[DLL] (7-NS) Vassal Unit Tribute - use vassal's units instead of master's, no recon, settler or one-of-a-kind units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Carrot

Chieftain
Counterproposal to:

The current tribute mechanism according to Recursive:
What the code does is loops through each of the master's existing land combat units and adds them to a set of possibilities (with each unique type being granted equal weight). So if the master has a Warrior, four Archers, and two Scouts, there is an equal chance of a Warrior, Archer, or Scout being chosen for each spawn.

The units that the master currently has on the map are used, not the possible units it can build.

The code then creates (# of vassals * 2) units, with each unit being individually and randomly chosen from the set of possibilities.

Proposal: instead of the tribute picking from the master's existing units and forming a bundle for all the vassals, have it pick two from the units each vassal can train, with some exceptions:
  • Units with DefaultUnitAI = UNITAI_EXPLORE, which include Pathfinder, Scout, Explorer, Commando, and Bandeirantes (but does not include Conquistadors);
  • Units that can settle new cities (Conquistador);
  • Units with a limited number - Supercarriers, etc (are there any others?);
  • One-use units - missiles and nukes;
  • Units that cost a strategic resource that the master doesn't have, unless the vassal has it (can just buy it);
  • Units that are direct upgrades to the vassal's UU (the UU is still trainable and should be given instead).
This naturally gives the master the vassal's UU once the vassal builds at least one (except for Brazil, Spain and Assyria (and Polynesia, depending on the Congress results)), and prevents the duplication of the master's UU and possible other civs' UUs gained from Military CS or France's unit capture.
The policy-unlocked unit limitation from 7-86a is removed because, unless I'm misremembering something, the only policy-unlocked units are Authority's mercenaries, which aren't all that different from regular infantry of the same tier (unless the gold-on-heal proposal passes, in which case, change this one to exclude them specifically), and ideological units, which would be the same for the master and the vassal as vassals adopt the master's ideology.
The newly-added limitation prevents the potential way to circumvent the unit limit.

Rationale: I don't remember any recent discussions about vassal balance, but iirc a year or two ago it was agreed that vassalizing AI civs is super strong and you're basically obligated to get at least one or two to win on the highest difficulties. I likewise don't remember any changes to vassalage in that time (and a quick search through the Passed Proposals subforum yielded no results), so I assume the problem persists (and in my last game a year ago my vassal certainly helped). I understand that the primary way that vassals contribute to the master's power is by giving away their :c5science:Science and :c5culture:Culture, but buffing their other bonuses doesn't help solve the issue.
This version also makes a bit more thematic sense to me as the vassal wouldn't send the units it has no way of getting itself, and could send something outdated if the master is too greedy and takes away all of its gold. Very colonial.

I think ideally we'd change the system to something more configurable, where the master chooses what the vassalage contract will focus on (science, culture, units, gold, possibly multiple of those at the cost of even lower opinion), and to what extent, kind of like it currently works with the adjustable gold tax, and also that the era tribute actually physically gives some of the vassal's existing units to the master, but as I couldn't come up with a complete system, I wanted to at least steer the incoming minor change in that direction.

Amended to exclude the Siege Tower from the exceptions (not a military unit), and add the resource and UU-upgrade exceptions.

Last edited:
Siege Towers aren't military units. You can safely remove them from the restrictions.

How's this different from mine, btw?

Siege Towers aren't military units. You can safely remove them from the restrictions.
Thanks, amended. Also included one of your later additions and one other restriction.
How's this different from mine, btw?
See the first line:
Instead of the tribute picking from the master's existing units and forming a bundle for all the vassals, have it pick two from the units each vassal can train
I've reread your proposal and now see that you form the pool by unit class. Did I miss it before, or did you add it in your amendment 10 minutes after my post? :p Anyway, coupled with your first two exclusions, there really is little change now, unless the master has no units of a certain class the vassal can build, I suppose. Although that is kind of thematic, like Greek and Roman cavalry usually being recruited from allies. Can also get a tank instantly after researching combustion if you have a GPTI or a city on oil, that's funny. That, and I allow ideological units and a limited way to get strategic-starved units I guess? I think I'll just keep this and vote for both, unless this check is way harder to compute or something, might withdraw it in that case.

Did I miss it before, or did you add it in your amendment 10 minutes after my post?
You missed it. That has always been there.

So there's a slight difference that in your proposal vassals can gift masters units the latter can't train.
And some differences in the restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom