1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] 6otM33 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

At turn 100 I have put India out of the game, and captured Tamar's capital. She has three cities left, but I took her really sweet peace deal, and will take her last three cities off her when the 10 turns of peace runs out (and I have upgraded to Knights and X-bows). I'm currently in first place with 365 score. second place is an unmet civ at 330, so I should be able to coast easily to a peaceful SV after eliminating Tamar.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    In place. 4 NE up the river

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    prioritized horseman techs and policies to get the jump on India and eliminate him before he got out of hand. plan was to dominate my continent before going peaceful for the SV

- What was your build order?
    scout, builder, slinger (I think)

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    just a few turns for India, and Tamar shortly after. but Zulus didn't show up till about turn 90. I guess cuz they are across the water.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    built a Campus first in the capital (turn 40 maybe?). didn't think I needed an Encampment for Great Generals, but I ended up building one anyway in my second city. haven't got a GG yet though.
    just got a Great Scientist though, and it's Abu (the Healer) who's pretty handy for war!

- Did you try to build any Wonders?
    I thought about the Temple of Artemis. looks like a cool Wonder! but before I thought about it again, somebody else had built it. maybe next game :)
    Then later (around turn 80? it became apparent that Mandurai (the first city I took from India) would be a great Petra city, and it looked like I actually had a chance to get it. So started building it, moved Magnus there, and chop, chop I had it done by turn 100. Mandurai is an awesome production city now.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    yes. built 6 (including the capital), captured four from India (one of which was Kabul), three from Tamar. took the first Indian city with Archers and Warrior. Varu appeared, and I had to wait for horsemen to take the rest of India's cities. Also took Kumasi but liberated it for the culture.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Took God-King and Discipline early, then later prioritized Maneuver and Conscription. switched out of God-King when my scout stumbled upon a 20 point faith prize and I was able to get my favourite Pantheon (God of the Open Sky).

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - I chose Pingalas first for my Capital with the Campus. but ended up moving him to the first Indian city I captured since it was having terrible Loyalty issues there (Dark Age, plus the rest of the Indian cities up there). I don't know how likely cities are to revolt once Loyalty goes to zero, but I didn't want to find out. He slowed the Loyalty loss suffiently till I was able to take more Indian cities ..which helped a LOT! :)
    - I took Magnus as the second Gov. great guy, very helpful in building Districts and Petra.
    - I took Reyna third, mostly to help with Loyalty issues after I took some cities from Tamar. but she should be very useful for income later

- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    - YES, I tried to avoid it, but ran out of time. Dark age wasn't so bad though, Loyalty problems were a pain, but I took the Twilight Valour Dark Age card, which was awesome for my Horseman rush.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - I'm Suz of Brussels, Nan_Madol, and Kumasi (which I liberated from India). I didn't liberate Kabul which fell early to India, but kept it.
    - I see Lisbon is now a Tamar city (never met Lisbon before it fell). I will probably liberate it.

- How were the Barbarians?
    -not too bad really, but I built 4 slingers early and upgraded earlyto archers.

- Any surprises?
    1. I really like the new Rise and Fall game mechanics, way better than I expected:
    - the dark age / golden age thing. Adds some interest and fun. Even Dark age is kinda fun. I'm in a Heroic age now.
    - the loyalty mechanics - I like it and I think it makes sense and hopefully will stop AI settlers from plopping down in my territory.
    - the Governors, nice feature. I probably wont use the Religious and Military and Diplomatic guys much though
    2. the Scottish background music is super annoying. I think the bagpipes have got to be the worst musical ever invented by humankind. :)
    3. game seems a little slower somehow (the boosts are less now?), and science per population is weaker? not a bad thing, just an observation. slower but more interesting.
    4. Horseman Rush is still the META. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought they might nerf that a bit.

2. soulvius@

soulvius@ Chieftain

I'm sure all of you has already finished this game, but i just started it. I'm at turn 100 6 cities, religion in the Medieval. I played it with the new update. I prevented India from taking Kumasi, but failed to do so with the military CS (cant remember his name), who then got razed by barbs around turn 40. I played safely traded my goods to Tamar, having a solid military to war India when he went for Kumasi. He did that 3 times. I got surprised warred aroud turn 70 by Zulu and Georgia, but they didn't have much units. In sum, I don't have many friends on this continent except for Brussels and Kumasi. Looking forward to explore the world and find some friends. At turn 100 I'm making districts and settlers to colonize the remaining parts of my land. Tried Mahabudhi but i was denied by an unknown player.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

I settled 1 tile NE to not lose the Ivory and the plains hills jungle. My 2nd city was to my south towards Tamar to get the tea for free and some nice mountains. My 3rd city came immediately after to secure some hills to my east, which resulted to be a good choice since they also had iron.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

I went for archery to stand a chance against Varus. Then I did astrology because i had a "Trigger inspiration for State Workforce", then Bronze Working. Once I saw iron i went Iron Working, then Irrigation, Masonry, Sailing, Apprenticeship.

- What was your build order?

I have no idea. I think it was Slinger, Scout, Warrior, Settler, Builder. Bought a Scout and a Settler from the money I traded away. Then I pumped archers from 3 cities. Built 1 more swordsmen later, and 2 Galleys, that's my whole military.

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

They were never nice. India especially hated me for being close to him, he settled his 2nd city near my capital and took the military CS, so he didn't like me. I was denounced the whole time. I met India around turn 6, and Tamar turn 25, I met the Zulu turn 50ish. Tamar and Shaka surprised warred me, and I was declaring formal wars on India every time he tried to kill Kumasi.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I built a Holy Site quite quickly to complete a CS quest. Then I built another, i've built a Campus, a Theatre square, and I'm constructing 1 more Campus and Holy Site. Looking forward to build 2 harbors, and another Theatre Square.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?

Yes, Mahabodhi. I surprisingly got access to it quite fast so I gave it a try. I was 14 turns short (didn't start constructing immediately, I think if I did I would've got it)

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Not so much. I prioritized expansion and development, so I only made 5 cities but their tiles are all improved. I was also trying to keep India at bay and prevent Tamar from spreading her religion.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Wow, no idea. I think I did barb card first, then I did the +production for military units for my archer wave, after that settler and free upkeep card, then builders, then naval units, doing settlers again atm.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?

I chose Amani to get Kumasi fast, I like being suz. Then I chose Magnus for the 100% chops, and Pingala for the great person points and faster construction.

- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?

No, it was a normal age. and at turn 96 I entered a golden age. Now I try to get up my religion on the continent.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

I met the military CS who died really fast. I met Kumasi which i suzed. Then when Tamar and Shaka attacked me I suzed Brussels. I also met Lisbon, Nan-Madol and Geneve in this order. Lisbon and Nan-Madol are allies of Tamar.

- How were the Barbarians?

Crazy like always. I managed to keep them at bay but India AI couldn't he lost the military CS to them. My archers helped.

- Any surprises?

I was surprised when I found out that I settled my 3rd city near iron, it was delightful. I was also surprised when Shaka and Tamar warred me, and of course when India lost the military CS to the barbs. No other surprises.

upload_2018-3-10_13-20-28.png upload_2018-3-10_13-21-4.png