6otM52 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM52 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- Did religion play a role in your game?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

CV 375

Not much to say here, just a few bullet points.
- Had zero wars.
- Kept myself entertained trying to flip Scythias cities. Managed to take 2 and almost had a 3rd before the game timed out @ CV.
- Had a bunch of faith banked from Goddess of the Harvest and forgot to build National Parks. Instead used it to recruit 2 great writers. Oh well.
- Forgot to turn the Hellblazers World Info Interface mod before the game started. Oh well.

I had never started an industrial era game before. I don’t think I’ve ever had a game without any warring what-so-ever before either. Nor have I used the film studios before. A fun gaming experience for me overall, so Bully Bully for you 6otM staff!
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 12_3_2018 1_48_10 PM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 12_3_2018 2_46_58 PM.png

Attachments

• TR 6otM 375 1954 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 153
T304, 1866AD, Culture Victory

Invalid – I had a family member start this game before I did. He told me that he got beat to Pantheon Goddess of the Harvest before T270. This pre-knowledge impacted my decision to chop in a Holy Site early, getting a pantheon on T261. Other than that gem of information, played by standard 6OTM rules (no replaying turns, etc.).

- What was your strategy?
1) Explore and Expand as fast as possible; get Goddess of the Harvest!
2) Heavy culture focus to Cultural Heritage; science focus to Radio (would have then been Computers if needed); chop focus for faith
3) Archeologists and National Parks
I ended with 5 Archeology Museums filled - 3 of them themed, 8 National Parks, 13 Renaissance Walls, 7 late game seaside resorts; increased tourism from 49 on T284 to 443 tourism at the end.

- Cities & early build order?
257-WASHINGTON
(1SE of copper): builder- 257(g); 260-GovPlaza, AncHall-262, settler-262,262,264,264,265,265,266,266,267,269; Theater-263, trader-264,266,275; CommD-265, ArchMus-267, Campus-270, builder -270,271,…; Archeologist-277(g); note: all chops after AncHall to setters, overflow for other stuff
258-BALTIMORE (4NE of Washington): HolySite-259, builder-259(tv), 263,266, CommH-260, Theater-265, Campus-271, builder-272,273(g)
Other cities – focus on early Theater, then CommH, then Campus
Created 11 more settlers early, 1 settler late; finished with 14 cities.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
Research
: 283-Industrial, 284-SciThe, 288-Steam, 294-Flight, 300-Radio
Civics: 271-Colonialism, 276-NatHis, 284-Conservation, 288-CulHer, etc.
Governance: 256-Classic Republic with Serf, Scripture, Dip Lea, Tri Trade; 262-Merchant Republic with Logistics, Serf, Colon, Dip Lea, Land Sur, Tri Trade, 269-Press Gangs, TradeConf, 271-Raj, 288-HerTour, 293-Limes, etc.

- Districts? Holy Site 1 early, a few later; Theaters, Comm Hubs, Campuses, 3 Industrial Complexes, 3 Harbors
- Governors? Magnus x2, Amani, Liang, Reyna x3, Pingalla, Reyna x4, Liang x4
- Wonders? Only build Ruhr Valley; started Cristo Redentor, but didn’t finish it
-Diplomacy / Trade? Always open borders & resident embassy; trade as much as possible; alliance with Scythia
-Ages? N/A

- Religion? Pantheon: 261-Goddess of the Harvest; Religion: N/A

- Barbarians? Not a big factor, annoying at best, especially when they kill scouts
- Military build / best unit? No land military, 2 caravels, 1 frigate; best unit was the Naturalists

- Neighbors/War/peace/dustbin?
Met
: 258-Scythia, 259-Kongo, 260-Aztec, 277-Germany, 278-Australia, 280-Netherlands, 287-Spain; Alliance with Scythia, no conflicts at all

- Were City-States helpful?
257-Suz of NanMadol helped me see more of the map early
About 291-Suz of Valetta let me faith buy 13 each Med/Ren walls for +65 tourism

- Homer Simpson moments – Doh! Nothing dire that I recall.
1) I could have tweaked some synergies, chopped more, and set up transitions better. For example, I didn’t build my last city until T302, so the trade routes started on T303 were late to be of use.
2) I should have swapped to Theocracy for the faith discount when I got Conservation.
3) I believe replacing all Campuses with Holy Sites as third district in most cities would have been faster. The faith would have meant faster National Parks or Great Writer buys. Seaside resorts and Film Studios came too late. Other option would have been to build universities to get to Flight even faster to make use of it, but 4 turns before win was almost useless.

- Did you enjoy the game?
It was awesome as always. Love playing the different starting eras as that is something I don’t normally do. Would love to see some random maps.

Attachments

• TEDDY ROOSEVELT 304 1866 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 181
  • GOTM52 picture.jpg
    GOTM52 picture.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 198
CV t407 (1986ad) score 1387
Oh... I did OK, but with warmonger penalties (-270!!!) I had to pay big for OB at the end. My whole continent, Congo dead, others allowed 1-2 cities. I plan to try this game again as a REX and friend to all. Other continent was just there for fun... John Curtin was they culture guy to beat as usual.

Attachments

• TEDDY t407 1986 AD sc1387.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 195
NOT a 6oTM submission!
I am happy to report that in a total Peace-fest, I was able to shave 24t off my finish time (some may be due to prior map knowledge, of course). I am happy because I was starting to think playing every game as a Dom and then choosing victory condition was always the best play. Here in a peace game, I think a lot of REX could be replaced by a judicious use of war early, and maintaining a few allies and friends you find later. If 6otm53 does not come out soon, I may even try it again.

Attachments

• TEDDY t383 1962 AD peace CV.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 153
T 320 CV

Could not get the Harvest pantheon, picked city patron. Questionable choice, too, culture from pastures could have been stronger. Focused on settler spamming, fast east-west expansion for trade route coverage and archeologist spamming. Ended up with 10 arch. museums, 7 themed, and one art. In the hindsight, should have built one or 2 more art museums to utilize wandering artists or maybe even theme.

Attachments

• CV TEDDY ROOSEVELT 320 1898 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
Culture Victory turn 418 (162 turns) score 866

Attachments

• 6otM52 T418 S866 Culture Victory.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom