1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM35 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

turn 338 - Culture victory - 1917 AD - 1157 points

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    17 - 3 captured (free Spanish city, Aztec, Hattusa)
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Exploration, Suffrage, Space Race, Radio, Mass Media
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    No
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    Horsemen and scouts, then privateers and bombards, then ironclads and infantry
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    Just against early barbarians
    - What was your most useful unit?
    Mohenjo-Daro's levied muskets and knight
    - How did you use Poundmaker's Trading ability?
    Maximized trade routes, made allies
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    Diplomacy card for increasing production to allied trade routes helped things along like Broadway
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Mohenjo-Daro was good throughout. Had to wrest Stockholm back from Scotland.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    Maximize great people generation, keep similar religion to Spain and Aztecs.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have?
    Gold-Dark-Normal-Gold-Normal-Dark-Heroic
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    There was not much.
    - Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed?
    I'm not sure I exploited anything.
    - Did you enjoy the game? What do you think of the Rise and Fall Expansion?
    Historic moments and ages are pretty fun.

Attached Files:

2. Khalid

Khalid Chieftain

CV T209, score 1105, tourism 139/130, tourism per turn 1398

Attached Files:

3. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

CV turn 147, 720 AD, score 1059

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    Settled 11, captured Madrid and Valencia from Spain. (well, I took them from the Aztecs, but they were Spanish cities originally)

- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    No, I was purposesly trying to keep my neighbours Spain and the Aztecs in the game so I could get tourists from them. But on the other continent somebody got eliminated before I even met them. turned out to be Brazil. got conquered by the Mapuche somehow.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    slingers/archers, then a few horsemen was all I needed to start. later built a few heavy chariots and upgraded them to Knights, but I didn't really need them.

- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    yes, it's OK, stronger than a scout, not as good as a warrior. I'd rather have the cheaper regular scouts.

- What was your most useful unit?
    my UU scout which found a goody hut with 20 Faith on turn 27, which allowed me to get a Pantheon on t28, and whaddayaknow Goddess of the Harvest was still available! That's when I knew it was going to be a quick game. didn't bother trying for a religion to avoid the Different Religions tourism penalty. I don't think I could have got one anyway.

- How did you use Poundmaker's Trading ability?
    love the trading ability. By the end I had a about six internal trade routes generating tons of extra gold and food

- Was diplomacy useful? How?
    yes, I worked hard to get Open Borders and Trade routes with everyone. Only civ I couldn't get a trade route to was India. tried to keep the peace but it didn't stop a few Denouncements. And 1 surprise declaration of war from Russia and Mapuche near the end (I guess they saw I was going to win).
    Also went with Monarchy to be in line with most civs governments at the end (to avoid the Tourism penalty for different civs).

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    yes, I had them all except Kandy by the end.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    rush wonders at the beginning, and focus on books. head towards Cultural Heritage and Computers. Didn't get to Computers before the win though.

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have?
    all golden.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Emergency when Aztecs took Madrid. I hadn't been involved in an Emergency in any previous game, so it was new to me. I decided to join. I think there's a bug though, because it said Spain and I would split the 1600 gold when we took Madrid back, but I ended up getting the whole 1600, not 800. weird. I also decided to keep the Spanish cities instead of liberating them back to Spain. Spain wasn't too impressed and really hated me for a long time afterward.

- Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed?
    no, unless you count using Goddess of the Harvest and Magnus together. seems a little overpowered :)

- Did you enjoy the game? What do you think of the Rise and Fall Expansion?
    yes, fun game. The Cree are great. and I like building lots of wonders for a change.
    Love the Rise and Fall expansion. especially the option to get workers with new cities that you settle.

Thanks Leif!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.