6otM57 Opening Action

Turn 85. First ever 6otm so enjoying trying something different. Started with 57 as GS approach.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? How did you decide which way to go?

Warrior went west, Settler went east. I decided based on what the warrior saw when we went west, which wasn't very much

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

Settled on island with Hattusa on diamonds, and then the second on the next island west, NW of the turtles. third city was to the north north east, west of a volcano and the fourth to the south next to Cahokia.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
Following eurekas and a cultural win. But got a few religious boosts so got a culture supporting religion so diverted a bit for those.

- What was your build order?

Scout, Settler, galley, Quadrieme. Wanted to meet city states and get goody huts asap. Second city on T27 was to get culture and more settlers out.

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?

God of the Sea as I wasn't certain whether I'd go for a religion.

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

Found Dido first, who doesn't like my burgeoning naval empire. Met everyone now. Only the Turks, Mali and the Dutch like me. Might need to keep developing a naval power to protect myself.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
Holy site first up

- Did you try to build any Wonders?

None, haven't bothered as land space is limited so want to be careful about what I go for.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

yes, but not as much as I'd like. 1 settle en route now, and another being built. Doesn't feel like many good places to build though that get enough land tiles for the culture/tourism.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?

Goody hut gave me a trader around turn 27. Used immediately internally. Want to get some harbours asap for growth and to get trade routes into other civs.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Classical republic, focusing mainly on setting settlers out and getting a religion. Will shift to building a navy shortly to protect myself as my navy is all off exploring.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
Magnus for no pop loss on settlers, then Reyna for gold on unimproved tiles and now Pingala for culture and science.

- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?

No, standard age which fine. Took the dedication for additional points for converting a city.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

All of them. Prioritising getting one envoy in each for maximal benefits. Suzerianed Hattusa early on to sell resources to other civs, and got la venta too. Need to be tactical now.

- How were the Barbarians?

One annoying quadrieme got my opening warrior in first 40ish turns. Northern city had to buy an Archer to fight off 5 or 6 barbs now and one annoying camp on the southern city island blocking goody hut grabbing. Will relocate my archer soon to deal with him.

- Any surprises?

That I'm largely ahead on science, second on culture and religion. I get the AIs must have had a rough run.

I know its been over a while this 6OTM but I wanted to try this and others anyway, but I did these in the spirit of the challenge with no cheats and no reading spoilers.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? How did you decide which way to go?
I followed some advices I read on Announcement Thread, it took me two turns to settle a city.
Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
Warrior went west, then north; settler went east, then south. Capital was near Hattusa and warrior found Preslav. This wouldn't be a good start, I guess. Second city was northeast from capital.
What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
I went for Foreign Trade so I could get the Maritime Industries card soon and then Military Tradition, beelined Political Philosophy and now I'm beelining Humanism.
For the techs I'm beelining for Flight? then I remembered Celestial Navigation (for harbors) and Masonry (walls for late tourism).
What was your build order?
A monument and after Foreign Trade lots of galleys. They all went to die on Preslav.
Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
I went with God of the Sea for obvious reasons (lots of water around me) but no religion.
How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
Found Hattusa and Preslav, then Buenos Aires and Brussels. They were all friendly to me but went to war with the former because I needed that space. No major civilization in Ancient Times.
How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
Actually it took me a while to build districts. But as soon as I learned Celestial Navigation I started to build harbors.
Did you try to build any Wonders?
At the moment I'm trying to build both Colossus and Great Lighthouse. Thanks I'm suzerain of Brussels.
Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
At the first I conquered Hattusa and Preslav, then I'm still setlling nearby. I captured two cities and founded five other including the capital.
How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
It took me a while but when I finally got a trade, I started with Buenos Aires, then Brussels and now I'm trading to Dido, Suleiman and Brussels.
How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
Started with Discipline and Urban Planning. Then changed to Maritime Industries and God King for a while, which was replaced by Urban Planning until I got Classical Republic, and now I'm using Urban Planning and Colonization, Charismatic Leader, and Corvée.
Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
Liang was my first governor so I could build fisheries and faster districts. I also got Reyna? but now I'm thinking I should've got another governor...
Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
Yes, I got a Classical Dark Age but I didnt take any Dark cards but almost considered Twilight Valor.
What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
Lots of them, but I'm suzerain of Brussels (faster wonder buildings!) and Buenos Aires (bonus resources work like luxuries ones!). As I said above, I had to take Hattusa and Preslav.
How were the Barbarians?
Almost inexistent, so I could "easily" take Preslav.
Any surprises?
Lots of city states, met everyone during Classical Age, found Piopiotahi (and settled near it), almost everyone is my friend and thankfully nobody has denounced me yet. I'm also surprised the theater district took me so much time to build and now I'm building the Marae which is taking so much time too...

Attachments

• 6otM57_Culture_Maori_T100.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
Top Bottom