6otM24 After Action

In hindsight, I definitely agree that patience (don't send an army until you've seen the capitals) and planning were the way to go on this map.
Hmm no, @Eyswein got there faster by blundering along and being pillaged at sea, just seeing next enemy. I was just saying I played that way and really enjoyed the control.

DV at 211 turn.

My first dom vic on island map, so I made many mistakes. Too many water units I guess and I started land attacking too late. Should have taken care of inland capitals first because taking costal cities is much simplier and quicker than I thought. The last two civs - Japan and America took me very long because they were a bit better in techs. I had to get some good military techs and only then upgrade my army.

I admire Your wins below 140 turn :)

Attachments

• 6otM24 rome domination 211t win.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
My first dom vic on island map, so I made many mistakes
Hopefully you are learning and more importantly enjoying. And also hopefully you can see <T140 is not by any means impossible and we make mistakes also.
There is some really good players out there that can probably do sub 120

My first dom vic on island map, so I made many mistakes. Too many water units I guess and I started land attacking too late. Should have taken care of inland capitals first because taking costal cities is much simplier and quicker than I thought. The last two civs - Japan and America took me very long because they were a bit better in techs. I had to get some good military techs and only then upgrade my army.

I admire Your wins below 140 turn :)

GOTM is a great learning environment - same start by all so definitely can see the different play styles. When I first started playing GOTM6 I'd usually play about 100 turns, never finish, but try to figure out what others were doing that I wasn't. Lot's of earlier posts by Whacker, Lily Lancer, Victoria, and others that really helped me figure out how to play better for faster wins. And not just about fast, some like different play styles that take more turns, but can be more enjoyable - love to see those also!

Last edited:
Yeah thanks for Your precise posts, I'll definately try to analise it.
For example I don't chop at all or rarely which can give as I read some nice boost. There are many small things to change.

DV @ turn 188
This is my second dom victory, after the last 6otM, where it took 192 turns. This was an interesting game on a very surprising map, not at all what I expected.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
8 settled and another 13 captured.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
I did not rush legions, as there was no one to use them on, went for settlers to colonize Rome Island, then for naval techs, knights, muskets, field cannons and infantry. After that it did not matter.

- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
No one. I just took capitals and nearby cities that were in the way.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
Started with a force of legions with Sun Tzu. Used them to take Pokrovka followed by Uruk. At this point I built a force of HC at home and sent them across the sea to Egypt's iron city, as it still had a defence <20. However, when I landed them Cleo built the first knights so it was a catch 22 - I had no iron to upgrade to knights myself and I had no friendly city nearby either. I got iron by suzeraining Hattusa and captured an English settler that wandered around my army. This cavalry force took Cleo's iron city, followed by Ra-Kedet, London and Rio, while the legions (upgraded to muskets and infantry) moved on Kyoto and Washington.

- What was your most useful unit?
Don't really know. Maybe the frigates I used to clear the seas of barbarians and protect the army en route?

- Was diplomacy useful? How?
Not really, everyone started denouncing me but they were very weak militarily so no one attacked. By far, Tomyris was strongest but I took her out first, together with a few key cities to make sure she did not recover.

- Were City-States helpful?
Yes. This time I found most of them early, and got plenty of envoys to science CS.

- What was your strategy, what order did you take your opponents out in?
Once I could jump in the water, I attacked Tomyris, followed by the other empires one by one.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Well the major setback happened when attempting to attack Cleo with outdated units, which caused a delay of up to 10 turns, as described above. Also, the AI's (except Tomyris) seemed very weak militarily. They mostly defended using cities and walled encampments, with very few units. Barbarians were also running amok on the map close to AI borders and were the biggest threat to my embarked units. Hojo for instance had a very well prepared defensive setup with overlapping cities and encampments placed in choke-points surrounded by mountains. With a few crossbows, he could have really delayed my action.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, thank you!

Attachments

• 6otM24_Rome_T188.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
T189 DV. 748 Points

Built 1 early settler, then 4 more with colonization card. Captured 2 Egyptian settlers with a galley, and settled them on Egypt's landmass. Captured another settler much later and settled on horses. Captured another Japanese settler in the final turns.
Captured cities: 5 from Egypt, 2 from England, 1 from Sumer, 3 from Brazil, 2 from Scythia, 3 from Japan, and 2 from America.

Focused on naval techs: Shipbuilding to move my Legions, Cartography and Square Rigging to upgrade my boats and scout for capitals.

Took out Cleo with Legions.

I built 3 slingers before I realized I was isolated. So I used them for maintenance-free fog busting. I made 7 Legions to take out the first civ I could get to (Egypt), 5 caravels and 6 frigates to conquer coastal cities, and 23 cavalry (overkill) to take out the final non-coastal capitals. Plus a few random units for eurekas, inspirations, and CS quests.

On this map, frigates.

The first 100 turns or so were peaceful, and I managed some resource trades, but never an alliance (We'll see how the patch changes this).

Nothing extraordinary. Lisbon probably saved a couple of my traders, and Kandy gave me a few relics.

The isolated start. I settled some coastal cities ASAP so I could make galleys and start exploring.

Ya, thanks to the administrators for an interesting game. I've never played a watery map before.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 189 1280 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Domination victory on turn 121 with 589 points

Rules :
No culture items or city trading + no joint wars

Game version :
No fall patch on OSX yet.

Submisson after closing.

Settlers built = 4
Settled cities = 7
Captured cities = 19

Tech

Writing > Bronze working > Shipbuilding > Iron working > Engineering > Cartography > Military Engineering > Gunpowder

Civics
Political Philosophy > Feudalism > Mercenaries > Medieval Faires > Mercantilism

No one.

As the game was announced as Continents I went for Slinger first.
Realised I was on an island just before spamming units and changed for two settlers and 2 galleys.
Once I spotted Tomyris I built 11 warriors.
Later I added a galley for a quest and towards the end two Quadriremes upgraded to Frigates.

Legions and battering rams once I remembered to build them.

As usual on domination, provide gold and open borders to scout. I quickly piled up huge warmonger penalties.

I discovered Geneva early which was instrumental on reaching Shipbuilding faste. Later I became suzerain of Stockholm and Hattusha, their bonus helped a lot.
I also raised envoys in both commercial CS.

- What was your strategy, what order did you take your opponents out in?
Focus on campus before encampment to get legions quickly.
I got up to 11 warriors plus my archer.
First army of 7 warriors and archer went for Tomyris which was close and had no walls. Then they were supposed to split in two while the last 4 warriors would grab Toronto (for trade routes) on their way to Cleopatra.
I ended up in a 30 turns war against Tomyris ! Porkrovka walled up two turns before I planned to attack with warriors. I had to divert to them to take Gelonus and upgrade to Legions and buy a battering ram before I could attempt the capital again. By that time she would have gotten Sun Tzu before me so I first concentrated on destroying her Encampment. That only left a 2 tile passage where I could not front enough Legions to remove her Horsemen faster than she built them. So had to take Buenos Aires before I could at last lay siege to the capital.
After that the army split on 3 Legions, 1 Archer and 1 galley to attack Gilgamesh. As when I got there he had walls and I had the tech to upgrade all my units I started to take another city without walls and upgraded. After it went for Japan where it met the third army that had dealt with Cleopatra.
The rest of the first army, including the GG, was joined by a Galley upgraded to Caravel and went for England, then Brazil and finished with America.

I thought the delay with Tomyris would have killed my finishing date but everyone else opposed no resistance to my armies as I could front my 3-4 Legions everywhere. I encountered almost no opposing military units.

None aside from the map being big islands rather that the continents announced.
Why lie on the map type ??? If you want it to be a surprise just don't specify a type but don't lie about it. I didn't like that.

I loved that there was no Tribal Villages because it forces you to plan every Eureka and Inspiration. The range of usefulness of rewards is too wide I think, from for example the useless Sailing eureka one turn before settling a coastal city to a relic in a religious game.
In a simple solo game it nice because it makes each game unique. In the spirit of the 6oTM contest of comparing our strategies I think it detrimental.

Anyway, thanks again for all the effort.

Attachments

• 6otM24 Domination 121.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
Top Bottom