6otM74 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 74 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Religion?
- How did you pump your Culture?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Culture victory, turn 193, score 978

Must say, I really like Hungary. Mostly because of the music.

Had an amazing start. Popped if I remember correctly +1 population, 1 builder, 1 scout, 1 relic from my 4 first huts. Went on to settle my 2nd city, and built Stonehenge there. Founded religion with Choral music and State property.

Meanwhile my capitol built a few more settlers and then went all out building wonders. Built Pyramids, Oracle, and Greate Library. After finishing Stonehenge, my 2nd city built Colosseum. Then settled a few more cities, trying to stop Khmer from forward settling on me. But instead, America did.

By now I was friends with everyone on my continent except Khmer, and wanted to keep the peace. It seemed for a while like I was going to be able to turn one of Americas cities, so my army gathered at it's borders to take it out once it would revolt. However, in the end it stayed loyal. Instead, the Khmer declared on me and was able to capture my 2nd city before I was able to stop them.

When my army finally arrived, they had already built walls. However, I sent Amani to Lisbon, and once suzerained, levied it's troops. By now I had researched crossbows, so with my new army upgraded, and with a few catapults, I could finally retaliate. After taking back my city, my army marched on and captured the entire Khmer empire.

After that, things went peaceful again. China was angry with all my wonders, but calmed down after I built a mighty fleet of one galley. I settled the last remaining spots on the continent while Magnus and his band of workers traveled around and chopped in Holy Sites and Theater Squares.

Was in a golden age throughout the entire game and bought most of my workers and settlers with faith or gold. Likewise, most district buildings were bought with gold from trading with the AI. While sailing around the world I eventually met Canada, Indonesia and the Persians. Never found the last civ though.

After beelining Cold War I switched to Theocracy and sent an army of rockbands towards Poundmaker.
And well.. that was that.

Very nice map, very pleasant landscape.
Spoiler :

GOTM74.png

Attachments

• MATTHIAS CORVINUS 193 1320 AD.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:
CV 172 Score 1314

I struggled for the last 20 turns to find any suitable location for my rock bands, since I had noone left on my continent. Planning overseas tours for my rockers was quite a challange.

Spoiler Hungary sure does love skiing... :

20191102220508_1.jpg

I settled about 4 cities and counquered all the civs on the continent.
Every upgrade to either melee or archer units at first (for the levied buddies), and then Computers
Sure, managed to get one with divine spark.
I have built all the Theatre Squares and Holy Sites I could on the opposite side of the river, to get the bonus production bonus.
Sure, they conquered the entire continent.
Not really, it was a very simple game.
Sure, Hungary uniques are super fun :)

Attachments

• CV.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 266
Culture win turn 205 score 1299

I got a little sidetracked with stuff that didn't directly help with tourism, which delayed my victory a little. Such as not grabbing the tourism policies as soon as possible and not getting enough museums and archeologists out early enough.

Now I'm going to replay from my turn 100 save to see just how much sooner I could have won if I had stayed on target.

Attachments

• 60tM 74 Culture Win T205 S1299.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 254
Aaaargh, my first Rock Band was a one-hit wonder and croaked after their first performance in Persia. I was overconfident and spent my Faith on Builders while they were swimming to Cyrus, and so my follow up Rock Band was delayed enough that they were irrelevant.

Cleared my continent on Turn 101 with Levied troops, then beelined Cartography to go find my neighbors. Even after finding them all by Turn 123, it took forever before Tourists started to show up. Aggravating. Is there some trick to getting things started that I don't know? They didn't know I was a conquering maniac; as far as they all knew, I was a sweetheart.

Basic Hungary tactic of Levy Early and suicide them into other Civs' cities, so that it's cheaper to Levy the next time. I crashed several of Mohenjo-Daro's Warriors into Angkor Thom just to finish them off and skyrocket to 6 Envoys. Finished with all surviving City-States solidly under control, although Indonesia really did not like me having Cardiff. I probably should have taken Kabul as a connecting city to give my empire better feng shui.

Turn 169 CV. Thank you for the game.

Spoiler :
upload_2019-11-3_20-54-26.png

upload_2019-11-3_20-57-1.png

Attachments

• MATTHIAS GotM 170 1090 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 296
CV T155/T156
A very relaxed game although I did push early settlers very hard. Not one of my 7 early settlers used AH, the natural terrain, CS and 50% settler card were plenty when you do not build an army.
Went scount settler settler settler I think and pushed straight to Early Empire for the settler card which did not take long with those culture CS. Took Amani first (who would not with Hungary) then magnus pin,pin,pin,pin
Took out Khmer in a rage after they culture bombed my chopping forests around T70, even a surprise war taking all 3 cities did not upset people a lot. Sure it slows down the CV a little but who cares, they deserved it.
I think I was at about 7 cities at T60 and 206 culture at T100 which I was pleased with but with 3 city states it was simples. Finding Kumasi afterward was just a dream.
I should have got cartography a LOT earlier but got it around T120. prob biggest slow down in the game. Serves me right for ignoring earlyu uni's early which slowed down printing and so forth.
It was fun, spam Moai which in conjunction with Rock bands is I suspect a much early victory but I just went traditional as I have not done one for a while and basically loved suzing all the CS and I even got a themed art museum. Suzerain of 12 in the end but could have been pushed to more missed way too many inspirations. No rock bands or ski slopes just traditional and about 10 moai, should have spammed more. May try that as an alernative to see how it goes.
Spoiler :

upload_2019-11-4_23-27-6.png

upload_2019-11-4_23-26-46.png

upload_2019-11-4_23-29-51.png

upload_2019-11-4_23-27-31.png

Attachments

• MATTHIAS CORVINUS Post CV T156.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
CV T189

I made 3 settlers and when I became suzerain for one city state I started to levy conquer everybody... with Amani going from one place to the next. In the end I left only one civ alive, the one with the less culture thinking that it would speed up the culture victory by lowering the number of tourists to generate. I generated some tourism from great writers and artists, but it feels really underpowered than rockbands. In the end I realized that I made a huge mistake by conquering everybody since I did not have places for my rock bands to generate tourism and if I understand it well you get more tourism if there are more civs alive.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0178.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 291
CV T153 (/154)
(The HOF says it was a turn 153 win, I noticed at turn 154 I got the tourists for the win, the victory screen came after turn 154. Odd how those things aren't aligned.)

Went for the 'see no evil' strategy where I conquered all of the continent with levied units before meeting the AI on the second continent. Worked like a charm, the Egyptians, Persians, Indonesians and Canadians loved me after I massacred all of the AI on my own continent. Combined this with the faith buying builders/settlers on monumentality strat and got a pretty decent score I think. I got most of the tourism from walls, lots from Moai, some works of art and at the end some national parks. Won before rock bands were a thing.

Had 33 at the end, of which 13 or 14 were conquered. Build so many mainly for the walls and places to put Moai.

Anything helping with war and tourism.

Yes I did. Needed the faith anyway, so ot myself a religion as well. Messed the timing up though, got the 'your cities start with your majority religion in place' belief, but started conquering so fast that my empire never got my religion as its majority religion. So new cities did not get my religion. I keep learning.

Many cities, monuments, Moai, TS.

Well... yeah! Was suzerain of all in the end. They fought my wars for me.

Not getting my own religion as majority religion was something I hadn't seen happen before. Good thing to remember if you do war first, religion second.
The only city state on my continent, Akkad, that wasn't under my control while I was fighting the Americans actually killed the city state to the southeast of it. Don't see that very often. They couldn't defend themselves because I levied their troops to finish of China.
Only two of the 4 Ai s on the other islands wanted to be my friend, although all of them were friendly towards me. Perhaps all the (levied) forces near and in their borders made them anxious?

As always, great fun to play and compare afterwards how others played the same map. Thanks!

some screenshots:
Spoiler screens :
20191105165016_1.jpg
20191105165347_1.jpg

Attachments

• 60tM 74 Culture hungry t155 WIN.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 264
I tried a replay from the start with the plan to take out everyone on the starting landmass asap then go meet the other civs. The 2nd part of the plan was to spam moai everywhere and beeline flight. On this retry I managed to win at the turn 143/144 rollover.

Cultural Victory Turn 193, Score 2064
I won a turn before, but I guess the update of stats happened before check for victory.

Founded 10, Captured 20 (all other civ's on my home continent),
had 1 Americal city destroyed by city state when it's troops went independent one turn.

For Science
Astrology to get a holy site/religion
then Iron Working and Machinery to power up levied troops.
Then I went for Cartography intending to find civ's in the rest of the world after finishing warring on my home continent
After that I kind of lost my way for a while and just took things pretty randomly until I went for flight&computers
For Culture
Early Empire for settlers
Drama for Cultural Sites,
Humanism for Art/Archeologists,
Democracy for allied trading benefits
Policy wise I created plenty of settlers and builders, so I tried to make sure I was effective on those.
I swapped policies to maximise whatever I was building now, be it walls, encampments/harbours, builders or whatever.
Then I would make sure I had good faith/gold income - I ignored all the cultural policies for ages as they always feel so weak, there was few adjacency bonus' on theatre squares

Bigtime, Religion was a powerful driver of culture as well as a source of production of builders/traders .
Divine Spark, Choral Music & Lay Ministry to drive Great People, Faith and Culture.
Somehow I ended up with Mosques WTF? I think I must have misclicked and took them instead of Meeting House which I had intended to take, but it's GOTM so no replaying
As ever my first apostle was a debater. So it's the 2nd apostle that gets to evangelize.
That first apostle was an awesome hero managed to spread massive amounts of religion to my cities killing several enamy missionaries (I wish I could name apostles)

As said above, religion provided a lot of initial impetus for culture, once I had a working base of shrines in my holy sites I then built a bunch of Theatre Squares - I should have built more earlier though.
I build a bunch of wonders to generate tourism, probably too many, but on price I can get them and I enjoyed doing so.
Pingala in my Capitol provided lots of tourism doubling the great works there

Very much so. I'm Hungary after all.
Mohenji- Daro took out Khmer for me.
Rappa Nui and Kabut took out America and Zulu
Akkad took out China and Cree

While warring America Mohenjo-Daro killed one of their cities when they broke free of my control. doh!
I forgot to replace it with a new city, doh!

yes, it was fun. Been a while since I played on prince, it was nice to have an easy game that I could roll.
I see that I still love building up my economy/cities too much and I don't focus on victory enough, I'm sure I could win much sooner if I focused on what I need to do, but what the heck, having fun trumps that

Attachments

• MATTHIAS CORVINUS 192 1310 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 287
I won a turn before, but I guess the update of stats happened before check for victory.
A CV is calculated at the end of the turn. I believe this is even so with Rock bands. So your official finish is the turn before the turn shown after the victory.
@GOTM staff. Maybe this can be clarified for correct victory times in the starting post?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and very excited by these GoTM!
Here is my attempt, turn 152, score 1309
civ6 hungary.png

In a nutshell, I build every wonder & could & spammed moai clusters & walls while razing my continents & exploring the world with levied armies.

I settled 5 cities and captured 14 (the civs on my continent), then settled 2 more in the late game for trade routes.
Research: I +/- beelined cartography, with a quick stop for swordsman, walls, then flight for tourism bonus on moai
Policies: political philosophy, drama & poetry, theology, feudalism, then conservation
I got one with divine spark & choral, but completely forgot to spread it
city states & theatre square, then moai everywhere I could
For tourism I spammed wonders everywhere & could.
A lot, I spent my time switching Amani & levy city states to conquer my continent, and the rest of the world after
Never played Hungary before, it's a beast!
Very much, thanks a lot! I had a lot of fun

Spoiler :

20191108234308_1.jpg

Attachments

• AutoSave_0153.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 272
T139, Culture Victory Hall of Fame shows 138, but game didn’t show the victory screen until the transition between T139 and T140

Spoiler ANCIENT ERA END (to T61) :

ANCIENT ERA END (to T61)
- Cities & Build Order?
Total of 5 cities so far.
1-Buda (SIP): Scout, Settler, Builder, Warrior x2, Slinger x2, 32-Campus, Builderx3, 42-GovPlaza, Ancestral Hall, Settler x3, working Pyramids
20-MISKOLC (5W/1SW): Mon, Builder, Trader, 51-Campus, Library
51-EGAR (3E/2NE): Monument
55-DEBRECEN (1W/6SW): Monument, started Campus
58-ESZTERGAM (5SE/2E): nothing yet (bought tile and placed campus), started Monument
- Tech? AH, Pottery, Writing, Mining, BW, Irrigation, Archery, Masonry, Currency, HB Riding
- Civics? Beeline to Pol Phil, G&R, Mysticism
-Governors? Magnus x2, Amani, Liang
-Policies? started Discipline, God King; then Agoge; took Classic Republic – varied policies based upon builds / needs at time; lots of switching
- Did you emphasize expansion? After Ancestral Hall with chopping
- Did you bother with Religion? Early focus to try to get Religious Settlements, which on T36 was no longer available, so I took Divine Spark
- Were your neighbors peaceful? Yes, goal is no combat (except for barbarians)
- How did you pump your Culture? No major focus yet
- How did you pump your Tourism? None yet
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Met 8, Suz of 2 culture CS’s
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Nothing yet

Spoiler TURN 100 :

TURN 100
- Cities & Build Order?
Total of 9 cities so far.
-Districts? Completed/Started: Campus-4/0, Theater-6/1, Holy Site-1/2, CommHub-2/1, Harbor-2/0, Indus-1/1
Wonders? Four in Capital, Petra in Gyor
- Tech? 96-Cartography (find others), working on Printing (GW double tourism)
- Civics? working toward Exploration
-Governors? Added Pingala x3
-Policies? varies based upon need, but using 3 Economic Policies most of the time
- Did you emphasize expansion? Yes, to the 9 cities so far
- Did you bother with Religion? Not initially, but started after seeing so many missionaries
- Were your neighbors peaceful? Yes, met 5 on continent; 4 declared friends; goal is no combat (except for barbarians)
- How did you pump your Culture? Six Theaters & Suz of 3 culture CS’s (making Amphitheaters awesome)
- How did you pump your Tourism? Total - 35 (12-GW; 23-Wonders)
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Met 10, Suz of 9!
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I did not expect Religion to be able to play a role at this level. Once I saw 3 missionaries from Khmer, I decided to try some Religion

Spoiler CLASSIC ERA END (to T121) :

CLASSIC ERA END (to T121)
- Cities & Build Order?
Still 9 cities. One settler headed to other continent to set up trade routes.
- Tech? Printing (GW double tourism), working toward Siege Tactics & Flight
- Civics? Exploration, Natural History, working on Conservation
-Governors? Pingala to Curator
-Policies? varies based upon need, but mainly Economic/Diplomatic Policies
- Did you bother with Religion? Got Religion and took Relic belief, traded for Relic from Canada (only one in game that I see); working on trying to create my own martyrs
- Were your neighbors peaceful? Yes, met all 9; 7 declared friends; goal is no combat (except for barbarians)
- How did you pump your Culture? Still Theater/Suz focus
- How did you pump your Tourism? Total - 137 (GW-58, Relic-24, Art-8, Wonders-39, HS-8); open borders with all, 4 trade routes
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Met 17, Suz of 9 still
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Nothing major in this period

Spoiler VICTORY (to T139) :

VICTORY (to T139)
- Cities & Build Order?
Total of 10 cities, last one on T138, a little late to be useful.
- Tech? Siege Tactics (walls) & Flight (Moai tourism)
- Civics? Conservation (walls tourism & heritage tourism)
-Governors? Nothing valuable
-Policies? Raj and Heritage Tourism useful
- Did you emphasize expansion? Just to try to add trade routes
- Did you bother with Religion? tons of Apostles, but only one with ability to become a Martyr; did not take time to go after Mont St. Michael as I decided to go this route too late
- Were your neighbors peaceful? No wars (with me) the whole game
- How did you pump your Culture? Still Theater/Suz focus
- How did you pump your Tourism? Total - 395 (various great works – 197 (to include two relics); Wonders ~39, HS-8, walls ~31, rest Moai); open borders with all, still 4 trade routes in reality as I just added 3 more on T139
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Met 17, Suz of 16! Rapa Nu let me spam Moai after Flight
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Nothing major in this period

- Did you enjoy the game? Absolutely!! Great job setting these up!!

Attachments

• 6OTM 74 T61.jpg
    6OTM 74 T61.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 6OTM 74 T100.jpg
    6OTM 74 T100.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 6OTM 74 T121.jpg
    6OTM 74 T121.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 6OTM 74 T139.jpg
    6OTM 74 T139.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 332
  • MATTHIAS CORVINUS 100 400 BC.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 280
  • MATTHIAS CORVINUS 139 560 AD.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 262
139 CV

Free inquiry to carry science all the way to computers. Then monumentality to spam settlers + builders to get seaside resorts online.

Oh boy, how late 2nd gold age came; T121
I was not able to mass spam workers without monumentality.
So final push for moai/resort spam did't start as early as I hoped for.

And of course cleared my continent with levied troops.

Spoiler :

Should have eliminated Indonesia as well, to shave 1-2T of.

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• MATTHIAS CORVINUS 139 CV.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 293
Been a lurker on these forums for more years than I'd care to remember, but made an account today so I could say a huge thanks for all the hard work that must go into the GOTM. I'd got a bit fed up with the endless rubbish maps that Civ 6 randomly creates and was ready to throw in the towel on the game when I remembered GOTM and thought I would give it a go. Not a hardcore player but definitely a Civ enthusiast I've never really tried to play beyond King - most of which games I win but not in the number of turns I see the professionals finish in.

So I was really pleased to finish on Turn 174 and surprised to see that it compared pretty favourably with some of the "professionals" - I know I made mistakes, too late getting to the other continents, bit slow getting my first Holy Site, too cautious in levying to kill of China and looking at the screenshots I clearly don't chop enough, but I really enjoyed playing on a decent map and thanks again for creating the GOTM, I will continue to use it as a way to enjoy the game. The specifics per your format:

How many cities did you settle or capture?
9 settled - although 2 so late in the day they made little difference - 2 captured from the Khmer
Beeline for anything that improved culture
Did you bother with Religion?
I've been caught out before with the negative tourism on a state religion - so generated a decent amount of faith to buy builders etc but didn't create a religion
Theatre Squares in every city and as many Wonders as possible - I saw a post from Dan Quale(sp?) in an old GOTM about the increase in tourism from Wonders as the eras advance, so aimed for multiple wonders and works of writing as primary Tourism drivers. I was always in a Golden Age but the new eras seemed to be super late which probably delayed the win a little
Were City-States helpful?
Yes moved Amani about early on and levied Mohenjo Daru in order to take out the Khmer
Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Couldn't find a track through the Ocean to the other continents so had to prioritise Cartography - I guess I was just inept and missed the way through - delayed the build up of Tourism a bit
Brilliant - thanks again - really interesting to look at how others played the game and their end shot compared to mine - that on its own shows some of my mistakes

Attachments

• AutoSave_0174.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 270
Culture win on turn 328 score 2112.
- How many cities did you settle or capture? 16 Captured 1 loyalty flip 8 settled (one with captured settler

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Things I had eureka’s for if there wasn’t a culture building or new weapon in the works.

- Did you bother with Religion? I did. I built it to help with culture per turn.

- How did you pump your Culture? Mostly great works and to a lesser extent my religion Also some rock bands at the end.

- Were City-States helpful? Yes, I levied one and used it to take out Khmer. I also used suzerain cards because I was suzerain of 12 and had 13 for awhile.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? An early DOW by Khmer. Kicked his ass. I was prepping to go after his iron and horses any way.

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0328.Civ6Save
    3.3 MB · Views: 288
Been a lurker on these forums for more years than I'd care to remember, but made an account today so I could say a huge thanks for all the hard work that must go into the GOTM. I'd got a bit fed up with the endless rubbish maps that Civ 6 randomly creates and was ready to throw in the towel on the game when I remembered GOTM and thought I would give it a go. Not a hardcore player but definitely a Civ enthusiast I've never really tried to play beyond King - most of which games I win but not in the number of turns I see the professionals finish in.
Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. :wavey:

Congrats on your time and best of luck in future games. :goodjob:

Top Bottom