6otM140 AAR

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM140 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?

- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?
- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the game modes affect or impact your play?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
CV, turn 287/288

What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
Decided against a Reliquaries based approach as it was a King level game and thought enemy Apostles would appear quite late. So retreated into a standard Great Works/National Parks strategy.

- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?
Scout/slinger/settler. Holy Site was the first district; faith is so useful in CV games that I always feel you might as well have the benefit of a religion as well.

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
The usual for me: Astrology first, then straight to Horseback Riding, then Mining.

- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
The free Eurekas were nice, but come into play relatively late and didn't really have much of an impact on my game.

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
Settled about 6 or 7 and then decided I needed some lebensraum and had to take out Pericles. Settled a bunch more at the end of Golden Monumentality Renaissance for good National Park locations, settled one way across the Inland Sea to be a base for trade routes to distant civs, had a few late game conversions due to loyalty pressure.

- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
Built very few Wonders (can only recall building Forbidden City). Prioritized Theater Squares of course and Holy Sites. Built enough of a military to take out Pericles, then didn't have to bother with military for the rest of the game.

- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
Divine Spark was already taken, so ended up going with Earth Goddess for the faith. This actually had a large impact on the game: usually I take Divine Spark as it helps me get a Religion faster with a single Holy Site. But without it I had to run multiple Prayer projects, with each one taking a lengthy 6 turns. I had wanted, given the map, to get one of the first 2 religions so I could take Choral Music or Feed the World, but ended up just missing out and got the third religion. Took my usual Work Ethic and Tithe; Crusade was also very helpful in taking out Pericles.

- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
Classical republic to Autocracy to Monarchy to Theocracy to Democracy to a Tier 4 government- I forget which one.

- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
Pingala promoted to Curator, Moksha promoted to Divine Architect, Reyna. Only used those 3. Always seem to end up with spare Governor titles I don't seem to know what to do with. (Bad grammar I know).

- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
Was denounced by the whole world for a long time after eliminating Pericles- didn't want to eliminate him but leaving just a city or two was impractical for loyalty issues. Once the denunciations abated was culturally allied c Netherlands for some time, again to negate loyalty issues in edge cities.

- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
Normal Classical, all Golden thereafter.

- How did the game modes affect or impact your play?
N/R

- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
The map itself was the biggest opponent. Lack of rivers made Commercial Hubs less attractive, so ended up building a bunch of Harbors first. Felt forced to go to war to have enough expansion room (well, could have settled more towards tundra, but wanted to be closer to other civs for trade/rock band access etc). Australia ended up being the biggest cultural defender, which was unfortunate, as he was the furthest distant. Normally I might consider destroying a runaway cultural defender but this would have required too great a distraction from building up my own tourism and I just didn't want to bother.

- Did you enjoy your game?
Yes, surprisingly challenging game for a King level game, at least for me. Kudos.

Attachments

• GOTM 140 CV KUBLAI CHINA 288 .Civ6Save
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
OK, so I'll take the opportunity to ask a few questions based on this game, so hopefully I can strategize better next time.

First: Open Borders. I'm always careless about maintaining Open Borders for the 25% tourism boost, but tried to do better this time. But do Borders have to be open both ways for the boost to accrue? That is, do *you* as the player also have to give Open Borders to the AI, as well as having secured Open Borders from the AI? The AI usually demands payment in order for you to open your borders to them (this never makes sense to me, but there it is), so wondering if this is necessary.

Second: National Park vs Rock Band. What's the best use of faith nearing the end game? In this game I had terrible luck with Rock Bands. Built about 12, 9 of which died after the first performance, none of which had more then 3 performances, only 2 ever got even a single promotion. But towards the end a Naturalist was costing me about 1200 faith, and a Rock Band just a little more. So if you suspect that you have, say, 30 more turns until you can reasonably get to victory- is it better to buy a National Park or a Rock Band? In this game, an average National Park may give 15 tourism, but each turn it would be accrued against 11 other civs, correct (Pericles and Kupe were gone)? So I would have a functional tourism pressure of 165/turn, which over 30 turns might accumulate to 4950 total tourism. Am I thinking about this correctly? Of course a well promoted Rock Band can give 14000 tourism with a single performance, but mine on average were probably only giving me ~1500 tourism total before dying. I'm thinking I probably would have been better off just buying more National Parks. Am I wrong in my thinking here?

Finally, I had terrible promotions for Rock Bands, just awful. Only got Album Cover Art once, never got Goes to 11, never got the one for Campuses nor for Theater Squares. Finally got to Hallyu literally the turn before the game ended. But see below: I have a promoted Rock Band that performs higher on ECs. But as you can see, in Gorgo's territory I am allowed to perform on other tiles, but not on the EC that was present. I *was* allowed to perform on an EC in Bull Moose's territory. Can anyone explain what's going on?

Rock Band Question.png

First: Open Borders. But do Borders have to be open both ways for the boost to accrue? That is, do *you* as the player also have to give Open Borders to the AI, as well as having secured Open Borders from the AI? T

Second: National Park vs Rock Band. What's the best use of faith nearing the end game?

Finally, I had terrible promotions for Rock Bands, just awful. Only got Album Cover Art once, never got Goes to 11, never got the one for Campuses nor for Theater Squares. Finally got to Hallyu literally the turn before the game ended. But see below: I have a promoted Rock Band that performs higher on ECs. But as you can see, in Gorgo's territory I am allowed to perform on other tiles, but not on the EC that was present. I *was* allowed to perform on an EC in Bull Moose's territory. Can anyone explain what's going on?
1) They AI has to give you open borders, but you don't have to give it back.
2) It depends. I think you have a pretty good analysis there and is generally whichever will create the most culture before you will win. One exception is if there is one civ that has significantly higher culture than the others, then rock bands are worth targeting that civ.
3) Not sure on this one.

Resign around T75. It jut felt like everything was going wrong and the game stopped being fun. My plan was to just spam Great Wall segments and emphasize Science to get to Flight, if I have time I will re-play and see if it works.

Started out well enough. I moved one tile NE in order to place my first Campus or Holy Site near all the mountains for the Era Score. Got Astrology from a hut and met Jerusalem in time for a free envoy. Went Monument->Settler->Purchased Builder->Holy Site and set up the second city to the SE.

First disappointment was missing out on Religious Settlements. Thought it might be possible with the early envoy and God King on King difficulty but no dice. Took Craftsman. I purchased a HM from the barbs and that one unit was enough to both captured a Settler from Greece and conquer there closest city (thanks to Jerusalem hitting it with some Warriors too).

I was lagging way behind in Era Score but got the +3 Holy Site up and settled my third city for +4 Era Score (+1 for close to enemy, +1 for close to Volcano and +2 for new continent). Purchasing a Horseman from the barbarians was worth +2 more but just could not catch a break and missed out by 1 point after:

1. I had Original Warrior next to an empty camp but a Warrior spawned between turns so I couldn't clear it.
2. Found a hut but my Warrior was redlined and a barb HM blocked the hut.
3. Ran two Holy Site prayers but ended up 4GP points short of getting a Great Prophet (I can never remember how many GP points projects yield but thought I had enough).
4. Couldn't find a third CS for PP, meet another AI (met 4 at this stage), or find a natural wonder, all of which would have triggered the Golden Age.

Annoyed to miss the Golden Age, I stuck it out but then three more setbacks occurred.

First, I had just stabilized the captured Greek city at -0.3 Loyalty with Liminati, a garrison, and a governor and would have it at +2.3 next turn when I hooked up Wine. But the Greek capital went up 1 pop between turns and dropped it all the way to -6.3. Two turns later it flipped.

I figured I could get it back after taking the Greek capital. I had two HM and a Sword (hired from barbarians) and knocked the city down to 87, but couldn't siege the city due to a one-tile lake. However, a barbarian Warrior stalled my Sword one turn with ZOC and another hit a HM. Then a Hoplite out of the fog redlined the HM and I had to pull out. The annoying thing about the Hoplite in the fog is it should have been visible since I controlled Caguana, but that bug that keeps you from gaining Shared Vision if you are not the first Suzerain was active again.

Oh well, play on. But then Greece took control of Jerusalem. My captured Settler was adjacent to a Jerusalem Warrior, and it captured the Settler after Greece's turn but before mine. I went from looking at having 6 cities on T70 to being stuck on 3 cities.

With that, I threw in the towel.....

206 CV

Spoiler t207 :
20220807233632_1.jpg

Wow, that game was really tough.

I decided that on king I can steamroll the game with a good capital, so I went really far away from the awful starting location, until I settled by the inland sea.
After placing my second city I met Pericles, who declared war on me 3 turns later with 3 warriors right at my second city. I had to take Victor there to defend, and also spend all of my resources on buying emergency units. I barely avoided losing the city after Pericles decided to go after my units instead of taking the city.

I was extremelly behind with no cities, no early wonders, no districts at all, and little exploration - just a bunch of warriors. I decided to go for some revenge and started a rampage with my army, getting Greece (Pericles), America, Sweden, Greece (Gorgo) and Netherlands. Everyone was disgusted with my so the lack of trading really hurt.
My saving grace was that one of the Barbarian Clans fliped to Rapa Nui... which meant I had a win condition:

Spoiler The Collosalheadlands :
20220807233601_1.jpg

Pillaging half the continent got me up to Flight, and then it was a matter of time. However the landscape, enemies and barbarians everywhere made the game more demanding than a lot of my Diety games.

Great save, it went really poorly for me, but sometime it just happens ;)
Thanks for the game

Attachments

• AutoSave_0207.Civ6Save
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
Started with 2 cities 3 scouts,4 slingers and 2 warriors to conquer half of the map and discover all the nations.
I got late building trade route ,wonders and culture infrastructure ,no religion of my own.got the culture/pasture pantheon and all GA
First 2 were paint brush.
Also very latest discovering a natural wonder
Got Korea as ally the all game.
won the game with 6/7 rock band built from a western built city
Great game
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.10.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 3.10.40 PM.png
    13.4 MB · Views: 55
  • CV-(CHINA) 207 1460 AD.Civ6Save
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
CV 280. My goal was to get flight quickly and win by improvements. I think I'd never really built great walls before, now I had 55 of them, 56 moais and about 7 bateys. 11 cities provided plenty of space for them in this peaceful game. I think inland sea should always be populated with this many AI's, as usually there is way too much free space everywhere and it gets boring to settle so much.

Only had 2 rockbands, the first died on their first gig and the second did not manage to do a single gig before victory. Quite a fun game and surprisingly challenging on this level, took a long time to finally reach CV. Gorgo was the cultural AI leader for me.

Attachments

• KUBLAI KHAN (CHINA) 280 1818 AD.Civ6Save
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
Console player here, just discovered these so wanted to give it a go, but not participating in an official capacity. Im typing on mobile, so i will keep this short, but I had a lot of fun with this challenge!

CV 303, 1200 or so score? I lost a city to barbs early on, so I thought the game was going south, but I persevered and rebuilt. One thing I learned new was the power of holy relics early on. I generated a ton of tourists from the relics alone, and I won't overlook them in my next cultural game.

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.
You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

T227 - CV

Thanks for this Game! It was a lot of fun. I had never played with this Civ Leader and decided from the start to focus on the Great Wall as the primary culture generator along with a peaceful game. I pushed hard for a religion at the start and managed to get the pantheon for faith/production from strategic resources. I ended up 1 turn behind Peter and he took Feed the World and immediately sent a missionary my way so I made the decision to let him convert me and didn't found a religion, just sent my prophet scouting. I already had enough points for a golden and I managed golden ages the rest of the game on progression, firsts for resources use, wonders, and LOTs of barb clears in the eras where it counted - endless spawning in the snow.
I managed 104 sections of the Great Wall - 2 internal curtains and one length that stretched almost from sea to sea and encompassed almost all my cities - lots of pins, builders, and tile discounts.
Spoiler Screenshot of Walls :
gotm140-wall.png

Spoiler Full Civ Picture :
gotm140-Civ.png

So many city states popped up from barb clans - I made sure to get as many with 2 envoys on first meet and focused on Kilwa to boost my empire - Forbidden City and Potala Palace for the extra cards, Collosus for the the trade route and Oxford for Science boost late for Computers. Late game I got Broadway, Sydney Opera House, Bolshoi and Christo Redentor (sp?) plus St. Basils in a snow city. Built mostly HS, CH, Harbor, and a mix of Campus and IZ (for wonder engineers, ran the card for a long time to boost).
I never founded my own religion and had the entire map explored my scout/GP by the end. I was 1 turn from founding a city on the north side of the lake from a captured settler to get trade routes to Japan/Korea/Australia. I had routes to 8 of the AI, 6 of them from the 2nd or 3rd era. I was friends with everyone - ran all Alliances except Culture when it got close to level 3. Gorgo would never become friends with me and took out Caguana very late in the game.
I did not use any rock bands - I did have 3 national parks and a handful of Maoi. Focused on the combo of tech/civics and open borders plus trading to boost tourism. I unlocked the 50% to trade routes card the turn I won and did not have to use it to get the victory. The Dutch killed poor Kupe mid-game as he didn't build walls - he had only one city but it was a beast with the Great Barrier reef and had him near the top until then.
I built Theatre Squares very late and primarily bought all my great works to boost tourism. I started buying great people at the end when the AI stopped selling - on the turn before victory I had purchased one of each, which can be seen at the capital.
I spent the monumentality ages spamming settlers and builders - ended up with 16 cities and would have added one the next turn. The lack of rivers was mitigated for some cities with Feed the World and I finally picked up Nam Madol (or culture CS that give housing as if from fresh water) late in the game. The utter lack of rivers was an interesting challenge and made me skip some favorite wonders but I don't think it really slowed the win down. I'm sure if I had sent a few rock bands to Pericles I could have shaved off a dozen or two turns as he was the only holdout just after turn 200.
Thanks again for a wonderful game - it was very relaxed and challenging even if the AI didn't put up much of a fight - the barbs kept my troops busy and let me get a number of boosts.
PS - The Russian city was a loyalty flip. Also, the Great Wall is wonderful for generating lots of money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom