6otM91 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM91 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
- How many cities did you take with military?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Will update with full text tomorrow, but Turn 196 victory (screenshots of Turn 197). Was pretty happy to get sub-200.

Spoiler Victory :

Got my first sub-200 culture victory, with the win on turn 181!

Settled 12 cities altogether, captured none.

Machinery for Kilwa by turn 100, then up the top half of the tech tree for radio and computers. I started teching towards steel for Eiffel Tower, but won before I got there. Culture-wise, I prioritized PP and drama and poetry, exploration, conservation and cultural heritage, suffrage, and cold war.

I didn't build much of a military. Built 2 galleys to explore, a few quads (upgraded to frigates) to deal with barb ships, 3 archers for machinery, 2 horsemen and 2 swords to fill out the mobilization boost, and 3 privateers for the electricity eureka.

I built a hoplite for era score and used it to get the military tactics boost and get a few tribal villages. Managed to get a few useful eurekas from villages. I built an acropolis in all but one city, with most of them adjacent to the city center.

Builders.

Yes, for trading for gold and getting great trade routes. I ended up being able to ally 5 of the AIs. Only Arabia and Macedon disliked me by the end. I made a lot of gold selling diplo favor and strategic resources. Some of my endgame trade routes were absolutely disgusting--like 6 food, 8 production, 40 gold. I also won one useful world congress dedication, giving 100% production towards theater square buildings.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
Yes, as even mediocre ones were providing +5% culture when suzerained and helping contribute +15% gold/faith/production with Kilwa. By ~t140, I was suzerain of every available city state. Geneva and Bologna were quite useful. Not having any cultural city states was a bummer though. Between acropolises and wonders built in the capitol with Apadana, no one was able to compete via envoys, but Macedon conquered Zanzibar towards the end of the game (costing me ~150 gold per turn).

My basic strategy was to use faith from earth goddess with medieval and renaissance monumentality golden ages to settle and develop land for maximum tourism output. I prioritized 2 holy sites early and got the 3rd religion (work ethic). After that, I prioritized acropolises everywhere and built harbors and holy sites afterward. I built 3 campuses to help get to radio & computers. I built a mixture of archaeological museums and art museums, trying to keep enough slots for Great Artists. Magnus went on tour, chopping out infrastructure city-by-city. I built seaside resorts everywhere I could, planting forests where needed to raise appeal. Wonder-wise, I prioritized the Oracle, Kilwa, Pyramids, Hermitage, and Cristo. I also built Petra, Apadana, Colossus, and Bolshoi. Apadana was surprisingly useful for creating the mega-tourism capitol. I kind of wished I built Forbidden City, as the additional policy slot would've been useful and the AI never tried building it. I had a city set up for chopping Eiffel but didn't get to research steel. I got 2 national parks and then finished the game with rock bands.

None. Didn't have a single war all game.

Normal classical, golden medieval, renaissance, and industrial. I tried to conserve era score, but really didn't need to as I went way over for every age. I do wish I'd gotten a couple galleys out quicker, as a golden classical probably could have shaved 10-15 turns off this finish.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
None.

It didn't seem like Fez's suzerain bonus actually worked for me. I converted a few of my cities late game, to speed up computers by a few turns, but I didn't get any extra science. They'd been converted by Macedon but I'm quite sure they had never followed my religion. Besides that, there were no other real surprises.

Yeah, it was great. Except for the lack of cultural city states, the map was pretty ideal for a cultural victory, with all of the coastal earth goddess appeal and seaside resort potential.
Spoiler Turn after victory :

Greece GoTM t182.png

Greece GoTM t182-north.png

Greece GoTM t182-resort island.png

Last edited:
Culture Victory, turn 283, 1621 points.

Right, first post here - so first maybe a real short intro:
Been a civ fan since civ1, had a looong break, but the epic games free drive got me hooked. Again. :)
Lot's of new concepts (my first game was a religious loss as Kongo. I thought I was winning, just a few cities left until, bam! Defeat! Wtf... :D). Started as Prince and increased one level once I got a victory from that level. And after some Deity victories I couldn't resist getting the plat edition pack, and new fun civs to play with/against. About that time I found Civ Fanatics forum (but I remember I used to read here in my old civ days). Played one game as Deity Australia with my easiest win so far, and saw the game of the month challenge featuring a civ I hadn't played yet since returning (greece), and a new victory type I hadn't tried (cultural); my victories so far had been centered on Domination and Science.

So... how do you play for a Cultural Victory? I had no idea... but I read some forum posts, got a vague general idea and thought I'd wing it from there.

Spoiler Gameplay :

Early game:
Settled in place, noticed that the island seemed rather small and took a gamble on keeping my military small - something that lived on for almost the rest of the game.
Focused on getting three cities up asap. Settled all three along the west coast, one getting the galapagos goodies.
Built acropolises and two holy sites and managed to grab a religion (I used the wild card to get great prophet points). Didn't use the religion for anything though, but the faith came in handy later on.

Next phase:
Golden age and chose something that let me buy settlers/builders for faith - since I hadn't spent it on religious conquest I had some to spare; mohahaha. My first wave of expansion hit, and I settled a lot of islands around the main island, a lot to the west, some north, one south (next to Hong Kong), and one east. Didn't saturate my own continent until the very end of this phase; thought it would be better to try to steal good spots on other land masses before others did. In retrospect I don't really know if many of them ever helped me; felt like my cities on the main island did almost all the work, maybe with the exception of the island to the west with Bologna, and the one on the south with Hong Kong)

Next phase:
Had good relations with everybody, but Saladin couldn't keep his paws off Bologna, so I joined a crusade for liberation. We never really got friendly again after that. Also phoenicia(?) and I had a bit strained relationship during the game. But it sorted itself out.
Started to churn out great people in Athens. Began to understand why I often conquered civs with great people running around unused; didn't have enough amphitheaters and museums to put them to use. They started to be in the way for routing units. Wtf.
(note: should have focused on more acropolises in my new cities, so I could faith buy theaters and such - I only built acropolises in cities with suitable hill next to center. Also didn't micromanage the artwork, which great person to use, etc enough for theming).
Also total failure on artifacts; forgot to build archeologists, eventhough I had some archeology museums. Doh. Caught on to it near the end.
Generally started noticing my lackluster production; usually I focus on production in my cities, I.e. industrial zones are important, and hills are used for mines. Now it was a lot of cultural stuff on my hills; acropolises and wonders and such and needed harbors for trade routes. The map type also made land mass a tight spot. No place for districts. Doh!
So, tried to get shipyards up, but generally production was always kind of low, apart from my 3 main cities on my main continent.

Next phase:
Having harbors everywhere and lots of trade routes and trade route boosting policies, meant money started to pile up. Had lots of strategic resources I didn't use, but didn't have patience to keep trading it. So it mostly stockpiled.
Started buying settlers en masse, and a next wave of settling begun. Tried to be offensive and settled close to Cleopatras land, but that remained a loyalty struggle to the end (had to use a lot of policy cards to keep it in check, and settle some extra cities there, and in slightly worse locations than I hoped, just to keep loyalty somewhat in check.
Settled a lot of more crappy locations, and generally think I could have skipped this expansion wave all-together.
Hit another golden age around here, used draconis sir hunt, but it hit a little to late, so I only got to use the pop boost for 3 cities or so.
At this time I had 3-4 times more culture output than my next rival, but was very uncertain on how this would lead to victory.

End game:
So, I feel I can win with traditional domination or science if I want to. But how do you win a Cultural Victory? I out-culture everybody by far. Alright, time to dive into the culture victory tab. Find any civs I don't have trade routes to, or lack open borders to (all my ally-slots are filled, but not place for everybody). France seems to be my holding block.
I have an advanced government that nobody else has. I.e. tourism-penalty for wrong gov. Check into my friends and see that almost everybody runs Fascism. Ok, not optimal, need to sacrifice a lot of culture-boosting policies to run it. But, let's try.
Also buy some archeologists, and built ski resorts. My culture drops, but tourism increases. But so does France. Whenever my tourism from France increases, the limit is raised equally. Don't seem to get closer.
Is it impossible to get enough ahead? Phoenicia attacks one of my city states (I'm Suz of all city states at this point, and have been Suz for all but 1 or 2 almost the entire game - except for some that got whacked before I even heard of their existence).
I raise an emergency, upgrade my few existing troops, buy an army, an armada and a few jet bombers (I built two airports just to be able to fend off any attacks, and also the production boost would be helpful), and start punching her. But, just when I'm getting started: a victory screen. Right.

So in conclusion I don't really know how I won, and I think I played extremely sub-optimal for this victory type.
But it was fun to try something new, and it was also the first time(!) that I didn't cheat with reload from earlier saves. That made me play more defensively, and also bite the dust sometimes, such as losing a wonder with just 1 turn left :'( :'(
Magnus was of course used frequently for chopping for wonders and Pingala in Athens, the fighting-guy was useful in my late game offensive settlement-cluster, but otherwise I didn't use governors to their abilities.
(will never go back to reloading; it just gives it a new level of thrill when you need to pay for your mistakes/unfortune - can recommend it for everybody! And I thought I couldn't win without it before trying it.)

No wars expect liberation wars for Bologna and Hong Kong
Settled 23 cities I think.

Ehm, hmm. Culture was way ahead of science generally. Tried to get fancy governments (trad republic, democracy and then the new one with a culture boost), had read that radio and flight was a good thing for cultural victory, so tried to go to them early (always go early for flight regardless, since planes are the unit to have when fighting AI at deity level). Focused on naval stuff early game to get expansion and exploration going, never played a so small starting island before (and thus neglected all kinds of military tech such as archery etc early)

nothing really. Built two galleys for a naval eureka, but kept armies to a minimum until end game, where I just bought some stuff to liberate a city state. Always counted on using city states and levying armies if necessary for a fast defense. Got very lucky early game with a barb camp in the northeast corner which could easily be kept in check on the single wood(rainforest?)/hills-tile that was the only way into my domains.

Don't think I build a single Hoplite. Acropolis was of course essential, but I should have build more I think - didn't prioritize them in later game settlements

settler/builder

nah, I must learn a bit more on it; had lots of favor in the end even though I burnt a lot to get a completely meaningless diplomatic victory vote somewhere in the middle.
But yes, didn't fight anybody, that was a new. And almost everybody was my ally, even when I was clearly winning. Strange. Power of trade and peace maybe?

Oh yes, managed to be suz of them all, and used policy card that gave additional boosts for this. Not really, a few attacks, but not many. Tried to levy armies and stand in their way when possible.

Argh, don't really know. Focus on great people in one city (Athens) with wonders, governors, policies and such. And good relations and lots of trade routes. Didn't use religion, which I probably should have.

None (except liberating a city state)

2 (or was it 3) golden ages. No dark.

Pushed the loyalty limit when settling next to Egypts capital. Was a hard struggle with loyalty constantly there. Built more cities close, governors incl loyalty boosting such, garrisons, policy cards of all kinds, and also needed to convert my cities to my own religion constantly to keep them in check.

Rising water levels. Hadn't had those before; at least not effecting this much. And wasn't prepared enough. Is that a new thing in GS? Must be. But why didn't I get it in my (one) earlier game? (instead I had constant droughts in that one). Oh well. Need to learn how climate works in the game, and how to check for tendencies. The prod cost of building costal walls after once it hit was well... steep.

Yes, very fun this game of month stuff. Adds to a new level. Will look up old Deity games now and try them out :)

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. :wavey:

Best of luck in your games and welcome back to Civilization. :woohoo:

Peaceful Culture Victory: Turn 231 - Score 1015

This was my first deity game and also the first time on an archipelago map so I treated it as a fun learning experience and that is what I had.

I've been playing for a month or so; downloaded the game for free from Epic then got suckered into buying all the DLC (as they planned).

I went for peaceful culture, had I known you could traverse the map without researching Ocean Tech I would have expanded a lot more. This is the fewest cities I've ever had, LOL. I'm thinking I could get a win around turn 175 if I did it again, knowing you can easily move around an archipelago. :D

Spoiler Culture Victory Map :
Civ6Screen0001.jpg

Spoiler Island Map :
Civ6Screen0003.jpg

Spoiler Victory Culture Graph :
Civ6Screen0004.jpg

Spoiler Victory Science Graph :
Civ6Screen0005.jpg

The core six cities on the home island ground out the victory. I settled one city on a single tile island to grab niter, then three late game cities on the small islands to the north and west in order to house more great works. Alex also settled late on the small island to the south east, just before the end, and that one instantly flipped to me.

The primary strategy was to put an Acropolis in every city and get the bulk of the tourism from great works and walls with rock bands to finish the job.

The secondary strategy was a bit of additional tourism from water park buildings to give the cities something to do later on.

The tertiary strategy was resorts if there were any suitable places and if the game was still going on when I got to Radio & Pro Sports.

Wonder wise I built Temple of Artemis, Oracle, Colosseum then Colossus (for the trade route).

Founded a religion, 'Party Islands', to use faith as currency so the Holy City gave some tourism.

Just two campuses, a decent +5 in the capital and a +2, which was enough to stay on par with the AI (Alex accelerated past everyone in the end phase).

Had alliances with the four women early, the three blokes only came around to being friends/allies late on.

Bizarrely, 10 turns before the end my alliance expired with Eleanor, she then declared war on Gitarja, who was my financial ally, and it suddenly came up with 'Pericles has declared war on Eleanor'?

My army consisted of the starting warrior, the slinger used to boost archery and a hoplite for the era score, haha. The navy was the two galleys used to boost shipbuilding, two privateers to help deal with a barbarian outbreak and a battleship from a Great Admiral.

Two dark ages, two heroic ages and the rest were normal ages.

I thought the 1000+ culture & 800+ gold per turn were quite sick and I had spies stealing a grand every few turns.

Overall it felt like my optimisation level was around 50%.

Violent CV T153 (patch 1.0.2.39)

Meeting Yerevan on your island (and having it for yourself for a while) screamed for a reliquaries game, but I think it was a trap for two main reasons. First, suiciding apostles on a water map is much more difficult and slower even with Cartography. Second, since the recent religion changes and the AI now favoring Choral Music, I have seen deity AIs hit The Enlightenment in the T120s whereas it was more around the T140s before. It thus significantly reduces the time window effectiveness of relics. Before, I considered any relics CV a fail if not won before the T140s. My strategy for this game was thus to acquire as much coastal land as possible to spam seaside resorts and build Cristo Redentor. If in the process I conquered cities from AIs with high culture output all the better.
Pantheon: I got an early pantheon thanks to meeting Yerevan first. Despite Religious Settlements still being available, I picked Earth Goddess since coast provide +1 appeal and there is usually a lot of breathtaking tiles on a water map. It seems it was a wise choice as according to Better Report Screens, I was generating more 500 faith per turn from Earth Goddess alone at the end of the game

39 cities total
4 cities settled on main island
2 cities settled on the islands to the North
At the start of the Renaissance era, I started to settle the little islands for seaside resort spam
I conquered the rest

3 Golden Ages: Monumentality, Free Inquiry, Monumentality
Finding two Natural wonders first and settling the Galapagos Islands helped secure the Classical GA despite the isolated start. I also picked Amani first just in case. I could also have purchased an hoplite just in case, but I didn't have to.
I banked around 4.5k faith during the Free Inquiry Medieval age, ready to be spent in settlers, builders, archaeologists at the start of the Renaissance era.

Research: Cartography, Machinery, Radio, Siege Tactics, Computer
Policy: Mass Media (Cristo Redentor)

Caravels: their recent buff (and to naval melee in general) makes them even deadlier. My Caravels could basically solo all unwalled cities which stood at 20-36CS. Even with walls, 2-3 Caravels could do the job to take them down. The only counter is to either get your own Caravels or get Musketmen (or at least Knights) to increase the base CS of your cities. It takes 945 raw beakers (without eurekas or research premium) to do a blind beeline to Cartography, whereas it takes 1775 beakers to get to Gunpowder. Musketmen (which now have the same CS as Caravels at 55) also require Niter.
Honorable mention: Yi Sun-sin as I was able to recruit him as the first Great Admiral of the Renaissance era allowing me to create an Ironclad 15+ turns before I unlocked the tech. The unit allowed me to wither down walled cities faster. It was especially useful against Gitarja who was the first AI to unlock Caravels (and thus get higher city CS). One of her cities which allowed only one melee attack per turn from water and which also had medieval walls was especially painfully slow to take down.

Caravels upgraded into Ironclads

Joint wars
It looks like Eleanor was especially pleased from my offer of a joint war against Saladin as she was willing to give me almost everything she had
Spoiler :
Civ6Screen0003.jpg

Brussels for Wonder construction, Bologna for more GP points, Zanzibar for amenities, Nazca lines for increased appeal
I liberated Zanzibar from Alexander.
No cultural city-state on the map slows down your own cultural progress, but also the AI's culture generation. This potential culture reduction for the player was mitigated by Pericles' ability to get +5% culture per city-state suzerainty. This also nerfs a bit a violent CV approach whose main advantage lies in reducing the culture generation of the AI players by capturing their cities.

I now feel that a violent cultural victory is the only way where the loyalty system as it is currently implemented can prove to become an 'interesting puzzle' for this simple reason: you do not want to actually wipe out any civilization, because you want to keep accruing visiting tourists against them. In any other scenario, it is simply easier to wipe them out or at least keep their best/most populous cities and leave them on a few small cities (if you are doing a domination race) as you don't care if their last cities flip. Here, you want to leave them on a cluster of cities that can keep them alive even if they fall in a dark age while you are in a golden age. Also, in this specific case, the archipelago map script makes it convenient to build an entirely naval force which make it impossible to conquer inland cities without levying city-states units. For example, attacking Macedonia early in my game would have been awkward as he had a 12 pop inland city in the middle of his empire and also was in a golden age. With all that said, I only had to mitigate the 'loyalty problem' by slotting the Colonial Offices policy card for a few turns during my game. I also accrued heavy grievances against all AIs and especially against Eleanor who passed 100% grievances against her during the world congress.

Zanzibar was fielding an army of Macedonian Hypaspists
Spoiler :
Civ6Screen0006.jpg

- Bugs
It looks like they fixed the countdown to victory for cv (more accurate)
The artifact bug where it shows the wrong artifact era when you dig it up is still annoyingly in the game.

Attachments

• PERICLES 154 860 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 177
  • Civ6Screen0008.jpg
    Civ6Screen0008.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 214
  • Civ6Screen0009.jpg
    Civ6Screen0009.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Culture victory turn 237 (1236 points; De Gaulle). I settled in place, built warrior – settler and grabbed the extra settler pantheon. All cities were coastal and I prioritised sailing for exploration. Focussed on growth and development given lack of immediate neighbours and secured a couple of early GWs for my arenae. Squeezed 6 cities onto my island and posted first expat city on large S island next to Hong Kong. Peaceful until late medieval and discovery of niter:- I was lucky in that my expat had 2 sources which I used to upgrade units to frigates and muskets. Used these initially to capture Yerevan (which was occupying too many tiles on my island) then conquered France (which was far too cultured for my liking). These adventures caused an Emergency war with Indonesia and Carthage but, beyond annoying Carthaginian ironclads fleets, it passed uneventfully. I bought a couple of late settlers to secure coal and oil sources on minor islands but trade tourism and rock bands brought me home without further wars. I was allied with Persia most of the game (not the best choice as they were unpopular globally) and with Egypt and Macedon for the late game.

I am still not very clear on how Rock Bands work, need to examine this further.

Although I was hailed as Culture victor with victory screen etc (see attached HoF screenshot, which actually shows t235 victory!!), my “one more turn” t237 savegame suggests I have insufficient tourists for victory ????? Not sure what all this means.

Finding good city spots with a suitable hill for an Acropolis was one of the trickier aspects of this game. The extra policy slot for Greece helps greatly with securing early GW for a culture victory and the CS culture bonus adds up as the game progresses; I was suzerain of all the remaining CS by late game. An extremely enjoyable and interesting challenge:- many thanks for the game!!

Attachments

• PERICLES 237 1630 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 140
  • Pericles t235.jpg
    Pericles t235.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Pericles island.jpg
    Pericles island.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 165
Although I was hailed as Culture victor with victory screen etc (see attached HoF screenshot, which actually shows t235 victory!!), my “one more turn” t237 savegame suggests I have insufficient tourists for victory ????? Not sure what all this means.

In general, victory turn times are the Hall of Fame number of turns + 1.
For cultural victories, they are achieved on the turn before the victory screen appears (or 1 turn before your victory save file).
This victory check seems to be performed before the AI accumulates culture during that turn (culture that converts into domestic tourists defense). So if the domestic tourists for the culture leader increases during that turn after the check is performed, it is possible to get a cultural victory with a Visiting tourists / Domestic tourists ratio slightly below 1 as shown on the culture victory panel.

In general, victory turn times are the Hall of Fame number of turns + 1.
For cultural victories, they are achieved on the turn before the victory screen appears (or 1 turn before your victory save file).
This victory check seems to be performed before the AI accumulates culture during that turn (culture that converts into domestic tourists defense). So if the domestic tourists for the culture leader increases during that turn after the check is performed, it is possible to get a cultural victory with a Visiting tourists / Domestic tourists ratio slightly below 1 as shown on the culture victory panel.
Many thanks for the clarification. I rarely look closely at my HoF but I do usually check the tourism "score" after a culture victory and hadn't observed this previously. As you say, AI culture must have received a significant boost during this turn.

As you say, AI culture must have received a significant boost during this turn.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded your save to see what the final ratio was..And it was 216/240
I personally have never witnessed such a jump over 1 turn.
It is theoretically possible if Dido hit multiple (and by that I mean MULTIPLE) inspirations on the same turn. Dido has no spaceport, so she couldn't possibly have launched to the moon.. She is producing 147 cpt which translates to ~+1.5 DT per turn.
Honestly, I think there might have been another bug at play... But all the better for you since it allowed you to finish your game sooner!

Peaceful CV t305 score 1049

Never thought I'd be able to manage on deity level, but finaly got the card to reduce tourism against me by 20% and that did it. Also, I had one rock band that single handedly gained more tourism than all the crap I built. LOL!

Civ6Screen0016.jpg

Attachments

• PERICLES t306 1870 AD sc1049.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 131
Out of curiosity, I downloaded your save to see what the final ratio was..And it was 216/240
I personally have never witnessed such a jump over 1 turn.
It is theoretically possible if Dido hit multiple (and by that I mean MULTIPLE) inspirations on the same turn. Dido has no spaceport, so she couldn't possibly have launched to the moon.. She is producing 147 cpt which translates to ~+1.5 DT per turn.
Honestly, I think there might have been another bug at play... But all the better for you since it allowed you to finish your game sooner!
Very strange. I looked back at my t235 save (I didn't have a t236 save and the autosave had been overwritten) and replayed the final turn as best I could remember:- the only notable feature (which occurred in both original and replay) was a "Legends of Rock" concert giving me 14500 tourism. In both cases I got a t237 victory screen but in the replay I was a clear 217 / 210 tourism winner. I didn't actually notice that Dido had leapt up to be the leading opponent in the original playthrough; Persia was the target at t235 IIRC.

Attachments

• PERICLES 235 1620 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
  • PERICLES 237b 1630 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 136
T216 CV

11 cities founded, 6 cities captured.

Tried to get to Natural History as quick as possible for culture. I messed up real bad in science, I beelined Eiffel for more resorts, then remembered that resorts come with Radio, and I didn’t have enough production for Eiffel anyways. I lost a lot of turns on useless bottom half techs. I then switched to getting radio.

Navy was a bunch of galleys and quadriremes that were instantly upgraded into Caravel’s and Frigates. I built one because naval warfare is really easy and cheap, and I think it’s worth the investment. In retrospect I wish I had invested a lot more into it.

Didn’t use the Hoplite, obviously spammed Acropolis.

Most useful unit was Rock Bands. If it wasn’t for them I think my victory would be at least 20 turns more.

Diplomacy wasn’t too useful, everyone ended up hating me. Early diplo trading with Alex got me a builder, but other then that I didn’t do much trading.

I got Kilwa, so every city state was useful. Lack of culture city states hurt.

My strategy was to expand as fast as possible and spam Acropolis’. I don’t think I achieved this very well, only about 3/4 of my founded cities ended up with Acropolis’. My late game strategy was to use earth goddes faith to spam rock bands, and use immense gold output to buy builders for seaside resorts.

Dark-Heroic-Golden-Normal-Golden. Didn’t have a strategy for these.

Eleanor flipped a city that I took from her, but other then that loyalty had no effect.

I’m not used to island maps, and I rely heavily on trading with the AI early on to buy builders and such. The lack of meeting any other civ hurt in that regard. Also, no culture city states was an unpleasant surprise.

I enjoyed the game, thanks GotM staff for providing it :).

Can't finish the game due to the new patch. Started in the old one, then continued in the new one, but game keeps crashing after some turns. Probably due to continuing already in the new one, the Firaxis fix does not help. Well whatever, the end games are not that interesting in any case, I had already done everything I could to maximize tourism. Last autosave is from turn 222 and probably would have needed about 50 turns for victory. Rock bands I had just bought, but could not afford initially many of them, probably 5.

Greece is of course good for culture. I played peacefully and all but one (no hills) cities had acropolis. GWA were easy to gain.

t350 Diplo
How many cities did you settle, or capture? Settled 11 flipped 2
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Things to boost my culture game.
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Army was a two muskets,two machine guns,a cavalry corps,a tank,and a giant death robot.Navy was a missile cruiser armada,a destroyer armada,and a privateer armada.
- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? I forgot to build it and missed getting a golden age.
- What was your most useful unit? Builder
- Was diplomacy useful? How?Yes,I made alliances with the most powerful civs.I also got everyone to dog pile Dido when she came after me.
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?I suzed most of them and nobody really gave me any trouble about it.
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? I built acropoli everywhere,turned all my mountains into ski resorts,and built a few seaside resorts.I also sent out some rock bands.None of it mattered as Elanor was flirting with a culture victory and Alex had a ship almost to the exo planet.Luckily some late game aid missions enabled me to pull off a diplo victory.
- How many cities did you take with military?Just reconquered one of my own.
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?I had a few darks one golden and my final one was heroic.I missed a couple early goldens by one era score.
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?I didn't have many loyalty issues until the very end and I just made a culture alliance with Saladin.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?Early barb caravels played havoc with exploration and settling.I did my best to avoid them.Pulling out the win was also a surprise.Elanor was within one turn of winning multiple times.
- Did you enjoy your game?Yes.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0349.Civ6Save
    3.3 MB · Views: 132
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

I'm a little confused by this. We are submitting scores here or is there another place to submit?

(And why is someone submitting diplomatic victory when it is required to have a culture victory?)

Turn 178 Culture Victory. Largely peaceful. No conquest. Score = 1163.
(Hall of Fame says T177 CV, score = 1160)

Spoiler Screenshot of the turn after victory :

upload_2020-8-9_21-8-24.png

Produced 10 settlers (not counting capital). Ended up with 13 cities. The extra 2 being one settler grabbed from Dido, and a random southern tundra city settled by Macedon. Both are actually very useful - built Petra and Cristo Redentor in the former, and Eiffel tower in the latter.

After Printing I beelined Flight and Radio (after that I got Computer for the 25% bonus, now looking back maybe it's a better idea to go for Steel and rush Eiffel Tower? Not sure). On Civics I beelined Conservation to unlock National Park (eureka for Radio) and the ability of planting trees, then Mass Media to unlock Cristo Redentor.

Not much. 3 archers and upgraded 2 to crossbowmen. Build two catapult and upgraded to bombards for city state quest and a later inspiration. a few ships - 2 galley one is upgraded to caravel, and 1 privateer from a Great Admiral. Most units end up garrison cities to provide some amenities.

Yeah. Acropolis is very useful. With help of this I controlled all the CS that are alive.

Builders. Got 57 of them. A very early one is taken by barbarian ships when it has 2 charges left. That hurts.
And the most useful improvement is seaside resort. Built 31 of them.

5 allies and mostly friends. Gained a lot of diplomatic favor. Dido conquered a city state and then is willing to pay about 13 gold per favor. Even at the end of the game she is still willing to pay about 10 gold per favor.

I think I used more about the regular bonus. Converted 3 cities for some science from suzerainty of Fez. Yerevan is in game, had 2 apostles and didn't bother to suicide them (too slow to travel by the sea for most of the game).

Classical dark age for the medieval heroic age. The map is kinda weird as the main island of mine is very hilly and the rest of the settleable lands are almost completely flat. So after Printing I beelined Flight and Radio (after that I got Computer for the 25% bonus, now looking back maybe it's a better idea to go for Steel and rush Eiffel Tower? Not sure). On Civics I beelined Conservation to unlock National Park (eureka for Radio) and the ability of planting trees, then Mass Media to unlock Cristo Redentor.

I got Eiffel Tower 3 turns before victory, I believe it still helps.

Tried to get Kilwa but Persia got that before I even start. So I ended up getting Forbidden City in that city.

As a breakdown of the end game tourism of 1129, which I believe is 904 * 1.25 = 1130 with a rounding error:
  • 220 are provided by Great Works (only one of them is a relic).
  • 12 + 9 * 2 + 4 * 3 = 42 are provided by Walls.
  • 1 is provided by an Arena.
  • 6 are provided by Ferris Wheels.
  • 5 are provided by cultural improvement after Flight (just 2 city parks, one of them in a city Liang is not in).
  • 55 are provided by two National Parks.
  • 8 are provided by Holy City of Buddhism.
  • 54 are provided by 9 Ski Resorts. (But they only appeared a few turns before the end.)
  • 63 are provided by 11 Wonders themselves.
  • 450 are provided by 31 Seaside Resorts.
These sums up to 904. After doing this break down I realize that I should settle more city just to build seaside resorts. There were plenty of spots. 1000 faith for 2 cities which would add about 100+ tourism.

Spoiler The city that generate most tourism, more than my capital :

upload_2020-8-9_21-5-41.png

Note that Cristo Redentor added 163 tourism to Seaside Resorts. And then Eiffel Tower added 31 * 4 (Seaside Resorts) + 2 * 8 (National Parks) + 9 * 2 (Ski Resorts) = 158 tourism to improvements.

One blunder I made is chose Sacred Places as the Founder Belief, which only provided 10 culture, 10 science, 10 gold and 10 faith. Had I chosen Cross-Cultural Dialogue and put a bit more emphasis on science (or if AI didn't kill Geneva) I'd get Eiffel Tower quicker and probably win quicker.

Another mistake is to bother with the civic that unlocks Democracy and Merchant Republic. Ignoring them and put a bit more emphasis on culture I can probably get to the Social Media civic and thus the Online Community policy (I have trade route to every Civ).

0, if you don't count the settler I grabbed from Phoenicia.

Classical dark age. Heroic Medieval. Golden Renaissance. Golden Industrial (by the time the world enter Industrial Era there's pretty much nothing to do, could won before world enters that if played more carefully). Planned the classical dark age and used that to get +75% science in two cities.

None. But as I said I got a city from Macedon by loyalty.

Not much, everything is under control.

A little bit. Learnt something new about Greece. Can probably shave 10 turns if I played the 2nd half of the game more carefully.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0179.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I'm a little confused by this. We are submitting scores here or is there another place to submit?

(And why is someone submitting diplomatic victory when it is required to have a culture victory?)
This is a hold over from when we were provided the .dll file from Firaxis and had a separate submission system that parsed the save for data relevant to reloading or cheating. This does not exist for Civ6, but the text is there in the hope that it someday will.

You are not required to win by a certain VC. We specify a VC to make games more comparable, but you have the choice to win by whatever VC you wish.

T229 CV

Settled 8 cities, played totally peacefull - did not have a single war - which was a bit suprising on deity having so weak army.

Second surprise - no cultural CS, nice move from the creator ;)

In the second village I got a relic so along with having Yerevan it made me to go for religion (sucessfully).
In the midgame I made three more relics and with triple bonus from religion they were giving above 100 turism.
I had only one religious district which was probably a mistake according to those rellics but I focused cultural districts. Then I was so bad in science so I had to build a few campuses then bussiness districts and so the time passed ;)
The rest of my turism was classicly from arts and from music bands in the end.

Very nice game - thanks!

Attachments

• PERYKLES 230 1595 n.e.CV229.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 128
  • 20200811011804_1.jpg
    20200811011804_1.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 174
T 251 CV. Went with relics, but when it didn't work out in time, had to conquer everyone anyway..

Attachments

• CV PERICLES 251 1700 AD.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 130
Top Bottom