6otM158 AAR

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM157 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the game modes affect or impact your play?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

CV, turn 156/157

I haven't even finished the Hungary or Yongle games yet, but this cropped up and there has been so much talk about Ludwig that I had to try it. And then it was such ridiculously cheesy fun I played it all the way through. I wasn't playing with much forethought, I got swamped by barbs for about 20 turns up front, which made me miss the Classical Golden Age, and also made me very slow to meet every civ, plus I did not get an early relic (Sundiata and Nader Shah both did, which helped their cultural defense a lot), and I captured Ra-Kedet in the ancient with 3 warriors and then 60 turns later got an Emergency declared on me. Was also slow to get to Castles and Printing. All of which is to say that I expect someone better controlled than me will probably win this in less than 125 turns, maybe even less than100 turns? I also didn't abuse the unbuilt Wonder phenomenon- mostly whenever I started a Wonder I finished it. But I did build a ton of Wonders. Since I'm the first to post:

What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
1. Get the Dance of the Aurora pantheon with Work Ethic, then use the massive production to build tons of Wonders.
2. Suz Rapa Nui and build Moai everywhere I could. Didn't realize at first that you couldn't build them next to woods/rainforest or I would have been more efficient still. Rapa Nui was the only city state I put any envoys into until about 5 turns from the end, when I suzed Caguana for the heck of it.
3. Build theater squares and capture all early Great Writers.

Started with builder, then Settler, then Holy Site. 2nd city laid down the second Holy Site immediately. BUt I got swarmed by barbs that kept pillaging the Holy Sites and also my improved horse tile, and kept me from exploring much. So I missed the Golden Classical. But it wasn't terrible- the 2nd city was able to knock out Settlers in 3 turns, and I used all the saved faith from missing Monumentality on the first Wonder engineer, who immediately built Mausoleum, Petra, and Mahabodhi.

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
Astrology first of course, then mining, then horseback riding. But mostly any tech or civic that would unlock a Wonder I wanted to build.

- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
Definitely a game in which the leader ability governed just about everything I did in the game.

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
Settled nine, conquered Ra-Kedet early, conquered Zanzibar when they declared an Emergency on me just because i could, and had one tiny late Egyptian city flip to me from loyalty. Importantly, the capital buily ToA and Hanging Gardens, and the 2nd city built Great Bath and Etemenanki, so they were both populous and highly productive without much effort despite being situated half in tundra.

- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting? Built enough military finally to fend everyone off, but o/w concentrated on holy sites and theater squares. Hansa came much later but were still helpful. Only built 2 campuses and then very late - that was probably a mistake and could have gotten to Castles and Printing earlier if I had.

Dance of the Aurora of course. Lucky that Russia wasn't in the game. Work Ethic/Tithe, then Stupa and Religious Colonization (in case I needed to settle on the other continent- which I just discovered but never had to bother with. )

Oligarchy (to take down Ra-Kedet with 3 warriors) then Classical republic, then Monarchy.

Magnus with Provision first, then Moksha promoted to Divine Architect, then finally Pingala with Researcher and Grants.

No real diplomacy. Was denounced for a long time after taking Ra-Kedet, then after that had finally worn off I had an Emergency declared on me for it 60 turns later. Which is just dumb- they should change that. I did finally mange to buy the relic of Sundiata, who was the main culture defender.

Missed the Golden Classical, then exceeded the score threshold by 60 Era score to get a Golden Medieval. Game ended in the Medieval but I had accumulated 80% of the required Era score in the 1st five turns of the Medieval period.

Eh- if I had bothered to plan better and get a bit more science this could probably have been a fair bit faster, but it's still my fastest CV without Monopolies Mode or Magnificent Catherine. Ludwig on Prince is just ridiculous.

Yes. It was like eating a dessert that you know is way too sweet but you can't help eating it anyway. Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• GOTM 158 Ludwig CV 157.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Culture Victory Turn 227 Score 1088

I was aiming for a Diplomatic victory by trying to get the AI's to ask for Military Aid Requests, by constantly starting wars, pillaging everything and razing their cities. Unfortunately they didn't do so often enough and I was only up to 8 Diplo points when I won Culturally. In 12 more turns I would have only reached 12 Diplo points. However, I did end up with a Lot of Warrior Monk Corps even though I lost a lot of warrior monks.

20230504210839_1.jpg

Attachments

• 6otM158 Cult Vic T227 S1088.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
CV, turn 156/157

I haven't even finished the Hungary or Yongle games yet, but this cropped up and there has been so much talk about Ludwig that I had to try it. And then it was such ridiculously cheesy fun I played it all the way through. I wasn't playing with much forethought, I got swamped by barbs for about 20 turns up front, which made me miss the Classical Golden Age, and also made me very slow to meet every civ, plus I did not get an early relic (Sundiata and Nader Shah both did, which helped their cultural defense a lot), and I captured Ra-Kedet in the ancient with 3 warriors and then 60 turns later got an Emergency declared on me. Was also slow to get to Castles and Printing. All of which is to say that I expect someone better controlled than me will probably win this in less than 125 turns, maybe even less than100 turns? I also didn't abuse the unbuilt Wonder phenomenon- mostly whenever I started a Wonder I finished it. But I did build a ton of Wonders. Since I'm the first to post:

What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
1. Get the Dance of the Aurora pantheon with Work Ethic, then use the massive production to build tons of Wonders.
2. Suz Rapa Nui and build Moai everywhere I could. Didn't realize at first that you couldn't build them next to woods/rainforest or I would have been more efficient still. Rapa Nui was the only city state I put any envoys into until about 5 turns from the end, when I suzed Caguana for the heck of it.
3. Build theater squares and capture all early Great Writers.

Started with builder, then Settler, then Holy Site. 2nd city laid down the second Holy Site immediately. BUt I got swarmed by barbs that kept pillaging the Holy Sites and also my improved horse tile, and kept me from exploring much. So I missed the Golden Classical. But it wasn't terrible- the 2nd city was able to knock out Settlers in 3 turns, and I used all the saved faith from missing Monumentality on the first Wonder engineer, who immediately built Mausoleum, Petra, and Mahabodhi.

Astrology first of course, then mining, then horseback riding. But mostly any tech or civic that would unlock a Wonder I wanted to build.

Definitely a game in which the leader ability governed just about everything I did in the game.

Settled nine, conquered Ra-Kedet early, conquered Zanzibar when they declared an Emergency on me just because i could, and had one tiny late Egyptian city flip to me from loyalty. Importantly, the capital buily ToA and Hanging Gardens, and the 2nd city built Great Bath and Etemenanki, so they were both populous and highly productive without much effort despite being situated half in tundra.

- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting? Built enough military finally to fend everyone off, but o/w concentrated on holy sites and theater squares. Hansa came much later but were still helpful. Only built 2 campuses and then very late - that was probably a mistake and could have gotten to Castles and Printing earlier if I had.

Dance of the Aurora of course. Lucky that Russia wasn't in the game. Work Ethic/Tithe, then Stupa and Religious Colonization (in case I needed to settle on the other continent- which I just discovered but never had to bother with. )

Oligarchy (to take down Ra-Kedet with 3 warriors) then Classical republic, then Monarchy.

Magnus with Provision first, then Moksha promoted to Divine Architect, then finally Pingala with Researcher and Grants.

No real diplomacy. Was denounced for a long time after taking Ra-Kedet, then after that had finally worn off I had an Emergency declared on me for it 60 turns later. Which is just dumb- they should change that. I did finally mange to buy the relic of Sundiata, who was the main culture defender.

Missed the Golden Classical, then exceeded the score threshold by 60 Era score to get a Golden Medieval. Game ended in the Medieval but I had accumulated 80% of the required Era score in the 1st five turns of the Medieval period.

Eh- if I had bothered to plan better and get a bit more science this could probably have been a fair bit faster, but it's still my fastest CV without Monopolies Mode or Magnificent Catherine. Ludwig on Prince is just ridiculous.

Yes. It was like eating a dessert that you know is way too sweet but you can't help eating it anyway. Thanks for the game!
Browsed the Savegame, noticed that one holy site was generating science too. I tried to figure out how, asking openai for all sources of equal science to faith and the hinted towards Hildegard when i found out myself. This is the reply, very creative:

I apologize for the oversight in my previous response. You are correct that the bonus of generating Science equal to Faith in Holy Sites is associated with the leader Hildegard of Bingen, who leads the civilization of Germany in Civilization 6.
Her unique ability, "Wir sind das Volk," grants a bonus of +1 Science and +1 Culture for every Holy Site and Theater Square district that is adjacent to a district of a different type. Additionally, she has a unique building called the "Pfalz," which can be constructed in the Holy Site district. The Pfalz provides bonus Faith and bonus Science equal to the adjacency bonus of the Holy Site district.
Therefore, if you have Hildegard of Bingen as your leader and you build a Pfalz in a Holy Site district with an adjacency bonus of +4 Faith, the Pfalz will also provide an additional +4 Science for a total of +8 Science generated by the Holy Site. This makes Germany a powerful civilization for generating Science through their Holy Sites.

Turn 206(1450.) culture victory, score 874.
I settled the best locations in new world. Besides usual cultural infrastructure, I built many city state specific cultural improvements.

Attachments

• r6otM158.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.
You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Ok. Finished the game with CV in 192 turns. But probably I could have finished it around 10 turns earlier if I would have started pushing the threaters a bit early. Really fun game. Never had I used Work Ethic Pantheon before, but here it was awesome. Also preserves were very helpful. Since a while I've started enjoying Presevers, which previously I thought were completely useless districts. Now I've found how powerful these are in specific situations.

Top Bottom