in?

Anyhow, it kinda ruins the whole GreatBath --> MassFloods --> MassFaith strategy that is particularly fun with Ethiopia, which may have been the point??

Honestly because of this I don't think I will finish this game and move on to Game B, since this whole strategy was my only reason to play a Prince game....

That shouldnt be an issue the whole map was made in World Builder. It should be the same river.

Confirmed you can't use soothsayers to trigger floods on the west floodplains tiles. I moved off the hill because additional floodplains + Great Bath are more important than the hill bonus. Assuming this isn't some type of stealth fix by Firaxis, kinda makes the floodplains to the west useless for Ethiopia.

Appreciate the effort to make the map and OCC flavor, but now I'll have to start over since the starting strategy Great Bath + max floodplains + Ethiopia is worthless.

cas

Confirmed you can't use soothsayers to trigger floods on the west floodplains tiles. I moved off the hill because additional floodplains + Great Bath are more important than the hill bonus. Assuming this isn't some type of stealth fix by Firaxis, kinda makes the floodplains to the west useless for Ethiopia.
It's not a stealth fix since the whole strategy still works on the river just to the E (started over to test it).

There's definitely something wrong with those tiles though, as I played my original game till T230 or so, and while there was a flood every couple of turns on my continent, there never was AN Y natural flood on this particular part of the river...

Game 2: Norway

- Where did you settle your city? I settled on the citrus, so I could work lots of 2 food/3 production yields from the start.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? I actually held off on Sailing for a while - pillaging too early in the game doesn't bring too many rewards, and runs the risk of leaving yourself open to barbarian invasion. I noticed the potential +6 campus spot pretty early and immediately went Mining -> Writing to build it as soon as possible. I also wanted an early Oracle and Temple of Artemis, so I researched the civics and techs necessary for that, as well as Irrigation and Bronze Working to clear the land underneath.

- What was your build order? Scout, Monument, Granary, (tribal village popped a Builder), Campus, Library, Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Viking Longship, Oracle, Temple of Artemis, Harbor.

- How soon did you build a District? How did you place your districts? Which ones did you prioritize? I saw a good +6 Campus spot in the northeast, so I prioritized it by turn 27. Then I went for a Harbor because I wanted the trade route and the housing from the Lighthouse. I grew to 7 population quickly, so I also positioned a Government Plaza to boost my Campus. I also fit in an Aqueduct, Industrial Zone and a Theater Square.

- Did you bother with Culture? Yes. I got culture from Pingala, as well as some lucky envoys and Nan Madol's suzerain bonus, but that was about it. Later on, I discovered Shipbuilding and suzerained Kumasi and Antananarivo. With Kilwa Kisiwani, my culture shot ahead of my science.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Natural Philosophy was an important one, because it got me another +7 science from my amazing campus. I had the Raid policy card plugged in for most of the game, even though I plundered more gold and faith than science and culture. Diplomatic League was a great card because I instantly got 2 envoys with several city-states.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? There seemed to be only 3 city-states on my starting continent, and I tried to cultivate Nan Madol but others quickly snapped it up. The other 12ish city-states were on the other continent - and I scouted them pretty quickly, cultivating them easily. Kilwa Kisiwani certainly helped too.

- Were your neighbors peaceful? Yes, but not to each other! Spain razed an English city early on, while Sweden and Germany went to war, and Poland and Netherlands also went to war. I was in a very sheltered position, which helped.

- Any surprises? Production was way higher than I needed it to be, and I had so much empty space between my build orders to pump out military or miscellaneous city-state quests. Housing was also surprising because I could strategically get a lot very quickly.

Last edited:
Game Ethiopia OOC. SIP, tried and thwarted at the same Great Bath tactic but thankfully I had a Plan B in place. And a Plan C. First turn of the Classical, about to set off an Apadana wonder-storm.

Spoiler :
upload_2020-12-4_12-5-32.png

Spoiler Addis on Turn 100 :

First time getting the Great Bath, only to find the same issue as other players! Ah well!

I’m going for a Religious victory. Converted everyone I met with early missionaries, now to get to cartography and sail my religion across the ocean blue.

100A - Ethiopia

- Where did you settle your city?

I settled in place for the Hills bonus of Ethiopia. My second choice would have been to settle on the Silver, but I prefered the SIP thanks to the many flood plains to the west that would come in handy with a Great Bath.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
My tech order was: Pottery, Mining, Astrology, Animal Husbrandry, Bronze Working, Writing, Currency

Pottery to start the Great Bath asap, Mining to enable chopping and get the Great Bath faster, Astrology for early Holy Site and religion

As Policies, I started with Discipline & God King, obviously to fight barbs and get a Pantheon. Later, I used Corvée for Wonder build bonus, and, when it was available, Scripture, that boosted my Holy Site to +20 Faith, +20 Production (with Work Ethics)

- What was your build order?
Scout, Scout, Great Bath, Builder, Holy Site (+10), Old God Obelisk, Oracle, Campus (+4)

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
I build Holy Site first as I wanted the first religion and wanted to boost my Faith early. When I found the +10 Holy Site (with Desert Folklore) it was an obvious choice to start with. Campus went second to ensure the Science boost and some of the good early Great Scientists.

- How did you place your districts?

Holy Site next to the two Eye of Sahara tiles (+10 with Desert Folklore), Campus next to the Geothermal (+4). I planned Government Plaza with Adjacency bonuses to a future Commercial Hub and Industrial Zone. Aqueduct as well planned next to IZ. Theatre Square was built next to my 3 wonders (+6)

- Did you bother with Culture??
Well, I built a good Theatre Zone and I had the Pingala bonus but it was not something I prioritzed.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Magnus for some early chops, Pingala was used the most for Science, Culture and Great People points. Amani was used to secure suzerainity.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

All 5 on my continent were cultivated. Brussels was the most useful as I built plenty of wonders. Unfortunately Nubia decided to capture Brussels and I didn't have any military power to start a war against them to protect.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?

Alexander declared a surprise war against me that I managed to fight back easily. It was a bit annoying that he had the Bandar Brunei as suzerain but no real damage was made.

- Any surprises?

There was no flood on my flood plains in the whole game so the Great Bath proved completely unuseful for me.

Screenshot Turn 100

Spoiler Turn 100 :

20201205222637_1.jpg

Turn Log first 100 turns
Spoiler Turn 100 :

T1: Moved Warrior 2xNW, discovered new continent, tribal village and mountains to the north. Settled in place due to the extra production and multiple flood plains that I will benefit from. First ring is bad, but I will try to extend it asap. Starts planning my city with Great bath, Oracle, Temple of Artemis, Petra, Theatre Square, Holy Site, Campus, Aqueduct and Industrial Zone.
T2: Tribal Village with +1 Pop
T3: Volcano Kone discovered to the West
T4: Met Ngazargamu, +1 envoy, Quest is to get Euroka for Astrology. Governor title from Envoy -> Magnus
T5: Solar flare coming, Scout produced and he discovers Eye of the Sahara to the north, nice +4 HS and +4 Campus spots that I will definitely use. I also get another Governor Title that I will use later for Pingala. Gets another Envoy in Ngazargamu.
T6: Bandar Brunei shows up to the south (Quest: Eureka for Writing), no envoy. Barb scout to the West. Scout meets Auckland, +1 envoy (Quest: Great General)
T7: Haboob dust storm arrives just north of my capital and improves 5 tiles.
T8: Haboob storm causes population loss in capital, back to 1 :(
T9: Purchases Oasis tile (3f 2p 1g) for 50g
T10: Meets Alexander
T12: Finds Scout in Tribal village, Meets Frederick, Finds Barb Camp Southwest of capital.
T13: 3rd Village popped for experience, still no Voidsingers :(
T15: CoL finished: Discipline & God King. 4th village, boost of Masonry and finally I get the Voidsingers
T16: Discovers Chocolate Hills & Mount Kilimanjaro in the same turn
T17: Clears Barb camp with Warrior
T19: Relic discovered in Village
T21: Meets Nubia, finds +20 faith in village. Nubia sends a delegation. Meets Brussels (Quest: Build Gov. Plaza)
T22: Alexander sends a delegation.
T23: Selects Desert Folklore as Pantheon to enable a +10 Holy Site next to Eye of Sahara
T24: Buys a builder for 200g to ensure I can chop out the Great Bath before anyone else
T26: Foreign Trade completed, Urban Planning slotted in. Great Bath completed. Reaches 25 Era score.
T28: Met Geneva, +1 envoy
T29: My Scout manages to kill a weak Spearman and clear a Barb Camp for the BW boost. Small mistake by me as I buy the tile for my +10 Holy Site and discovers that Desert Mountains only give +1 and not +2 with the Desert Folkore, so it is "only" a +8. I have to wait a few turns to buy the tile next to it for a real +10 HS
T30: ... only one turn actually as I find 40g in a village
T31: Frederick sends us a delegation. I send an envoy I found in a village to Brussels and appoints Amani there for the Wonder build boost
T35: My +10 Holy Site is completed
T36: Discovers the Sanguine pact as a scout destroys another Barb Camp. Slots in Agoge as I need to build a Slinger soon and not a lot of Barbs around me.
T37: Suzerain of Brussels, buys my first Soothsayer
T39: Wow, Iron discovered on my +10 Holy Site tile. Discovers that the Soothsayer can't flood the flood plains in my city. It seems to have been switched off.
T40: Buys a Trader and sends it to Bandar Brunei
T41: Hurricane kills 3 population in my city and I'm back to 1 Pop and. It also destroyed all my tile improvements (2 mines, 1 camp) and killed my Warrior who was healing in the city.
T60: Completes Oracle
T61: Enters Classical Era in Golden Age, selects Monumentality. Suzerain of Geneva
T64: Recrutits John the Baptist for 285 faith to ensure I get the first religion. Macedons declares surprise war on me. My army is on the way to the Volcano
T65: +4 Campus finished
T66: Founds religion: Work Ethic, Cross-Cultural Dialogue
T67: Political Philosophy, switches to Autocracy
T69: Builds 2 archers and upgrades my slingers. I have no problem to fight back the Macedons despite their Vampire
T70: First Rock-Hewn Church created
T73: Nubia defeats Brussels, there goes my +15% modifier for Wonder Building
T76: Researches Theology. Switches to Theology and slots in Scripture. My Holy Site is now +20 faith and +20 production
T77: Petra completed
T79: Temple of Artemis completed
T81: +6 Theatre Square completed
T82: Reaches 10 population
T83: Recruits Great General
T84: Great Scientist recruited
T88: Apadana completed
T90: Great Scientist recruited
T100: Commercial Hub completed

At Turn 100 I have:
1 City settled
Score 339